Colin Powell to Romney on Foreign Policy: 'Come on, Mitt, Think'

May 23, 2012 | Posted by: Mr_Bill | Full story: www.theatlantic.com

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell had some tough words for Mitt Romney's foreign-policy positions on Wednesday, saying that calling Russia the U.S.'s the No.1 enemy.

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell had some tough words for Mitt Romney's foreign-policy positions on Wednesday, saying that calling Russia the U.S.'s the No. 1 geopolitical foe was wrong.

"Come on, Mitt, think," he said on MSNBC's Morning Joe. "That isn't the case." He continued saying that the foreign affairs community has been taken aback by some of the presumptive Republican nominee's positions.

Comments
1 - 20 of 71 Comments Last updated May 12, 2014
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#1 May 23, 2012
Mitt Romney should consult Sarah Palin on foreign policy.
Lance Winslow

San Jose, CA

#2 May 23, 2012
Give him a break. He's new at this. All he's done so far in the international arena is ship jobs overseas.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#3 May 23, 2012
Lance Winslow wrote:
Give him a break. He's new at this. All he's done so far in the international arena is ship jobs overseas.
As well as money.

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#4 May 23, 2012
powell is a smart dude, no wonder he hasn't run for president.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#5 May 23, 2012
anneutral wrote:
powell is a smart dude, no wonder he hasn't run for president.
General Powell, like Admiral Dewey, is superior at following orders. Hisrise would only illustrate the Peter Principle.

But, Powell let the GW Bushites make a simpering fool of him by putting lies in his mouth at the UN claiming Iraq had nuclear and mass destruction capabilities.

One fooled and jerked about by the former Marxist lying-neo-conservatives is too guiless to be president.
Laughing Bear Fan

Littleton, CO

#6 May 23, 2012
He was obviously plagarizing one of his dead father's stump speeches. Go figure!
CHECK SIX

North Port, FL

#7 May 23, 2012
I Like Colin Powell..Really a Patriot....But General..What were you thinking when you introduced evidence of Saddam's Chemical Warfare equipment...which was a Beat up old Truck...At the UN,making the case for WMD.....Effectively I may add... He Convenienced all..The Whole World!!......What were you thinking!HELLO??? THINKING???

So it seems,with all due respect to predict what a Romney will do.?..Lets all THINK here!
Robert

Hollywood, FL

#8 May 23, 2012
All you republicans remember that you had a chance, Romney will continue with policies like GW Bush.

You could have put up Ron Paul, he would have you thinking about bringing our troops home.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#9 May 23, 2012
CHECK SIX wrote:
I Like Colin Powell..Really a Patriot....But General..What were you thinking when you introduced evidence of Saddam's Chemical Warfare equipment...which was a Beat up old Truck...At the UN,making the case for WMD.....Effectively I may add... He Convenienced all..The Whole World!!......What were you thinking!HELLO??? THINKING???
So it seems,with all due respect to predict what a Romney will do.?..Lets all THINK here!
That would include you, sixpack, if only you had the intellectual wherewithall.

“Happiness comes through giving”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#10 May 23, 2012
Robert wrote:
All you republicans remember that you had a chance, Romney will continue with policies like GW Bush.
You could have put up Ron Paul, he would have you thinking about bringing our troops home.
Romney cannot continue the Bush policies as an also-ran, which you may be assured he will be.

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#11 May 23, 2012
Robert wrote:
All you republicans remember that you had a chance, Romney will continue with policies like GW Bush.
You could have put up Ron Paul, he would have you thinking about bringing our troops home.
And the Taliban at our airports.
UIdiotRacesMAkeW orldPeace

United States

#12 May 23, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
And the Taliban at our airports.
Billr

many decades of US intervenionist/Expansionist/Mi litarist/imperialist, the Oil/USD Hegemony and bad/illegitimate foreign policy are cause of all these growth of world enemy(s), and this is ruining our civil liberties...
star

Charlottesville, VA

#13 May 23, 2012
ColIn still being paid to vote black for black, what a traitor

I GOT SOME TUFF WORDS FOR COLIN, OSAMA BIN DEAD FOR ABOUT A DECADE NOW AND YOU KNOW IT. SO MY QUESTION IS WHO IS YOUR MASTER YOU SERVE?

“It's a Brand New Day”

Since: Feb 06

New Rochelle

#14 May 23, 2012
UIdiotRacesMAkeWorldPeace wrote:
<quoted text>Billr
many decades of US intervenionist/Expansionist/Mi litarist/imperialist, the Oil/USD Hegemony and bad/illegitimate foreign policy are cause of all these growth of world enemy(s), and this is ruining our civil liberties...
Not only US; but western civilization in general.

But, we are in the here and now, and must not cry over spilt milk, but must make use of it as best we can.

The danger of internationalism is that you cannot control events.
The danger of isolationism is that you cannot ever anticipate events.

Mrs. Clinton has danced a masterful dance of international relations; and I am impressed, truly impressed.
UIdiotRacesMAkeW orldPeace

United States

#15 May 23, 2012
Mr_Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only US; but western civilization in general.
But, we are in the here and now, and must not cry over spilt milk, but must make use of it as best we can.
The danger of internationalism is that you cannot control events.
The danger of isolationism is that you cannot ever anticipate events.
Mrs. Clinton has danced a masterful dance of international relations; and I am impressed, truly impressed.
True but US is still No. 1 bullying Superpower in the world, controls world affairs in so many countries , and with biggest navy and with approx 900 plus US overseas military bases spanning the 7 seas.

Danger of too of anything will comeback to bit us all.

BWhahhahhahaaaaaaaa You kidding ! Why are you so impressed Mrs Clintons' masterful dance ?
UIdiotRacesMAkeW orldPeace

United States

#16 May 23, 2012
S/h/b That is danger of too much off anything will have future concurrent consequences whether real or imaginary...

“your life is great”

Since: Aug 09

you poop in clean water

#17 May 23, 2012
"Powell made a clear emphasis on education and building infrastructure for the future of the U.S. He has not said whether he would support the president for a second term."

he's right about the need for emphasis on education and infrastructure.

“i hope we can change this!”

Since: Aug 08

usa

#18 May 23, 2012
as opposed to obama's foreign policy?

come on colin, think!

you bolted from a bad administration and embraced a worse administration...
your take on anything has larry wolf-like creds!

but all that matters is, the msm can use you.
and, they do.
yuk yuk

United States

#19 May 23, 2012
He's the guy who said Iraq had WMD's...cmon Colin you Rino....Think!
yuk yuk

United States

#20 May 23, 2012
He only voted for Obama because he's a brotha. Cmon colin....think!

You vote for the best man not the color of his skin

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Illinois Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 16 min observer 49,494
Senate rejects proposal banning lobbyist gifts (Mar '06) 19 hr Swedenforever 8
AP Exclusive: Union members appointed after $10... (Mar '08) Aug 30 Union Corrupt 7,561
Quinn vetoes tollway speed limit hike, Oberweis... Aug 29 Steve Doner 1
Congressman: Get Ready for Immigration Move Fro... Aug 27 Shinichiro Takizawa 37
Ole Miss frat suspended, noose suspects kicked out (Feb '14) Aug 26 swedenforever 15
Colin Powell Endorses Obama (Oct '08) Aug 26 swedenforever 872
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Illinois Government People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••