Secede? What? Wasn't that issue settled?

Just in case you have better things to do than listen to right-wing radio, watch nutball TV shows or read the Interwebs, don't worry, I've got you covered. Full Story
First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Love TX or leave

United States

#207 May 19, 2009
Who the wrote:
<quoted text>
F are you - a one man legislature?
"Here are the bills I passed this week"
And why are you spamming us in New Mexico?
Duh this is on the TX list and about TX.
Love TX or leave

United States

#208 May 19, 2009
JustAThought wrote:
<quoted text>
My first point on this thread, I do believe. But someone needs to help Gov. Perry get a rectal-cranial extraction.
Take care of your NM Gov.
Ron-Texas

Temple, TX

#209 May 19, 2009
Zorkon 756 wrote:
I want to say something nice about Texas.
Of all the cities I've seen, Dallas, coming into town off the Ft Worth/Dallas turnpike, through Oak Cliff has by far the prettiest skyline.
San Antonio (on the right side of town)is also beautiful. Go out Zazamora and you are in the pits.
I have always been attracted to much of Austin, expecially the area around the river and Zelker Park. Barton Springs has always been impressive.
I'd like to say something nice about Houston too, just as soon as I can think of anything.
Thanks for the nice things you've said about Texas, and the only good/best thing I can say about Houston, is when I see it in my rear-view mirror. Last time I went there(1975) I asked GOD if HE would get me out, I'd promise 'never' go back, and HE did, and I have not!!
Ron-Texas

Temple, TX

#210 May 19, 2009
Zorkon 756 wrote:
I want to say something nice about Texas.
Of all the cities I've seen, Dallas, coming into town off the Ft Worth/Dallas turnpike, through Oak Cliff has by far the prettiest skyline.
San Antonio (on the right side of town)is also beautiful. Go out Zazamora and you are in the pits.
I have always been attracted to much of Austin, expecially the area around the river and Zelker Park. Barton Springs has always been impressive.
I'd like to say something nice about Houston too, just as soon as I can think of anything.
PS. San Antonio just cleaned out the river(river-walk) and filled it with re-cycled potty water. Oh-well????
Love TX or leave

United States

#211 May 19, 2009
May 18, 2009
From Gov. office
With states facing nearly $100 billion in combined budget deficits this year, we're seeing more governors than ever proposing the Barack Obama solution to balancing the budget: Soak the rich. Lawmakers in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York and Oregon want to raise income tax rates on the top 1% or 2% or 5% of their citizens. New Illinois Gov. Patrick Quinn wants a 50% increase in the income tax rate on the wealthy because this is the "fair" way to close his state's gaping deficit.
Mr. Quinn and other tax-raising governors have been emboldened by recent studies by left-wing groups like the Center for Budget and Policy Priorities that suggest that "tax increases, particularly tax increases on higher-income families, may be the best available option." A recent letter to New York Gov. David Paterson signed by 100 economists advises the Empire State to "raise tax rates for high income families right away."
Here's the problem for states that want to pry more money out of the wallets of rich people. It never works because people, investment capital and businesses are mobile: They can leave tax-unfriendly states and move to tax-friendly states.
And the evidence that we discovered in our new study for the American Legislative Exchange Council, "Rich States, Poor States," published in March, shows that Americans are more sensitive to high taxes than ever before. The tax differential between low-tax and high-tax states is widening, meaning that a relocation from high-tax California or Ohio, to no-income tax Texas or Tennessee, is all the more financially profitable both in terms of lower tax bills and more job opportunities.
Updating some research from Richard Vedder of Ohio University, we found that from 1998 to 2007, more than 1,100 people every day including Sundays and holidays moved from the nine highest income-tax states such as California, New Jersey, New York and Ohio and relocated mostly to the nine tax-haven states with no income tax, including Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire and Texas. We also found that over these same years the no-income tax states created 89% more jobs and had 32% faster personal income growth than their high-tax counterparts.
Love TX or leave

United States

#212 May 19, 2009
Did the greater prosperity in low-tax states happen by chance? Is it coincidence that the two highest tax-rate states in the nation, California and New York, have the biggest fiscal holes to repair? No. Dozens of academic studies -- old and new -- have found clear and irrefutable statistical evidence that high state and local taxes repel jobs and businesses.
Martin Feldstein, Harvard economist and former president of the National Bureau of Economic Research, co-authored a famous study in 1998 called "Can State Taxes Redistribute Income?" This should be required reading for today's state legislators. It concludes: "Since individuals can avoid unfavorable taxes by migrating to jurisdictions that offer more favorable tax conditions, a relatively unfavorable tax will cause gross wages to adjust.... A more progressive tax thus induces firms to hire fewer high skilled employees and to hire more low skilled employees."
More recently, Barry W. Poulson of the University of Colorado last year examined many factors that explain why some states grew richer than others from 1964 to 2004 and found "a significant negative impact of higher marginal tax rates on state economic growth." In other words, soaking the rich doesn't work. To the contrary, middle-class workers end up taking the hit.
Finally, there is the issue of whether high-income people move away from states that have high income-tax rates. Examining IRS tax return data by state, E.J. McMahon, a fiscal expert at the Manhattan Institute, measured the impact of large income-tax rate increases on the rich ($200,000 income or more) in Connecticut, which raised its tax rate in 2003 to 5% from 4.5%; in New Jersey, which raised its rate in 2004 to 8.97% from 6.35%; and in New York, which raised its tax rate in 2003 to 7.7% from 6.85%. Over the period 2002-2005, in each of these states the "soak the rich" tax hike was followed by a significant reduction in the number of rich people paying taxes in these states relative to the national average. Amazingly, these three states ranked 46th, 49th and 50th among all states in the percentage increase in wealthy tax filers in the years after they tried to soak the rich.
Love TX or leave

United States

#214 May 19, 2009
SAN ANTONIO – Gov. Rick Perry today announced the state will invest $6 million through the Texas Enterprise Fund (TEF) in Medtronic Inc. to open a new facility for its diabetes business unit in San Antonio, creating nearly 1,400 new jobs and generating more than $23 million in capital investment.

“By expanding their diabetes division in San Antonio, I believe that Medtronic is sending a clear message that the core strength of Texas’ economy, built on our low taxes, fair legal system and predictable regulatory climate make the Lone Star State the best place to live, work and raise a family,” Gov. Perry said.“These factors, combined with our quality workforce and a $6 million investment from the Texas Enterprise Fund, make it possible for us to make today’s announcement about more jobs for Texans.”

“The Texas Enterprise Fund was an important part of our decision to expand to Texas, and we are excited to add the city of San Antonio to the Medtronic family, and look forward to becoming an active member of the growing biomedical community in South Texas,” said Chris O’Connell, president of the Diabetes business and senior vice president at Medtronic.“Medtronic offers exciting and fulfilling career opportunities helping people with chronic diseases live healthier, more productive lives.”

Medtronic, Inc. is a global leader in medical technology, helping restore health and improve the quality of life for millions of people around the world. Medtronic Diabetes is a leader in advanced diabetes management solutions, including integrated diabetes management systems, insulin pump therapy, continuous glucose monitoring systems and therapy management software.

"Today's announcement is the result of a great public and private sector collaborative effort," said Speaker Joe Straus. "Medtronic's decision to create jobs in San Antonio is proof that our dedication to low taxes and reasonable regulations continues to make Texas the best state in which to do business in the country."

"The decision by Medtronic to bring 1,400 jobs to Texas is great news for San Antonio and the rest of our state and is further proof business opportunities remain stronger here in Texas than virtually any other state in America," Lt. Governor Dewhurst said. "Beyond the immediate impact of this announcement, it's my hope Medtronic, and other new companies, will spur more growth in Texas' medical industries."

At Gov. Perry’s request, the legislature created the TEF in 2003 and re-appropriated funding in 2005 and 2007 to help ensure the growth of Texas businesses and create more jobs throughout the state. The fund has since become one of the state’s most competitive tools to recruit and bolster business. To date, the TEF has invested more than $377 million and closed the deal on projects generating nearly 54,000 new jobs and $14 billion in capital investment in the state.

For more information on the Texas Enterprise

•Gov. Perry announces $6 million TEF investment in Medtronic Inc.
•Company will open new facility for diabetes division in San Antonio; create nearly 1,400 jobs
•To date, TEF has invested more than $377 million and created nearly 54,000 new jobs

Jeff Ruiz San Antonio Operations GM; Medtronic, Inc. Diabetes
Sick of White Trash

Breckenridge, TX

#216 May 19, 2009
The Old Coach wrote:
<quoted text>
He lives about two miles from me. If you like, we'll arrange for you to say that in person.
Sure go ahead
The Old Coach

Spring, TX

#217 May 20, 2009
Sick of White Trash wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure go ahead
Name and address please. He lives at the Lone Wolf Ranch near Navasota. Have health insurance, tough guy!
Ron-Texas

Moody, TX

#219 May 20, 2009
Love TX or leave wrote:
SAN ANTONIO – Gov. Rick Perry today announced the state will invest $6 million through the Texas Enterprise Fund (TEF) in Medtronic Inc. to open a new facility for its diabetes business unit in San Antonio, creating nearly 1,400 new jobs and generating more than $23 million in capital investment.
“By expanding their diabetes division in San Antonio, I believe that Medtronic is sending a clear message that the core strength of Texas’ economy, built on our low taxes, fair legal system and predictable regulatory climate make the Lone Star State the best place to live, work and raise a family,” Gov. Perry said.“These factors, combined with our quality workforce and a $6 million investment from the Texas Enterprise Fund, make it possible for us to make today’s announcement about more jobs for Texans.”
“The Texas Enterprise Fund was an important part of our decision to expand to Texas, and we are excited to add the city of San Antonio to the Medtronic family, and look forward to becoming an active member of the growing biomedical community in South Texas,” said Chris O’Connell, president of the Diabetes business and senior vice president at Medtronic.“Medtronic offers exciting and fulfilling career opportunities helping people with chronic diseases live healthier, more productive lives.”
Medtronic, Inc. is a global leader in medical technology, helping restore health and improve the quality of life for millions of people around the world. Medtronic Diabetes is a leader in advanced diabetes management solutions, including integrated diabetes management systems, insulin pump therapy, continuous glucose monitoring systems and therapy management software.
"Today's announcement is the result of a great public and private sector collaborative effort," said Speaker Joe Straus. "Medtronic's decision to create jobs in San Antonio is proof that our dedication to low taxes and reasonable regulations continues to make Texas the best state in which to do business in the country."
"The decision by Medtronic to bring 1,400 jobs to Texas is great news for San Antonio and the rest of our state and is further proof business opportunities remain stronger here in Texas than virtually any other state in America," Lt. Governor Dewhurst said. "Beyond the immediate impact of this announcement, it's my hope Medtronic, and other new companies, will spur more growth in Texas' medical industries."
At Gov. Perry’s request, the legislature created the TEF in 2003 and re-appropriated funding in 2005 and 2007 to help ensure the growth of Texas businesses and create more jobs throughout the state. The fund has since become one of the state’s most competitive tools to recruit and bolster business. To date, the TEF has invested more than $377 million and closed the deal on projects generating nearly 54,000 new jobs and $14 billion in capital investment in the state.
For more information on the Texas Enterprise
•Gov. Perry announces $6 million TEF investment in Medtronic Inc.
•Company will open new facility for diabetes division in San Antonio; create nearly 1,400 jobs
•To date, TEF has invested more than $377 million and created nearly 54,000 new jobs
Jeff Ruiz San Antonio Operations GM; Medtronic, Inc. Diabetes
Thank You! You are probably the only one on this subject that writes anything worth while and informative.(that doesn't have a lot of hate and discontent in it). I appreciate your time and effort. To heck with the rest of them.'Native Texan', by birthright and by Choice!!
Sick of White Trash

Breckenridge, TX

#220 May 20, 2009
The Old Coach wrote:
<quoted text>
Name and address please. He lives at the Lone Wolf Ranch near Navasota. Have health insurance, tough guy!
I live in Breckenridge. You contact him and have him reply on here with a time and a place in Breckenridge to meet him and i will.
The Old Coach

Spring, TX

#221 May 21, 2009
Sick of White Trash wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in Breckenridge. You contact him and have him reply on here with a time and a place in Breckenridge to meet him and i will.
"That's right, we bad, we bad!"

Since: May 09

n.y.

#222 May 21, 2009
Love TX or leave wrote:
SAN ANTONIO – Gov. Rick Perry today announced the state will invest $6 million through the Texas Enterprise Fund (TEF) in Medtronic Inc. to open a new facility for its diabetes business unit in San Antonio, creating nearly 1,400 new jobs and generating more than $23 million in capital investment.
“By expanding their diabetes division in San Antonio, I believe that Medtronic is sending a clear message that the core strength of Texas’ economy, built on our low taxes, fair legal system and predictable regulatory climate make the Lone Star State the best place to live, work and raise a family,” Gov. Perry said.“These factors, combined with our quality workforce and a $6 million investment from the Texas Enterprise Fund, make it possible for us to make today’s announcement about more jobs for Texans.”
“The Texas Enterprise Fund was an important part of our decision to expand to Texas, and we are excited to add the city of San Antonio to the Medtronic family, and look forward to becoming an active member of the growing biomedical community in South Texas,” said Chris O’Connell, president of the Diabetes business and senior vice president at Medtronic.“Medtronic offers exciting and fulfilling career opportunities helping people with chronic diseases live healthier, more productive lives.”
Medtronic, Inc. is a global leader in medical technology, helping restore health and improve the quality of life for millions of people around the world. Medtronic Diabetes is a leader in advanced diabetes management solutions, including integrated diabetes management systems, insulin pump therapy, continuous glucose monitoring systems and therapy management software.
"Today's announcement is the result of a great public and private sector collaborative effort," said Speaker Joe Straus. "Medtronic's decision to create jobs in San Antonio is proof that our dedication to low taxes and reasonable regulations continues to make Texas the best state in which to do business in the country."
"The decision by Medtronic to bring 1,400 jobs to Texas is great news for San Antonio and the rest of our state and is further proof business opportunities remain stronger here in Texas than virtually any other state in America," Lt. Governor Dewhurst said. "Beyond the immediate impact of this announcement, it's my hope Medtronic, and other new companies, will spur more growth in Texas' medical industries."
At Gov. Perry’s request, the legislature created the TEF in 2003 and re-appropriated funding in 2005 and 2007 to help ensure the growth of Texas businesses and create more jobs throughout the state. The fund has since become one of the state’s most competitive tools to recruit and bolster business. To date, the TEF has invested more than $377 million and closed the deal on projects generating nearly 54,000 new jobs and $14 billion in capital investment in the state.
For more information on the Texas Enterprise
•Gov. Perry announces $6 million TEF investment in Medtronic Inc.
•Company will open new facility for diabetes division in San Antonio; create nearly 1,400 jobs
•To date, TEF has invested more than $377 million and created nearly 54,000 new jobs
Jeff Ruiz San Antonio Operations GM; Medtronic, Inc. Diabetes
----------Medtronics is already being sued for faulty medical equipment,, and your gracious governor is going to give them millions of dollars for more inadequate B.S.--- he must be doing pretty well doing them a favor

Since: May 09

n.y.

#223 May 21, 2009
----------Medtronics is already being sued for faulty medical equipment,, and your gracious governor is going to give them millions of dollars for more inadequate B.S.--- he must be doing pretty well doing them a favor ---- yummy i wish i was a texas cowhoe
The Old Coach

Spring, TX

#224 May 22, 2009
texas trash toilet town wrote:
----------Medtronics is already being sued for faulty medical equipment,, and your gracious governor is going to give them millions of dollars for more inadequate B.S.--- he must be doing pretty well doing them a favor ---- yummy i wish i was a texas cowhoe
You're not good enough!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Texas Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 1 hr Fair Game 47,482
Who are you voting for in the Texas Governor race? 1 hr Liberal forever 30
Justices allow Texas to enforce strict voter ID... 2 hr Le Duped 121
Obama approves reservists for Ebola fight, gove... 2 hr mjjcpa 209
Second Texas nurse tests positive for Ebola; wo... 3 hr Responsibility 112
Who's got your vote in the Texas Attorney Gener... 3 hr Gasman 1
Who are you voting for in the Texas Lieutenant ... 3 hr Gasman 9

Texas People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE