Governor pledges to protect ferry hours

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine has pledged to keep the Jamestown -Scotland Ferry operating 24 hours a day.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated May 10, 2009
Is that so

Yorktown, VA

#1 May 5, 2009
One thing about Kaine, he's completely predictable!
josiah p

Hampton, VA

#2 May 5, 2009
please do not let the ferry go...i will never need a boat and save a lot of money as long as i can count on a ferry ride!!!!!
Hayes Resident

AOL

#3 May 6, 2009
Cut, Cut, Cut,he'd cut his momma. I thought a governor was suppost to give and do for his state.
Jack Gauthier

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#4 May 6, 2009
What about half of the rest areas thats were proposed to shut down? Tax payers deserve to go to the bathrooms while traveling in thier own state or even visitors to our great state as well.
Mike Shipley

Hughesville, MD

#5 May 6, 2009
Virginia Gazette has a better article:

Kaine to VDOT: Shut up and sail

http://www.vagazette.com/articles/2009/05/06/...
Mike Shipley

Hughesville, MD

#6 May 6, 2009
Jack Gauthier wrote:
What about half of the rest areas thats were proposed to shut down? Tax payers deserve to go to the bathrooms while traveling in thier own state or even visitors to our great state as well.
Idaho chased David Ekern out of their state, and Virginia inherits him. VDOT Commish Ekern only been in Virginia since late 2006.
Ummmm

Chesapeake, VA

#8 May 6, 2009
Kaine pledged in the letter to keep the ferry running 24 hours a day and said the state will not impose a toll to provide the service

WHY???
Professor

Virginia Beach, VA

#9 May 6, 2009
The problem is, and will continue to be VDOT! Until there is a complete housecleaning of the corrupt idiots who run VDOT, nothing will get better with our transportation.

VDOT IS CORRUPT MESS!
Yorktown Rider

Yorktown, VA

#10 May 6, 2009
Why did it take the Govenor to step in to get people to start thinking straight? We pay officals at VDOT and the Transportation Board for what? Perhaps, the way to save money for VDOT is to hire people that are knowledgable in their position and truly give a damn about the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia. But, instead we hire people that are egostical, self serving, and have their heads stuck in the sand. The ferry has one thing and one thing only to give to the citizens and that is service. You can't do that by cutting it.
Smithfield Bill

Newport News, VA

#11 May 6, 2009
Well, it is a cheaper option than building another bridge, not neccessarily better but cheaper.
okay

Richmond, VA

#12 May 6, 2009
Smithfield Bill wrote:
Well, it is a cheaper option than building another bridge, not neccessarily better but cheaper.
Not in the long run. They pay dozens of employees to run the ferry. They also spend a lot of money to maintain the aging boats and a new (multi-million dollar) boat will be needed in the near future to keep the system running.
I think that building a bridge and tolling it is a good option. Those people who are so adamantly against a bridge need to think of the alternative which could very well be NO crossing between James City and Surry.
Walmart

Williamsburg, VA

#13 May 6, 2009
okay wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in the long run. They pay dozens of employees to run the ferry. They also spend a lot of money to maintain the aging boats and a new (multi-million dollar) boat will be needed in the near future to keep the system running.
I think that building a bridge and tolling it is a good option. Those people who are so adamantly against a bridge need to think of the alternative which could very well be NO crossing between James City and Surry.
Okay friend, where do you suggest they put the bridge? There is no place to put a bridge. JCC side has changed since the early 90's. The Governor gave more then asked - he instructed VDOT to get federal funding for a new boat to get rid of the little one - the Virginia. A good name for the new boat: Cpt John Smith?
bubba

United States

#14 May 6, 2009
Professor wrote:
The problem is, and will continue to be VDOT! Until there is a complete housecleaning of the corrupt idiots who run VDOT, nothing will get better with our transportation.
VDOT IS CORRUPT MESS!
I work for the corrupt idiots and brother you aint seen nothing yet wait till they start contracting out everything and spending three times what they are spending know i am going to loose my job after 15 years and i found that out from the six oclock news they tell us nothing how you think we feel
Smithfield Bill

Newport News, VA

#15 May 8, 2009
okay wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in the long run. They pay dozens of employees to run the ferry. They also spend a lot of money to maintain the aging boats and a new (multi-million dollar) boat will be needed in the near future to keep the system running.
I think that building a bridge and tolling it is a good option. Those people who are so adamantly against a bridge need to think of the alternative which could very well be NO crossing between James City and Surry.
Actually, 2 bridges are needed one up near the ferry and one from Newport News City Farm to Smithfield around Mogarts Beach.
Abdul Aleem

United States

#16 May 10, 2009
Professor wrote:
The problem is, and will continue to be VDOT! Until there is a complete housecleaning of the corrupt idiots who run VDOT, nothing will get better with our transportation.
VDOT IS CORRUPT MESS!


Right on bro! I was stunned when I learned about 1.8 million dollar a year security contract at the ferry. According to press reports VDOT never asked for a waiver. Incompetence! Obvious they do not care about tax payers money. I bet Commissioner David Eckern was livid when he learned of the waste and then taken to the woodshed by the state's chief executive. Heads will probably roll on this one. Eckern needs to have someone take a serious look into the ferry and look into everything.
Bahriyah al Aabidah

New York, NY

#17 May 10, 2009
Abdul Aleem wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on bro! I was stunned when I learned about 1.8 million dollar a year security contract at the ferry. According to press reports VDOT never asked for a waiver. Incompetence! Obvious they do not care about tax payers money. I bet Commissioner David Eckern was livid when he learned of the waste and then taken to the woodshed by the state's chief executive. Heads will probably roll on this one. Eckern needs to have someone take a serious look into the ferry and look into everything.
I agree. I was thinking about the security guards, but they'll get jobs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Virginia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ex-Va. Gov. McDonnell and wife charged with fed... (Jan '14) 9 hr Swedenforever 27
PrideFest draws record crowd, celebrates progre... Sat Sneaky Pete 10
Bob McDonnell: Mitt Romney will win Virginia (Apr '12) Aug 29 Swedenforever 7
Virginia Criminal Defense Attorney Opens New Of... (Mar '12) Aug 29 Cory Trevor 2
909 Courtyard | Calendar of Events in Richmond Va Aug 27 kunalshah 1
Virginia prepares for possibility of gay marriage Aug 27 swedenforever 32
yvette anne marion handfield stoped living virg... Aug 27 DEVIL ANNETTE MARION 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Virginia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••