Confronting the KKK in rural Maryland: June 1971

Jan 2, 2013 Full story: Daily Kos 14

I don't mind telling you how scared I was that morning of June 20, 1971. That was the day we were going to Rising Sun, Maryland to picket the Klan at a picnic they were sponsoring.

Full Story
Otay buckwheat

United States

#1 Jan 5, 2013
May i ask why you are reaching into the past & bringing this up.
RS Daddy

Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD

#2 Feb 20, 2013
What a d-bag. Why not come to our town now? We have a colerd fella fer a chief-o-poleese. Get over it A--monkey!
Darren

Columbia, MD

#3 Feb 22, 2013
Harve De Grace is the 4 fingered, slow, cross eyed step child of Maryland... No one that is not from there feels pity for the unfortunate looking people who live there
john m

Ruffs Dale, PA

#4 Feb 24, 2013
I don't understand why you would bring this up. I don't know of this going on anymore. Are u prejudice of current rising sun. All this does is stirs the thing u were fighting. Why? Are u a new form of Klan? Please let me know your motives.
Bill

Rising Sun, MD

#5 Feb 24, 2013
Wow - bringing this up now? 1. My wife is Jewish and we have lived here for 15 years. 2. I have never seen the KKK or any related racism in Rising Sun. This is a small community close to Harford County, MD, PA and DE. Much has improved here over the years. Come visit and see for yourself!
rising sun resident

Cherry Hill, NJ

#6 Mar 4, 2013
Bring it back!
Anonymous

Ruffs Dale, PA

#7 Mar 7, 2013
This issue is still around as long as you have parents and grandparents passing down the disfuntion to their children and grandchildren. This type of mindset is still alive and well although the behavior is not so obvious.
RS Daddy

#8 Mar 15, 2013
wecandobetter wrote:
This issue is still around as long as you have parents and grandparents passing down the disfuntion to their children and grandchildren. This type of mindset is still alive and well although the behavior is not so obvious.
Go hug a tree hippie!!
Loving life

Washington, DC

#9 Apr 2, 2013
Bringing up the past makes the offenders very uncomfortable. They want to pretend all the horror that has been committed is forgotten so it doesn't make them feel bad. They sure don't like anyone reminding them of their crazy, psychotic, illogical behavior.
Reality Check

Columbia, MD

#10 Apr 8, 2013
wecandobetter wrote:
You are absolutely correct. So the solution would be getting rid of all of the grandparents? Or perhaps just getting rid of the children?

Idiot.
someone who cares

Allentown, PA

#11 Apr 13, 2013
Reality Check wrote:
<quoted text>
You are absolutely correct. So the solution would be getting rid of all of the grandparents? Or perhaps just getting rid of the children?
Idiot.
No, actually you're the idiot!! People need to stop spreading hate and evil. Stop teaching kids to hate one another because of our differences. You're obviously part of the problem and anyone else on here who agrees with you. All they were suggesting was for people to stop raising kids to hate. I believe the crimes and drugs are from people who are born and raised there. Take a look around you fool!! Now who is the idiot?
Reality Check

Columbia, MD

#12 Apr 13, 2013
someone who cares wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually you're the idiot!! People need to stop spreading hate and evil. Stop teaching kids to hate one another because of our differences. You're obviously part of the problem and anyone else on here who agrees with you. All they were suggesting was for people to stop raising kids to hate. I believe the crimes and drugs are from people who are born and raised there. Take a look around you fool!! Now who is the idiot?
My dearest idiot,

So... your claim is that somewhere in the USA in 2013 their is an institution that actually instructs children in hate others who are different? I don't know about you knucklehead but Im not familiar with any federal institution that have "hatred of those who are different" as a part of its operating procedures. Its apparent to everyone "like me" (what an idiot you are) that that is absolutely ridiculous.

Some people, actually in this case I'm directing this at you pal so take note, are so god-damn stupid that they cant see the truth that is right in front of their eyes. Racial hatred exist simply as a social construction. It has no basis in reality except for those liberals (oh shit I went there!) who insist on making a non-issue into an issue. I really don't give a flying shit about race, or you, or anyone else on this forum regardless of their agreement with me or not. Idiot. I will point out to your dunce-capped pointy headed self though that I am in fact right. that is obvious.

So ha you clown. You asked me who the idiot it? Really? That was stupid. You cant recognize yourself as an idiot. Well I'm not surprised. Turning a blind eye to facts is what liberals are all about!

Thanks idiot. Masalama.
RS Daddy

#13 Apr 18, 2013
someone who cares wrote:
<quoted text>
No, actually you're the idiot!!
RS Daddy

#15 Jun 6, 2013
Loving life wrote:
Bringing up the past makes the offenders very uncomfortable. They want to pretend all the horror that has been committed is forgotten so it doesn't make them feel bad. They sure don't like anyone reminding them of their crazy, psychotic, illogical behavior.
Just stay down there in DC and pretend your life is perfect. Talk about horror try walking the streets at night in your town. And no! The people you call offenders are still good folks.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who's got your vote in the Maryland State Compt... Oct 20 Topix Polls 0
Who's got your vote in the Maryland Attorney Ge... Oct 20 Topix Polls 0
Phony social worker convicted (May '06) Oct 10 zipzip 156
Rape survivor: Facebook panders to gays over re... Oct 10 Reverend Alan 54
Firearm Safety Act - One Year Impact On The Sta... Oct 8 Tory II 1
Enthusiasm low for Maryland's general election Oct 3 NPOSIALPU 1
SOS - PLEASE HELP!! Crowd Funding - 4 - GREECE... Oct 2 XAC 1

Maryland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE