Alabama law leaves immigrants on edge

Feb 21, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WBIR-TV

When Alabama's immigration law went into effect in September, it sent shock waves throughout Hispanic communities within the state.

Comments
1 - 20 of 97 Comments Last updated Feb 27, 2012
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Dee Dee Dee

Emmaus, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Another misleading headline. Immigrants are not on edge. Illegal aliens are on edge and that is how it should be for all criminals. An estimated 80,000 criminals have left the state. Sadly most are still in the country but the good news is they are fleeing to sanctuary states. Unless of course you happen to live and pay taxes in a sanctuary state.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

i find the whole process a mockery! all know illegal aliens are criminals yet when states try and get rid of them a crooked court comes in trying to cater to the criminals,shows maybe that judge is crooked as well.

our system needs a swift kick. then again we have a president who has sided with other countries over his own states and citizens.
Boo Hoo

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Ask me if I care. That would be a definite NO! I've had a belly full of illegals, period!

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Immigrants are not on edge, illegal aliens are.

How come we only hear about all the "Hispanics" that are on edge and only going out at night, blah, blah, blah?

Does anyone not think that *other* illegal aliens who are living in Alabama are *also* on edge? And yet we don't hear about them or from them -- because they aren't whiners. They know they did wrong and they aren't marching in the streets demanding rights they have no right to demand, much less receive. These whiners should be the first to go. Anyone marching for "rights" and other crap in a country to which they do not belong should be the very first ones rounded up and shipped out. No papers? No stay!

“Liberal Teachers ruin Kids”

Since: Mar 09

Paradise Valley Arizona

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

When Alabama's immigration law went into effect in September, it sent shock waves throughout Hispanic communities within the state

GOOD!!!

Capture , sort , and deport
magadala

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

"It's funny to see everyday people talking about the appellate court system and the fact that the (U.S.) Supreme Court will be issuing a decision in the summer over S.B. 1070 (Arizona's law) and how that will have repercussions for H.B. 56," said Gwendolyn Ferreti, a community organizer in Tuscaloosa. "That's really inspiring, that an immigrant community has gotten to know this so well and so intimately."

I take issue with her calling illegal aliens, "everyday people"

And please note how these poor people who barely speak English, if at all, have well organized gatherings and professional signs. My my, illegal aliens get more sophisticated every day, and still cannot assimilated within the American culture, but know their "rights!"

Good job businessmen and produce growers in AL.

I recently emailed the governor of AL commending him on staying the course, and encouraging him to NEVER back down. It would be great if more of us did that. Just to let him know he not only has local, but national support!
magadala

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Dee Dee Dee wrote:
Another misleading headline. Immigrants are not on edge. Illegal aliens are on edge and that is how it should be for all criminals. An estimated 80,000 criminals have left the state. Sadly most are still in the country but the good news is they are fleeing to sanctuary states. Unless of course you happen to live and pay taxes in a sanctuary state.
I live in a sanctuary state, but take heart, the tide is turning. We just wacked 'em down, you would be proud.

Our illegal alien groups tried to get our legislators to pass a law PROHIBITING the use of e-verify!!! They were loud and angry, they had protests at our capitol, they said that elderly and minorities would be harmed (elderly and minorities have problems documenting citizenship?!!!), and on and on.

Well, this bill never made it out of committee, must less a debate on the floor, never met the light of day!!!

Yes, the tide is turning. Oh, and as you might expect, the Seattle Times wrote articles about the protest and the "cause," but not a peep when the article died in committee. Most people here still don't know unless they take the time to do the research! It's just quiet.
magadala

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Rebel wrote:
Immigrants are not on edge, illegal aliens are.
How come we only hear about all the "Hispanics" that are on edge and only going out at night, blah, blah, blah?
Does anyone not think that *other* illegal aliens who are living in Alabama are *also* on edge? And yet we don't hear about them or from them -- because they aren't whiners. They know they did wrong and they aren't marching in the streets demanding rights they have no right to demand, much less receive. These whiners should be the first to go. Anyone marching for "rights" and other crap in a country to which they do not belong should be the very first ones rounded up and shipped out. No papers? No stay!
Good point!!! Hispanics have given illegal aliens a bad name!

Asians come to a country, legal or not, don't ask for welfare, struggle to learn the language and assimilate, far outdistance most students in pursuit of studies to better themselves, don't ask for special services.

Question: When was the last time you saw a group of Asian students standing around in cap and gown, sitting in and protesting, asking for instate tuition or financial aid, or likening their illegal cause to the black civil rights movement or the holocaust?

Yet, Asians tend to be by far the majority minority in ALL colleges! Their teen pregnancy and high school drop out rates are minimal, barely registering on the scale.

If mexicans had come with this, we would have barely noticed them. Their in your face with accusations of bigotry while stealing from us and committing crimes daily just doesn't work. mexicans are suppose to be on edge!

Since: Jun 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

tomin cali wrote:
i find the whole process a mockery! all know illegal aliens are criminals yet when states try and get rid of them a crooked court comes in trying to cater to the criminals,shows maybe that judge is crooked as well.
our system needs a swift kick. then again we have a president who has sided with other countries over his own states and citizens.
No maybe about it. The judges are taking bribes. They all do it.
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Awww..

I feel so sorry for the people here actively stealing from taxpayers. It's such a shame that enforcing the law stresses them so badly. If they don't like it, they can leave and the stress is gone - for them and the taxpayers.
Over The Cliff

Kansas City, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

I don't know much about Alabama, but are their hills/mountains/cliffs? If so, a gentle push would work IMO!
Harrisson

Stamford, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

kill em all

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

magadala wrote:
<quoted text>
I live in a sanctuary state, but take heart, the tide is turning. We just wacked 'em down, you would be proud.
Our illegal alien groups tried to get our legislators to pass a law PROHIBITING the use of e-verify!!! They were loud and angry, they had protests at our capitol, they said that elderly and minorities would be harmed (elderly and minorities have problems documenting citizenship?!!!), and on and on.
Well, this bill never made it out of committee, must less a debate on the floor, never met the light of day!!!
Yes, the tide is turning. Oh, and as you might expect, the Seattle Times wrote articles about the protest and the "cause," but not a peep when the article died in committee. Most people here still don't know unless they take the time to do the research! It's just quiet.
Most elderly are not working, and even filling out a W-4 or 1099 you have to provide certain documents. If they are working, they have documents and I doubt the documents *won't* pass e-verify.

These illegal aliens and their criminal supporters will try anything and they think up every petty reason to try to keep the slaves here.

It's black and white. Enforce the laws. We don't consider family or anything else when sending a citizen to prison, so why are we considering any such thing for illegal alien interlopers?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

magadala wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point!!! Hispanics have given illegal aliens a bad name!
Asians come to a country, legal or not, don't ask for welfare, struggle to learn the language and assimilate, far outdistance most students in pursuit of studies to better themselves, don't ask for special services.
Question: When was the last time you saw a group of Asian students standing around in cap and gown, sitting in and protesting, asking for instate tuition or financial aid, or likening their illegal cause to the black civil rights movement or the holocaust?
Yet, Asians tend to be by far the majority minority in ALL colleges! Their teen pregnancy and high school drop out rates are minimal, barely registering on the scale.
If mexicans had come with this, we would have barely noticed them. Their in your face with accusations of bigotry while stealing from us and committing crimes daily just doesn't work. mexicans are suppose to be on edge!
There was a time down here several years ago that the Irish illegals were yelling about rights (not quite as loud as the Hispanics yell, but still yelling). I think they may also have taken their little "party" to Washington DC. Two of the participants used to live in the same duplex as an old friend of mine. The sister was legal, but the brother was not. I promptly turned the brother *and* his employer over to ICE and the IRS. I can only hope he was eventually caught. Both sister *and* brother are bad news, but I think sister actually obtained citizenship. The brother regularly talked about working cash under the table.

They both made me sick. The sister was committing a felony by aiding/abetting her brother and assisting him in staying here.
Bazinga

Newport Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Funny nobody mention the big elephant in the room. This law is costing $10.800'000.000,oo a year to Alabamans. Woooooow.
Free is free

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

Bazinga wrote:
Funny nobody mention the big elephant in the room. This law is costing $10.800'000.000,oo a year to Alabamans. Woooooow.
I'd love to see some non-partisan documentation of that figure. Here's betting it came from the posterior of someone representing farmers.
magadala

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Bazinga wrote:
Source? Wooooow!
Bazinga

Newport Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Free is free wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd love to see some non-partisan documentation of that figure. Here's betting it came from the posterior of someone representing farmers.
You may not consider the University of Alabama a non partisan resource?
G l o r i A

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

magadala wrote:
<quoted text>
Source? Wooooow!
Dont hold your breath waiting for sources from this dude! lol
Bazinga

Newport Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2012

Judged:

magadala wrote:
<quoted text>
Source? Wooooow!
It is in the article, you didn't read the article?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Alabama Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Have you seen a panther in Alabama? Prove state... Tue gulf 1
Abortion doctors restrictions take root in South Aug 18 ATE CHRISTY 7
High-profile endorsements shine spotlight on Se... Aug 11 Raburn 5
kerkoj ciftet Qe dun me u qi Aug 7 sherbejme me dig 2
There's no 'war on whites,' Congressman Brooks,... Aug 6 Tea Party Supporter 1
It's 72 degrees at noon in Alabama on July 31: ... Aug 1 Craig Files 1
Ruling on gay sex ban leaves Alabamians 'less p... Jul 28 Gremlin 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••