Idaho woman's case marks a key abortion challenge

Jun 17, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Los Angeles Times

POCATELLO, Idaho - When Pocatello police got a tip that Jennie Linn McCormack had ended her pregnancy by taking an abortion drug obtained over the Internet, they showed up at her apartment one cold January day in 2011 and demanded an explanation.

Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Jun 22, 2012

“Reality is better than truth.”

Since: Nov 09

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

It's fascinating. They are literally forbidding american citizens from performing their own medical procedures or getting help from out of state doctors.

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

So let me get this straight:

"In December 2010, McCormack, a 33-year-old single mother of three, found herself pregnant again. Unemployed and living off $250 a month in child support, she saw the idea of adding to her brood as unthinkable."

You have one dingbat who seeps around even though she can't afford the children that she already has.

"A little more than 18 months earlier, she'd had an abortion that cost $450;"

She's already aborted at least one.

"That's when her sister in Mississippi ordered abortion pills from a website, which offers a perfunctory consultation with a physician, and sent them to her,"

The second dingbat illegally gets prescription medication. The first dingbat takes prescription medication that wasn't prescribed for her.

"McCormack eventually took them out to her back porch, where the remains of her fetus were on the barbecue, wrapped up in a plastic bag and a cardboard box."

Then she puts the body on the babacue.

"she aborted a fetus at home at close to 20 weeks."
"She believed she was only about 14 weeks pregnant."

She wasn't smart enough to know how pregnant she was at the time she aborted.

"McCormack said the case had turned her into a pariah in Pocatello. She had to quit her job at a dry cleaner's after too many clients said they didn't want her handling their clothes.

"My neighbors gave me nasty looks when I'd go out in public. They'd get all whispery:'That's her,'" she said. "My kids, they have friends that say stuff to them, and my older two, I feel that they're a little bit ashamed. And that's hard."

And now she has the audacity to expect sympathy????? Really????
Compassionvoid

New Orleans, LA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Susanm wrote:
"In December 2010, McCormack, a 33-year-old single mother of three, found herself pregnant again. Unemployed and living off $250 a month in child support, she saw the idea of adding to her brood as unthinkable."
You have one dingbat who seeps around even though she can't afford the children that she already has.
"That's when her sister in Mississippi ordered abortion pills from a website, which offers a perfunctory consultation with a physician, and sent them to her,"
The second dingbat illegally gets prescription medication. The first dingbat takes prescription medication that wasn't prescribed for her.
"McCormack eventually took them out to her back porch, where the remains of her fetus were on the barbecue, wrapped up in a plastic bag and a cardboard box."
"McCormack said the case had turned her into a pariah in Pocatello. She had to quit her job at a dry cleaner's after too many clients said they didn't want her handling their clothes.
"My neighbors gave me nasty looks when I'd go out in public. They'd get all whispery:'That's her,'" she said. "My kids, they have friends that say stuff to them, and my older two, I feel that they're a little bit ashamed. And that's hard."
You can't be a christian, aren't those things supposed to have compassion? You certainly have none in your heart for a single mother struggling. Also, society tells us that women are worthless without a man, men expect sex, perhaps she was trying to trade sex for companionship/support? Where was your help before she had to seek out an abortion? Judgmental hypocrites all around.

“Women are people, not objects.”

Since: Sep 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Susanm wrote:
You have one dingbat who seeps around even though she can't afford the children that she already has....
Wow, you're a real bitch. I'm not really surprised to see a prolifer revile a woman for aborting, while at the same time reviling her for choosing to give birth in the past and keep her offspring.

You don't want women to have kids they can't afford, but you don't want them to have the legal option to abort unwanted or dangerous pregnancies. What option does that leave them with?

Ahh, of course...relinquishment. You want these desperate women to be forced by the state to gestate and relinquish to "proper" christian households.

Further proof that the "prolife" stance is less about "protecting life" and more about enlsaving and violating women.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Compassionvoid wrote:
<quoted text> You can't be a christian, aren't those things supposed to have compassion? You certainly have none in your heart for a single mother struggling. Also, society tells us that women are worthless without a man, men expect sex, perhaps she was trying to trade sex for companionship/support? Where was your help before she had to seek out an abortion? Judgmental hypocrites all around.
The article says nothing about her looking for help.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Leonine wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you're a real bitch. I'm not really surprised to see a prolifer revile a woman for aborting, while at the same time reviling her for choosing to give birth in the past and keep her offspring.
You don't want women to have kids they can't afford, but you don't want them to have the legal option to abort unwanted or dangerous pregnancies. What option does that leave them with?
Ahh, of course...relinquishment. You want these desperate women to be forced by the state to gestate and relinquish to "proper" christian households.
Further proof that the "prolife" stance is less about "protecting life" and more about enlsaving and violating women.
The issue here is about two women breaking the law. One illegally obtaining dugs, and the other taking illegally obtained drugs and then hiding a dead body. If they would have done an autopsy, and found that the child took a breath, they should have been charged with murder.
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

The surviving children should be taken from her because of the incredible callousness of placing the dead baby on a barbecue. It shows a serial killer's lack of any social conscience, a common attribute of all the two-faced killers walking on the streets these days.

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

She hasn't asked for sympathy. All she evidently wants is for people to mind their own goddamned business. But as we all know, that's practically impossible for the self-righteous and ignorant.
Susanm wrote:

Indianapolis

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

At 20 weeks, it could not have taken a breath.

If her sister in another state got drugs over the internet, they may or may not be illegal; depends on local and federal laws.

Hiding a dead body as a charge is rarely applied to fetuses
Susanm wrote:
<quoted text>
The issue here is about two women breaking the law. One illegally obtaining dugs, and the other taking illegally obtained drugs and then hiding a dead body. If they would have done an autopsy, and found that the child took a breath, they should have been charged with murder.

“lightly burnt,but still smokin”

Since: Dec 06

in the corner of your mind,

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

"cpeter1313"
She hasn't asked for sympathy. All she evidently wants is for people to mind their own goddamned business. But as we all know, that's practically impossible for the self-righteous and ignorant

thats no lie,
Bringmedinner

San Jose, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2012

Judged:

Who ever gave these callous killers the idea that life should be easy? The conversations she had to have with the living children about the baby on the barbecue will haunt them 'til the day they die. Thanks, mom!
i am Jesus

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2012

Susanm wrote:

My holy book demands you forgive her woman, now do it or I'll send you to Hell
England 2012

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 22, 2012

If the state can execute people why can't this lady bin her foetus? If she'd given the Foetus a lethal injection then all' well

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Idaho Discussions

Search the Idaho Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Idaho 'Add the 4 Words' activists are sentenced Wed Zeke 36
Are Californians The Root Of Idaho's Evils? (May '06) Jul 29 Zeke 3,104
Statewide Add the Words Candlelight Vigils Plan... Jul 7 Zeke 17
Messiah Yeshua needs to be revealed to His Jewi... Jun '14 Donna Lee 1
potatos Jun '14 Maters an korn 1
Soldier held in Afghanistan is 23-year-old Idahoan (Jul '09) Jun '14 Bergdahl is a Deserter 8
Soldier held in Afghanistan is 23-year-old Idahoan (Jul '09) Jun '14 I Speak For All 9
•••
•••