Hilliard schools to restore middle-school sports, thanks to union concessions | The Columbus Disp...

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Hilliard middle-school students likely will get to play fall sports after teachers and support staff agreed to concessions that would save the district more than $9.6 million over the next three fiscal years.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of129
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
RESPECT

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

those awful greedy teachers!

See- sb5 NOT NEEDED King John
Archie Bunker on Steroids

Westerville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

So how long have the students suffered the "no sports" curse? Looks like they can thank the union goons for not having had sports in the first place!
Just Sayin

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

Just another example of the School Board yelling "Fire" when there was none. About time they stood up to the union and represented the tax payers! Now to start planning for the next tax increase.
Well

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

What about the administrators? Come on, its your turn!
tom the traveler

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

The game of chicken continues.

Public Unions to the public "You will all die if you don't increase taxes and pay us"

Taxpayers to Public Unions "We call your bluff"

Public Unions "Ok, no band, no football for the kiddies"

Taxpayers choose "OK, we raise taxes" or "Unions can go f yourself"
PJC

Galloway, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

Let me see if I understand this, the lower paid employees get very little pay increase and has to pay more for their medical so middle school can play sports and have a gifted program. Why not save the money?
Cecil

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

Why do we need to spend taxpayer dollars on middle school sports? Get a local boosters organization to do it.

Kids should be learning scholastics in school.
The American Way

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

No we will not pay more for the extra services we want because it is our money! You take the pay cut and give us more for less. I want to pay for ground chuck, but I expect to get filet.

I really wonder who would consider going into education anymore, this is getting absurd. Europe and Asia pays their teachers top rates, treats them like professionals, care about learning, and out performs American students across the board. In America, we gots to have our foosball for free by the school, who needs teachers.
A-Row

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

Nice to see that EDUCATORS (you know, the people teaching curriculum) are making these sacrifices so Hilliard can re-instate NON-CURRICULUR activities. Sports are great, but did anyone ever get a grade for them (outside of gym class of course). My point is this....Why do districts feel that NON-CURRICULUR activities merit such consideration? I wonder how much school districts could cut from their bottom lines if they eliminated all sports? Kids could enroll in club sports (which are everywhere) and districts could lease out the facilities. Kids would still get the athletic opportunities, schools could focus on teaching core subject matter, districts wouldn't be burdened with coaches'/athletic director salaries #not to mention bus costs#, and there could be a steady revenue stream from the facility lease.
Just a thought.
Keepin it real

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

RESPECT wrote:
those awful greedy teachers!
See- sb5 NOT NEEDED King John
Your point may be right or wrong because maybe because of SB5 the teachers union decided to act in good faith for the good of the students, the schools, the community and the public relations good it may do with the pending vote to repeal it. I'm just saying....
reality speaks

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

The American Way wrote:
No we will not pay more for the extra services we want because it is our money! You take the pay cut and give us more for less. I want to pay for ground chuck, but I expect to get filet.
I really wonder who would consider going into education anymore, this is getting absurd. Europe and Asia pays their teachers top rates, treats them like professionals, care about learning, and out performs American students across the board. In America, we gots to have our foosball for free by the school, who needs teachers.
expecting high school ability to read; and make change for a dollar is asking to much.

those salaries of average 60K is just not enough to teach the kids to read.

So the taxpayers have gone on strike; and will change the education system

If 60K is not enough, don't take the job.

At this point, in college an extra year of tuition must be paid to teach basic reading and math skills, just so the kids have a chance at completing studies. Now a 4 year degree takes 5 to complete. Another soaking of the parents, who are the taxpayers.
HILLIARD MOM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

MOST HILLIARD HERITAGE MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHERS ARE OVERPAID AND DONT CARE ABOUT THE WELL BEING OF THE STUDENTS. THEY R THERE TO COLLECT A PAYCHECK NOT TO HELP THE KIDS SUCCEED AND TEACH.
XXX

Plain City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

HILLIARD MOM wrote:
MOST HILLIARD HERITAGE MIDDLE SCHOOL TEACHERS ARE OVERPAID AND DONT CARE ABOUT THE WELL BEING OF THE STUDENTS. THEY R THERE TO COLLECT A PAYCHECK NOT TO HELP THE KIDS SUCCEED AND TEACH.
My Kids are at Memorial and their teachers are AWESOME!
Dan

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

This is the first time I've ever heard of union concessions instead of the district hurting the student body when financials are tight.

SB5 clearly is working.
eric

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

Thank god that the middle schoolers will stilll have sports now they can all still get their trophiies and get their self esteem boosted
RESPECT

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

Keepin it real wrote:
<quoted text>
Your point may be right or wrong because maybe because of SB5 the teachers union decided to act in good faith for the good of the students, the schools, the community and the public relations good it may do with the pending vote to repeal it. I'm just saying....
Nope- Most teachers unions across the state have been conceding for 2 years to help balance budgets and keep programs. Next year, without SB5, I expect to take home approx 500$ per check less, due to these concessions. They just are not reported. It is called bargaining for a reason. We bargain- not with greed, but with intelligence. Unfortunately, most are falling for the propaganda the corporate - for profit- education reformers are hammering home.
eric

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

senate bill 5 is what caused this to happen
thank you governor
Unrepentant Cynic

Pickerington, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

Finally! The middle school children are going to get a real education! SPORTS programs. What the hell is wrong with people?
Reality Check

Lima, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

Funny how SB 5 has already had a HUGE impact.
eric

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 3, 2011

Judged:

I bet when the next contract is negotiated they get all their concessions back retroactivly.
Wait and see.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of129
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Middle School Sports Discussions

Search the Middle School Sports Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Should middle schools have team sports? (Nov '08) Feb '14 lolyolo 67
Show your shcool pride with Titanium Twisters!!! (Mar '13) Mar '13 Anonymous 1
Discounts code for sports fundraisers! (Dec '12) Dec '12 Anonymous 1
Should schools require a 2.0 gpa for sports? (Feb '10) Dec '12 jimmie 3
Louisville school board to hold public meeting ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Mitt Rmoney 1
Middle School Sports Programs Gone in September (Feb '12) Feb '12 meme 2
Height of basketball goal in middle school (Jun '09) Jan '12 lpj1198 2
•••
•••
•••