Expert: We must act fast on warming

Sep 24, 2008 Full story: Kansas.com 27,342

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Full Story

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#25974 Sep 18, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
One of the reasons that the skeptics are such a force is that the science has moved to the point that there is little need for the scientists to justify their position. They have moved on to another phase, that of how to help mitigate the problems. The skeptics, on the other hand have not consolidated their positions and are still trying to pick at the science. They are a very vocal tiny majority that feel they must bend the ears of the politicians and the media and anyone else who will listen to get them to support their position. They must depend upon politics and the vested interests to bolster their ideals.
So far they have done a pretty good job of undermining the science through politics. They have capitalized upon the sharp division between political ideologies by equating the science with a movement by the government of taking away our freedoms. There is little support of this other than propagandized emotional extravaganza. It harkens back to the McCarthy era and the Communist scare that gripped the nation. There is little solid evidence to support such a position. One thing is clear, time will settle the question. The problem is that this may result in irreversible damage to the planet.
Of course the fact that what you refer to as science has been disproven has nothing to do with it. The fact that it was all about politics and social engineering means nothing.

The fact is that the science behind AGW failed. The theory fell flat. Time is on the skeptics side and now people are starting to shift. To believe that not only warming is over but an ice age approaches. Of course they may be right, just not in out life time.

Since: Mar 09

Wichita, KS

#25975 Sep 18, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course the fact that what you refer to as science has been disproven has nothing to do with it. The fact that it was all about politics and social engineering means nothing.
The fact is that the science behind AGW failed. The theory fell flat. Time is on the skeptics side and now people are starting to shift. To believe that not only warming is over but an ice age approaches. Of course they may be right, just not in out life time.
I see, your only argument comes down to a conspiracy!
PHD

Dallas, TX

#25976 Sep 18, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
What BS? Not to mention the people I work for tend to deal with not only oil futures but stocks as well.
Before you can phase out coal you need a reliable source of power other than nuclear. One that isn't at the mercy of the weather like wind and solar. So if your entire belief is that coal will go away as it is replaced by wind and solar then you should look at the history of both. Or maybe not since the news history will relay will be by your standards bad.
In simple terms you need something that is a better source of power than coal before you can replace coal. Not something that has a history of failures like wind or solar or something that so many protest like nuclear. Of course you could claim natural gas but then you have to take into account that transporting and storing natural gas is harder, more expensive, and more dangerous.
Office cleaning doesn’t qualify you for any opinion on fuel. Oh W.V. coal mining announced today there will be a total shut down. Wind and solar now and always had a history of success but you couldn't recognize it being a total failure your self.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#25977 Sep 19, 2012
DumBozo wrote:
BTW, better my fans than yours!
I couldn't agree more.
PHD

Dallas, TX

#25978 Sep 19, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Your correct I can't answer a second grade question and I couldn't agree more with your assesment of me.
Now you have it. It's time to fees up to correcting your useless babble tainted with hate. You can work on the rest later.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#25979 Sep 19, 2012
Fess up, not fees up, dumbo.
James Hansen

Spain

#25980 Sep 19, 2012
PHD wrote:
Now you have it. It's time to fees up to correcting your useless babble tainted with hate. You can work on the rest later.
Don't forget, same time next week, but I will be a little harder for you to chew.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#25981 Sep 21, 2012
Patriot AKA Bozo wrote:
<quoted text>
I see, your only argument comes down to a conspiracy!
Actually it is history. You think this is the first time this silly idea has been fostered off on the public.

“dening those who deny nature. ”

Since: Jun 07

Norfolk va

#25982 Sep 21, 2012
PHD wrote:
<quoted text>Office cleaning doesn’t qualify you for any opinion on fuel. Oh W.V. coal mining announced today there will be a total shut down. Wind and solar now and always had a history of success but you couldn't recognize it being a total failure your self.
Then it is a good thing that I not relying on office cleaning. Maybe I should leave it to people like you to clean my office.

Also, try actually studying history before you talk about the history of success. Wind's last attempt left the landscape dotted with failures. Solar as a large scale energy source was even worse. At least there was a period when wind was king. Of course that period ended over a century ago.

Maybe you should take a few history courses. Or maybe a basic reading course. It is funny how you claim others are uneducated when you just proved that you are lacking in that same area.

http://toryaardvark.com/2011/11/17/14000-aban...

http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2009/05/04/10-...
sam

United States

#25983 Sep 21, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually it is history. You think this is the first time this silly idea has been fostered off on the public.
You like to rewrite history ??? Typical Republican trait. If it doesn't fit with your agenda, it just didn't happen that way.......did it ??
sam

United States

#25984 Sep 21, 2012
tina anne wrote:
<quoted text>
Then it is a good thing that I not relying on office cleaning. Maybe I should leave it to people like you to clean my office.
Also, try actually studying history before you talk about the history of success. Wind's last attempt left the landscape dotted with failures. Solar as a large scale energy source was even worse. At least there was a period when wind was king. Of course that period ended over a century ago.
Maybe you should take a few history courses. Or maybe a basic reading course. It is funny how you claim others are uneducated when you just proved that you are lacking in that same area.
http://toryaardvark.com/2011/11/17/14000-aban...
http://webecoist.momtastic.com/2009/05/04/10-...
Your arguments are amazingly weak. Haven't you recycled those links enough already ???

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#25985 Sep 21, 2012
My argument about climate change mitigation and man made catastrophic global warming alarmism comes down to a lack of any experiment for those theories.

Since: Apr 10

Milwaukee, WI USA

#25986 Sep 22, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
My argument about climate change mitigation and man made catastrophic global warming alarmism comes down to a lack of any experiment for those theories.
You will be interested in yesterday's Congressional testimony by Dr. John Christy:
http://energycommerce.house.gov/sites/republi...
He says:
"I’ve often stated that climate science is a “murky” science. We do not have laboratory methods of testing our hypotheses as many other sciences do. As a result what passes for science includes, opinion, arguments-from-authority, dramatic press releases, and fuzzy notions of consensus generated by preselected groups. This is not science"

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#25987 Sep 22, 2012
Steve Case wrote:
...dramatic press releases...
LOL.

This is the man who presented Anthony Watts latest "game changing" paper to Congress.

Watts of course shut down his blog for a few days to build up suspense for said paper.

When it did come out, his co-authors immediately backed away from it because of the errors it contained.

Somebody on the Congress committee (not a Republican, obviously) asked Christy why he was presenting a non-peer reviewed paper.

Christy has given up on real science and does nothing except appeal to the press through Watts blog.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#25988 Sep 22, 2012
Steve Case wrote:
You will be interested in yesterday's Congressional testimony by Dr. John Christy:
http://energycommerce.house.gov/sites/republi...
He says:
"I’ve often stated that climate science is a “murky” science. We do not have laboratory methods of testing our hypotheses as many other sciences do. As a result what passes for science includes, opinion, arguments-from-authority, dramatic press releases, and fuzzy notions of consensus generated by preselected groups. This is not science"
On another occasion, he said:
”Yes, it’s called the scientific method, but much of what passes for climate science today is, arguments from authority, dramatic press releases, and fuzzy notions of consensus generated by a preselected group.”
And:
“...since 1960, there have been more all-time cold records set than hot records in each decade.”

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#25989 Sep 22, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
“...since 1960, there have been more all-time cold records set than hot records in each decade.”
July saw 3,135 new daily high temperature records in the U.S.— over 100 per day. That overwhelmed new cold records by a factor of nearly 17 to 1, as this chart from Capital Climate shows.

For the year to date, new heat records are beating cold records by a remarkable 12 to 1, which trumps the pace of the last decade by more than a factor of 5!

I like the statistical aggregation across the country, since it gets us beyond the oft-repeated point that you can’t pin any one local record temperature on global warming. A 2009 analysis shows that the average ratio for the 2000s was 2.04-to-1, a sharp increase from previous decades. Lead author Dr. Gerald Meehl explained,“If temperatures were not warming, the number of record daily highs and lows being set each year would be approximately even.”

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/08/05/6...

Since: Apr 08

"the green troll"

#25990 Sep 22, 2012
Earthling-1 wrote:
“...since 1960, there have been more all-time cold records set than hot records in each decade.”
Not world records:

Well, a really good way to look at global warming is to look at what it has done to warm temperature records. And if you didn't have a warming Earth, then you would have the same number of new cold records as you would warm records in any given year on average. Well, what we've been seeing for quite some time now is more and more hot records relative to cold records. And the last two years have really been screaming in terms of how many more hot records we've had than cold records.

http://www.earthfiles.com/news.php...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#25991 Sep 22, 2012
FuGyou wrote:
Not world records:
Correct, he wasn't talking about world records at that time.

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#25992 Sep 22, 2012
FuGyou wrote:
July saw 3,135 new daily high temperature records in the U.S.— over 100 per day.
"The recent claims about thousands of new record high temperatures were based on stations whose length-of-record could begin as recently as 1981, thus missing the many heat waves of the 20th century. So, any moderately hot day now will be publicized as setting records for these young stations because they were not operating in the 1930s."

US state record highs and lows compared:
http://www.globalwarming.org/wp-content/uploa...

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

#25993 Sep 22, 2012
FuGyou wrote:
Watts of course shut down his blog for a few days to build up suspense for said paper.
You have evidence to support that claim, of course?
Can you prove he didn't close it due to pressure of the work he was involved in at the time?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Staples data breach: How can we force retailers... 43 min Kid_Tomorrow 1
Sky spectacle: Partial solar eclipse coming Thu... 45 min Kid_Tomorrow 1
Nitrogen Powered Hybrid Automobile (Dec '11) 1 hr Be There At What ... 164
Students hack into school system, change grades (Apr '07) 2 hr charles 612
Argentine luthier turns beat-up skateboards int... 4 hr Kid_Tomorrow 1
Look Who Got Busted: How To Remove Your Mug Sho... (May '11) 4 hr khaledelgamal 149
Is Adhd a Real Disease? 11 hr humanSpirit 1

Science / Technology People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE