Governor pledges to protect ferry hours

Full story: Hampton Roads Daily Press

Gov. Timothy M. Kaine has pledged to keep the Jamestown -Scotland Ferry operating 24 hours a day.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated May 10, 2009
Is that so

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2009

One thing about Kaine, he's completely predictable!
josiah p

Hampton, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2009

please do not let the ferry go...i will never need a boat and save a lot of money as long as i can count on a ferry ride!!!!!
Hayes Resident

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Cut, Cut, Cut,he'd cut his momma. I thought a governor was suppost to give and do for his state.
Jack Gauthier

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

What about half of the rest areas thats were proposed to shut down? Tax payers deserve to go to the bathrooms while traveling in thier own state or even visitors to our great state as well.
Mike Shipley

Hughesville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Virginia Gazette has a better article:

Kaine to VDOT: Shut up and sail

http://www.vagazette.com/articles/2009/05/06/...
Mike Shipley

Hughesville, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Jack Gauthier wrote:
What about half of the rest areas thats were proposed to shut down? Tax payers deserve to go to the bathrooms while traveling in thier own state or even visitors to our great state as well.
Idaho chased David Ekern out of their state, and Virginia inherits him. VDOT Commish Ekern only been in Virginia since late 2006.
Ummmm

Chesapeake, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Kaine pledged in the letter to keep the ferry running 24 hours a day and said the state will not impose a toll to provide the service

WHY???
Professor

Virginia Beach, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

The problem is, and will continue to be VDOT! Until there is a complete housecleaning of the corrupt idiots who run VDOT, nothing will get better with our transportation.

VDOT IS CORRUPT MESS!
Yorktown Rider

Yorktown, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Why did it take the Govenor to step in to get people to start thinking straight? We pay officals at VDOT and the Transportation Board for what? Perhaps, the way to save money for VDOT is to hire people that are knowledgable in their position and truly give a damn about the citizens of the Commonwealth of Virginia. But, instead we hire people that are egostical, self serving, and have their heads stuck in the sand. The ferry has one thing and one thing only to give to the citizens and that is service. You can't do that by cutting it.
Smithfield Bill

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Well, it is a cheaper option than building another bridge, not neccessarily better but cheaper.
okay

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Smithfield Bill wrote:
Well, it is a cheaper option than building another bridge, not neccessarily better but cheaper.
Not in the long run. They pay dozens of employees to run the ferry. They also spend a lot of money to maintain the aging boats and a new (multi-million dollar) boat will be needed in the near future to keep the system running.
I think that building a bridge and tolling it is a good option. Those people who are so adamantly against a bridge need to think of the alternative which could very well be NO crossing between James City and Surry.
Walmart

Williamsburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

okay wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in the long run. They pay dozens of employees to run the ferry. They also spend a lot of money to maintain the aging boats and a new (multi-million dollar) boat will be needed in the near future to keep the system running.
I think that building a bridge and tolling it is a good option. Those people who are so adamantly against a bridge need to think of the alternative which could very well be NO crossing between James City and Surry.
Okay friend, where do you suggest they put the bridge? There is no place to put a bridge. JCC side has changed since the early 90's. The Governor gave more then asked - he instructed VDOT to get federal funding for a new boat to get rid of the little one - the Virginia. A good name for the new boat: Cpt John Smith?
bubba

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 6, 2009

Judged:

Professor wrote:
The problem is, and will continue to be VDOT! Until there is a complete housecleaning of the corrupt idiots who run VDOT, nothing will get better with our transportation.
VDOT IS CORRUPT MESS!
I work for the corrupt idiots and brother you aint seen nothing yet wait till they start contracting out everything and spending three times what they are spending know i am going to loose my job after 15 years and i found that out from the six oclock news they tell us nothing how you think we feel
Smithfield Bill

Newport News, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2009

Judged:

okay wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, 2 bridges are needed one up near the ferry and one from Newport News City Farm to Smithfield around Mogarts Beach.
Abdul Aleem

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2009

Judged:

Professor wrote:
VDOT IS CORRUPT MESS!

Right on bro! I was stunned when I learned about 1.8 million dollar a year security contract at the ferry. According to press reports VDOT never asked for a waiver. Incompetence! Obvious they do not care about tax payers money. I bet Commissioner David Eckern was livid when he learned of the waste and then taken to the woodshed by the state's chief executive. Heads will probably roll on this one. Eckern needs to have someone take a serious look into the ferry and look into everything.
Bahriyah al Aabidah

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2009

Judged:

Abdul Aleem wrote:
<quoted text>
Right on bro! I was stunned when I learned about 1.8 million dollar a year security contract at the ferry. According to press reports VDOT never asked for a waiver. Incompetence! Obvious they do not care about tax payers money. I bet Commissioner David Eckern was livid when he learned of the waste and then taken to the woodshed by the state's chief executive. Heads will probably roll on this one. Eckern needs to have someone take a serious look into the ferry and look into everything.
I agree. I was thinking about the security guards, but they'll get jobs.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••