“It's all about the struggle”

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#2369 Sep 27, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Like in Romeo & Juliet(1968). Stereotypes aside, since I watched it on my DVD, I will never go back to Dancing With The Stars:>
Um, more like in Eyes Wide Shut. The movie sucked but I loved the masks.

Location hidden

#2370 Sep 27, 2012
It's strange how the actors in the '68 version looked so much sweeter than the ones in the newer remakes. Everything looked so clean in that old movie. Maybe it's because our newer technology shows too much detail?

&fe ature=related

“My Life Is A Shell Game”

Since: May 07

Lapeer, MI

#2371 Sep 27, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Um, more like in Eyes Wide Shut. The movie sucked but I loved the masks.
It's a literary device. We all hide behind different masks of our own making.

Taking it further, Halloween Parties and Costume Parties use clothing on top of the mask facade.

Some people even get plastic surgery! MJ wanted to show the world the real Michael within. Godawful ugly came out.

Lapeer, MI

#2372 Sep 27, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
It's strange how the actors in the '68 version looked so much sweeter than the ones in the newer remakes. Everything looked so clean in that old movie. Maybe it's because our newer technology shows too much detail?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =_wwdaP_Pn0kXX&feature=rel ated
I am a sucker for authentic feelings. Men are visual and this poor guy is trapped by what he sees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#2373 Sep 27, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a sucker for authentic feelings. Men are visual and this poor guy is trapped by what he sees.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =2hD-rT3M2QcXX&feature=rel ated
Trapped? That suggests deception. Did Nature trick him?

Lapeer, MI

#2374 Sep 27, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Trapped? That suggests deception. Did Nature trick him?
Nature tricks all of us. Sometimes pleasant. Sometimes not.

Turning tricks is illegal and deceptive.

If Nature tricked Romeo, I know he wasn't complaining about it.

“Blood Type B - Attitude B +”

Since: Mar 08

Felton California

#2376 Oct 1, 2012
So hey my long time Topix friends. I am very busy still promoting non-GMO issues. You that know me know I have been blogging on this for a long time. Can't seem to get something started on Topix , though I have tried. Am very excited that we have managed to create an initiative on the California ballot to be voted on. Yes on Prop 37. That is a yes for labeling GMO ingredients. It has been a hard battle and not near over. Wish I could get an intelligent conversation going about it on the science Topix blog. Anyway, just checking in. Shinning and Sheila still here I see. Yes, my new photo is me (on my 60th birthday) with my ...um 43 yr old boyfriend of over a year now...am I bragging..hell yes. It's the organic food, I'm telling you.

Lapeer, MI

#2377 Oct 1, 2012
been there9 wrote:
So hey my long time Topix friends. I am very busy still promoting non-GMO issues. You that know me know I have been blogging on this for a long time. Can't seem to get something started on Topix , though I have tried. Am very excited that we have managed to create an initiative on the California ballot to be voted on. Yes on Prop 37. That is a yes for labeling GMO ingredients. It has been a hard battle and not near over. Wish I could get an intelligent conversation going about it on the science Topix blog. Anyway, just checking in. Shinning and Sheila still here I see. Yes, my new photo is me (on my 60th birthday) with my ...um 43 yr old boyfriend of over a year now...am I bragging..hell yes. It's the organic food, I'm telling you.
Nice to hear from you, been there9. When does this all come up for a vote?

Felton California

#2378 Oct 1, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to hear from you, been there9. When does this all come up for a vote?
In November along with everything else. Other states have tried to make this happen as a bill and Monsanto managed to block it. California is the first state to actual get it to a vote by the people by collecting enough signatures. Of course our store(s) were very active with this. Especially a young local mom here named Tara Louke. It is the only petition our owner let us actually collect signatures for in the store. We are having a non-GMO awareness month in October at the stores. Aside from the movies "The World According to Monsanto" and " The Future of Food" there is a new one out called " Genetic Roulette" . To me of course it is the most important issue of our time. Monsanto is putting out billions trying to fight it. They don't want people even asking the question "what is a GMO?" or they shouldn't care if it is on the food labels. They are also campaigning against it saying that non GMO advocates are against science and trying to minimize our efforts by saying we are radical tree hugging environmentalists of course. It has gone global though. So many countries now require that food labels disclose GMO ingredients. Of course I could go on a very long rant because you know how passionate I am about it. Suffice to say , there is a lot of information out there and the FDA has been compliant with Monsanto in allowing this to happen. I have been a pretty liberal person in my politics but this issue trancends it all. Both Bush Sr. and Bush Jr., Clinton and Obama have appointed ex Monsanto lawyers and CEO's into key position in the Dept of Agriculture. So it really has become a dirty secret. I'm so happy it has become such a global issue. Good to hear from you. Pokay was on the right track with eliminating GMO's from his diet. The most recent movie, "Genetic Roulette" explains it very well. Answers so many questions about why we are having epidemic allergies, intestinal problems, immune disorders. The science is there and has and is still being suppressed here. But so many other countries have been doing there own testing and banning GMO seeds and crops and forcing labeling. The movie is on youtube full length. For now anyway. These movies have a way a disappearing. It will be for some to wish to remain blissfully ignorant, but it really needs to be known.

Location hidden

#2379 Oct 1, 2012
been there9 wrote:
Good genes might have a little something to do with it. ;)

Felton California

#2380 Oct 1, 2012
Speaking of masks...last weekend was the Bacchanal celebration at the Northern California Renaissance Faire. They encourage the wearing of masks by all participanta. Didn't get to make it there this year. I do enjoy the faire though. They always have great Celtic Rock bands.

Felton California

#2381 Oct 1, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Good genes might have a little something to do with it. ;)
Still the witty one you are. The most common arguement for GMO's is that hybridization occurs in nature all the time. Leading people to believe that gene splicing is the same as cross breeding hybrids. Quite a different process. Inserting a spider or fish gene into a plant and bonding it with a virus is much different than cross breeding plants that readily accept the dna of other plants. Yet actual scientists still try to make the comparison. Of course usually not biologists. Still it does sound impressive for someone with lots of degrees in science to try to explain to people who have no concept whatsoever how "natural" the whole thing is. Thankfully there are many scientists who actually have done the testing and thoroughly understand the process and aren't afraid to report their findings, even though Monsanto has had many fired from their jobs, tried to discredit them, and threatened Universities to cut off their funding if they allowed these findings to be taught or published by any of their science staff. You would think if there was nothing to be worried about they would be proud to have it on food labels. They really don't want people even asking about GMO's. It is purely money driven and right in there with the Big Pharm. Oh, by the way, our pharmacist owner sold the pharmacy that was in our store. Said he couldn't compete with the Walmarts, Rite Aids and CVS, and Costco anymore. But we have remodeled the store and I gained a lot of space for more orgnanic foods. Yea.

Lapeer, MI

#2382 Oct 1, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Good genes might have a little something to do with it. ;)
Don't you mean tight jeans?

Location hidden

#2383 Oct 1, 2012
been there9 wrote:
<quoted text>Still the witty one you are. The most common arguement for GMO's is that hybridization occurs in nature all the time. Leading people to believe that gene splicing is the same as cross breeding hybrids. Quite a different process. Inserting a spider or fish gene into a plant and bonding it with a virus is much different than cross breeding plants that readily accept the dna of other plants. Yet actual scientists still try to make the comparison. Of course usually not biologists. Still it does sound impressive for someone with lots of degrees in science to try to explain to people who have no concept whatsoever how "natural" the whole thing is. Thankfully there are many scientists who actually have done the testing and thoroughly understand the process and aren't afraid to report their findings, even though Monsanto has had many fired from their jobs, tried to discredit them, and threatened Universities to cut off their funding if they allowed these findings to be taught or published by any of their science staff. You would think if there was nothing to be worried about they would be proud to have it on food labels. They really don't want people even asking about GMO's. It is purely money driven and right in there with the Big Pharm. Oh, by the way, our pharmacist owner sold the pharmacy that was in our store. Said he couldn't compete with the Walmarts, Rite Aids and CVS, and Costco anymore. But we have remodeled the store and I gained a lot of space for more orgnanic foods. Yea.
I suspect that most consumers will be seduced by the lower prices of GMOs compared to nonGMOs. I'd like to see a few restaurants going natural. I hate to think what they are serving us.

http://www.kashi.com/nongmo

Kashi is only slightly pricier than Kellogs but I don't see it in many shopping carts around here.

Location hidden

#2384 Oct 1, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you mean tight jeans?
I think looser is probably better. Muffin tops are gross.

Lapeer, MI

#2385 Oct 1, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I think looser is probably better. Muffin tops are gross.
Well...what's a pair of jeans/genes, anyways? It's what's in 'em that matters most.

Location hidden

#2386 Oct 2, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. But I enjoyed your last avatar the best.
Also, another poster threatened to turn me in for using a pixar image. The cow.

Lapeer, MI

#2387 Oct 2, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I suspect that most consumers will be seduced by the lower prices of GMOs compared to nonGMOs. I'd like to see a few restaurants going natural. I hate to think what they are serving us.
Kashi is only slightly pricier than Kellogs but I don't see it in many shopping carts around here.
I fear you are right. Money talks. Cheap is better for most consumers.

If you truly are what you eat and you eat only cheap.....where does that leave us?

Location hidden

#2388 Oct 2, 2012
shinningelectr0n wrote:
<quoted text>
I fear you are right. Money talks. Cheap is better for most consumers.
If you truly are what you eat and you eat only cheap.....where does that leave us?
That's a good question. How cheap are you?
:}

Felton California

#2389 Oct 2, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>I suspect that most consumers will be seduced by the lower prices of GMOs compared to nonGMOs. I'd like to see a few restaurants going natural. I hate to think what they are serving us.
Kashi cereals are not necessarily non GMO.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 18 min Thinking 5,939
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 1 hr Brian_G 27,113
Board member opposes teaching definition of gay 3 hr Fundies R Mentall... 130
Still No Dark Matter from Space StationBy Matth... 6 hr Sketch 14
McAfee names Kimmel its 'most dangerous celebrity' 7 hr Kid_Tomorrow 1
NASA and ISRO join hands for future Mars missions 12 hr Kid_Tomorrow 1
A scanner to end all airport security lines? 13 hr Kid_Tomorrow 1

Science / Technology People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE