Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 Full story: www.scientificblogging.com 176,162

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand." Full Story

Since: Jun 12

Montréal, Canada

#95364 Jun 28, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a legitimate topic of discussion. It's a right wing political topic of discussion.
Good to hear a voice of reason.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#95366 Jun 28, 2012
Did I miss something or is there a new warning about "being polite". It did not happen to me earlier today, but it did now when I put in a link to a perfectly inoffensive discussion on YouTube about evolution and Texas education. I had to send it twice, but it seems to have gone through okay and the second click.

Since: Sep 08

Everett, WA

#95367 Jun 28, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a legitimate topic of discussion. It's a right wing political topic of discussion.
Well, not exactly. Yes, certain right wing Christians have made it a high priority, but since they make it a topic by continually trying to force their agenda into schools it is a legitimate topic for this site. As I said, I just finished listening to the video that I linked and then I was interrupted by a door to door Bible thumper spreading the word about a gathering about 50 miles away from me. Ironic, isn't it? He left when I said that I was not superstitious.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#95368 Jun 28, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
Did I miss something or is there a new warning about "being polite". It did not happen to me earlier today, but it did now when I put in a link to a perfectly inoffensive discussion on YouTube about evolution and Texas education. I had to send it twice, but it seems to have gone through okay and the second click.
It's just a censorbot. It always warns me about posting a link to Project Steve, apparently because it's got /faq/ in the link. It's not a very good speller.

If it is my intention to be impolite I just put an accent on a vowel.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#95369 Jun 28, 2012
Subduction Zone wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, not exactly. Yes, certain right wing Christians have made it a high priority, but since they make it a topic by continually trying to force their agenda into schools it is a legitimate topic for this site. As I said, I just finished listening to the video that I linked and then I was interrupted by a door to door Bible thumper spreading the word about a gathering about 50 miles away from me. Ironic, isn't it? He left when I said that I was not superstitious.
I just ask them the age of the earth and if it's anything over a million years I give 'em a buck and take the handout. Mormons are sent packing more often than Jehovah's Witnesses, by the way.

Montréal, Canada

#95370 Jun 28, 2012
I'm all for letting people believe in whatever they choose to believe.

However, when it comes to education, I think it's laughable to debate whether creationism should be given time in a science classroom.

Yes, evolution is a theory. Just like the theory of gravity. Of course, theories need constant revision to incorporate new evidence.

It's not like one scientist states his theory and everyone just has to believe that until the theory can be disproved.

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#95371 Jun 28, 2012
CAN_PsychStudent wrote:
I'm all for letting people believe in whatever they choose to believe.

However, when it comes to education, I think it's laughable to debate whether creationism should be given time in a science classroom.

Yes, evolution is a theory. Just like the theory of gravity. Of course, theories need constant revision to incorporate new evidence.

It's not like one scientist states his theory and everyone just has to believe that until the theory can be disproved.
Might be more practical to teach high schoolers auto mechanics or how to use a debit card for those who will not become biologists or continuing on into the medical field. Teach them the scientific method of course. Theory will be irrelevant to the majority of them.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#95372 Jun 28, 2012
Libertatem wrote:
<quoted text>
Might be more practical to teach high schoolers auto mechanics or how to use a debit card for those who will not become biologists or continuing on into the medical field. Teach them the scientific method of course. Theory will be irrelevant to the majority of them.
Where do you figure the next generation of Biologists will come from if you don't expose them to the subject? or Physicists? or Chemists? Just because you didn't continue past high school doesn't mean no one has.

Montréal, Canada

#95373 Jun 28, 2012
Libertatem wrote:
<quoted text>
Education is not about what is simply relevant. Learning the theoretical foundations of how our world works is important for everyone.

I would hope we don't need to teach students how to use a debit card.

And anyway, if you're not continuing on into biology and are so opposed to learning the theory, then don't take a biology class in high school.
Science cat

Danielson, CT

#95374 Jun 28, 2012
Oh boy, the morons are agreeing with themselves under different names, again and again, ad nausium.
Science monkey

Danielson, CT

#95375 Jun 28, 2012
Shhhh, nobody's supposed to know.

Location hidden

#95376 Jun 28, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>Where do you figure the next generation of Biologists will come from if you don't expose them to the subject? or Physicists? or Chemists? Just because you didn't continue past high school doesn't mean no one has.
Let me ask you a question. Do you think the majority of high school students who continue on into higher education will major in chemistry or engineering? Biology or business?

I'm not sure if you intentionally missed my point or not. Let me rephrase it more directly. Teaching theory within any high school course will probably not benefit the majority of HS graduates & that time would be better spent teaching them what they will actually benefit from.

This is why federally managed education is a problem. Not enough choice in the curriculum you would like your children to study.

Location hidden

#95377 Jun 28, 2012
CAN_PsychStudent wrote:
<quoted text>Education is not about what is simply relevant. Learning the theoretical foundations of how our world works is important for everyone.

I would hope we don't need to teach students how to use a debit card.

And anyway, if you're not continuing on into biology and are so opposed to learning the theory, then don't take a biology class in high school.
Been awhile since I was in HS but I thought biology was a requirement for grad. Is this incorrect?

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#95378 Jun 28, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I just ask them the age of the earth and if it's anything over a million years I give 'em a buck and take the handout. Mormons are sent packing more often than Jehovah's Witnesses, by the way.

Mormons are quite the group. When you are asked to prove that people will believe anything they are a handy reference.

Montréal, Canada

#95379 Jun 28, 2012
Libertatem wrote:
<quoted text>
Been awhile since I was in HS but I thought biology was a requirement for grad. Is this incorrect?
I suppose it depends on where you live. I grew up in Ontario, and I believe you just needed one science course (not necessarily biology). Also, we have the dichotomy of academic vs. applied courses (applied courses being aimed at students who are not planning on attending a university).

“I am Sisyphus”

Since: Nov 07

Location hidden

#95380 Jun 28, 2012
Libertatem wrote:
<quoted text>

A Theory is the essence and pinnacle of the scientific method. To separate them is to commit vivasection.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#95381 Jun 28, 2012
Science monkey wrote:
Shhhh, nobody's supposed to know.
Know what? That you're Jim Ryan the Carpet Whisperer and resident forum crank? Everybody recognizes you Jimbo no matter how many sockpuppets your create.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#95382 Jun 28, 2012
Libertatem wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you a question. Do you think the majority of high school students who continue on into higher education will major in chemistry or engineering? Biology or business?
I'm not sure if you intentionally missed my point or not. Let me rephrase it more directly. Teaching theory within any high school course will probably not benefit the majority of HS graduates & that time would be better spent teaching them what they will actually benefit from.
This is why federally managed education is a problem. Not enough choice in the curriculum you would like your children to study.
If you want your kids baffled by everything but carburetors, send them to trade school. They'll still be baffled by carburetors but they'll at least know how to twiddle the screws.

Since: Aug 07

United States

#95383 Jun 28, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I got it by the application of logic. In the future I will use the folloing mnemonic:
tits 'n' ass ==> gonococcus
I have newfound respect for you.

Since: Aug 07

United States

#95384 Jun 28, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Know what? That you're Jim Ryan the Carpet Whisperer and resident forum crank? Everybody recognizes you Jimbo no matter how many sockpuppets your create.
You would have made a good detective or investigator.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
HOW TO: Reset Windows Administrator Password (K... (Jan '13) 28 min Lora_14 4
Why Japan has bet its revival on humanoid robots 4 hr Switches 28
How to restore iPhone 6 text messages? 6 hr ASasd 1
'The Interview' illegally downloaded 750,000 ti... 11 hr grieving goethe 1
Dirty Secret Affects Every Phone User 21 hr One way or another 2
a Google, Microsoft battle Marriott's plan to b... 23 hr merchsolutionsusa 1
How to Recover Deleted Contacts from iPhone 4 w... (Feb '13) Fri Timotion 60
More from around the web