Alleged Puppy Mill Has Store in St. Peters

Full story: Fox2Now

Do you think you could take care of 100 dogs by yourself? Bonnie and Herman Schindler apparently think so.
Comments
1 - 20 of 221 Comments Last updated Aug 20, 2010
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
Michele

Saint Charles, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Judged:

Thank you for your efforts to educate the public about the horrible reality of pet store animals.
Laura U

Ozark, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Judged:

I am so glad that Missouri is informing all of us about these horrible puppy mills. When I lived in Kansas City....I knew nothing about these places, until I moved down to South Missouri and have seen them first hand. Barb Schmidt,whom I've worked with on the Puppy Mill campaign, works tirelessly towards to efforts of the animals. You can see by the actions of these people not only the attitude towards humans, but you can imagine how many animals lives have been made to suffer at their hands. I hope Missouri comes down HARD on these people!
Jake Norman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Judged:

Shut them both down... not sure what's stopping anyone? There's plenty of white trash out there that make a living off of abusive mass breeding.... Take them down!!!
Jake Norman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Thank you Laura U and Babs Schmidt.
Sean Jordan

Belleville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Judged:

Just so everyone knows, The MO Puppy Expo is under weekly protest by grassroots animal welfare activists, as is Pampered Pets at St. Clair Square Mall in Fairview Heights (which is owned by Ovella Lange, another commercial breeder with 130+ dogs on her property) and Petland in Lake St. Louis (which procures dogs from the Hunte Corporation and other local commercial breeders).

You can find out more at Let Me Out and Love Me: http://www.facebook.com/home.php ?#!/pages/Saint-Louis-MO/Let-M e-Out-and-Love-Me-Oppose-Comme rcial-Breeding/217566887445?re f=ts&__a=24&ajaxpipe=1
lacebra

O Fallon, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Judged:

COME! Join our peaceful PROTEST of the Puppy Mill Expo, on Suemandy Dr. off Midrivers mall Drive, Sunday 12:00 to 1:00 p.m. WE WILL BE LOOKING FOR YOU!
Jake Norman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

Judged:

Sean Jordan - I work close to the St. Clair Mall... Let me know if you need anything... I'd love to go over there and give them a piece of my mind (peacefully).
Jake Norman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2010

What I mean is... I'm sure the folks that are working at the PP have know idea where the dogs come from.... so I should probably tell them.
I didn't mean to sound so ruthless... I was just upset.

Since: Feb 10

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

That place is an abomination, as is Pampered Pets, at Mid Rivers Mall, across the street. BOTH get puppies from what THEY call "breeders". Sure, ANYBODY can breed dogs, that doesn't make them a REPUTABLE breeder. It's a matter of semantice (wording) to decieve the poor potential puppy buyer, and for them to market masses of abused and neglected, purposely bred animals, for their own profit.
HUGE Congratulations to Channel 2 for exposing these places for what they are!!
Missouri Puppy Expo now has a VERY large sign in it's windows that no t.v.cameras or video equipmentof any kind is allowed in the store. Also would appear severla employees have quit, as they also have signs for "Help Wanted".
Seems like the people who QUIT have a conscience!
Congrats again to Channel 2! and THANK you, from those of us who CARE about dogs and animals, as well as the potential owners.
There are SO many terrific, needing dogs and animals in the Humane Societies. Often times a dog older than a puppy is a MUCH better pet!

Since: Feb 10

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

Jake Norman wrote:
What I mean is... I'm sure the folks that are working at the PP have know idea where the dogs come from.... so I should probably tell them.
I didn't mean to sound so ruthless... I was just upset.
WHAT???
YOu don't think THEY are ruthless?? I WORKED AT Ovella's, store on Dorsett, before it closed. I REFUSED to work for her, because of the puppies she sold. I cleaned at night to help a manager there, and he traded me for birdseed to feed my birds.
(I had managed the pet store there, Tropical World Pets, before Ovella bought it and changed it to the second Pampered Pets..she later sold it to another pet store, which did not sell puppies, and which I worked in, until they closed.
When it was Pampered Pets, I SAW where her puppies came from, and how they were fed Trix cereal for the sugar, so they wouldn't go into siezures, and be on a sugar high for the customers.
I ALSo saw the constant diarrhea, and the people who came in after spending hundreds to make their new puppy better from a preventable disease (contagious or hereditary), and wanting some reimbursement, and being refused, and also the many who came in after their puppy died a horrible preventable death, to just be told that the store was "sorry".
I also remember puppies in the window at the Store in Mid Rivers, years ago, that were under the lights, panting, with no water. I told the teenagers that were standing around that the puppies needed water. I waited, went back, and still no water. I went back THREE times, and refused to leave until they gave the puppies water.
One boy VERY reluctantly and angrily got water, while I watched, and the girls just kept on talking and gossiping about boys and school. I vowed never to go in there agian.
Fairview Heights, Il. is her original store, and she lives on the Illinois side of the river. She seldom goes into the stores, and clearly seems not to really care what happens in them, as long as it does not affect the profits.
There is NOTHING good to be said about that place, except that it carries a premium brand of birdseed. Period.
Just for the record, I have Shown purebred AKC dogs for 35 years, trained all breeds and mixed breeds for over 25 years, founded the local rescue for my breed 28 years ago, and support and am a judge for Mixed Breed Dog Club of America.
Kathie O

Barnhart, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

I don't understand what's wrong with our government (USDA) that allows this type of treatment to a living creature...we spend thousands on animal control needlessly euthanizing dogs and cats by the thousands and then the government keeps allowing these breeders to mass produce dogs and cats without any care for their welfare and the cycle just keeps repeating. PLEASE!! Don't buy from a pet store!!
AhHa

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

Geez.....Whatever happened to FREE Enterprise????
Entreprenuership has died and the communist have risen!
MeeeToo

O Fallon, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

YES! Thank you for Finally making this place public!!!
kaos

Chesterfield, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

The problem doesn't entirely lay with the puppy mills, although they are a large part of it. The problem lies with the ignorant people that think that spending $3000 on the latest "trendy" dog is the way to go. As long as there are big spenders (demand), there will be puppy mills (supply). It's really simple economics. That doesn't make it right, but that's the way it is.
MeeeToo

O Fallon, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

Totally agree with kaos...For those 'breed only buyers'-with all the raids lately around the US, there are many 'pure bred' dogs and pups that now need homes and won't cost nearly what you think quality is worth. People are truly obliviously in lust and feed the greed. Adoption Only is going to be the new pet purchase process...until this population comes under humane management. MISSOURIANS are FOR THE PROTECTION OF DOGS! http://missourifordogs.com/ Shame on those who spend money so frivolously.
Michael Vick

Irving, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

Do they have any Pitts for adoption?????
Martykay

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

I've only heard bad things about this place in St. Peters. So when we wanted a pet we did not even go there but to an individual breeder.
People -- if you have any compassion for animals at all, don't go to pet stores or a place like this
or individuals selling pets in the paper that lists many different breeds; when you are looking for that special pet.
Sharon Roberts

Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

Your report on the puppy mill was great. Maybe it will keep some people from buying dogs bred in horrible conditions.
Hopefully you will follow up on what the USDA is not doing--inforcing the law--even after their own inspection in November.
Your expose has given attention to the "puppy mill capitol of the U.S.". How sad that MO ranks No. 1.
And the Schlinders continue......
lacebra

O Fallon, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

GO TO A SHELTER! As long as you buy from ANY breeder, you are adding to the problem!
John D

Lake Saint Louis, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 14, 2010

Judged:

Sadly Missouri is the # Puppy Mill Capital in the nation. Maybe 10 years ago a consumer could purchase a dog from a pet store and be fooled by these deceptive owners that are cruel and inhumane to the breeding dogs but today NO ONE WANTS PET STORES AROUND. If your going to buy a dog through a breeder then ONLY BUY IF YOU SEE HOW THE PARENT DOGS ARE TREATED AND WHERE THEY ARE LIVING FIRST HAND. No good breeder would sell their dogs through a pet store. Pet store sales depend on DECEPTION. USDA approved or licenssed means nothing. People think if a pet store owner tells them all their dogs are "licensed" they are treated kindly. All you need to do is have rural land and a dog becomes a livestock and you can have as many as you want. One of the few regulations is the cage has to be 6 inches taller , wider and longer than the dog so these heartless people keep them in cages 24/7 without ever cleaning them, vetting them properly or loving them at all. A PUPPY MILL dog eventually goes nuts (obsessively walking in circles for hours on end) due to the boredom. Why did these people lease to this couple anyway. They should be held just as responsible.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Excessive Heat Warning for St Louis County was issued at August 20 at 3:33PM CDT

•••
•••
•••

St. Louis Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

St. Louis People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

St. Louis News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in St. Louis