Should evolution be taught in high school?

Feb 24, 2008 | Posted by: Cash | Full story: www.scientificblogging.com

Microbiologist Carl Woese is well known as an iconoclast. At 79 years of age, Woese is still shaking things up. Most recently, he stated in an interview with Wired that...

"My feeling is that evolution shouldn't be taught at the lower grades. You don't teach quantum mechanics in the grade schools. One has to be quite educated to work with these concepts; what they pass on as evolution in high schools is nothing but repetitious tripe that teachers don't understand."
Comments
91,161 - 91,180 of 172,502 Comments Last updated 41 min ago
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#93351 May 30, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>He does like to bird dog Christians, mercilessly. He's a naughty Dude.
Not Christians in general, fundies.

And yeah, I am a naughty Dude.

;-p

(purrrrrrrrr)
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#93352 May 30, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not familiar with the term. Is that something you do with your Banana Bike?
http://mattbusch.com/Step/maul_3.jpg
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#93353 May 30, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
You are the one who brought them up. They're not my heros. All three of them have certainly made major contributions to ID,
Great! Any of them come up with a "scientific theory" of ID yet?
Urban Cowboy wrote:
but remember, I am a young earth creationist. Do you know the difference?(I doubt it!)
Yeah, ID pretends it's not stupid for legal reasons, creationism simply openly admits it's stupid.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#93354 May 30, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I have a Bachelor's (Honors) from Saint Leo University, a Master's degree from Florida Atlantic University; I'm a Certified Public Account; pilot's license, scuba certified; and I make well into the 6 figures. That ought to shut your hubris trap for awhile. Isn't that right Ted?
Ah, that explains it. You stayed under for too long breathing pure O2.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#93355 May 30, 2012
Putsoa _pududu hape wrote:
Yes, let evolution be taught in high schools. But since this would offend some people, rather not teach about it as evolution, but "ORGANIC HISTORY, ORGANISMIC HISTORY" or something like that. JUST DON'T DENY CHILDREN THE FACT THAT THERE HAVE BEEN OTHER ORGANISMS LIVING ON OUR PLANET MILLIONS OF YEARS AGO DESPITE WHAT THE WESTERN RELIGION CLAIMS.
I think that by refusing to call it what it is, we would be making a mistake. Evolution is a viable, proven theory, and it would be wrong to disguise it to avoid 'offending' people. When we do that, we are just promoting ignorance of it. It is possible for creationism and the theory of evolution to coexist, and people need to learn that. Children are the future, and it's our job to educate them. We can't do that when we're dancing around the truth in order to avoid offending people.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#93356 May 30, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
I am a very friendly person who treats everyone with utmost respect *UNTIL* they demonstrate repeatedly that they are clearly dishonest, dishonorable, beneath contempt and totally worthless to me. That would be YOU Ted. If you would stop it I may even forgive you.
Except while you're on the interwebz you're a typical dishonest disrespectful hypocritical fundie liar for Jesus.(To be demonstrated again in two days time).
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#93357 May 30, 2012
The Nerd wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of being here trying to insult someone else you need to get back over to the other thread and formulate a reply to that comment I left for you two days ago, loser.
<quoted text>
Instead of being here trying to insult someone else you need to get back over to the other threadS (plural) and formulate a reply to that comment a number of people left for you weeks ago.

"Loser" is redundant in your case.

Fingers or toes, Nerd?

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#93358 May 30, 2012
Eh... just to point something out guys, but all the ad hominem attacks going on between people (on BOTH sides) make everyone make your legitimate arguments look a lot less credible. Not retaliating against things like this, and keeping your language calm is a much better way to make the other person's argument collapse. Plus arguments stemming from religious beliefs tend to overflow with ipse dixits, appeals to tradition, arguments from silence, arguments from ignorance, argument ad populum, and the infamous invincible ignorance fallacy, along with a lot of other logical fallacies. Pointing those out goes a long way towards discrediting someone's argument, and makes it so much cleaner, too.

Just a thought.

“Pissing people off since 1949”

Since: Apr 08

Seffner, FL

#93359 May 30, 2012
WordofPen wrote:
Eh... just to point something out guys, but all the ad hominem attacks going on between people (on BOTH sides) make everyone make your legitimate arguments look a lot less credible. Not retaliating against things like this, and keeping your language calm is a much better way to make the other person's argument collapse. Plus arguments stemming from religious beliefs tend to overflow with ipse dixits, appeals to tradition, arguments from silence, arguments from ignorance, argument ad populum, and the infamous invincible ignorance fallacy, along with a lot of other logical fallacies. Pointing those out goes a long way towards discrediting someone's argument, and makes it so much cleaner, too.
Just a thought.
Valid point but we'll see if you still feel this way in a couple of years.
The Dude

Birkenhead, UK

#93360 May 30, 2012
WordofPen wrote:
Just a thought.
Um, thanks. But the arguments were destroyed long before they got here. Then they were again when they got here. Then they started lying and it all snowballed downwards from there. Unfortunately you appeared far too along into the uh, "debate".

I tend to be nicerer to new fundies, until they start lying in which case the kid gloves come off. Some (like Urb and Nerd) are beyond saving.
Animal Testing Rocks

Nelson, New Zealand

#93361 May 30, 2012
Evoulation is reatarded, how can you people think it is scientifically possible? it ponders me and your all gay!
Mugwump

Manchester, UK

#93362 May 30, 2012
Animal Testing Rocks wrote:
Evoulation is reatarded, how can you people think it is scientifically possible? it ponders me and your all gay!
A well thought out argument against evolutionary theory - you sold me on it

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#93363 May 30, 2012
MikeF wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey, Liam! Not to worry. You haven't missed much. Same old...
Sadly, that is just what I expected...

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#93364 May 30, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
Instead of assuming it, shouldn't you get some evidence first?
(Sorry - I couldn't resist that!)
And this is an OUTSTANDING example of the utter failure of creationism. Take one small piece out of context, and pretend that it somehow proves your point, while ignoring the fact that it fully and completely supports evolution when read in its full context.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#93365 May 30, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
No wonder you know so little about science. You head is too full of bicycle part specs.
Science? What the hell are you talking about? Your creationist claptrap has nothing to do with science.

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#93366 May 30, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
The overwhelming evidence would dispute your claim. Living fossils, genetic entropy, no mutations have ever resulted in any new, nascent biological function, no transitional fossils, etc. Not to mention the obvious intelligent design, irreducible complex biological functions, motors, DNA language, complex information, etc. In contrast, you don't have any evidence to support your claims.
There is good evidence to support common ancestry from within the original created kinds but none at all to support universal common descent, i.e., from a single cell or whatever, also known as naturalistic vertical (macro) evolution. Furthermore, every thing points to a top-down adaptation with genetic entropy type of evolution - and nothing to indicate that it was bottom-up. Get over it.
Is this pseudo-scientific word goulash typical of the stuff you find in your premium Creationist journals?

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#93367 May 30, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
I could claim the same about any secular journal. It's just that your (unstated) statement of faith is really your dirty little secret.
Secular academic journals are peer reviewed by proven professionals in the discipline. These people are almost always full professors at research institutions. They have a proven track record of research and have contributed to their scientific discipline.

You people have pretend and fabrication.

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

#93368 May 30, 2012
Urban Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
What is it about Darwinism that causes you people to lie so much?
No transitional fossils? 30+ species (and counting) of avian/ dino fossils where its hard to say which is which, because they show a continuum of features shared. Transitional forms by any other name, and as predicted by evolution.

Living fossils are not evidence against evolution. This has been explained, and you have never refuted the explanation.

And you call "Darwinists" liars, while continuing to pretend these lies of yours have not been countered, with explanations?

At the same time, the purpose of creationist journals and the basis of their peer review - biblical conformity - is not only true, its stated openly in the journals themselves.

And you call "Darwinists" liars, for pointing that out?

You have a serious problem with understanding what the word "truth" means, Urban.

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Tenerife

#93369 May 30, 2012
Animal Testing Rocks wrote:
Come back when you grow up

“Darwin was right..of course.”

Since: Jun 11

Tenerife

#93370 May 30, 2012
Putsoa _pududu hape wrote:
Yes, let evolution be taught in high schools. But since this would offend some people, rather not teach about it as evolution, but "ORGANIC HISTORY, ORGANISMIC HISTORY" or something like that. JUST DON'T DENY CHILDREN THE FACT THAT THERE HAVE BEEN OTHER ORGANISMS LIVING ON OUR PLANET MILLIONS OF YEARS AGO DESPITE WHAT THE WESTERN RELIGION CLAIMS.
Why are you screaming??

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Science / Technology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Time An Illusion? (May '10) 2 min SoE 5,229
Expert: We must act fast on warming (Sep '08) 1 hr SpaceBlues 27,019
Unable to format external hard drive on Windows... 6 hr Marry 1
How to Resolve C partition low disk space problem? 7 hr shaneleemicro 7
How to print text messages from android smart p... 8 hr afeie1 1
6 up and coming global tech hubs Thu Sophktt 1
[iTunes Data Recovery] How to Recover Notes fro... (May '13) Thu afeie1 14
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••