Expert: We must act fast on warming

Sep 24, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Kansas.com

Droughts, melting ice caps and glaciers, rising sea levels and mass extinctions will all be a reality unless the U.S. and the world cut back on carbon emissions dramatically, said James Hansen, director of ...

Comments (Page 1,245)

Showing posts 24,881 - 24,900 of26,704
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Happy, warm and comfortable”

Since: Oct 10

Mountain hideaway, SE Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

Bernard Forand wrote:
This is getting tedious. Do try to keep up laddie.
I'm so far ahead that I have no need of politics.
Bernard Forand

Fort Myers, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Dearest Bernie, please get a clue, just in case you haven't noticed, I live in Spain/Espaa, Europe.
We don't have Rupublicans over here.
Mitts is short for mittens in English.
Apart from all that, I've been completely apolitical for the last 24 years, since I retired, so your silly political taunts fall on stony ground.
ֿ
Earthling; Mitts is short for mittens in English.
Apart from all that, I've been completely apolitical for the last 24 years, since I retired, so your silly political taunts fall on stony ground.

24 years and still red! You remind me of blind man I met. During our conversation he was making derogatory remarks against the Afro Americans. I asked him how long have you been blind? All my life. Why? Well you do know that you are an African American. Tears rolled down his eyes as I moved on. Perhaps you are, nah never mind. Hate to see an old man cry.
Mitts is short for mittens. Hmmm so I have been calling our Mitt with his proper name of Mittens. Rather fastidious of me dont you think? Silly me...
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

steenking piddling diddling middling mudling mudslinger dirtling wrote:
...... fall on stony ground.
ֿ
So that's how you explain your slimy steenking filthy vile reprobate rooting(& rotting) racist pukey proud pigisms..... sounds right.
Jack Ruby

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2012

Judged:

Injun brave talk with forked ass. Injun speak heap of utter tripe. Pipe of peace so far up Injun's ass , he blows smoke signals out of backside.

Since: Mar 12

Dubai, UAE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 3, 2012

Judged:

Seems everyone gave up here. Must have got too hot.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

How many moons does Earth have?

Since: Mar 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

By D.R. Tucker on 8/3/2012 4:15pm
Skeptical Believer: Our Interview with the Kochs' Former Global Warming Skeptic, Dr. Richard Muller
The unapologetic physicist takes shots at colleague Michael Mann and Al Gore; offers unsupported assertions about debunked 'Climategate'; calls for conservation and 'clean fracking'; stands by charge that most Global Warming concerns are 'exaggerated'...

Guest blogged by D.R. Tucker

On Wednesday, Progressive Radio Network host/veteran green journalist Betsy Rosenberg and I were honored to interview, the one-time climate change skeptic Dr. Richard Muller, whose Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature (BEST) project --- which was funded in part, ironically enough, by the notorious climate change deniers at the Charles G. Koch Foundation --- recently came to the same conclusion that virtually all climate scientists not affiliated with libertarian think tanks have long since recognized: climate change is "real" and "humans are almost entirely the cause," thanks to the the anthropogenic release of greenhouse gases.
http://www.bradblog.com/...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

DumBozo wrote:
Did you pass the test? Tell the truth.
I think so, see post #25706.
http://www.topix.com/forum/news/global-warmin...

Now tell me how many moons Earth has?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

DumBozo wrote:
By D.R. Tucker on 8/3/2012 4:15pm
Skeptical Believer: Our Interview with the Kochs' Former Global Warming Skeptic, Dr. Richard Muller
Much as you'd like him to have been, Muller was never a GW or CC sceptic.

Global Warming 'Skeptic' Never Really Was
Media's portrayal of scientist's supposed change of heart ignores his previous statements
http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/17...

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>You answered 38 of 50 questions correctly for a total score of 76%.
-
How many moons does Earth have?
The Earth has one formally classified moon called the "Moon". There are other celestial objects that orbit the Earth for a time but they are not permanent residents. Then there is Rev.Sun Myung Moon and various others from the Moon family.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Much as you'd like him to have been, Muller was never a GW or CC sceptic.
Global Warming 'Skeptic' Never Really Was
Media's portrayal of scientist's supposed change of heart ignores his previous statements
http://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/17...
I know it is difficult for you to get around the BEST study, but whether you think that Muller was a skeptic or not old Anthony changed his tune after the study came out.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

It appears that when a study is first published, it is a good or even 'the best' study based on current knowledge and technology.

In subsequent years these studies are considered crude and insufficient in explaining climate cause and effect.

Yet, oddly enough, all the studies come to the same conclusion... life on Earth is at risk from AGW.

LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

Earthling-1 wrote:
<quoted text>Much as you'd like him to have been, Muller was never a GW or CC sceptic.
Baloney. He criticise the methodology of the Mann, et al 'hockey stick' and then went on to criticise the 'station selection' and analysis of AGW. He BECAME a skeptic from an early position backing the 'consensus'.

He has now had time to investigate those areas he was skeptical about and apply his own methodology (getting the same results) so he has now been converted to AGW theory due to his INCREASED KNOWLEDGE.

It is fairly clear that denial and skepticism is in direct proportion to ignorance of the subject.
dont drink the koolaid

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

It appears that station selections were made up.
see: HARRY_README. IN:
FOI2009.ZIP

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

'There's plenty of room for scepticism' climate study author Richard Muller
"Yet the story in the press - describing a 'sceptic's' Damascene conversion - doesn't seem to make sense. In fact, in his 2009 book Physics for Future Presidents, Muller doesn't question the fundamentals of climate science, or indeed that humans are contributing to the greenhouse effect.
Asked if it's really accurate to say he was ever a sceptic, Muller replies: "I have considered myself only to be a properly sceptical scientist. Some people have called me a denier - no, that's completely wrong. If anything, I was agnostic.

"I just hope that some people like you will read my books and papers, and read what I say - not what people say I say."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/blog/20...
litesong

Everett, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

dont drink the koolaid wrote:
.... oddly enough, all the studies come to the same conclusion... life on Earth is at risk from AGW.
It is odd but understandable that topix AGW deniers, who have no background in science or mathematics & with 10-16 years less training than AGW scientists, use their egotism to voice truly unscientific critiques about people to which they have no abilities to match.
PHD

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2012

Judged:

litesong wrote:
<quoted text>
It is odd but understandable that topix AGW deniers, who have no background in science or mathematics & with 10-16 years less training than AGW scientists, use their egotism to voice truly unscientific critiques about people to which they have no abilities to match.
Wow sounds like the dirtling and the less than a box of rocks.
Greg

Barrie, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

I live near Barrie Ontario. 10,000 years ago where I am sitting there was 1 km of ice. From my perspective global warming started then. Must have taken a lot of heat to melt all of that ice that covered all of Canada and part of the US. So yes global warming is real and I suspect this will continue until most of the polar caps are melted before we see a reverse trend. This has happened many times before the only real question is are we speeding up the trend in the last 75 years. I think we should just focus our efforts on pollution control and if the side benefit is the slowing down of this warming trend great. The polar caps have melted before and will agains.

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

Greg wrote:
I live near Barrie Ontario. 10,000 years ago where I am sitting there was 1 km of ice. From my perspective global warming started then. Must have taken a lot of heat to melt all of that ice that covered all of Canada and part of the US. So yes global warming is real and I suspect this will continue until most of the polar caps are melted before we see a reverse trend. This has happened many times before the only real question is are we speeding up the trend in the last 75 years. I think we should just focus our efforts on pollution control and if the side benefit is the slowing down of this warming trend great. The polar caps have melted before and will agains.
The rapid influx of water from Lake Agassiz into the ocean shutting down the conveyor belt circulation of the Gulf Stream was the cause of the very rapid cooling. That in no way refutes AGW.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/03/31/us-...
LessHypeMoreFact

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 5, 2012

Judged:

Greg wrote:
I live near Barrie Ontario.
10,000 years ago where I am sitting there was 1 km of ice.
Admittedly you don't say you are sitting near Barrie. And somewhere there was 1km of ice left.

http://www.zonu.com/detail-en/2010-01-05-1163...

Not in Barrie though.
Greg wrote:
From my perspective global warming started then.
If you are limiting it to ice age recovery, certainly but we exited the ice age about 12,000 to 8,000 years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Holocene_Te...

Global warming (as opposed to ice age recovery) started at most 250 years ago. Proper terminology is vital to understanding what is meant by science.
Greg wrote:
Must have taken a lot of heat to melt all of that ice that covered all of Canada and part of the US.
Yes. Yes it did. The primary change was in insolation (angle of sun vs intensity) also called 'milankovitch cycles) which made a SMALL change in total thermal influx. The majority of the warming was accomplished by positive feedbacks ( lower albedo from less snow, and return of sequestered GHGs from deep ocean currents. The GHGs retained more of the solar influx.
Greg wrote:
So yes global warming is real and I suspect this will continue until most of the polar caps are melted before we see a reverse trend.
I would agree that much of Greenland and the arctic ice sheets would have melted as they did in the previous 'long interglacial' but the stabilty of the Antarctic ice sheet may be very much dependent on how far we go in AGW.
Greg wrote:
This has happened many times before the only real question is are we speeding up the trend in the last 75 years. I think we should just focus our efforts on pollution control and if the side benefit is the slowing down of this warming trend great. The polar caps have melted before and will agains.
Particularly about 53 mya when the PETM had CO2 levels about where we expect to be by 2050 to 2100 (about 560 ppm). Can we stop it? Depends on educating people like you and getting the political will to adapt to a lower energy, cleaner and more efficient economy. NO reason that this has to be a problem other than ignorance and denial. But those are serious problems even today with all the advantages of education and communications.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 24,881 - 24,900 of26,704
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

7 Users are viewing the Kansas Forum right now

Search the Kansas Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Obama marks Holy Week, reflects on Kansas shooting 14 hr Liberals R Defective 4
Kansas Right to Bear Arms Question, Constitutio... (Oct '10) 18 hr jeffry helms 5,739
Shooting In Kansas Jewish Community Center And ... Apr 13 Jeff Brightone 1
Kansas: Kris Kobach's 2-Tiered Voting Plan Back... Apr 10 Dale Swenson 1
Psych professor turned Oskaloosa into laborator... Apr 9 Elise Gingrich 2
County Commissioner Wants Sales Tax Vote (Jul '08) Mar 26 Alvera 2
The long lobby: Gay rights group asserts itself Mar 23 snyper 11
•••
•••
•••
•••