Non-English speaking voters may face challenge during presidential election

Sep 2, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Wisconsin voters who don't speak English could face a challenge much greater than deciding on a candidate in the presidential election in November.

Comments
1 - 20 of 28 Comments Last updated Sep 25, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Milw TaXpayer

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 2, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Maybe they shouldn't be voting in an English speaking country. If you want to vote in the USA learn the language!
Black Jack Lanza

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 4, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Milw TaXpayer wrote:
Maybe they shouldn't be voting in an English speaking country. If you want to vote in the USA learn the language!
Maybe like our ancestors, they are leaning English, Maybe you're a BIGOT!

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 12, 2012
 
Technically English is the language of England, our country is/was made of a melting pot of cultures, it's what makes our country unique, if you want everyone to speak English go live in England, maybe?
Lol just an observation for the BIGOT! Lol
Milw TaXpayer

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 12, 2012
 
English remains the dominant language of international business and global communication through the influence of global media and the former British Empire that had established the use of English in regions around the world such as North America, India, Africa, Australia and New Zealand.
Milw TaXpayer

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

English is without a doubt the actual universal language. It is the world's second largest native language, the official language in 70 countries, and English-speaking countries are responsible for about 40% of world's total GNP.

English can be at least understood almost everywhere among scholars and educated people, as it is the world media language, and the language of cinema, TV, pop music and the computer world. All over the planet people know many English words, their pronunciation and meaning.

The causes for this universality are very well known and understandable. English first began to spread during the 16th century with British Empire and was strongly reinforced in 20th by USA world domination in economic, political and military aspects and by the huge influence of American movies.

The concept of a Universal Language is more significant only now, in the era of world mass communication. Before this era Greek, Latin, French were to some extent universal languages, though mainly in Europe.
Milw TaXpayer

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 12, 2012
 

Judged:

1

English Language uses Latin alphabet, the most universal, simple and short one (only the Greek alphabet is shorter and simpler). In addition, in English, the Latin Alphabet presents its most "clean" form as a true alphabet with only 26 basic letters and no diacritics;

Verb conjugation is very simple and easy. Even for irregular verbs, there is almost no variation in person (except 3rd singular in present tense).

Regular verbs have only four forms: Infinitive + Present, Past Tense + Past Participle, 3rd person singular Present Indicative, Present Participle.

There are almost no Inflections. No number or gender inflection for adjectives, articles, adverbs. For adjectives there is only comparative and superlative, almost only number for nouns. In pronouns there are gender and number inflections and only three declension cases (Acc/Dat, Nom, Gen).

English is one of the most analytical languages, with no significant synthetic, fusional or agglutinative characteristics
Milw TaXpayer

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 13, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

91V3UP wrote:
So why does a person "have" to speak English to vote again? Just because it is the most widely used language does mean shit, our I repeat OUR country is on the basis of freedoms, you should be free to speak whatever language you want, if you are a citizen, you have that right! God are you a DICK! Have you no respect for the struggle of these people? Have you no heart? Or are you the pilgrim who thought of the idea to give Native Americans blankets to keep warm that were riddled with small pox?
Unless you are Mr. Perfect
Dear Dick!
You are free to speak whatever language you want, but if you want to function in a "english" speaking country common sense would tell you (well, maybe not you!) that your chances of success are better if you have command of the common language.

That is the difference better me and you, I don't care if you/they do or don't speak english, you, on the other hand, think that everyone should bend to the the wants and needs of the non english speakers because you say so!

Sorry but the world doesn't work that way, the world doesn't give a S**t what you want.

If you moved to France do you expect the french to suddenly change all their signs,ballots,computers,menu's to english simply because you now live there and YOU want it that way.

Sorry Dick it isn't going to happen.
Verne Gagne

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Milw TaXpayer wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Dick!
You are free to speak whatever language you want, but if you want to function in a "english" speaking country common sense would tell you (well, maybe not you!) that your chances of success are better if you have command of the common language.
That is the difference better me and you, I don't care if you/they do or don't speak english, you, on the other hand, think that everyone should bend to the the wants and needs of the non english speakers because you say so!
Sorry but the world doesn't work that way, the world doesn't give a S**t what you want.
If you moved to France do you expect the french to suddenly change all their signs,ballots,computers,menu's to english simply because you now live there and YOU want it that way.
Sorry Dick it isn't going to happen.
Yeah....Speak “American” or don't vote right? What's next for a requirement? You must drive a pick-up with a gun rack, wear gargoyle sunglasses, and a camo baseball cap……And watch NASCAR?

Since: Aug 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Milw TaXpayer wrote:
<quoted text>Dear Dick!
You are free to speak whatever language you want, but if you want to function in a "english" speaking country common sense would tell you (well, maybe not you!) that your chances of success are better if you have command of the common language.

That is the difference better me and you, I don't care if you/they do or don't speak english, you, on the other hand, think that everyone should bend to the the wants and needs of the non english speakers because you say so!

Sorry but the world doesn't work that way, the world doesn't give a S**t what you want.

If you moved to France do you expect the french to suddenly change all their signs,ballots,computers,menu's to english simply because you now live there and YOU want it that way.

Sorry Dick it isn't going to happen.
Oh my ignorance
1. Did your ancestors come to this country speaking perfect english?
2. Once again our country is built on the idea of freedom, get a dictionary cocksucker, free! We should be free to speak to anything language we like, wear whatever clothing we like, pray to whatever or whoever we like. If we didn't have these freedoms we would still be under British rule, do you know nothing of history?
Just because someone is different does not make them less of a citizen, what are you going to come up with next? African Americans can't vote because there skin is different? Or women?
We are the melting pot of the world get over it, we accept you and your aryan beliefs, except them for what they are and move forward, open your mind, be a leader, not a follower, spewing out information you get from others or maybe your racist fondling father, either way you have that right, and you should give it to others.
PSDin WI

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 19, 2012
 
If you want to vote and don't speak english then you are most likely illegal and are not supposed to vote. And if you want to call me a bigot then your a moron.
PR and Proud

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 19, 2012
 
Milw TaXpayer wrote:
English is without a doubt the actual universal language. It is the world's second largest native language, the official language in 70 countries, and English-speaking countries are responsible for about 40% of world's total GNP.
English can be at least understood almost everywhere among scholars and educated people, as it is the world media language, and the language of cinema, TV, pop music and the computer world. All over the planet people know many English words, their pronunciation and meaning.
The causes for this universality are very well known and understandable. English first began to spread during the 16th century with British Empire and was strongly reinforced in 20th by USA world domination in economic, political and military aspects and by the huge influence of American movies.
The concept of a Universal Language is more significant only now, in the era of world mass communication. Before this era Greek, Latin, French were to some extent universal languages, though mainly in Europe.
1) Before English became the 'language of commerce', they developed Esperanto in Europe (a largely latin-based language) as the universal language there. Before Esperanto, educated people needed to learn French and/or Spanish. What language is dominant at any given time doesn't make it an absolute requirement... that's a ridiculous assertion.

2) Germany, Sweden, Italy, France, Spain, and South America have always had a huge impact on the history of cinema. Many English-language films are remakes of European (and even Asian) films made to the monolingual USAmerican market. To insist English is the language of cinema is... frankly... stupid. You obviously don't know very much about the art form. And television! Ever hear of a Univision and/or Telemundo. Telemundo would literally translate into World Television. Telemundo is an USAmerican produced network. Apparently, USAmerica doesn't agree with your opinions.

3) English IS NOT the language of popular music. There is a HUGE Spanish-langauge Pop Music market. There is a GIGANTIC Japanese-language Pop Music market. Virtually every language in the world has their own native healthy Pop Music scene with or without English-language Pop. You don't follow music every closely either.

4) And your last bit is as embarrassing as the rest of your post. Are you aware the Greek and Roman empires ventured out of Europe? How do you think they communicated with other (Asian and African) empires? They communicated through multilingual scribes. Yes, it was an occupation way back then. And, if the world was considered Europe or Persia in a given period and your native tongue becomes the language of commerce, that is universal. If a universal language is created so an entire continent of several languages can communicate in commerce, that's universal.

A present day remnant of Esperanto still exists. Ever hear of the Movado Swiss Made watch brand? Ever wonder why a Swiss Made watch has a non-Swiss name? Movado is Esperanto for movement. Esperanto was that well known and widespread. Spanish - movimiento. Italian - movimentazione. French - mouvement.

By they way, have you made the connection to the Latin and English words? English wouldn't exist without Latin and German. Show some respect for history.
PR and Proud

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 19, 2012
 
PSDin WI wrote:
If you want to vote and don't speak english then you are most likely illegal and are not supposed to vote. And if you want to call me a bigot then your a moron.
I wouldn't label you a a bigot as much as I'd label you a moron.

1) I don't need to "speak" English at all to read a name. I don't need to understand English well to hear someone claiming I'm an irresponsible welfare recipient, if I don't vote for a particular individual.

2) You don't need to read, write, understand or speak English to LEGALLY migrate to the USA. In fact, you are required, in many countries, to submit an application in English and your native tongue. I most countries, individuals hire transcribers for this requirement. You don't know these facts because it's been a while since your ancestors migrated here. Heck, most early generations of Europeans didn't learn English at all.

3) Illegals voting is not a widespread USAmerican problem. It's a placebo to keep 'sharp' like yourself believing in the idea of Manifest Destiny.

Stoop on.
Dick Dabruser

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 19, 2012
 
PSDin WI wrote:
If you want to vote and don't speak english then you are most likely illegal and are not supposed to vote. And if you want to call me a bigot then your a moron.
If I call you a migot, then I am a boron, or are you the boron, and I am the Miggot? You're still a racist biggot however!
Pat Richards

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 20, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Black Jack Lanza wrote:
<quoted text> Maybe like our ancestors, they are leaning English, Maybe you're a BIGOT!
California solved this problem Rather than encourage assimilation which leads to prosperity we print everything in 28 languages. Democrats believe that keeping non english language people feeling sepearate and divided from their fellow American citizens makes it more likely that they stay ecomonically disadvantaged and will vote for anything with a D beside it's name on a Ballot. It has been wildly successful for the Party.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 20, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Pat Richards wrote:
<quoted text>
California solved this problem Rather than encourage assimilation which leads to prosperity we print everything in 28 languages. Democrats believe that keeping non english language people feeling sepearate and divided from their fellow American citizens makes it more likely that they stay ecomonically disadvantaged and will vote for anything with a D beside it's name on a Ballot. It has been wildly successful for the Party.
Wrong.
Halliburton

Brookfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 20, 2012
 
Black Jack Lanza wrote:
<quoted text> Maybe like our ancestors, they are leaning English, Maybe you're a BIGOT!
YES! The B Word has been played!
Halliburton

Brookfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 20, 2012
 
91V3UP wrote:
Technically English is the language of England, our country is/was made of a melting pot of cultures, it's what makes our country unique, if you want everyone to speak English go live in England, maybe?
Lol just an observation for the BIGOT! Lol
YES!! The B Word twice now in two posts! U guys Rock!
Halliburton

Brookfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Sep 20, 2012
 
Verne Gagne wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah....Speak “American” or don't vote right? What's next for a requirement? You must drive a pick-up with a gun rack, wear gargoyle sunglasses, and a camo baseball cap……And watch NASCAR?
Verne Gagne? YES! U ROCK! What about Dick the Bruiser?
Halliburton

Brookfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Sep 20, 2012
 
Dick Dabruser wrote:
<quoted text> If I call you a migot, then I am a boron, or are you the boron, and I am the Miggot? You're still a racist biggot however!
Sorry, I spoke too soon!! How about Verne Gagne and Jim Brunzell ... THE HIGH FLYERS!
Halliburton

Brookfield, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Sep 20, 2012
 
wedjat wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong.
Well said! What insight! U ROCK!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••