Burn 'em! Lawmakers outraged US Olympic uniforms are made in China

Full story: The Washington Post

Uniforms for U.S. Olympic athletes are American red, white and blue - but made in China.
Comments
1 - 20 of 96 Comments Last updated Jul 19, 2012
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Yay te hay

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jul 12, 2012
 
How long has the US been trading with China?
Yay te hay

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jul 12, 2012
 
Before it was the US?
Yay te hay

Winnemucca, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jul 12, 2012
 
Lawmakers sew also ...what do they sew? What's the uniform code?
Cat74

Mchenry, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jul 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Where did Reid think the Uniforms would be made. Democrats killed the clothing manufacturing in R I in the 1970s.
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jul 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

CrazeeCatLadee wrote:
Where did Reid think the Uniforms would be made. Democrats killed the clothing manufacturing in R I in the 1970s.
Liar. Clothing was made all over the U.S. until greedy big business moved the jobs offshore, with help from their reTHUGlican cohorts in Congress.
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jul 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

THIS is what "lawmakers" do instead of solving the country's REAL problems. Stand on their hind legs and protest wildly about irrelevant crap.
KeepGitmoOpen

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jul 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Must be more Obama outsourcing.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jul 12, 2012
 
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar. Clothing was made all over the U.S. until greedy big business moved the jobs offshore, with help from their reTHUGlican cohorts in Congress.
of course. and look who pushed the contacts with China in the first place, and why. for money from cheap labor, and cheap imports.
KeepGitmoOpen

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jul 12, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
Liar. Clothing was made all over the U.S. until greedy big business moved the jobs offshore, with help from their reTHUGlican cohorts in Congress.
you are so clueless harvey the hypo. Its more sad then anything else do yourself a favor and buy a vowel
LRS

Shreveport, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jul 12, 2012
 
If this isn't a slap in the face of all Americans, I don't know what is. Pathetic. Made in China is worthless.
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jul 13, 2012
 
KeepinGmYmouthOpen wrote:
Must be more Obama outsourcing.
"Must be Obama's fault, somehow."

LOL....moron.
KeepGitmoOpen

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jul 13, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
"Must be Obama's fault, somehow."
LOL....moron.
aht a boy harvey the hypo now you are on the right track admitting its Obama's fault and he is a moron!
See what happens when Romney stops running things those unifroms were made in the USA when Romney saved the olympics, and November he will save us from Obama.

Military, stimulus, clothing, doesnt matter Obama will outsource it.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jul 13, 2012
 
KeepGitmoOpen wrote:
<quoted text>aht a boy harvey the hypo now you are on the right track admitting its Obama's fault and he is a moron!
See what happens when Romney stops running things those unifroms were made in the USA when Romney saved the olympics, and November he will save us from Obama.
Military, stimulus, clothing, doesnt matter Obama will outsource it.
50,000 American businesses moved to China between 2002-2008, when Bush was in office. Clinton started outsourcing to Mexico with NAFTA, and Ross Perot said it would destroy the U.S. Then, when the Soviet Union collapsed China and India decided to go capitalist and China began to get our manufacturing jobs and manufacturing jobs from European countries. That's why now the West at large has high unemployment. Everyone was all for it, the Dems, the Repubs, and they all figured that our people would go to college and take higher paying, more highly skilled jobs. Today we no longer have people who can even take jobs in the trades, we do not have people trained enough to take the higher level manufacturing jobs, and we also lost out on 5 million jobs we were offered in computer science and in engineering because our young people did not get trained in those two fields. Now that the politicians found out that Americans have slipped way down in education and in IQ levels, they all demonize China and make the outsourcing that they ALL did out to be the bad guy. 50,000 American businesses betrayed this country, Americans did it, no one told them to do it, and it was all good as long as Americans were able to buy cheap stuff from Walmart. Now that the politicians found out the people are stupid and hate college and can't take a job now they have to try to bring the dumbed down manufacturing jobs back here so a country that slipped to 25th in education can get employed in dummy jobs again. This is the fault of the people, same with them all being fat now. It's the fault of wealthly manufacturers that they left the country for super cheap labor and so they could pollute the crap out of China for free. It was all about money. Now the media goes on and on about China as if some one evil bad guy sent all of the jobs to China. No, Clinton did so, Bush did so in mass, Obama went into office when all had already been done. The jobs were long gone to China by the time Obama got into office, and, Romney did not have one thing to do with any of it. You all want cheap stuff, low prices, then you end up with no manufacturing jobs and a huge trade imbalance. The people and the greedy manufacturers created this mess. If you want cheap crap from China you all need to go to college so you can take the high paying engineering jobs. Do something constructive for yourselves so your IQs stop being so low. You're so dumb you are blaming Obama for 12 previous years of outsourcing. Get a clue. Read a book, take a college class.
KeepGitmoOpen

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jul 13, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>50,000 American businesses moved to China between 2002-2008, when Bush was in office. Clinton started outsourcing to Mexico with NAFTA, and Ross Perot said it would destroy the U.S. Then, when the Soviet Union collapsed China and India decided to go capitalist and China began to get our manufacturing jobs and manufacturing jobs from European countries. That's why now the West at large has high unemployment. Everyone was all for it, the Dems, the Repubs, and they all figured that our people would go to college and take higher paying, more highly skilled jobs. Today we no longer have people who can even take jobs in the trades, we do not have people trained enough to take the higher level manufacturing jobs, and we also lost out on 5 million jobs we were offered in computer science and in engineering because our young people did not get trained in those two fields. Now that the politicians found out that Americans have slipped way down in education and in IQ levels, they all demonize China and make the outsourcing that they ALL did out to be the bad guy. 50,000 American businesses betrayed this country, Americans did it, no one told them to do it, and it was all good as long as Americans were able to buy cheap stuff from Walmart. Now that the politicians found out the people are stupid and hate college and can't take a job now they have to try to bring the dumbed down manufacturing jobs back here so a country that slipped to 25th in education can get employed in dummy jobs again. This is the fault of the people, same with them all being fat now. It's the fault of wealthly manufacturers that they left the country for super cheap labor and so they could pollute the crap out of China for free. It was all about money. Now the media goes on and on about China as if some one evil bad guy sent all of the jobs to China. No, Clinton did so, Bush did so in mass, Obama went into office when all had already been done. The jobs were long gone to China by the time Obama got into office, and, Romney did not have one thing to do with any of it. You all want cheap stuff, low prices, then you end up with no manufacturing jobs and a huge trade imbalance. The people and the greedy manufacturers created this mess. If you want cheap crap from China you all need to go to college so you can take the high paying engineering jobs. Do something constructive for yourselves so your IQs stop being so low. You're so dumb you are blaming Obama for 12 previous years of outsourcing. Get a clue. Read a book, take a college class.
1. I took macroeconomics so donít try to pretend you know what you are talking about.
2. Harvey the Hypo is a douche who you cannot have an a debate with so there is no point to try to use logic and reason with him.
3. Whenever you want an economics lesson let me know. I wonít use politics as repub or dem just tell you the many reason companies outsource. This covers unions, corp tax rates, population, skilled workers, Healthcare, Medicare, regulations, EPA. Many Many reasons companies outsource. Mitt as a business man knows these reasons and should be able to address them. Obama is a community organizer with 0 knowledge on this.

Obama bought Russian made choppers, gave momney for stimulus to overseas companies.
Since apparently you donít know ill fill you in BUSH and CLINTON are NOT the president nor are they running for it, stick to what is current. Obama has a record and it sucks the blame Bush excuse only works on simpletons like Harvey. Iíll give you the benefit of doubt for now and wont assume you are the same way.

“happy to be horny”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jul 13, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

So let's get this straight?? You don't want olympic uniforms made in China but feel Mr. Romney who, and there is no debate about this, outsources american jobs to China in the interest of his own personal wealth over the welfare of the country he wants to "save" and you see no problem??I agree that it's important to stay current but pretending that Bush didn't leave your country in dire financial distress is extremely self serving if all you want to do is take idealogical sides.One of the reasons that up here in Canada we avoided the worst of this recession is the fact we have some good regulatory rules in place to to avoid the kind of trouble that your banks and financial institutions put the country in, even ourconservative government recognizes the value of that. the solutions to the present economic crisis are going to need more than sloganeering and bickering between right and left idealogues this time around, it's going to mean working together with one goal in mind.....

“happy to be horny”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jul 13, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Pamela wrote:
<quoted text>50,000 American businesses moved to China between 2002-2008, when Bush was in office. Clinton started outsourcing to Mexico with NAFTA, and Ross Perot said it would destroy the U.S. Then, when the Soviet Union collapsed China and India decided to go capitalist and China began to get our manufacturing jobs and manufacturing jobs from European countries. That's why now the West at large has high unemployment. Everyone was all for it, the Dems, the Repubs, and they all figured that our people would go to college and take higher paying, more highly skilled jobs. Today we no longer have people who can even take jobs in the trades, we do not have people trained enough to take the higher level manufacturing jobs, and we also lost out on 5 million jobs we were offered in computer science and in engineering because our young people did not get trained in those two fields. Now that the politicians found out that Americans have slipped way down in education and in IQ levels, they all demonize China and make the outsourcing that they ALL did out to be the bad guy. 50,000 American businesses betrayed this country, Americans did it, no one told them to do it, and it was all good as long as Americans were able to buy cheap stuff from Walmart. Now that the politicians found out the people are stupid and hate college and can't take a job now they have to try to bring the dumbed down manufacturing jobs back here so a country that slipped to 25th in education can get employed in dummy jobs again. This is the fault of the people, same with them all being fat now. It's the fault of wealthly manufacturers that they left the country for super cheap labor and so they could pollute the crap out of China for free. It was all about money. Now the media goes on and on about China as if some one evil bad guy sent all of the jobs to China. No, Clinton did so, Bush did so in mass, Obama went into office when all had already been done. The jobs were long gone to China by the time Obama got into office, and, Romney did not have one thing to do with any of it. You all want cheap stuff, low prices, then you end up with no manufacturing jobs and a huge trade imbalance. The people and the greedy manufacturers created this mess. If you want cheap crap from China you all need to go to college so you can take the high paying engineering jobs. Do something constructive for yourselves so your IQs stop being so low. You're so dumb you are blaming Obama for 12 previous years of outsourcing. Get a clue. Read a book, take a college class.
You hit the nail on the head when you talk about consumers being complicit in the economic mess we find ourselves in, as long people value cheap uber alles things will barely improve, how many times do you see a pick-up truck with a "buy American" bumpersticker parked at the wal-mart??Nafta was supposed to be this amazing free trade zone that was to benefit all 3 countries and instead it just moved manufacturing to the cheapest destination and pitted Canadian and US jurisdictions against each other for what was left of the manufacturers who didn't uproot to Mexico all at a cost to regular people, big business feels no obligation towards anyone or anything than making as much profit as possible.
KeepGitmoOpen

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jul 13, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

lisawow wrote:
So let's get this straight?? You don't want olympic uniforms made in China but feel Mr. Romney who, and there is no debate about this, outsources american jobs to China in the interest of his own personal wealth over the welfare of the country he wants to "save" and you see no problem??I agree that it's important to stay current but pretending that Bush didn't leave your country in dire financial distress is extremely self serving if all you want to do is take idealogical sides.One of the reasons that up here in Canada we avoided the worst of this recession is the fact we have some good regulatory rules in place to to avoid the kind of trouble that your banks and financial institutions put the country in, even ourconservative government recognizes the value of that. the solutions to the present economic crisis are going to need more than sloganeering and bickering between right and left idealogues this time around, it's going to mean working together with one goal in mind.....
business is business and most of that BS was already disproven. You show you are clueless to even the reasons your own country doesnt have a bad resession so please dont try to pretend you know about ours. Ill help you the reason for Canada is the Patrolium/natural resources boom. FYI canadas governmen lowered regulations on this as well the boom started AFTER they stopped regulating crude oil.

http://www.nrcan.gc.ca/energy/sources/petrole...

1974-1985: Canada does regulate crude oil
During this period, federal legislation and agreements with the oil-producing provinces placed crude oil prices under government regulation. The regulation required a complex system of oil export controls, export taxes and oil import subsidies for Canadian refineries. As a result, there was less incentive for business investment in new crude oil supplies and for consumers and businesses to consume fuels more efficiently.

1985: The Western Accord removes crude price controls
Under the terms of the Western Accord of 1985, the governments of Canada, Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia agreed to remove crude oil price controls. Deregulation has increased the flow of investment in Canadaís petroleum industry, aiding its development.

Hopefully you will realize the error you made and not be a lame.
KeepGitmoOpen

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jul 13, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

lisawow wrote:
<quoted text> You hit the nail on the head when you talk about consumers being complicit in the economic mess we find ourselves in, as long people value cheap uber alles things will barely improve, how many times do you see a pick-up truck with a "buy American" bumpersticker parked at the wal-mart??Nafta was supposed to be this amazing free trade zone that was to benefit all 3 countries and instead it just moved manufacturing to the cheapest destination and pitted Canadian and US jurisdictions against each other for what was left of the manufacturers who didn't uproot to Mexico all at a cost to regular people, big business feels no obligation towards anyone or anything than making as much profit as possible.
BTW if that is a picture of you i may just invade canada....lol At least you are pretty you dont have to be smart.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Jul 13, 2012
 
lisawow wrote:
<quoted text> You hit the nail on the head when you talk about consumers being complicit in the economic mess we find ourselves in, as long people value cheap uber alles things will barely improve, how many times do you see a pick-up truck with a "buy American" bumpersticker parked at the wal-mart??Nafta was supposed to be this amazing free trade zone that was to benefit all 3 countries and instead it just moved manufacturing to the cheapest destination and pitted Canadian and US jurisdictions against each other for what was left of the manufacturers who didn't uproot to Mexico all at a cost to regular people, big business feels no obligation towards anyone or anything than making as much profit as possible.
Sure. This is the thing people don't realize. If we bring manufacturing back here from China, when people go into Walmart instead of being able to buy an item for $10, it will cost more like $25. So in order to have jobs, low unemployment, a healthy tax base, and so on, we also have to pay more for things and buy less things. In reality, Americans buy way too much stuff, so that's okay, that's definitely something we need to address. Also, the thing about if Americans had been able to take the high paying computer science and engineering jobs, then they could afford to pay more for things. But, what ended up happening is we became dependent on buying cheap items from China AND our people did not step up and get the higher educations leaving them with no big buying power and dependent on China to sell us their labor super cheap.

One thing that is going to happen is that China's economy is shrinking due to our recession and to Europe's recession, we buy less stuff from China now than we used to, so now China is going to double their minimum wage over the next three years in an effort to sell their products to their people so they no longer rely on us to buy so much from them. At that point, they will stop buying our worthless treasury notes, we no longer will have the power to buy cheap stuff, and we will be in a big, huge mess at that point.

I read two of Peter Schiff's books about this. I don't like his investment strategy, but I think he has this exactly right - our relationship with China.
Pamela

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Jul 13, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

KeepGitmoOpen wrote:
<quoted text>
1. I took macroeconomics so donít try to pretend you know what you are talking about.
2. Harvey the Hypo is a douche who you cannot have an a debate with so there is no point to try to use logic and reason with him.
3. Whenever you want an economics lesson let me know. I wonít use politics as repub or dem just tell you the many reason companies outsource. This covers unions, corp tax rates, population, skilled workers, Healthcare, Medicare, regulations, EPA. Many Many reasons companies outsource. Mitt as a business man knows these reasons and should be able to address them. Obama is a community organizer with 0 knowledge on this.
Obama bought Russian made choppers, gave momney for stimulus to overseas companies.
Since apparently you donít know ill fill you in BUSH and CLINTON are NOT the president nor are they running for it, stick to what is current. Obama has a record and it sucks the blame Bush excuse only works on simpletons like Harvey. Iíll give you the benefit of doubt for now and wont assume you are the same way.
You're really stupid. Too stupid to talk too, like most Americans. you can't get it that the jobs were long gone by the time Obama got into office and you say Bush and Clinton are gone, blame Obama. Whatever. TSTTT. Too Stupid To Talk To.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••