This is pathetic and a desperate attempt to save the disappearing dignity of Mitt Romney. This is not worth consideration primarily because of the source, a Murdoch tabloid.
...... more attempts by the Right to use the deaths of our diplomats as a spring board to influence public opinion for political gain....... is there no shame!
News Flash..........Obama Messes up!!
Friday, September 14, 2012
US had 48 hours notice of Benghazi attack, did nothing?
London's Daily Independent is reporting that the United States knew 48 hours before the attack on its consulate in Benghazi, Libya... and did nothing (Hat Tip: Riehl World View).
American officials believe the attack was planned, but Chris Stevens had been back in the country only a short while and the details of his visit to Benghazi, where he and his staff died, were meant to be confidential.
According to senior diplomatic sources, the US State Department had credible information 48 hours before mobs charged the consulate in Benghazi, and the embassy in Cairo, that American missions may be targeted, but no warnings were given for diplomats to go on high alert and "lockdown", under which movement is severely restricted.
Mr Stevens had been on a visit to Germany, Austria and Sweden and had just returned to Libya when the Benghazi trip took place with the US embassy's security staff deciding that the trip could be undertaken safely.
Eight Americans, some from the military, were wounded in the attack which claimed the lives of Mr Stevens, Sean Smith, an information officer, and two US Marines. All staff from Benghazi have now been moved to the capital, Tripoli, and those whose work is deemed to be non-essential may be flown out of Libya.
In the meantime a Marine Corps FAST Anti-Terrorism Reaction Team has already arrived in the country from a base in Spain and other personnel are believed to be on the way. Additional units have been put on standby to move to other states where their presence may be needed in the outbreak of anti-American fury triggered by publicity about a film which demeaned the Prophet Mohamed.
What's worse is that some very important papers are apparently missing.
Sensitive documents have gone missing from the consulate in Benghazi and the supposedly secret location of the "safe house" in the city, where the staff had retreated, came under sustained mortar attack. Other such refuges across the country are no longer deemed "safe".
Some of the missing papers from the consulate are said to list names of Libyans who are working with Americans, putting them potentially at risk from extremist groups, while some of the other documents are said to relate to oil contracts.
The Obama administration is denying this story (Hat Tip: Memeorandum).
Shawn Turner, spokesman for the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, emailed:“This is absolutely wrong. We are not aware of any actionable intelligence indicating that an attack on the U.S. Mission in Benghazi was planned or imminent.”
I don't believe that anyone in the Obama administration really knows what's going on any more, and I don't believe they can be trusted to tell the truth even if they did?