Serena Williams Saunters into 2nd Round

Jun 26, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: RIA Novosti

Serena Williams sealed her place in the second round of Wimbledon with ease Tuesday, beating Barbora Zahlavova Strycova of the Czech Republic in straight sets.

Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Jul 7, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
john

Sikeston, MO

#1 Jun 27, 2012
It wasn't with ease she struggled in the second set.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#2 Jun 28, 2012
john wrote:
It wasn't with ease she struggled in the second set.
I didn't watch the match, but I've read several reports from AP, ESPN, and Reuters. Not one source said anything about Serena Williams having any problems. As a matter of fact, they called her performance "overpowering" as she hit 10 aces in a 6-1, 6-4 victory. She won 37 of 44 points while serving, including 27 of 28 on first serves, and never faced a break point. How is that "struggling"?

If anybody struggled, it was Sharapova who blew a 7-6, 3-1 lead in the second. She regressed to her old serving habits, throwing up several double faults at critical times, losing her serve, and then losing the tiebreaker 6-7, before righting the ship in the third and winning 6-0. Another match like that against a top ten opponent and she'll be gone.
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

#3 Jun 30, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't watch the match, but I've read several reports from AP, ESPN, and Reuters. Not one source said anything about Serena Williams having any problems. As a matter of fact, they called her performance "overpowering" as she hit 10 aces in a 6-1, 6-4 victory. She won 37 of 44 points while serving, including 27 of 28 on first serves, and never faced a break point. How is that "struggling"?
If anybody struggled, it was Sharapova who blew a 7-6, 3-1 lead in the second. She regressed to her old serving habits, throwing up several double faults at critical times, losing her serve, and then losing the tiebreaker 6-7, before righting the ship in the third and winning 6-0. Another match like that against a top ten opponent and she'll be gone.
Sharapova often struggles but rarely panicks and rights the ship in time. I hope she plays Serena and kicks her fat ass. That lady needs to be drug tested. She looks more like a man every time I watch her!!!!!!!!!!
john

Sikeston, MO

#4 Jun 30, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>Sharapova often struggles but rarely panicks and rights the ship in time. I hope she plays Serena and kicks her fat ass. That lady needs to be drug tested. She looks more like a man every time I watch her!!!!!!!!!!
rude much? I say the player who wants it the most will win. It's a lot of underdogs kicking top players butt out there. So you never know.
john

Sikeston, MO

#5 Jun 30, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>I didn't watch the match, but I've read several reports from AP, ESPN, and Reuters. Not one source said anything about Serena Williams having any problems. As a matter of fact, they called her performance "overpowering" as she hit 10 aces in a 6-1, 6-4 victory. She won 37 of 44 points while serving, including 27 of 28 on first serves, and never faced a break point. How is that "struggling"?

If anybody struggled, it was Sharapova who blew a 7-6, 3-1 lead in the second. She regressed to her old serving habits, throwing up several double faults at critical times, losing her serve, and then losing the tiebreaker 6-7, before righting the ship in the third and winning 6-0. Another match like that against a top ten opponent and she'll be gone.
well I watched the match and believe me she had a hard second set. But I guess a win is a win.
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

#6 Jun 30, 2012
john wrote:
<quoted text>
rude much? I say the player who wants it the most will win. It's a lot of underdogs kicking top players butt out there. So you never know.
No, not being rude. Just telling like it is. You can't deny she looks like a man? Do you actually think she is not on PED's?
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

#7 Jun 30, 2012
john wrote:
<quoted text>
rude much? I say the player who wants it the most will win. It's a lot of underdogs kicking top players butt out there. So you never know.
Boy John what a revelation. The person who wants it the most will win. No kidding. Did you watch any of the Venus first round match when she got her ass kicked? She looked like she didn't even want to be out there. Although she does have health problems, she was already starting to fade into the sunset before this happened to her. She should quit and taking her brash, annoying and volatile sister ( or brother ) with her. Not sure any longer if Serena is a man or woman?

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#8 Jul 1, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
No, not being rude. Just telling like it is. You can't deny she looks like a man? Do you actually think she is not on PED's?
What do her looks have to do with anything? Her physical dimensions are no different than most of the other top female tennis players:

#1 Maria Sharapova 6'2"/150lbs
#2 Victoria Azarenka 6'0"/145lbs
#3 Agnieszka Radwanska 5'8"/123lbs
#4 Petra Kvitova 6'0"/154lbs
#5 Samantha Stosur 5'8" 143lbs
#6 Serena Williams 5'9"/155lbs
#7 Caroline Wozniacki 5'10"/128lbs
#8 Angelique Kerber 5'8"/150lbs
#9 Marion Bartoli 5'7"/139lbs
#10 Sara Errani 5'4"/132lbs

And, even going back to past number ones:

Ana Ivanovic 6'0"/152lbs
Kim Clijsters 5'9"/150lbs
Venus Williams 6'1"/160lbs
Dinara Safina 6'0"/154lbs
Lindsey Davenport - 6'3"/175 lbs
Amelie Mauresmo - 5'9"/150 lbs

And going WAY back:

Margaret Court - 5'9"/150 lbs
Martina Navratilova - 5'8"/145 lbs
Monica Seles - 5'10"/130 lbs
Steffi Graf - 5'9"/140 lbs

As you can see, Serena Williams is no larger than any of the other top female tennis players. If she's on PEDs, then they ALL are.

.
Italain Stallion wrote:
Boy John what a revelation. The person who wants it the most will win. No kidding. Did you watch any of the Venus first round match when she got her ass kicked? She looked like she didn't even want to be out there. Although she does have health problems, she was already starting to fade into the sunset before this happened to her.
Just because you (and the rest of us) just found out about Venus' illness, it doesn't mean she hasn't been suffering from this for quite some time. I believe her health problems are the reason she started losing to players out of the top ten 2-3 years ago. Now that her illness has been diagnosed, she can learn to better manage it, and return to the top ten.

Venus Williams is not the first player to have to make adjustments to her schedule/game to manage an illness or injury. The great Pete Sampras had a similar illness, but he continued playing for years. Just recently Mardy Fish and Maria Sharapova suffered through major injuries and returned in top form. Give Venus a little time to get this under control.

.
She should quit and taking her brash, annoying and volatile sister ( or brother ) with her. Not sure any longer if Serena is a man or woman?
Who are you to decide when it's time for a player to retire? And, why this preoccupation with Serena? Sounds like you have a crush on her...
john

Sikeston, MO

#9 Jul 2, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>Boy John what a revelation. The person who wants it the most will win. No kidding. Did you watch any of the Venus first round match when she got her ass kicked? She looked like she didn't even want to be out there. Although she does have health problems, she was already starting to fade into the sunset before this happened to her. She should quit and taking her brash, annoying and volatile sister ( or brother ) with her. Not sure any longer if Serena is a man or woman?
I wasn't making a revelation just some people forget that when it comes to race. I love the sport so i enjoy the match. Most people focus on a certain player then get all caught up in their feelings like they personally know these players. Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. At the end of the day it doesn't effect my life one way or the other. I am a sport fan period.
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

#10 Jul 2, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
What do her looks have to do with anything? Her physical dimensions are no different than most of the other top female tennis players:
#1 Maria Sharapova 6'2"/150lbs
#2 Victoria Azarenka 6'0"/145lbs
#3 Agnieszka Radwanska 5'8"/123lbs
#4 Petra Kvitova 6'0"/154lbs
#5 Samantha Stosur 5'8" 143lbs
#6 Serena Williams 5'9"/155lbs
#7 Caroline Wozniacki 5'10"/128lbs
#8 Angelique Kerber 5'8"/150lbs
#9 Marion Bartoli 5'7"/139lbs
#10 Sara Errani 5'4"/132lbs
And, even going back to past number ones:
Ana Ivanovic 6'0"/152lbs
Kim Clijsters 5'9"/150lbs
Venus Williams 6'1"/160lbs
Dinara Safina 6'0"/154lbs
Lindsey Davenport - 6'3"/175 lbs
Amelie Mauresmo - 5'9"/150 lbs
And going WAY back:
Margaret Court - 5'9"/150 lbs
Martina Navratilova - 5'8"/145 lbs
Monica Seles - 5'10"/130 lbs
Steffi Graf - 5'9"/140 lbs
As you can see, Serena Williams is no larger than any of the other top female tennis players. If she's on PEDs, then they ALL are.
.
<quoted text>
Just because you (and the rest of us) just found out about Venus' illness, it doesn't mean she hasn't been suffering from this for quite some time. I believe her health problems are the reason she started losing to players out of the top ten 2-3 years ago. Now that her illness has been diagnosed, she can learn to better manage it, and return to the top ten.
Venus Williams is not the first player to have to make adjustments to her schedule/game to manage an illness or injury. The great Pete Sampras had a similar illness, but he continued playing for years. Just recently Mardy Fish and Maria Sharapova suffered through major injuries and returned in top form. Give Venus a little time to get this under control.
.
<quoted text>
Who are you to decide when it's time for a player to retire? And, why this preoccupation with Serena? Sounds like you have a crush on her...
A crush on Serena? That is pretty funny. Sorry John but I like woman and I don't consider Serena a woman. And it has nothing to do with race as you ignorantly eluded to. I just don't like her attitude on or off the court and I am not the only one who feels this way. I am sure most of the players on the tour don't like her either. Not sure why you found the need to quote the height and weight of all these different women. My only point was that Serena looks more like a man than a woman and most of the female tennis players look like women. Yopu are an idiot!!!!!!!!!!
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

#11 Jul 2, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
What do her looks have to do with anything? Her physical dimensions are no different than most of the other top female tennis players:
#1 Maria Sharapova 6'2"/150lbs
#2 Victoria Azarenka 6'0"/145lbs
#3 Agnieszka Radwanska 5'8"/123lbs
#4 Petra Kvitova 6'0"/154lbs
#5 Samantha Stosur 5'8" 143lbs
#6 Serena Williams 5'9"/155lbs
#7 Caroline Wozniacki 5'10"/128lbs
#8 Angelique Kerber 5'8"/150lbs
#9 Marion Bartoli 5'7"/139lbs
#10 Sara Errani 5'4"/132lbs
And, even going back to past number ones:
Ana Ivanovic 6'0"/152lbs
Kim Clijsters 5'9"/150lbs
Venus Williams 6'1"/160lbs
Dinara Safina 6'0"/154lbs
Lindsey Davenport - 6'3"/175 lbs
Amelie Mauresmo - 5'9"/150 lbs
And going WAY back:
Margaret Court - 5'9"/150 lbs
Martina Navratilova - 5'8"/145 lbs
Monica Seles - 5'10"/130 lbs
Steffi Graf - 5'9"/140 lbs
As you can see, Serena Williams is no larger than any of the other top female tennis players. If she's on PEDs, then they ALL are.
.
<quoted text>
Just because you (and the rest of us) just found out about Venus' illness, it doesn't mean she hasn't been suffering from this for quite some time. I believe her health problems are the reason she started losing to players out of the top ten 2-3 years ago. Now that her illness has been diagnosed, she can learn to better manage it, and return to the top ten.
Venus Williams is not the first player to have to make adjustments to her schedule/game to manage an illness or injury. The great Pete Sampras had a similar illness, but he continued playing for years. Just recently Mardy Fish and Maria Sharapova suffered through major injuries and returned in top form. Give Venus a little time to get this under control.
.
<quoted text>
Who are you to decide when it's time for a player to retire? And, why this preoccupation with Serena? Sounds like you have a crush on her...
The reason I said she should be drug tested is that she looks more like a man than a woman. She is the only one against drug testing from what I heard a while back. If she was found to be on PED's, then she should be stripped of all those titles. A crush on Serena? Glad i didn't just have breakfast before i read your stupid comment!!!!!!!!
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

#12 Jul 2, 2012
john wrote:
<quoted text>
I wasn't making a revelation just some people forget that when it comes to race. I love the sport so i enjoy the match. Most people focus on a certain player then get all caught up in their feelings like they personally know these players. Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people. At the end of the day it doesn't effect my life one way or the other. I am a sport fan period.
Do you recall Serena's numerous tantrums throughout her career? Like the last one where she threatened the poor lineswoman a couple of years ago during her match at the US Open against Clijsters. What a disgrace. Would you want her as a role model for your kids????? I sure hope not. She is a baby just like her sister and they seem to think they are above the other players on the tour. Nobody on the tour likes them and they only have themselves to blame for it. If you don't have anything intelligent to say, which you don't seem to, please refrain from responding. Thank you!!!!
john

Sikeston, MO

#13 Jul 2, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>Do you recall Serena's numerous tantrums throughout her career? Like the last one where she threatened the poor lineswoman a couple of years ago during her match at the US Open against Clijsters. What a disgrace. Would you want her as a role model for your kids????? I sure hope not. She is a baby just like her sister and they seem to think they are above the other players on the tour. Nobody on the tour likes them and they only have themselves to blame for it. If you don't have anything intelligent to say, which you don't seem to, please refrain from responding. Thank you!!!!
I can respond as I like as the only thing you have problem with the Williams sister is their race. I see you said they are a disgrace to tennis. So what did Venus do? What intelligence have you shown your no different fro Serena with your words on here. You get upset and try to bully someone with intelligence. You have the same poor sportsmanship on here as you say Serena has. Don't get mad and put someone intelligence in it. Because sir it shows who the less intelligent person is and that being you.
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

#14 Jul 2, 2012
john wrote:
<quoted text>
I can respond as I like as the only thing you have problem with the Williams sister is their race. I see you said they are a disgrace to tennis. So what did Venus do? What intelligence have you shown your no different fro Serena with your words on here. You get upset and try to bully someone with intelligence. You have the same poor sportsmanship on here as you say Serena has. Don't get mad and put someone intelligence in it. Because sir it shows who the less intelligent person is and that being you.
Ok John. I guess I shouldn't question your intelligence, however, you haven't responded to any of my comments. You didn't respond to my comments of the Williams sister's temper tantrums. Do you not recall them? Check out You Tube and I am sure you should have no problem finding this stuff. And I have said over and over that I have nothing against their race you moron. I simply don't like the way they carry themselves on and off the court. I have played sports all my life and know how to win with grace but more importantly lose with grace. Obviously the sisters have yet to do that and likely never will Hope Kvitova kicks her ass tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#15 Jul 2, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
A crush on Serena? That is pretty funny. Sorry John but I like woman and I don't consider Serena a woman. And it has nothing to do with race as you ignorantly eluded to. I just don't like her attitude on or off the court and I am not the only one who feels this way. I am sure most of the players on the tour don't like her either. Not sure why you found the need to quote the height and weight of all these different women. My only point was that Serena looks more like a man than a woman and most of the female tennis players look like women. Yopu are an idiot!!!!!!!!!!
And this is how you convince others that you're the voice of reason? Are you kidding?

I'm not John, I'm TMD, and I quoted all those physical dimensions to prove to you that Serena Williams has about the same build as most of the other top players, now and historically. She has been drug tested MANY times, as have ALL of the top players, and has passed ALL of those tests.

Not liking someone, for whatever reason, is your prerogative, but calling someone names because they don't agree with you makes YOU sound childish and petty. Grow up.

.
The reason I said she should be drug tested is that she looks more like a man than a woman. She is the only one against drug testing from what I heard a while back. If she was found to be on PED's, then she should be stripped of all those titles.
As I previously stated, Serena Williams, as all tour players, is subject to random drug tests. She has never failed a test. Her problem with the tests was the frequency and rigidness of them. Many other tour players have made the same objections, including Rafael Nadal.

.
A crush on Serena? Glad i didn't just have breakfast before i read your stupid comment!!!!!!!!
Still this obsession with Serena Williams. Yep, you definitely are in love...
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

#16 Jul 2, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is how you convince others that you're the voice of reason? Are you kidding?
I'm not John, I'm TMD, and I quoted all those physical dimensions to prove to you that Serena Williams has about the same build as most of the other top players, now and historically. She has been drug tested MANY times, as have ALL of the top players, and has passed ALL of those tests.
Not liking someone, for whatever reason, is your prerogative, but calling someone names because they don't agree with you makes YOU sound childish and petty. Grow up.
And as I previously stated, I like women not men. Not sure which category she falls under?????? You should watch the video of Serena threatening the line judge for a foot fault in the semis of the US Open in 2009 against Clijsters. I didn't like her before this incident and have despised her more ever since!!!!!! She seems to think the rules that apply to everyone else don't apply to her. Even John " The Brat " McEnroe said it was a bit much. Now MeEnroe, although a good player in his own right, another class act in his day!!!!
.
<11quoted text>
As I previously stated, Serena Williams, as all tour players, is subject to random drug tests. She has never failed a test. Her problem with the tests was the frequency and rigidness of them. Many other tour players have made the same objections, including Rafael Nadal.
.
<quoted text>
Still this obsession with Serena Williams. Yep, you definitely are in love...
Like I said before I like women not men. I would not consider Serena a woman. Just a classless soiled little baby. If you haven't seen it, maybe you watch the video of the US Open semi final match against Clijsters in 2009 when she threatened the line judge. I admit it was a bad call, however, nobody should ever have to put up with that. What is a real joke is that she wasn't even suspended!!!!!!!!
Italain Stallion

Kanata, Canada

#17 Jul 2, 2012
TMD wrote:
<quoted text>
And this is how you convince others that you're the voice of reason? Are you kidding?
I'm not John, I'm TMD, and I quoted all those physical dimensions to prove to you that Serena Williams has about the same build as most of the other top players, now and historically. She has been drug tested MANY times, as have ALL of the top players, and has passed ALL of those tests.
Not liking someone, for whatever reason, is your prerogative, but calling someone names because they don't agree with you makes YOU sound childish and petty. Grow up.
.
<quoted text>
As I previously stated, Serena Williams, as all tour players, is subject to random drug tests. She has never failed a test. Her problem with the tests was the frequency and rigidness of them. Many other tour players have made the same objections, including Rafael Nadal.
.
<quoted text>
Still this obsession with Serena Williams. Yep, you definitely are in love...
" She has the same build as other players now and historically ". Now I am guessing you are on drugs. Sharapova, Ivonavic, Azaraenka and many others look like women while Serena looks more like Navratilova who also looked like a man in her playing days. Serena has been a good player over the years, I will give her that. You can't however compare to her some of the greats like Steffi Graf who has 9 more Grand Slams than Serena. She has one of the best serves ever, however, other than that she is not that good.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#18 Jul 2, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
Like I said before I like women not men. I would not consider Serena a woman. Just a classless soiled little baby. If you haven't seen it, maybe you watch the video of the US Open semi final match against Clijsters in 2009 when she threatened the line judge. I admit it was a bad call, however, nobody should ever have to put up with that.
I have been a tennis fan since Laver won his first Grand Slam in '62. I have watched a lot of sports, with tennis being one of my favorites. Believe me, screaming at umpires and line-judges is one of the oldest of the tennis on-court "sins". What Serena Williams said and did in the '09 USO pales in comparison to the antics of Ilie Nastase, John McEnroe, and Jimmy Connors in their heyday.

Nastase routinely cursed at the umpires (in Italian), and even spit at them. I'm sure you've seen the videos of McEnroe and Connors yelling at line-judges. What you don't know is that they routinely displayed this behavior, but were rarely called on it. Those fans who actually attended those, and other, matches heard first-hand all of the colorful language used by both players.

I don't condone any of these outbursts, but I also don't see one as any more egregious than another.
What is a real joke is that she wasn't even suspended!!!!!!!!
She may not have been immediately suspended from the tour, but she was given a suspended ban from future USOs, put on probation for 2 YEARS, and given the largest fine in professional tennis history. I should think that would be enough...

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#19 Jul 2, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
" She has the same build as other players now and historically ". Now I am guessing you are on drugs. Sharapova, Ivonavic, Azaraenka and many others look like women while Serena looks more like Navratilova who also looked like a man in her playing days.
Seems like you just have a problem with powerfully built women. As I said before, Serena Williams has about the same build as any number of other professional tennis players. You're just going to have to learn to deal with it.

.
Serena has been a good player over the years, I will give her that. You can't however compare to her some of the greats like Steffi Graf who has 9 more Grand Slams than Serena. She has one of the best serves ever, however, other than that she is not that good.
Serena Williams at her best is AT LEAST the equal of Steffi Graf at hers. The only grounstroke Graf had that matches Williams was her lethal forehand. Williams' forehand is every bit as strong, and her backhand and serve has no peers. When she is at 90% she is almost unbeatable.

And yes, Graf won 22 GS to Williams 13. But you have to remember, the last 11 of her Slams were won after Monica Seles, her only true rival, was stabbed and removed from the tour. Seles had already won 8 GS and had beaten Graf in 3 of the last 4 Slam finals when she was attacked during a FO warmup tournament which sidelined her for 2 years. By the time she became competitive again, Graf had won 9 more Slams. Seles never returned to her old form and Graf won 2 more Slams before she retired.

TMD

“Look! Up in the sky!”

Since: Dec 06

Columbus, Ohio

#20 Jul 2, 2012
Italain Stallion wrote:
<quoted text>
Sharapova often struggles but rarely panicks and rights the ship in time. I hope she plays Serena and kicks her fat ass. That lady needs to be drug tested. She looks more like a man every time I watch her!!!!!!!!!!
Sharapova played another one of those tentative matches and was routinely dismissed by Lisicki in straight sets. See ya!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sports Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
UCLA FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Neuheisel says Prince w... (Sep '10) 10 min PEE PEE PETE 27,074
Tony Stewart on Atlanta entry list 23 min GO TONY GO 21
Tony Stewart roller coaster of emotions about n... 50 min Elise Renee Ginge... 9
Illegal a hostile work environmenta harassment ... 1 hr brentlora 1
Funeral Thursday for 3-year-old drowning victim... 3 hr Blah blah blah 48
Second Flight Diverted This Week Due to Fight O... 5 hr Understand but 1
Patriots finish seson at 16-0 (Dec '07) 6 hr Soon 2B Fartin Fred 38
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Sports People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••