Brotherhood advances to second round in Egypt election

Full story: Fox News 27
The candidate of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood won a spot in a runoff election, according to partial results Friday from Egypt's first genuinely competitive presidential election. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Nov 09

Podolsk, Russia

#1 May 25, 2012
Egypt used to be a good place to spend vocations but now it seems they will lost all the tuerists. Not too many will go to a country which is run by islamic bigots.

“I am here for a laugh ”

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#2 May 26, 2012
Alexey25 wrote:
Egypt used to be a good place to spend vocations but now it seems they will lost all the tuerists. Not too many will go to a country which is run by islamic bigots.
I will vote for the MB so you stop coming over .

Podolsk, Russia

#3 May 28, 2012
Marshal Tantawy wrote:
<quoted text>
I will vote for the MB so you stop coming over .
And will prove to the people that islam brings poverty only.
danetoo

London, UK

#4 May 28, 2012
In an extraordinary World Have Your Say programme soon after Mubarak's fall, two leading Muslim brotherhood members were asked questions by the listeners and by the BBC host, who put the following question to one of them:

Is it still the case that the Muslim Brotherhood has no desire to win the presidency?

This was the response:

"Oh yes. We have declared many times that we will not nominate a person for the presidential campaign."

And who was the Muslim Brotherhood leader who uttered those words? None other than Dr. Mohammed Morsi.

Well, he wont be the first politician to lie, that's for sure. Still, that statement may well come back to haunt him.

The theme promoted throughout the programme by Morsi and a spokesman from London, Dr. Ahmed Fahmi, was that the will of the people must prevail and that the Muslim Brotherhood would be quite content to stand aside and allow it to prevail.

Neither of them would directly answer the following question, which was put to them repeatedly by the frustrated host:

Does the Muslim Brotherhood accept Israel's right to exist?

Fahmi claimed that they would accept a Jew as president if that was the will of the people.(Easy to say that, since the veracity of the statement will never be tested.)

On whether a Moslem could convert to Christianity, Morsi claimed that was fine, unless he made a movement out of his choice, thereby threatening the society. If he was prepared to become a Christian in the privacy of his own home, no problem - which of course begs the question: how would he be able to worship?

On intermarriage, a Muslim man was free to marry a non-Muslim woman but the reverse was unacceptable.

On a woman assuming the presidency, that was not really OK, since there are "small" differences between women and men which would preclude such an option. Besides, women have domestic duties.

That might be enough to go on with for now.

Podolsk, Russia

#5 May 28, 2012
What are you waiting for from muslim bigots? It was sure that after the fall Mubarak`s regime not democracy nut THEY will prevail. People like Mubarak were exactly what coutnries like Egypt really need. Because the alternative is people like MB. There is no other choice.

danetoo

London, UK

#6 May 28, 2012
From Reuters ...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/25/us-...

Calling himself the only authentic Islamist in the race, Mursi has targeted devout voters whose support helped the Brotherhood and the ultra-orthodox Salafi Islamist movement to secure 70 percent of parliament seats earlier this year.

He has promised to implement Islamic sharia during rallies peppered with references to the Koran, God and the Prophet Mohammad and occasionally interrupted by pauses for mass prayer.

But he has seldom spelt out what that would mean for Egypt, where piety runs deep and the constitution already defines the principles of Islamic law as the main source of legislation.

Mursi has called for a review of Cairo's 1979 peace treaty with Israel, saying Egypt's neighbor has not respected the agreement, a line mirroring that of most of the other candidates in the race. The group has said it will not tear up the deal.

"We will take a serious step towards a better future, God willing," Mursi said at his final campaign rally on Sunday, promising to combat any corrupt hangers-on from Mubarak's era.

"If they take a step to take us backwards, to forge the will (of the people) and fiddle with security, we know who they are," he said. "We will throw them in the rubbish bin of history."

Mursi has cast himself as a reluctant latecomer to the election who is running for the sake of the nation and God.

EMPHASIS ON SHARIA

A stocky, bespectacled man with a grey-white beard, Mursi has traveled across Egypt promoting the Brotherhood's "renaissance project" - an 80-page manifesto based on what it terms its "centrist understanding" of Islam.

His success has dismayed non-Islamists, not least Christians who make up about a tenth of the population, unconvinced by promises that freedoms will be safe in a Brotherhood-led Egypt.

"It was for the sake of the Islamic sharia that men were ... thrown into prison. Their blood and existence rests on our shoulders now," Mursi said during one campaign rally.

"We will work together to realize their dream of implementing sharia," said the Brotherhood contender, who himself spent time in jail under Mubarak.

Mursi, who obtained his doctorate from the United States, is a long-serving, influential figure in the Brotherhood, a movement outlawed under Mubarak but which won close to half of the seats in parliamentary elections held after his overthrow.

Mursi ran only after the electoral commission barred Khairat al-Shater, the Brotherhood's preferred candidate, in April.

Like other Islamist contenders, Mursi has courted the ultra-orthodox Salafi Islamist movement, which has emerged in the past year to challenge the Brotherhood's dominance.

The Nour Party, a Salafi group that won more than a fifth of the seats in the parliamentary vote, endorsed Mursi's main Islamist rival, Abol Fotouh, who parted ways with the Brotherhood last year and cast himself as a moderate.

----------

Poor Egypt.
Spathis

Vancouver, Canada

#7 May 28, 2012
danetoo wrote:
From Reuters ...
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/05/25/us-...
Calling himself the only authentic Islamist in the race, Mursi has targeted devout voters whose support helped the Brotherhood and the ultra-orthodox Salafi Islamist movement to secure 70 percent of parliament seats earlier this year.
He has promised to implement Islamic sharia during rallies peppered with references to the Koran, God and the Prophet Mohammad and occasionally interrupted by pauses for mass prayer.
But he has seldom spelt out what that would mean for Egypt, where piety runs deep and the constitution already defines the principles of Islamic law as the main source of legislation.
Mursi has called for a review of Cairo's 1979 peace treaty with Israel, saying Egypt's neighbor has not respected the agreement, a line mirroring that of most of the other candidates in the race. The group has said it will not tear up the deal.
"We will take a serious step towards a better future, God willing," Mursi said at his final campaign rally on Sunday, promising to combat any corrupt hangers-on from Mubarak's era.
"If they take a step to take us backwards, to forge the will (of the people) and fiddle with security, we know who they are," he said. "We will throw them in the rubbish bin of history."
Mursi has cast himself as a reluctant latecomer to the election who is running for the sake of the nation and God.
EMPHASIS ON SHARIA
A stocky, bespectacled man with a grey-white beard, Mursi has traveled across Egypt promoting the Brotherhood's "renaissance project" - an 80-page manifesto based on what it terms its "centrist understanding" of Islam.
His success has dismayed non-Islamists, not least Christians who make up about a tenth of the population, unconvinced by promises that freedoms will be safe in a Brotherhood-led Egypt.
"It was for the sake of the Islamic sharia that men were ... thrown into prison. Their blood and existence rests on our shoulders now," Mursi said during one campaign rally.
"We will work together to realize their dream of implementing sharia," said the Brotherhood contender, who himself spent time in jail under Mubarak.
Mursi, who obtained his doctorate from the United States, is a long-serving, influential figure in the Brotherhood, a movement outlawed under Mubarak but which won close to half of the seats in parliamentary elections held after his overthrow.
Mursi ran only after the electoral commission barred Khairat al-Shater, the Brotherhood's preferred candidate, in April.
Like other Islamist contenders, Mursi has courted the ultra-orthodox Salafi Islamist movement, which has emerged in the past year to challenge the Brotherhood's dominance.
The Nour Party, a Salafi group that won more than a fifth of the seats in the parliamentary vote, endorsed Mursi's main Islamist rival, Abol Fotouh, who parted ways with the Brotherhood last year and cast himself as a moderate.
----------
Poor Egypt.
The Jewish State's reporter.
Consider the source-'Reuter'!!
We all know who Reuter represent!
Don't worry about Egypt Danish pastry -mind your own business and these people with history that puts your tribe's to shame will find their own way-arab hater
danetoo

UK

#8 May 28, 2012
Spathis wrote:
<quoted text>The Jewish State's reporter.
Don't worry about Egypt Danish pastry -mind your own business and these people with history that puts your tribe's to shame will find their own way-arab hater
All I have to say to you - you are a left over relic from the extreme left 80s - never moved on - you are a florid racist (except in relation to the "right races") and a real Jew hater ...

Just because it was a Reuters article you go into a kind of spontaneous combustion of arab self righteousness ... Bloody pathetic ... And very very out of date now ...
danetoo

UK

#9 May 28, 2012
Spathis wrote:
<quoted text>The Jewish State's reporter.
And oh - forgot mention - the above article was quoted in guardian and independent from where I took it - but perhaps they, too, have been infested with yuids now *sigh*- where will it all end - they are taking over again !!!! Burn 'em all - isn't that right, spatbaby??
Spathis

Vancouver, Canada

#10 May 28, 2012
danetoo wrote:
<quoted text>
All I have to say to you - you are a left over relic from the extreme left 80s - never moved on - you are a florid racist (except in relation to the "right races") and a real Jew hater ...
Just because it was a Reuters article you go into a kind of spontaneous combustion of arab self righteousness ... Bloody pathetic ... And very very out of date now ...
I am younger than you pastry cook-You are an arab hater because you were married to a jew and your family lives in israel-simple to the point and as a Dane a right wing nut.
My work is International and you are a pastry cook with a commensurate intellect knickerless wonder,.
Spathis

Vancouver, Canada

#11 May 28, 2012
danetoo wrote:
<quoted text>
And oh - forgot mention - the above article was quoted in guardian and independent from where I took it - but perhaps they, too, have been infested with yuids now *sigh*- where will it all end - they are taking over again !!!! Burn 'em all - isn't that right, spatbaby??
Pathetic racist!
danetoo

UK

#12 May 28, 2012
Spathis wrote:
<quoted text>I am younger than you pastry cook-You are an arab hater because you were married to a jew and your family lives in israel-simple to the point and as a Dane a right wing nut.
My work is International and you are a pastry cook with a commensurate intellect knickerless wonder,.
Who gives a damn how old you are actually - it's the attitude - relic from a different era where things were pc in a completely different way

You still term me "Arab hater" because I don't flatter and fall flat on my arse with admiration of arab males on here.

I am proud of my business and my skills at the patisserie which is very very competitive and you have to be very creative and extremely good to make it - which I am ...

Apart from which I hold down a very skilled professional job ...

So I think you are way under estimating what I am about ... Not that it makes a difference particularly - when you call a married Muslim woman a "sharmoota" and a black man a "shoe shine immigrant boy" - tells me more about your own level of education and skills and behaviour than any degree you may or may not have ....
Spathis

Vancouver, Canada

#13 May 28, 2012
danetoo wrote:
<quoted text>
Who gives a damn how old you are actually - it's the attitude - relic from a different era where things were pc in a completely different way
You still term me "Arab hater" because I don't flatter and fall flat on my arse with admiration of arab males on here.
I am proud of my business and my skills at the patisserie which is very very competitive and you have to be very creative and extremely good to make it - which I am ...
So I think you are way under estimating what I am about ... Not that it makes a difference particularly - when you call a married Muslim woman a "sharmoota" and a black man a "shoe shine immigrant boy" - tells me more about your own level of education and skills and behaviour than any degree you may or may not have ....
Patronising malevolent shiksa
danetoo

Walton, UK

#14 May 28, 2012
Post-Menopausal Male Shiznit
IL Principe

Aarhus, Denmark

#15 May 28, 2012
Spathis wrote:
<quoted text>I am younger than you pastry cook-You are an arab hater because you were married to a jew and your family lives in israel-simple to the point and as a Dane a right wing nut.
hahahahahahahahahahaahahahhaha hahah - my "work" is "international"....s ure it is....you suck sailors from all over the world.
IL Principe

Aarhus, Denmark

#16 May 28, 2012
danetoo wrote:
<quoted text>
He is in prison, Danetoo. I really mean that. He is in prison. And he will probably never get out again. If you really want to check it out you may even be able to find his pathetic wannabe greek name somewhere. Poor man.

http://gangstersout.blogspot.com/2011/06/vern...

“I am here for a laugh ”

Location hidden

#17 May 29, 2012
Alexey25 wrote:
<quoted text>
And will prove to the people that islam brings poverty only.
BS Most poor people in Egypt survive through Jobs or charities given by MB companies and organizations .

Do not talk about something you have no idea about Dickhead.

“O'er the land of the free ? ”

Since: Jan 09

Don't Tread On Me

#18 May 29, 2012
Marshal Tantawy wrote:
<quoted text>
BS Most poor people in Egypt survive through Jobs or charities given by MB companies and organizations .
Do not talk about something you have no idea about Dickhead.
I'm rooting for the the brothers to win.

In fact I can't wait.

They will turn the place in to an authoritarian state in no time.

You may remember that Humas won the support of the people by charity then when they got the power had running street battles with Fata and kicked them out.

The brothers will bring the same one party solution to Egypt and the international community will shun them like Humas is.

Egypt is not ready for a multi party system , that's only going to happen , if ever , after all the actors show true colors.

“I am here for a laugh ”

Location hidden

#19 May 29, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>I'm rooting for the the brothers to win.
In fact I can't wait.
You may remember that Humas won the support of the people by charity then when they got the power had running street battles with Fata and kicked them out.
The brothers will bring the same one party solution to Egypt and the international community will shun them like Humas is.
Egypt is not ready for a multi party system , that's only going to happen , if ever , after all the actors show true colors.
I want them to win so your government does not have any further excuses to send their useless 1.5 billion shit.
Enough wasting American taxpayer money.
As for what will happen later on if they win , this is non of your business.

“I am here for a laugh ”

Location hidden

#20 May 29, 2012
Where Is My America wrote:
<quoted text>I'm rooting for the the brothers to win.
In fact I can't wait.
There is a big difference between Hamas an organisation under siege and occupation with nearly no resources and A country like Egypt.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories - Egypt Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Egypt arrests 25 men in bath house raid Dec 9 Rainbow Kid 7
Living in fear: Egypt's gay community Dec 9 Belle Sexton 5
Questions and answers on Egypt's Mubarak ruling Dec 4 coyote 2
Analysis: Egypt's revolution is dead Nov 29 mjjcpa 1
McCain calls ouster of Egyptian president a 'coup' (Aug '13) Nov 27 Hooogle It 60
Egypt Opens Crossing to Gaza for 1st Time in Month Nov 26 Ratloder 1
Habbi Nov '14 Mayokween 1
More from around the web