American Soldiers - Profiles In Bravery

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

First Prev
of 860
Next Last

Since: Nov 08

Chicago, IL

#1 Jul 21, 2009
This is a site dedicated to those who have made the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our great land. I plan on highlighting acts of extreme bravery in the face of adversity and I hope to give voice to the ones who will never come home to us. It's my hope that the true American spirit of sacrifice and teamwork to achieve a goal, will shine through in these tales of selfless acts.

Trolls and troublemakers will be ignored and immediately reported.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Chicago, IL

#2 Jul 21, 2009
Here is an excellent article on Medal of Honor winners. The author makes some good points.

http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_...

“Keeping my fingers crossed ...”

Since: Aug 07

Life's enduring gifts

#3 Jul 21, 2009
I look forward to being a part of this.

Chicago, IL

#4 Jul 21, 2009
ADAMS, JAMES F.

Rank and organization: Private, Company D, 1st West Virginia Cavalry. Place and date: At Nineveh, Va., 12 November 1864. Entered service at:------. Birth: Cabell County, Va. Date of issue: 26 November 1864. Citation: Capture of State flag of 14th Virginia Cavalry (C.S.A.)

Private James F. Adams captured the State flag of the 14th Virginia Calvary. He's listed first alphabetically in Medal of Honor winners. At that time to capture the other sides flag meant that they were all but defeated and the battle was near over. So to capture the enemy's flag meant saving the lives of countless soldiers on both sides. The flag was usually well protected so a person trying to capture it had to fight their way through these defenses.

I would imagine that Private Adams possessed uncommon drive to keep advancing until his goal was achieved. As the world around his position was erupting into such terrible violence, with the noise of a thousand guns, field artillery, the war cries of those still on their feet and the cries and prayers of the wounded, he would have had to ignore his fear and natural need to save his own life and keep this one goal as his only thought. Or was he in the right place at the right time and simply pick it up?

I plan on researching this further.

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 21, 2009
RiverSpirit wrote:
I look forward to being a part of this.
River Spirit is in da house. You're more than welcome, my friend.

Life's enduring gifts

#7 Jul 21, 2009
Arise Chicago Poet wrote:
<quoted text>
River Spirit is in da house. You're more than welcome, my friend.
Have you ever thought of writing a book about this?

Chicago, IL

#8 Jul 21, 2009
RiverSpirit wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you ever thought of writing a book about this?
I have actually. Interviewing families of those who've received the Medal of Honor would be so interesting! I would imagine that their pride would just percolate from them the entire time they were recounting their loved one's achievements.
truth will set you free

San Angelo, TX

#9 Jul 21, 2009

“Incorrupta fides, nudaque veri”

Since: May 07

Vincit qui se vincit

#10 Jul 21, 2009

Life's enduring gifts

#11 Jul 21, 2009
Here is an excellent article on Medal of Honor winners. The author makes some good points.
http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_...
I never really thought about it in terms of "winning" versus "earning". Some excellent points.

Chicago, IL

#12 Jul 21, 2009
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>
Was this all you could find?
LMAO
There's my bro! How was the tournament? E-mail me with the outcome bud.

Chicago, IL

#13 Jul 21, 2009
Behold A Hero In The Playground Of The Lord

Sgt. Brandon E. Adams
Hometown: Hollidaysburg, PA
Date Of Death: 9/19/2004
Incident Location: Fallujah, Iraq
Branch of Military: Army
Unit: 1'st Battalion, 32'nd. Infantry Regiment, 10'th. Mountain Division
Unit's Base: Fort Drum, NY

Obituary
When Brandon E. Adams managed to speak a few words to his family, they hoped the worst had passed. He had been badly injured Feb. 16 in Fallujah when a grenade exploded as he was clearing a house. Doctors in Baghdad were able to remove six pieces of shrapnel from his head, but they had to leave three pieces behind and remove parts of his skull. He spent the next several months in hospitals in Germany and the United States. "He was improving very slowly. His mind was good and all his vital signs were fine," said Melda Bricker, Adams' Grandmother. "He had started to say a few words." Adams, 22, died at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, DC. A 2000 high school graduate, Adams enlisted in the Army after graduation and served for more than two years in Alaska. Adams wrestled during high school and liked camping and hiking. He is survived by his parents.

Dear Brave Sgt. Brandon E. Adams,

Please accept your country's gratitude for the brave young man you were. You answered the call to arms and you did your job without question. And now you rest in God's Kingdom, never more to know the horrors of war you faced with such courage. Sleep well dear son of parents who, like all of us, hold you forever in their hearts. Think of us who you've had to leave behind and know that you have made your country a better place for having walked among us.

Arise Chicago Poet

Chicago, IL

#14 Jul 21, 2009
Here's the discharge date of Private Adams.
Discharged at Hall's Hill, Va., S. O. 235, Par. 74, War Dept., A. G. O., Washington, D. C , May 17,'65.

Vincit qui se vincit

#15 Jul 21, 2009
Sgt. Brandon E. Adams
Hometown: Hollidaysburg, PA
Date Of Death: 9/19/2004
Incident Location: Fallujah, Iraq
Unit: 1'st Battalion, 32'nd. Infantry Regiment, 10'th. Mountain Division
Unit's Base: Fort Drum, NY
Obituary
When Brandon E. Adams managed to speak a few words to his family, they hoped the worst had passed. He had been badly injured Feb. 16 in Fallujah when a grenade exploded as he was clearing a house. Doctors in Baghdad were able to remove six pieces of shrapnel from his head, but they had to leave three pieces behind and remove parts of his skull. He spent the next several months in hospitals in Germany and the United States. "He was improving very slowly. His mind was good and all his vital signs were fine," said Melda Bricker, Adams' Grandmother. "He had started to say a few words." Adams, 22, died at Walter Reed Medical Center in Washington, DC. A 2000 high school graduate, Adams enlisted in the Army after graduation and served for more than two years in Alaska. Adams wrestled during high school and liked camping and hiking. He is survived by his parents.
Dear Brave Sgt. Brandon E. Adams,
Please accept your country's gratitude for the brave young man you were. You answered the call to arms and you did your job without question. And now you rest in God's Kingdom, never more to know the horrors of war you faced with such courage. Sleep well dear son of parents who, like all of us, hold you forever in their hearts. Think of us who you've had to leave behind and know that you have made your country a better place for having walked among us.
Arise Chicago Poet
R.I.P. Brandon E. Adams
truth will set you free

San Angelo, TX

#16 Jul 21, 2009
Ricky F wrote:
<quoted text>
Was this all you could find?
LMAO
i will try harder next time!!!!!

Chicago, IL

#17 Jul 21, 2009

Sgt. 1'st. Class Brent A. Adams
Hometown: West View, PA
Date of Death: 12/1/2005
Incident Location: Ramadi, Iraq
Unit: 2'nd. Brigade Combat Team, 28'th. Infantry Division
Unit's Base: Washington, PA

Obituary
Adams was a member of Headquarters Company. "I am deeply saddened that yet another fine Pennsylvania National Guardsman has paid the ultimate sacrifice fighting the global war on terrorism," Gov. Edward G. Rendell said. "Our deepest sympathies are with the Adams family during this difficult time, and I ask you to keep all our brave soldiers in your thoughts and prayers this holiday season." Adams was about a half way through a yearlong tour of duty in Iraq, where he supervised mechanics who repair military vehicles, said his wife, Marilyn Adams. She said her husband worried more about the soldiers he oversaw than he did about himself. "I used to get mad at him because he knew there was not enough time to let everyone go home on leave and he used to say,' I want all my troops to have a chance to go home before me.'" Adams was a 1983 graduate of Hempfield High School in Landisville, and a 1995 graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He joined the Pennsylvania National Guard in September 1987. As a civilian, he was a technician with sprint.

Dear Brave Sgt. 1'st. Class Brent A Adams,

It is with great sorrow that I write this to you now. There is so much more we could have learned from and experienced with you. It may be that God needed you more than we did and you are once again leading and looking after those who come where you are, confused and scared. My hope is they have someone like you to guide them in this next phase of their journey. Your passing leaves us a lesser people for no longer having your company, but a stronger people as well for the strength and courage you displayed are now a part of those you trained. I wish you Godspeed soldier. Enjoy your well-earned rest in God's Heaven. Soon you will embrace your loved ones who mourn your passing while the pride of having known you comforts them. You answered the call to duty and you have given all you were to the cause. You have earned our undying respect brave soul.

Arise Chicago Poet
Cherianne

Johannesburg, South Africa

#18 Jul 21, 2009
RIP soldier.

Vincit qui se vincit

#19 Jul 22, 2009
Sgt. 1'st. Class Brent A. Adams
Hometown: West View, PA
Date of Death: 12/1/2005
Incident Location: Ramadi, Iraq
Unit: 2'nd. Brigade Combat Team, 28'th. Infantry Division
Unit's Base: Washington, PA
Obituary
Adams was a member of Headquarters Company. "I am deeply saddened that yet another fine Pennsylvania National Guardsman has paid the ultimate sacrifice fighting the global war on terrorism," Gov. Edward G. Rendell said. "Our deepest sympathies are with the Adams family during this difficult time, and I ask you to keep all our brave soldiers in your thoughts and prayers this holiday season." Adams was about a half way through a yearlong tour of duty in Iraq, where he supervised mechanics who repair military vehicles, said his wife, Marilyn Adams. She said her husband worried more about the soldiers he oversaw than he did about himself. "I used to get mad at him because he knew there was not enough time to let everyone go home on leave and he used to say,' I want all my troops to have a chance to go home before me.'" Adams was a 1983 graduate of Hempfield High School in Landisville, and a 1995 graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania. He joined the Pennsylvania National Guard in September 1987. As a civilian, he was a technician with sprint.
Dear Brave Sgt. 1'st. Class Brent A Adams,
It is with great sorrow that I write this to you now. There is so much more we could have learned from and experienced with you. It may be that God needed you more than we did and you are once again leading and looking after those who come where you are, confused and scared. My hope is they have someone like you to guide them in this next phase of their journey. Your passing leaves us a lesser people for no longer having your company, but a stronger people as well for the strength and courage you displayed are now a part of those you trained. I wish you Godspeed soldier. Enjoy your well-earned rest in God's Heaven. Soon you will embrace your loved ones who mourn your passing while the pride of having known you comforts them. You answered the call to duty and you have given all you were to the cause. You have earned our undying respect brave soul.
Arise Chicago Poet
Another Hero!

Great post

Life's enduring gifts

#21 Jul 22, 2009
Hi guys. I'm really enjoying this thread. Keep up the good work, CP.

Chicago, IL

#22 Jul 22, 2009
RiverSpirit wrote:
Hi guys. I'm really enjoying this thread. Keep up the good work, CP.
Thanks buddy, you're helping to make it good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 860
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Insults Are Easier 775,243
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min Rick in Kansas 265,141
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min guest 559,472
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 11 min royal kannadiga 1,265
Last Word + 2 33 min andet1987 979
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 35 min andet1987 5,108
horny girls want to text???? (Mar '14) 48 min explosion 20
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Lost In Transition 175,630
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Ugly Truth from d... 604,998
More from around the web