Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Skanner

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Comments
4,181 - 4,200 of 9,656 Comments Last updated Nov 19, 2013

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

snyper wrote:
Apparently you see them as inextricably linked, even though you been told otherwise many times. Are you linked in a similar manner with the behaviors of all hetero denizens of the skidrow sleeze clubs, addicts, child/spouse abusers, date rapists, etc.? Should we ban hetero marriage because of them?
They are only linked by the vagueness of terms like 'unions' and 'relationships'. I don't use anonymous threat as an argument, other than the risks same sex marriage creates for homosexual, for civil suit in divorce court.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

32,732 boring posts.

Give me a break!

“YOU can't AFFORD”

Since: Feb 12

Four more years

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Rose_NoHo wrote:
<quoted text>

Then quit telling people they don't deserve basic, equal human rights.
Everyone already has that.
Fringe groups don't deserve special accomodations for their peculiarities...

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

Since: Mar 11

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

0h-Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but the ONLY folks who have "SPECIAL ACCOMMODATIONS" would be legally married heterosexuals.......why? Because their marriage is recognized in ALL 50 states and the federal government!!!

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

0h-Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Men and women don't have equal rights.

A man can marry a woman, but a woman can't.
A woman can marry a man, but a man can't.
Why are you against equal rights?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

There is no gender equality right in the Constitution.

Hurrah for North Carolina, now 31 states have protected husband/wife marriage with a Constitutional amendment. Those voters will support Romney, who has pledged to support a federal Constitutional marriage ban.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Hurrah for North Carolina, now 31 states have protected husband/wife marriage with a Constitutional amendment. Those voters will support Romney, who has pledged to support a federal Constitutional marriage ban.
Don't worry......even if those voters support Romney......you forget that both the House and Senate MUST approve of this Constitutional Amendment by 2/3 a majority vote for 2 consecutive years before it would be sent to the states for Ratification.....AND that's NOT gonna happen!!!

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Yes there is, 14th Amendment.
Brian_G wrote:
Hurrah for North Carolina, now 31 states have protected husband/wife marriage with a Constitutional amendment.
They've banned divorce?
Brian_G wrote:
Those voters will support Romney, who has pledged to support a federal Constitutional marriage ban.
A marriage ban?
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Let's see how it affects the divorce rate. Protect marriage my ass.

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

0h-Really wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't "special accommodations". Those would be the ones you put into law over the last 20 -30 years. Just like what happened the other day in North Carolina.

If the law already said only men and women can get married to each other why did it need to be changed to say that only men and women could marry only each other?

That is where all of you stumble and fall. You keep claiming gays and lesbians are "re-defining" marriage but it is your side that has done more changing of marriage laws than we did.

Sure you justify it by throwing out the battle cry "activist judges" but that doesn't change the fact that you had to change the laws to support YOUR definition of marriage.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
Using strict interpretation of Amendment 9 and 14 there is "gender equality" in the Constitution.

The terms used are gender neutral: "people" and "citizens".

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

The Constitution recognizes man and woman as unequal, and treats them so. That's why it's been affirmed at the Supreme Court, that only 18 year old males need register for the selective service, and not women.

North Carolina leads the way! The people don't want same sex marriage, they want to protect the definition of marriage we've always had.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Brian_G wrote:
The Constitution recognizes man and woman as unequal, and treats them so. That's why it's been affirmed at the Supreme Court, that only 18 year old males need register for the selective service, and not women.
North Carolina leads the way! The people don't want same sex marriage, they want to protect the definition of marriage we've always had.
40% of NC disagrees with you.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Now Brian is trying to claim there's a draft and that it supports banning SSM?

LMAO!

This boob needs more oxygen to his brain.

“IT'S TIME TO ELIMINATE”

PROP 8 AND DOMA!!!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

Brian_G wrote:
You and those like you may not want Gays and Lesbians to have the right to marry, but IT WILL happen and it will be sooner than you want!!!

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Brian_G wrote:
Women have served in the Military for a long time. Show me the SCOTUS case that banned them from serving.

It must have changed it's mind because the Women's Army Corp and the Women's Naval Corp have been around a long time. Queen Elizabeth served in the military in WW2. And surely you know about Florence Nightingale!

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
You and those like you may not want Gays and Lesbians to have the right to marry, but IT WILL happen and it will be sooner than you want!!!
One of the cable channels I have carries the old George Burns Gracie ALLEN Show.

I'm not sure who's logic and reasoning is harder to follow, Gracie or Brian and Get that Fool!

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

RnL2008 wrote:
<quoted text>
on the bright side of things, now that mr. obama has come out in favor of same sex marriage even if he does somehow get voted out of office you will see it legal on a federal level by the time that he leaves the white house.*lol*

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
on the bright side of things, now that mr. obama has come out in favor of same sex marriage even if he does somehow get voted out of office you will see it legal on a federal level by the time that he leaves the white house.*lol*
I sure hope so but have my doubts too.

I think we need a Supreme Court Ruling that says DOMA violates equal protection and Amendment 9 and therefore invalidates all laws banning SSM.

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2012

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I sure hope so but have my doubts too.
I think we need a Supreme Court Ruling that says DOMA violates equal protection and Amendment 9 and therefore invalidates all laws banning SSM.
it'll happen before the election. cheer up.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Maryland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Big Rail Cites Bin Laden, Al Qaeda to Fight Oil... Aug 22 Ivory Space 1
UM study warns of health impacts from fracking Aug 21 FatLadyMe 1
Rabbis call on President to help free Md. man i... Aug 9 Devin Blades 17
Beretta to move to Tennessee Jul '14 truth-facts 3
WANTED - Classic Skateboard Shoes Jul '14 Gloomie 1
'Would You Rather?' House Race Edition Jul '14 Le Jimbo 2
In Maryland, smoking could cost you job Jul '14 BAN STINKY 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••