Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
93,461 - 93,480 of 172,129 Comments Last updated 30 min ago

Since: Aug 07

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine toned for what?
Your argument hinges on the assumption that you were intended to be here, presumably by your invisible space wizard.
Fine toned? My guitar is fine toned so I can play "The Girl from Ipanema". It's tuned precisely to "A-440" pitch.

Yeah I know, that's the standard counter, but it doesn't make any sense. Notice that I didn't argue from theology but that you did.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

The weakest type of chemical bonds of those listed are:

a)ionic bonds

b)hydrogen bonds

c)double bonds

d)disulfide bonds

e)covalent bonds
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No delusions or desparations here!
The tentative observation of the Higgs-Boson doesn't seem to be either directly or indirectly related to the Big Bang or the age of the universe.
If any of the four fundamental forces (electromagnetism, strong interaction, weak interaction, gravity), or any of the 3 types of elementary particles (quarks, leptons, guage bosons) were any different even by the slightest imaginable amount, then not just life, but the universe itself would not be possible.
Consider just one parameter, the expansion rate of the universe.
Scientists estimate that if this rate were off by just 1 part in 10^55, it would either fly apart with no chance of star or galaxy formation or collapse back onto itself.
That number is very difficult to visualize.(The number of atoms in the entire universe is estimated at 10^80)
If you had a tuning scale that stretched from one end of the universe to the other and it was marked off in atoms, the setting for the expansion rate would be less than the width of just one atom!
If the expansion rate was adjusted one atom to the left, the universe would collapse on itself, or if shifted one atom to the right would fly apart.
And this is just one of many examples of the extreme fine tuning and precise calibration and design of the universe!
The universe as we know it and life as we know it. We don't know what other universes and life might be possible under other condition. So, got any other authoritative declarations based on absolutely nothing that you'd like to make?
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
*We* have much better than guesstimates.*We* do so because *we* have....."? We? You're no physicist. You're no scientist. You don't even understand what they were doing.
You wouldn't know science if you caught it banging your mom. Remind us how you concluded that "fur traders" is the best explanation for koalas on Australia. Please show your work.
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Fine toned? My guitar is fine toned so I can play "The Girl from Ipanema". It's tuned precisely to "A-440" pitch.
Yeah I know, that's the standard counter, but it doesn't make any sense. Notice that I didn't argue from theology but that you did.
If your explanations ever require "God did it with magic," it is necessarily theological.
LowellGuy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how they got there but I gave you several reasonable possibilities and this is not as big an issue as you seem to think.
What is "reasonable" about claiming that fur traders would make it prohibitively time-consuming, dangerous, and expensive to harvest their livestock's pelts by transporting the entire species (all the koala fur traders formed a collective, perhaps?) to an island in the middle of an unexplored ocean, and then proceeded to eradicate every molecule of evidence of their commerce as well as of koalas ever existing anywhere on the Asian continent?

And, how did you conclude that ^that^ is the most likely explanation for koalas appearing only on Australia?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
All your arguments are from theology. Who are you trying to kid?

Eastanollee, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
All your arguments are from theology. Who are you trying to kid?
Not always. Some are and some are not. But you people tend to argue more from theology than from science.

Eastanollee, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
What is "reasonable" about claiming that fur traders would make it prohibitively time-consuming, dangerous, and expensive to harvest their livestock's pelts by transporting the entire species (all the koala fur traders formed a collective, perhaps?) to an island in the middle of an unexplored ocean, and then proceeded to eradicate every molecule of evidence of their commerce as well as of koalas ever existing anywhere on the Asian continent?
And, how did you conclude that ^that^ is the most likely explanation for koalas appearing only on Australia?
Have you already checked every molecule on the Asian continent for Koala content? Really?
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you already checked every molecule on the Asian continent for Koala content? Really?
Give it up UC - your explainations of how Koalas got to Oz are 'just so' stories that are at best a highly implausible explaination of one of the problems the flood account - asking for an examination of every molecule on the Asian continent is simply another example of the double standards you apply to creation science and real science - wanna provide evidence of the creation account ?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
*We* have much better than guesstimates.*We* do so because *we* have....."? We? You're no physicist. You're no scientist. You don't even understand what they were doing.

I have a masters degree in science,.....

Oh well, you will never understand.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
The weakest type of chemical bonds of those listed are:
a)ionic bonds
b)hydrogen bonds
c)double bonds
d)disulfide bonds
e)covalent bonds

b. from H.S. Chemistry.

Eastanollee, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

Dogen wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a masters degree in science,.....
Oh well, you will never understand.
In what exactly? The arts and sciences is a broad category. That could be ANYTHING. And don't lie this time.

“I am Sisyphus”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

The same thing I have had an M.S. in all along, Clinical Psychology.

Pay attention.
Psychology

Danielson, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

If psychology is your game, then what psychology do schools employ and give examples.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
So, they set about eradicating every molecule but perhaps didn't fully succeed?

Tell us, for what purpose would fur traders go about doing such a thing?

Why would they put their livestock somewhere that would be prohibitively difficult, dangerous, expensive, and time-consuming to retrieve and harvest them?

How does any of that serve their fur trading business?

How does any of that mesh with the word "reasonable?"

What do you think "reasonable" means?

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Psychology wrote:
If psychology is your game, then what psychology do schools employ and give examples.
When you're not being retarded, what do you do?
Psychology

Danielson, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
When you're not being retarded, what do you do?
I asked Dogen. Is Lowell guy another name you use when your Dogen moniker is unable to answer and vice versa? Is that your idea of psychology Dogen?
Psychology

Danielson, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Judged:

Lowell guy and Dogen sittin in a tree, k I s s I n g, first comes love, then comes marriage, then comes little Dogen in a baby carriage.:)

Tell us when you're ready to prove you understand psychology.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 8, 2012

Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Not always. Some are and some are not. But you people tend to argue more from theology than from science.
I lump 'you weren't there' and 'it's still a hobbit' in with the theological arguments. If you don't understand why, I will gladly explain it to you.'It's really complicated' isn't an argument at all so it doesn't even count.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••