Killing the Poor Instead of Taxing the Wealthy in Arizona

Nov 17, 2010 Full story: www.truth-out.org 148
Facing a projected $1.5 billion budget deficit, the state of Arizona has decided to make poor people pay with their lives instead of making rich people pay with their treasure.

The right wing is full of lies and excuses about the economic "logic" of cutting government programs. But what they will not tell you is that some of these programs are literally the only hope for people at the bottom of the economy. By standing in the way of economic justice, conservative politicians make their fantasies of brutal "health care rationing" and "death panels" into reality. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#3 Nov 17, 2010
"economic justice" ROLF! iria is such a putz.

People are responsible for themselves. If they want to stay unemployed and poor, so be it but everyone else is under NO OBLIGATION to Fund & reward their sloth.
Peralta de Peralta

Fort Huachuca, AZ

#6 Nov 17, 2010
As far as I can tell, truth-out has been very good at blinding itself to reality.

Reality #1 - Illegal aliens have jobs in the U.S.
Reality #2 - If those illegal aliens were deported, then those jobs would come open
Reality #3 - If any American citizen believes themselves to good to do a job formerly held by an illegal alien, then they deserve to starve.

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#7 Nov 17, 2010
Michelle Obama: Hypocrite Material Girl

Yesterday New York Daily News columnist and blogger Andrea Tantaros likened the President’s wife to French queen Marie Antoinette, who was famously extravagant with her spending.

Tantaros wrote:‘To be clear, what the Obamas do with their money is one thing; what they do with ours is another. Transporting and housing the estimated 70 Secret Service agents who will flank the material girl will cost the taxpayers a pretty penny.’

She accused the Obamas of hypocrisy for preaching the values of sacrifice and austerity to Americans while seemingly refusing to heed their own advice.

She said:‘Instead, Michelle Obama seems more like a modern-day Marie Antoinette… than an average mother of two.’

‘It's the extravagance of Michelle Obama's trip and glitzy destination contrasted with President Obama's demonisation of the rich that smacks of hypocrisy and perpetuates a disconnect between the country and its leaders'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/art...

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#8 Nov 17, 2010
The Cost Burden of Material Girl Michelle's many Vacations to US Tax Payers

Spanish police close public beach for Michelle Obama's £250,000 Spanish holiday

By Mail Foreign Service
6th August 2010

Whether or not the taxpaying American will be paying for Entourage Obama meals is debatable but they will definitely be footing the bill for the First Lady's 68-strong security detail, her personal staff - and the use of presidential jet Air Force Two.

The per diems for the secret service team runs at around £172 each, which amounts to nearly £60,000 for the length of the summer break.

Use of Air Force Two, the Air Force version of a 757, comes in at £91,900 for the round trip. This does not include time on the ground.

Mrs Obama's personal staff, of which there are an unknown amount and who might cost considerably more per day, also have to be taken into account.

The American public will also cover the cost of the only official part of the holiday, a visit to the Spanish royal family on the island of Majorca.

This will involve transport there and back for the entourage - as well as travel, accommodation, food and expenses for all while on the island.

Conservative estimates already put the total cost at £150,000. With Majorca to come, the bill will be more like £250,000.

Back in the U.S., anger was mounting - especially as it has emerged the First Lady will have enjoyed eight holidays by the end of the summer.

These include a trip to Los Angeles in June, a visit to the Florida's oil-hit Gulf Coast next weekend and a ten-day trip to Martha's Vineyard later this month.

White House press secretary Robin Gibbs was asked at a briefing if there were any concerns about how the visit was being viewed by the public.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/art...

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#9 Nov 17, 2010
Income falls 3.2% during Obama's term

By Joseph Curl

Real personal income for Americans - excluding government payouts such as Social Security - has fallen by 3.2 percent since President Obama took office in January 2009, according to the Commerce Department's Bureau of Economic Analysis.

For comparison, real personal income during the first 15 months in office for President George W. Bush, who inherited a milder recession from his predecessor, dropped 0.4 percent. Income excluding government payouts increased 12.7 percent during Mr. Bush's eight years in office.

"This is hardly surprising," said Douglas Holtz-Eakin, an economist and former director of the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office. "Under President Obama, only federal spending is going up; jobs, business startups, and incomes are all down. It is proof that the government can't spend its way to prosperity."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/apr/...

Maggot Obama strikes again!

“Truth to Power!”

Since: Apr 07

Wake Forest, NC

#10 Nov 17, 2010
The Woman Greenspan, Dems Rubin & Summers Silenced on Derivatives
posted by Katrina vanden Heuvel on 10/09/2008

In 1997, Brooksley Born warned in congressional testimony that unregulated trading in derivatives could "threaten our regulated markets or, indeed, our economy without any federal agency knowing about it." Born called for greater transparency--disclosure of trades and reserves as a buffer against losses.

Instead of heeding this oracle's warnings, Greenspan, Rubin & Summers rushed to silence her. As the Times story reveals, Born's wise warnings "incited fierce opposition" from Greenspan and Rubin who "concluded that merely discussing new rules threatened the derivatives market." Greenspan deployed condescension and told Born she didn't know what she doing and she'd cause a financial crisis.(A senior Commission director who worked with Born suggests that Greenspan and the guys didn't like her independence. " Brooksley was this woman who was not playing tennis with these guys and not having lunch with these guys. There was a little bit of the feeling that this woman was not of Wall Street.")

In early 1998, according to the Times story, one of the guys, Larry Summers, called Born to "chastise her for taking steps he said would lead to a financial crisis. But Born kept at it, unwilling to let arrogant men undermine her good judgment. But it got tougher out there. In June 1998, Greenspan, Rubin and the then head of the SEC, Arthur Levitt, Jr., called on Congress "to prevent Ms. Born from acting until more senior regulators developed their own recommendations." (Levitt now says he regrets that decision.) Months later, the huge hedge fund Long Term Capital Management nearly collapsed--confirming some of Born's warnings.(Bets on derivatives were a key reason.)

"Despite that event," the Times reports, " Congress (apparently as a result of Greenspan & Summer's urging, influence-peddling and pressure) "froze" Born's Commissions' regulatory authority. The next year, Born left as head of the Commission.Born did not talk to the Times for their article.

What emerges is a story of reckless, willful and arrogant action and behaviour designed to undermine a wise woman's good judgment.

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/edcut/370925/t...
AmberDru

Columbus, OH

#11 Nov 17, 2010
If you happen to be sick and poor and are among the 98 people in Arizona who are awaiting state-funded organ transplants, you've just been handed a death sentence........

If the system was not over run by illegals there would be more to go around. Nothing is free.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/ar...

Illegal Immigrant's Heart Transplant is Covered. Her Rent is Not.
By Shefali Kulkarni, Tue., Aug. 31 2010 @ 12:17PM

In June, the Voice wrote about Julia Amparo-Alvarado, a 42-year-old illegal immigrant from Guatemala who faced death without a heart transplant. The mother of two was navigating a complex path of gaining insurance coverage despite her immigration status.

Three weeks ago, Julia managed to get fully covered through Medicaid for a heart transplant. Her insurance will cover the surgery, physical therapy, and even the cost of child care while she is recovering.
AmberDru

Columbus, OH

#12 Nov 17, 2010
We do not owe the world free health care.

Hospital Falters as Refuge for Illegal Immigrants

ATLANTA — Each had crossed the border years before, smuggled across the desert by a coyote, never imagining the journey would lead to a drab and dusty clinic on the ninth floor of Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta.

Some knew before the crossing that they had diabetes or lupus or high blood pressure, but it was only after they arrived that their kidneys began to fail. To survive, they needed dialysis at a cost of about $50,000 a year, which their sporadic work as housekeepers, painters and laborers could not begin to cover.

And so they turned to Grady, a taxpayer-supported safety-net hospital that would provide dialysis to anyone in need, even illegal immigrants with no insurance or ability to pay. Every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday morning, the 15 or so patients would settle into their recliners, four to a room, and while away the monotonous three-hour treatments by chitchatting in Spanish.
Ho Lee Schitt

Doylestown, PA

#13 Nov 17, 2010
Do any of you right wing scumbags actually have a job or do you just spam forums when you're not watching beckerhead and fondling yourselves?
Ross

Lady Lake, FL

#14 Nov 17, 2010
The Marxists are on the march. This is just one more attempt to keep the borders open so they can collapse the US economy. Soros and his ilk can then install their one world order.

Soros needs to leave this country while he is still able to.
Telmark

Berkeley, CA

#15 Nov 17, 2010
Ho Lee Schitt wrote:
Do any of you right wing scumbags actually have a job or do you just spam forums when you're not watching beckerhead and fondling yourselves?
We Republicans and Independents are always busy paying the taxes that help keep left wing voters in section 8 housing, Escalades, and in line at the welfare office.

BTW, how's "business" going for you Ho?
We All Loose

United States

#16 Nov 17, 2010
(I choose not to respond to Iria's lies). In other news.. the retarded left media is worried about Sarah Palin, and the princes wedding while dodging the trial of the terroist that the jury drop over 200 hundred counts. The retarded left cryed for civilian trials and once again when the idiots get a bright idea, we all loose.
We All Loose

United States

#17 Nov 17, 2010
Ho Lee Schitt wrote:
Do any of you right wing scumbags actually have a job or do you just spam forums when you're not watching beckerhead and fondling yourselves?
Hahaha it's called a phone. Yeah, see you can take it anywhere make calls, do your banking, and expose the truth about you retarded liberals.

“President DOWNGRADE..Ha Ha Ha!”

Since: Sep 09

Tavares, FL

#19 Nov 17, 2010
If iria wants to fork over some of her wealth to pay for people that don't want to work, I'm not stopping her.

Oh, that would mean iria has a decent job and that may be a stretch.
OMG

United States

#20 Nov 17, 2010
let's not forget they will spend billions of dollars to send our lower and middle class brave americans overseas to die for oil....but will protest at the thought of paying taxes for it.

“President DOWNGRADE..Ha Ha Ha!”

Since: Sep 09

Tavares, FL

#21 Nov 17, 2010
OMG wrote:
let's not forget they will spend billions of dollars to send our lower and middle class brave americans overseas to die for oil....but will protest at the thought of paying taxes for it.
Obama is a rich man sending our troops to die in a foreign land. Why aren't you telling Obama to stop his wars?

Since: May 10

Salinas, CA

#23 Nov 17, 2010
ARIZONA DEATH PANELS!
john

Eatontown, NJ

#24 Nov 17, 2010
mexican illegals have a baby here and get everything. illegals! if it sends them packing so be it. there is a process. bush tax cuts look dead in the water. this administration is total b.s. health care will!, cost more. medicare tax will go up on workers take out at 3.8 percent by 2013. the shovel ready projects were shoveling federal money to sustain state budgets! unemployment will not be passed without bush tax cuts. nothing will be done. the state of california is selling real estate lower than original cost. the e.p.a. goes unchecked to oppress the people already oppressed with the fed printing money. pensions have never added revenues in years. regulations are strangling business. social security is to be raised and extended in age. china is not buying our debt and selling it. exports are 12 percent of economy and obama wants exports.? this administration is a train wreck.
john

Eatontown, NJ

#25 Nov 17, 2010
The laughing liberal wrote:
The Woman Greenspan, Dems Rubin & Summers Silenced on Derivatives
posted by Katrina vanden Heuvel on 10/09/2008
In 1997, Brooksley Born warned in congressional testimony that unregulated trading in derivatives could "threaten our regulated markets or, indeed, our economy without any federal agency knowing about it." Born called for greater transparency--disclosure of trades and reserves as a buffer against losses.
Instead of heeding this oracle's warnings, Greenspan, Rubin & Summers rushed to silence her. As the Times story reveals, Born's wise warnings "incited fierce opposition" from Greenspan and Rubin who "concluded that merely discussing new rules threatened the derivatives market." Greenspan deployed condescension and told Born she didn't know what she doing and she'd cause a financial crisis.(A senior Commission director who worked with Born suggests that Greenspan and the guys didn't like her independence. " Brooksley was this woman who was not playing tennis with these guys and not having lunch with these guys. There was a little bit of the feeling that this woman was not of Wall Street.")
In early 1998, according to the Times story, one of the guys, Larry Summers, called Born to "chastise her for taking steps he said would lead to a financial crisis. But Born kept at it, unwilling to let arrogant men undermine her good judgment. But it got tougher out there. In June 1998, Greenspan, Rubin and the then head of the SEC, Arthur Levitt, Jr., called on Congress "to prevent Ms. Born from acting until more senior regulators developed their own recommendations." (Levitt now says he regrets that decision.) Months later, the huge hedge fund Long Term Capital Management nearly collapsed--confirming some of Born's warnings.(Bets on derivatives were a key reason.)
"Despite that event," the Times reports, " Congress (apparently as a result of Greenspan & Summer's urging, influence-peddling and pressure) "froze" Born's Commissions' regulatory authority. The next year, Born left as head of the Commission.Born did not talk to the Times for their article.
What emerges is a story of reckless, willful and arrogant action and behaviour designed to undermine a wise woman's good judgment.
http://www.thenation.com/blogs/edcut/370925/t...
thanks
john

Eatontown, NJ

#26 Nov 17, 2010
We All Loose wrote:
(I choose not to respond to Iria's lies). In other news.. the retarded left media is worried about Sarah Palin, and the princes wedding while dodging the trial of the terroist that the jury drop over 200 hundred counts. The retarded left cryed for civilian trials and once again when the idiots get a bright idea, we all loose.
totally agree! rights!? b.s.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Arizona Government Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Young immigrants to line up for driver's licenses 1 hr American Citizen 1 1
GOP Gov: Brewer Defends Medicaid Expansion: 'We... (Jun '13) Dec 10 swedenforever 19
Mothers of disabled children sue state over bud... (Apr '09) Dec 7 Tony 326
Magnitude-4.7 earthquake rattles Arizona residents Dec 2 Trevor 1
Immigrants' chances tied to their state's polices Nov 28 Jeff Brightone 1
Hispanics fear profiling under new Arizona law (Apr '10) Nov 23 positronium 193,322
California tuition hike fight shifts to Sacramento Nov 23 Ace McMillan 4
More from around the web