Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

Since: Aug 07

United States

#100087 Aug 19, 2012
Exponential population growth formula simplified for large number of P:

Pn = 2 * C^n

where C = Children, n = generations

So

2 *(3^15)= 28,697,814

United States

#100088 Aug 19, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Erhhhh - did you actually read my post - let me summarize (or dumberise in your case)
I used, YOUR Data, YOUR Formula, YOUR calculation from 2348 BC (pop=6)---> 2000 BC (pop=27,000,000)
And applied the same to project to 1000 BC to see if it fits YOUR data.
Projected from exponential growth YOU defined from YOUR formula =
116,299,474,006,080,000,000,00 0,000
Actual Observed growth from YOUR data
Are YOU denying reality ?
You are doing it wrong.

United States

#100089 Aug 19, 2012
LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
His claim was that spin generates gravity. Are you suggesting that spin generates gravity, too?
No, but a dremel tool has so little mass it is hardly an argument.
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100090 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are doing it wrong.
Care to elaborate?
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#100091 Aug 19, 2012
Obviously children don't read and comprehend well. I never said spin creates gravity children, I said there can be no gravity without spin, big difference.
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#100092 Aug 19, 2012
Earths rotation rate around the barycenter between the earth and sun is about 67,000 miles an hour. Earths spinrate on its axis is right at 1,000 mph.Notice that earth has a strong atmosphere and strong gravity as well. However, earth has water all across its surface, where most other planets don't, so that likely plays a big part in having a strong atmosphere.

Then look at earths moon, it's rotational rate around the earth and its barycenter is, very slow,1.03 km/s just as the moons spin rate on its own axis is about 13 miles per hour. Notice that the moon has very little atmosphere and very little gravity.Both axial spin and rotation around earth are slow and the atmosphere and gravity are very weak.

Let's then look at the rotation rate of Venus, around the barycenter and the sun at 78,341 miles per hour, that's faster than earths rotation rate around the suns barycenter, of course, Venus is closer to the sun and being closer to the sun,Gravity becomes greater according to Newtons second law of motion, so how is it that Venus is 90% of the size, mass and density and it's gravity is 90% of the earths. That cannot be, Venus is 1/3 closer to the sun. If Newtons 2nd law is correct, venus should have a much greater gravity.

Then it's axis spin rate is very slow, at just 6.5 km/hour, but I add in, that Venus has an atmosphere where the winds roar across the planet at 220 miles per hour, approximately. This will prove important, because in my hypothesis, axial spin rate creates atmosphere. However, with Venus as a model and a tiny axial spin rate, there should be no atmosphere.Volcanoes to the rescue, it seems those and more chemicals are creating the venus atmosphere.

Next is Mercury, it spins on its own axis at only 6 mph and according to my hypothesis, mercury should not have much of an atmosphere and it doesnt. However, it's rotational rate around the suns barycenter is 106,000 miles per hour, meaning, that according to my hypothesis, Mercury's gravity should be higher and by the way,it is 2/3rds closer to the sun than the earth, so it's gravity should be very high, even for its size, but wait a minute, mercury is 40% of earths size. Gravity on Mercury is only 38% of earths. According to Newtons second law of motion, gravity should be much higher on mercury.

Mars, now here's something interesting. Mars and earth traverse their orbits around the sun and their respective barycenters at about the same velocity. Both also spin on their axis at about 1,000 miles per hour., and yet, mars is half the size of earth. Mars gravity is 38% of earths gravity, which is less than half of earths, but once one factors in that mars is further away from the sun, it's easy to see the other 12% loss in gravity, considering Newtons second law of motion.The mars spin and orbital rate match up with its gravity and atmosphere, according to my hypothesis.

On rover curiosity, today's scientists claim that mars gravity is only 1/6th of earths, so who is right, today's scientists that must know mars gravity to land the 2000 pound rover curiosity from a hovering craft, or newton and Einstein, that claim mars has a gravity of 38%?

According to science, we do not rotate around the sun, we rotate around the barycenter.

Hypothesis by ,--

Jim Ryan

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#100093 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you lie all the time?
Catholic schools teach evolution.

Catholics are well represented in the Clergy Letter Project.

You called signatories lesbians, homosexuals, deviants pervets and accused them of bastardizing the 'whole religion', whatever that's supposed to mean.

Why do you hate Catholics?

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#100094 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Pn = 2 * C^n
So
2 *(3^15)= 28,697,814
Your formula seems to forget that it takes TWO to make children.
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#100095 Aug 19, 2012
Thanks for the chance to post this again children. Psychology anyone.:-)

Earths rotation rate around the barycenter between the earth and sun is about 67,000 miles an hour. Earths spinrate on its axis is right at 1,000 mph.Notice that earth has a strong atmosphere and strong gravity as well. However, earth has water all across its surface, where most other planets don't, so that likely plays a big part in having a strong atmosphere.

Then look at earths moon, it's rotational rate around the earth and its barycenter is, very slow,1.03 km/s just as the moons spin rate on its own axis is about 13 miles per hour. Notice that the moon has very little atmosphere and very little gravity.Both axial spin and rotation around earth are slow and the atmosphere and gravity are very weak.

Let's then look at the rotation rate of Venus, around the barycenter and the sun at 78,341 miles per hour, that's faster than earths rotation rate around the suns barycenter, of course, Venus is closer to the sun and being closer to the sun,Gravity becomes greater according to Newtons second law of motion, so how is it that Venus is 90% of the size, mass and density and it's gravity is 90% of the earths. That cannot be, Venus is 1/3 closer to the sun. If Newtons 2nd law is correct, venus should have a much greater gravity.

Then it's axis spin rate is very slow, at just 6.5 km/hour, but I add in, that Venus has an atmosphere where the winds roar across the planet at 220 miles per hour, approximately. This will prove important, because in my hypothesis, axial spin rate creates atmosphere. However, with Venus as a model and a tiny axial spin rate, there should be no atmosphere.Volcanoes to the rescue, it seems those and more chemicals are creating the venus atmosphere.

Next is Mercury, it spins on its own axis at only 6 mph and according to my hypothesis, mercury should not have much of an atmosphere and it doesnt. However, it's rotational rate around the suns barycenter is 106,000 miles per hour, meaning, that according to my hypothesis, Mercury's gravity should be higher and by the way,it is 2/3rds closer to the sun than the earth, so it's gravity should be very high, even for its size, but wait a minute, mercury is 40% of earths size. Gravity on Mercury is only 38% of earths. According to Newtons second law of motion, gravity should be much higher on mercury.

Mars, now here's something interesting. Mars and earth traverse their orbits around the sun and their respective barycenters at about the same velocity. Both also spin on their axis at about 1,000 miles per hour., and yet, mars is half the size of earth. Mars gravity is 38% of earths gravity, which is less than half of earths, but once one factors in that mars is further away from the sun, it's easy to see the other 12% loss in gravity, considering Newtons second law of motion.The mars spin and orbital rate match up with its gravity and atmosphere, according to my hypothesis.

On rover curiosity, today's scientists claim that mars gravity is only 1/6th of earths, so who is right, today's scientists that must know mars gravity to land the 2000 pound rover curiosity from a hovering craft, or newton and Einstein, that claim mars has a gravity of 38%?

According to science, we do not rotate around the sun, we rotate around the barycenter.

Hypothesis by ,--

Jim Ryan

Location hidden

#100096 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Pn = 2 * C^n
So
2 *(3^15)= 28,697,814
Does this take into account that people usually don't reproduce after they're 200 years old?
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#100097 Aug 19, 2012
Dang it, everytime I post I am taken to a blank white page with the number 200 at the top left corner and then I have to click backwards to see of my post comes up. If not I post again. Sometimes it posts once, sometimes none and sometimes 2 and 3 times.

This is not good.
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100098 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Does this take into account that people usually don't reproduce after they're 200 years old?
I wouldn't bother - UC is strangely reluctant to defend his position.

Though apparently when I used the forumula to project years 1348 (n=1348/25 =54 generations) from the standing start of 6 individual post flood - the number I got (quite big) was because I was doing it wrong .... Feel free to try it yourself as UC didn't actually point out WHAT I had done wrong

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#100099 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong Kong! They are phonies that throw Jesus Christ, the Bible, and all that makes Christianity what it is under the bus for their own selfish, sinful desires.
Remember what the Bible teaches: "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many." (MAT 7:13)
That stupid forged letter that you circulate all the time is signed by gay and lesbian and all other manner of deviant perverted "churches" that bastardize the whole religion. Most of the signatories are repeated several times. Evolution is the work of Satan and is a total lie.
Wow.

Just....wow.

I hope you re-read this, UC...then fall on your knees and ask your God to forgive you for this post.

United States

#100100 Aug 19, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
Just....wow.
I hope you re-read this, UC...then fall on your knees and ask your God to forgive you for this post.
Forgive me? He'll thank me. Homosexuality is wrong any way you look at it. Biblically, practically, medically, hygenically, socially, and reproductivly. It's sick and deviant behavior condemned by both God and State Law.

Florida's Sodomy Laws

Florida Criminal Code 800.02 establishes punishment for "any unnatural and lascivious act".

Adults are prohibited from living "in an open state of adultery" by 798.01. Adults are also prohibited from engaging in "lewd and lascivious behavior" by 798.02.

Punishment for violations of the sections defining a unnatural and lascivious act, living in open adultery, lewd and lascivious behavior, are all misdemeanors of the second degree, punishable by a term of imprisonment not exceeding 60 days and a fine that shall not exceed $500.

United States

#100101 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not too swift are you pal? What is the generation age I gave? How many children per couple? Damn you're stupid.

United States

#100102 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Your formula seems to forget that it takes TWO to make children.
Please have your IQ checked.

United States

#100103 Aug 19, 2012
Notice the word Sodomy comes from the Bible. And NO, I don't hate Catholics or Gays for disobeying the Bible. Some of my co-workers and neighbors are gay and I like them very much but what they do is wrong. Me calling them wrong does not mean I hate them. I don't really hate anyone. They are just doing a particular sin. My sin - whatever it happens to be - is just as bad and has equal weight to theirs. That's just the way it is. I am human therefore am sinful and I can't help it as hard as I try not to and this is the same as the gays. So we are no different. There sin is wrong and so is mine. I guess being gay is particularly noticable.

Location hidden

#100104 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Consistently tests about 140. Once at 148, but I'm sure that was an anomaly.
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100105 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Going to explain where I was going wrong in my use of your formula to predict the population for 1000 BC.

Really, if I have made a mistake then fair enough but until you can outline my error we can assume it simply demonstrates that an exponential formula can't be applied to real world populations indefinitely.

Over to you UC (again)

United States

#100106 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Consistently tests about 140. Once at 148, but I'm sure that was an anomaly.
It's seems about half that.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What is EGT Gauge{Aircraft} 53 min Pable Mackenzie 1
Avionic instruments & Aircraft Precision Produc... 59 min Pable Mackenzie 1
Sears adds Indiana to closing list (Dec '11) 1 hr Linda Bedsore 10
cloud scout virus 1 hr help me please 1
For all you have been given, what can you give ... 5 hr One way or another 1
Government schools brainwash, children the mock... 6 hr One way or another 6
Hybrid Will Be the New Normal for Next Generati... 7 hr Gerald Vonberger 1
More from around the web