Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,806

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

“That's just MY opinion...”

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#100096 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Exponential population growth formula simplified for large number of P:
Pn = 2 * C^n
where C = Children, n = generations
So
2 *(3^15)= 28,697,814
Does this take into account that people usually don't reproduce after they're 200 years old?
Psychology

Danielson, CT

#100097 Aug 19, 2012
Dang it, everytime I post I am taken to a blank white page with the number 200 at the top left corner and then I have to click backwards to see of my post comes up. If not I post again. Sometimes it posts once, sometimes none and sometimes 2 and 3 times.

This is not good.
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100098 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Does this take into account that people usually don't reproduce after they're 200 years old?
I wouldn't bother - UC is strangely reluctant to defend his position.

Though apparently when I used the forumula to project years 1348 (n=1348/25 =54 generations) from the standing start of 6 individual post flood - the number I got (quite big) was because I was doing it wrong .... Feel free to try it yourself as UC didn't actually point out WHAT I had done wrong

“Nihil curo de ista tua stulta ”

Since: May 08

Orlando

#100099 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong Kong! They are phonies that throw Jesus Christ, the Bible, and all that makes Christianity what it is under the bus for their own selfish, sinful desires.
Remember what the Bible teaches: "Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many." (MAT 7:13)
That stupid forged letter that you circulate all the time is signed by gay and lesbian and all other manner of deviant perverted "churches" that bastardize the whole religion. Most of the signatories are repeated several times. Evolution is the work of Satan and is a total lie.
Wow.

Just....wow.

I hope you re-read this, UC...then fall on your knees and ask your God to forgive you for this post.

Since: Aug 07

United States

#100100 Aug 19, 2012
Kong_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
Just....wow.
I hope you re-read this, UC...then fall on your knees and ask your God to forgive you for this post.
Forgive me? He'll thank me. Homosexuality is wrong any way you look at it. Biblically, practically, medically, hygenically, socially, and reproductivly. It's sick and deviant behavior condemned by both God and State Law.

Florida's Sodomy Laws

Florida Criminal Code 800.02 establishes punishment for "any unnatural and lascivious act".

Adults are prohibited from living "in an open state of adultery" by 798.01. Adults are also prohibited from engaging in "lewd and lascivious behavior" by 798.02.

Punishment for violations of the sections defining a unnatural and lascivious act, living in open adultery, lewd and lascivious behavior, are all misdemeanors of the second degree, punishable by a term of imprisonment not exceeding 60 days and a fine that shall not exceed $500.

United States

#100101 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not too swift are you pal? What is the generation age I gave? How many children per couple? Damn you're stupid.

United States

#100102 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Your formula seems to forget that it takes TWO to make children.
Please have your IQ checked.

United States

#100103 Aug 19, 2012
Notice the word Sodomy comes from the Bible. And NO, I don't hate Catholics or Gays for disobeying the Bible. Some of my co-workers and neighbors are gay and I like them very much but what they do is wrong. Me calling them wrong does not mean I hate them. I don't really hate anyone. They are just doing a particular sin. My sin - whatever it happens to be - is just as bad and has equal weight to theirs. That's just the way it is. I am human therefore am sinful and I can't help it as hard as I try not to and this is the same as the gays. So we are no different. There sin is wrong and so is mine. I guess being gay is particularly noticable.

Location hidden

#100104 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
Consistently tests about 140. Once at 148, but I'm sure that was an anomaly.
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100105 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Going to explain where I was going wrong in my use of your formula to predict the population for 1000 BC.

Really, if I have made a mistake then fair enough but until you can outline my error we can assume it simply demonstrates that an exponential formula can't be applied to real world populations indefinitely.

Over to you UC (again)

United States

#100106 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
It's seems about half that.

United States

#100107 Aug 19, 2012
Mugwump wrote:
<quoted text>
Going to explain where I was going wrong in my use of your formula to predict the population for 1000 BC.
Really, if I have made a mistake then fair enough but until you can outline my error we can assume it simply demonstrates that an exponential formula can't be applied to real world populations indefinitely.
Over to you UC (again)
All you do is twist the facts and nitpik minor differences. You are avoiding the big picture that I explained earlier. That is, in general, a standard exponetial growth curve fits the biblical account nicely, but nothing about evolution can explain zero growth for millions of years and then, all of a sudden, an exponential growth curve matches the actual historical world population growth data from the Flood to the present 7 billion. Evolution has no answers and the Bible answers it satisfactorily.

Location hidden

#100108 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
It's seems about half that.
Sounds like another baseless opinion.

Instead of that stupid list of of phony arguments from incredulity and ignorance that you keep putting up, you should assemble "Urban Clownboy's Amazing List of 99 Baseless Assumptions".

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#100109 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You may see microevolution happening but not macroevolution. Genetic variation and natural selection was designed into the Creation but no plant or animal ever transitioned from one type to another. Nobody has ever seen the kind of microbes-to-man macroevolution happen and there is no evidence that it ever did happen. You have been hypnotized and drugged by the hyperbole and equivocation that is the mind-controlling theory of evolution but it is wrong and it is a total lie. You are seeing the world through a pair of broken binoculars that are always out of focus. If you could fix them, you would be able to see the world properly in clear focus with all it's rich complexity that it is the result of intelligent design by a supreme Creator.
What is the mechanism that prevents the transition from micro evolution to macro evolution? What is it that ensures that a small isolated group will always be able to reproduce with its ancestor group? Are you referring to science or to "God's Law"?
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100110 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
All you do is twist the facts and nitpik minor differences.
116,299,474,006,080,000,000,00 0,000

AND

Is a minor difference - you are KIDDING, glad i'm not one of your CPA clients.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are avoiding the big picture that I explained earlier.
Nope, it is you who is avoiding that fact that using your formula and your data - the results don't match reality
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That is, in general, a standard exponetial growth curve fits the biblical account nicely,
Not if the figures I produced using your formula are anything to go by.
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
but nothing about evolution can explain zero growth for millions of years and then, all of a sudden, an exponential growth curve matches the actual historical world population growth data from the Flood to the present 7 billion.
Actually all this has been explained numerous times - you just ignore it , or dont understand it

But all this aside - can you explain why my use of your formula and data to project from 2348 BC --> 1000 BC gives a population some 2325989480121600000 times bigger than the observed data

********** Just answer the above question - have asked about 3 times now **********
Mugwump

Swansea, UK

#100111 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of that stupid list of of phony arguments from incredulity and ignorance that you keep putting up, you should assemble "Urban Clownboy's Amazing List of 99 Baseless Assumptions".
With respect - he already has - its called his '99 Reasons why Evolution never happened'

United States

#100112 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Clownboy? Surely I overestimated your IQ. But then again, you ARE a Darwinist.

“Don't get me started”

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis

#100113 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That was ignorant. Actually, zero to 27 million only requires 3 children each for 15 generations.
You mean "3 childred each" person? Or "3 children each bonded family unit?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#100114 Aug 19, 2012
MADRONE wrote:
<quoted text>
Everybody's IQ is 140. Just ask around.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#100115 Aug 19, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not too swift are you pal? What is the generation age I gave? How many children per couple? Damn you're stupid.
Nope, you're the stupid one.

Matthew 1:17
So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.

Using your formula, if there were just two people at the time of Abraham there would be forty-six quadrillion people at the time of Christ:

2*3^28 = 4.57536E+13
Quadrillion is right, isn't it. I keep telling you exponential models never work but you just refuse to listen.

Holy mackerel, it's not twenty-eight generation, it's forty-two generations. There's probably not even a word for ten to the twentieth power people.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"Science vs. Religion: What Scientists Really T... (Jan '12) 3 min One way or another 16,638
Dark Millions : Private Carding Forum 8 hr darkmillions_cc 1
Directly Recover Call History from iPhone 3GS o... (Jun '13) 11 hr alvina haynes 8
List of 87th Academy Awards Winners and Nominees 12 hr eeemily 1
Nitrogen Powered Hybrid Automobile (Dec '11) 17 hr Harr E tte 211
Why Do Atheists Ridicule Christianity? (May '11) 19 hr Thinking 6,033
Mother Of Mercy, Is This The End Of "Guccifer?" (Jan '14) 23 hr katty_love92 5
More from around the web