Unemployment benefits in Florida: Questions and answers

With Florida's jobless rate topping 8 percent, workers who are unemployed or on the verge of losing their jobs have many questions about applying for unemployment benefits. Full Story
Fred

Gainesville, FL

#294 Dec 8, 2009
Joe T--Yes, you will get the 2nd tier.
Terminated-30

Silver Springs, FL

#295 Dec 8, 2009
ok so here is what I do not get.. I was fired by my job in june of this year for being absent with a note from a doctor but they put it as unexcused so they fired me, I applied for unemployment and got approved. my job then appealed it and a telephone hearing was set up and I recieved the call and was told my employer never gave them any info to contact them so it was dismissed.. Then my employer appealed that and now unemployment is giving them another opportunity for a new phone hearing. however i have been working at a new job since the 2nd week of october and now i am getting this appeal info once again and its almost mid december.. I am so fed up. does anyone have any advice for me?? I could use some right about now
qwerty

Titusville, FL

#296 Dec 8, 2009
Personally, I would check to see if you dont continue the appeal if they can attempt to recoup thier $ from you. If you havent been paid for all your weeks I would want to ensure I got it as they have to pay you through your claim dates until you stopped claiming. I recieved mine in Florida based on I resigned for medical reasons. They let me go 2 weeks before my resignation would have been effective because they hired my replacement to start. I filed. I won :)
jenn

Lakeland, FL

#297 Jan 10, 2010
If you don't know all the answers to the unemployment application is it ok to estimate how much money you made at your last job? I don't know how much I made the 3 months I was at my last job and I cant find my pay stubs. Can I just guess the amount and put it on the app? or will unemployment say I have to put the exact amount?
tbc11

Pottstown, PA

#298 Jan 10, 2010
JULIO wrote:
My brother need monies but they say no because he does not have social secruity numbers. This is a way the the US discrimnate against immigrants! He paid the tax but because he not citizen he get no help. This racist don't you see?
No I don't see. How did your brother pay this supposed tax without a social security number, he should not even have a job. I think you should go home and create a life and country worth living in, that would be much more honorable then expecting to run to whatever country will let you slip in and crying for what they worked to create. Build your own country up and stop begging or better wording would be stealing from us. If you really want to be an American, show it by first following the law.
more problems

Tampa, FL

#299 Jan 11, 2010
unemployment in Fl. is not enough for rent food and fuel for heat.
SGB

Naples, FL

#300 Jan 12, 2010
I am so lost. I have been trying to call the 800 number to speak with someone and it says they are experiencing a high volume of calls please call later. Then it hangs up on me! My benefits will be over soon and all I want to know is how I go about getting an extension. I also wanted to ask if they will send me a letter in the mail for my income taxes. I only have two quick questions and they hang up on me. They didn't even put me on hold. This is so frustrating!
justsoyouknow

Tampa, FL

#301 Jan 12, 2010
SGB wrote:
I am so lost. I have been trying to call the 800 number to speak with someone and it says they are experiencing a high volume of calls please call later. Then it hangs up on me! My benefits will be over soon and all I want to know is how I go about getting an extension. I also wanted to ask if they will send me a letter in the mail for my income taxes. I only have two quick questions and they hang up on me. They didn't even put me on hold. This is so frustrating!
you don't matter to government.
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#302 Jan 18, 2010
SGB wrote:
I am so lost. I have been trying to call the 800 number to speak with someone and it says they are experiencing a high volume of calls please call later. Then it hangs up on me! My benefits will be over soon and all I want to know is how I go about getting an extension. I also wanted to ask if they will send me a letter in the mail for my income taxes. I only have two quick questions and they hang up on me. They didn't even put me on hold. This is so frustrating!
Call on a Thursday and Friday. Keep redialing, it will go through. Yes, it is very frustrating, it all is.
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#303 Jan 18, 2010
Terminated-30 wrote:
ok so here is what I do not get.. I was fired by my job in june of this year for being absent with a note from a doctor but they put it as unexcused so they fired me, I applied for unemployment and got approved. my job then appealed it and a telephone hearing was set up and I recieved the call and was told my employer never gave them any info to contact them so it was dismissed.. Then my employer appealed that and now unemployment is giving them another opportunity for a new phone hearing. however i have been working at a new job since the 2nd week of october and now i am getting this appeal info once again and its almost mid december.. I am so fed up. does anyone have any advice for me?? I could use some right about now
Don't give up. Do the hearing; otherwise they will win and unemployment will DEMAND their money back. You have a good case, that happened to me once and I won.
Joe T

Pensacola, FL

#304 Jan 18, 2010
My second extension ran out today Jan 18 2010. Will I get another. Florida unemployment
Curious

United States

#305 Jan 18, 2010
Can a person who bad-mouths his employer to other employees and makes mistakes on alarm installations be fired and not be able to collect unemployment?
mtsterling ky

Jackson, KY

#306 Jan 18, 2010
unemployment is just another word for lazy ass.I really dont understand why people want to sit back on their assess and draw their future retirement plan,and their 401k.unemployment is just a easy way out,but people need to be thinking about their future as hard as it is now it is not going to get any easier,in the future.
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#307 Jan 19, 2010
Curious wrote:
Can a person who bad-mouths his employer to other employees and makes mistakes on alarm installations be fired and not be able to collect unemployment?
Yes, if it is proven that you had a bad attitude.
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#308 Jan 19, 2010
mtsterling ky wrote:
unemployment is just another word for lazy ass.I really dont understand why people want to sit back on their assess and draw their future retirement plan,and their 401k.unemployment is just a easy way out,but people need to be thinking about their future as hard as it is now it is not going to get any easier,in the future.
Oh--do you have a job for all these unemployed people??????? Put your money where your mouth is; give all the unemployed jobs.
Heidi

AOL

#309 Jan 21, 2010
I have just been red flagged by unemployment because I am attending college. They said that an ajudicator would have to review my case to be sure that while I am attending college that I am still capable of working or searching for work. Obama said go to college. Yeah,so you could lose your benefits. I told them that the university I am attending offers only one course at a time online so fulfilling my unemployment requirements would not be a problem but now I may have to wait 4-6 weeks to be evaluated. How do I survive without any money at all while they review this? I can't believe I am being punished for trying to improve my life and in the next 2 years with my degree I would become a tax payer with a higher tax bracket. You would think the state of Florida would want to enforce education not punish you for it.
southpole

Agawam, MA

#310 Jan 31, 2010
I am moving to florida.

I exhausted my first batch and am on the second-(tier 1?) for 20 weeks I get $392 a week before taxes. The same as my original regular rate.(I think) I am moving from MASS. How does that effect unemployement extended benefits? Will I still be able to get it though I have exhaused my regular claim? Also do they have medical for those on unemployment in Florida. Just me and the hubby here. No kids but I do get the dependent allowance ($25 per child) since I pay childsupport.

Any info is helpful. I need to know what we are working with (moneywise) once we get there and whether or not we could be eligible for medicaid or food stamps temporarily if needed since we are eligible here. Any info would be appreciated.
Sheila

Gainesville, FL

#311 Feb 1, 2010
southpole wrote:
I am moving to florida.
I exhausted my first batch and am on the second-(tier 1?) for 20 weeks I get $392 a week before taxes. The same as my original regular rate.(I think) I am moving from MASS. How does that effect unemployement extended benefits? Will I still be able to get it though I have exhaused my regular claim? Also do they have medical for those on unemployment in Florida. Just me and the hubby here. No kids but I do get the dependent allowance ($25 per child) since I pay childsupport.
Any info is helpful. I need to know what we are working with (moneywise) once we get there and whether or not we could be eligible for medicaid or food stamps temporarily if needed since we are eligible here. Any info would be appreciated.
OMG--Don't move to FL. Florida does not have any benefits for adults. Don't do it!!!!!!! You WILL not get any assistance, they consider unemployment a yearly and full time job!!!!! ADULTS DO NOT GET ASSISTANCE IN FL.....It is one of the worst states to be poor in. Don't come here, you will regret it.
stuck in the line

Tampa, FL

#312 Feb 4, 2010
southpole wrote:
I am moving to florida.
I exhausted my first batch and am on the second-(tier 1?) for 20 weeks I get $392 a week before taxes. The same as my original regular rate.(I think) I am moving from MASS. How does that effect unemployement extended benefits? Will I still be able to get it though I have exhaused my regular claim? Also do they have medical for those on unemployment in Florida. Just me and the hubby here. No kids but I do get the dependent allowance ($25 per child) since I pay childsupport.
Any info is helpful. I need to know what we are working with (moneywise) once we get there and whether or not we could be eligible for medicaid or food stamps temporarily if needed since we are eligible here. Any info would be appreciated.
I think the max. in Fl. is $277. per wk.

but, anyway you'll have to get in line behind the Haitians...when they get taken care of then the government will see if theres a couple of bucks left over for america's unemployed.
JLB

Cantonment, FL

#313 Feb 8, 2010
You just have to keep calling them, THEY WILL NOT CALL YOU. There are record numbers of cases going through right now so they really are slammed. I've found a couple of times that I've checked the wrong box when claiming weeks and had to call and straighten it out. If your weeks don't process the very next business day call them, there is a mistake. I claim on Tuesdays and by Thursday I have the money in my bank account. Also if you claim early in the morning, before noon, it usually processes the same day.
paul wrote:
ok i filed for unemployment 4/5/09 after being fired for no reason at my job.. the first time they let me claim was 4/20/09. on that day it showed me my balance, and what i'd be recieving every week. ok well 4/20/09 has come and gone i claimed both weeks and its now today and i have not recieved any payments. i am signed up for direct deposit. i call the help line and can never get through.. EVER! its such a freaking joke. seriously. high volume of calls.? every hour? even 30 seconds after they open at 9am. its reallya joke. but besides that. i hav not recieved payment why? can anyone tell me? its been 7 days and 5/04/09 is my next time to claim.. why does this take so long. and i hav no other information. i go to the get information, says i still have same balance, and no checks have been issued.. someone plz help!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Florida Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gov. Scott Signs Bill To Grant In-State Tuition... 59 min spud 77
Expanded health coverage merits push from leaders 5 hr MARGE 1
Ku Klux Klan is still alive and well in Florida (Aug '08) 6 hr Klaus Barbie 354
Editorial: Too many in Florida struggling 14 hr yep at u two 3
After Trayvon Martin, Chilling Ad Offers Bullet... 14 hr yep at u two 4
Is Florida the most racist anti-white place in ... (Apr '10) 18 hr Elaine 77
Cuba stalemate makes identifying rafters difficult Tue castroHitlerAsesino 3

Florida People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE