Man found severely beaten downtown

Full story: The Santa Fe New Mexican

An unknown attacker or attackers on Friday night severely beat a 44-year-old Santa Fe man who police found in the middle of a street only blocks from the Santa Fe Plaza as people celebrated the first night of the city's annual Fiesta.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of205
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
What

Taos, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

A shame. Maybe they should change the ever to Wednesday now!
Nazzareno

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

Sending prayers, hope he makes it.
Disrespectful Pigs

Rio Rancho, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

The people that post comments here are nothing but disrespectul, angry, low-lifes who think they are better than anyone and everyone. Guess what? Gilbert's family has been here for generations upon generations. He was a successful business owner and an amazing human being. From the moment I met him he treated me with love and respect, and right now he deserves some. His family is probably surrounding him with all their love, support and prayers and here in this room you all are spitting hate and filth. You all should be ashamed of yourselves and hope that when the day comes that you or your friends and family are hurt or their lives are affected in some way that people don't speak about you and your loved ones the way you have spoken today.

Let's show that Santa Fe is filled with good lving people, the posts from here on out should be well wishes for Gilbert and his family.

I pray that he makes a recovery and that no matter what God's plan is for him his family has the strength to get through this terrible terrible ordeal. I love you Gilbert!
Old Stamm Home

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

Once again Hate rears its' ugly head. Too many SFPD or not enough. So who can we blame this time? Just a thought http://www.youtube.com/watch...
DPs

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

Please pray for Gilbert and his family and hope God will restore his health and his life.
Lucia Valdez

Santa Fe, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

Everytime there is a violent incident people who post start accusing Mexicans or Chicanos. What a racist lot you are, he could have been beaten by anyone, your focus to use this post to unleash your ideology is beyong sickening, I wish Mr. Roybal a speedy recovery.
joe

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

remember when it happens to one of us, it happens to all of us.
pray for our brother and his family. amen
Frank

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

Today we need to focus our thoughts and prayers on this poor man who is clinging to life. Tomorrow we need to be at City Hall demanding to know how this happened, who did it and how the City plans to make Santa Fe safe again. If and when they ever catch the criminal(s) who did this, we all need to be at the Courthouse demanding that justice be done. We are learning the hard way in this country, this state and this city that if we, the citizens, do not show up on the doorsteps of our government and elected officials and demand action, it is never going to happen!
Patsy from DC

Hedgesville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

My prayers are with Gilbert and his family. We all as a community need to bow our heads and pray for his recovery. Love to you Gilbert, my friend.
Utterly

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

knickovthyme wrote:
predictable racism
Future resident

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

The Plaza is the perfect venue for a public stoning when the person or persons are convicted.
tony masters

Panama City, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

my heart broke when the first call came in about Gilbert, i just said goodbye to him on Thursday and reassured him that we would be back to work when i came back from vacation.little did i know that was goodbye forever. i was Gilbert's trainer but much more importantly Gilbert was part of my family, loved by my children and i, we will miss his gentle soul, keen humor, and his infectious laugh.my heart goes out to his family and a whole community that knew this wonderful man.
Reality

Paso Robles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

My thoughts and prayers are with this man and his family.
wow

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

A human-being just got beaten to death by other human-beings in my town. That's pretty disturbing regardless of race, religion or sexual orientation.

Is it not an opportunity to come together to resolve this HUMAN crisis?
It doesn't really matter to Gilbert what color or culture the perpetrators were, the result was the same.
It's the behaviour we have a problem with, not the people.
Get a grip, haters, you are losing the plot here...
observer 2

Fairport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

Another violent occurrence during Fiestas and seemingly occurring right across from the Hilton and no one noticed!?
It is time to say goodby to Fiestas and stop giving people excuses to become drunk and discharge their own rage on someone else.
Most people who go have no clue as to the history of this celebration. It is just an excuse for a loud three-day party that leaves the city trashed and those in the neighborhoods near the downtown suffering from broken bottles, other garbage and noise late at night
Who said

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

yeah mexicans wrote:
doing the crime and the worthless police led by that worthless wheeler doing the investigation, so much for increased police presence at fiesta
the suspect(s)were Mexican(s) to begin with? Nowhere does this news story implies that a specific race or ethnicity was the reason this victim was beaten and seriously injured. So, why do many of these bloggers continue to blame a specific race or ethnicity for a victim that was beaten and possibly killed for some reason or another? This was a senseless crime that took place in and around the plaza during a community event and the police department cannot be everywhere. As you know - crowd control in large masses in any city or state events are very complex and difficult to operate, especially in a small city like Santa Fe. The police manpower is limited but in Santa Fe, the police and fire department has done an excellent job controlling the large crowds. On another point, evey citizen regardeless of race, need to take ownership and participate by voicing thier concerns in every language to the politicans that we need a large uniform police presence at these functions. The last time I heard about having police presence during major events in the plaza in the past is that the business community and special interests groups did not want uniform police anywhere during these events anymore. Many of the complainers continue to clam that our city was under martial law and we did not need to have a bad perception with the tourism industry. Yet, go to New York City during the New Year celberations and what do you see - a good police presence, period! At every Fiestas amd every major event here in Santa Fe, we should have hundreds of uniform police offices from every law enforcement agency present and ready to protect us. If anyone ever notice, where were our County Sheriff's deputies and New Mexico State Police in the plaza? It is too bad people like you complain and blame the police chief for your own hate towards human beings of another color and race, especialy your own racist point of views. By the way, why don't you post your real name and home address on the blog so I can tell you what I personally think of you and your racist comments?
InGodsHands

El Cajon, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

I heard he passed away but is on life support. Gilbert is donating his organs to help others. God Bless!
annabanana

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

i'm confused about his condition and wish the new mexican would do a better job on reporting, ie report the facts, not what people said. It's like playing telephone. Which is it? Is he in critical condition with the chance of survival? Did he have a head injury that will make him unresponsive if he does live? Either way, I hope he stays well.

Enough with the racism on here. It is so sick, I can't even believe how alive and well it is. I'm white as white can be, and I forget sometimes (until reading these posts on the New Mexican) how much racism is so strong a component in people's world view.
Since

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

indeed wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, he deserves love and support, but the Mexican scum who beat and maybe killed him sure as hell don't.
..you know for a fact that it was a Mexican, you obviously know who did it? Lemme guess, one of your relatives or one of the 11 people you share an apartment with.
childhood friend

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2009

Judged:

My brothers and I were raised on Elena Street across from Gilberts Grandma. Gilbert is a longtime friend and I have all the confidence in the world that Detective Lieutenant Tom Wiggins and his Violent Crimes Unit will bring those responsible to justice. Lt. Wiggins is a proven Detective Commander and I know this crime will not go unsolved. Chief Wheeler has the right people in place to ensure violent offenders are quickly apprehended as was the case last week with the homeless man that was murdered. My thoughts and prayers are with his sister and mother.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of205
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent The Santa Fe New Mexican Discussions

Search the The Santa Fe New Mexican Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Memory Lane - only for Real Santa Feans (Oct '08) Jul 13 Ken 2,199
Lawyers slam police in Valdez trial (Nov '08) Jul 10 MzRoze 46
Echoes of the past still haunt Pojoaque's Line ... (Jun '09) Jun 30 cwatson 41
Is it safe to make yourself faint? (May '09) Jun '14 Just A random guy 5
Paulson: crisis happens once or twice in 100 years (Nov '08) May '14 swedenforever 11
Deadly exposure: Plutonium-related cancers plag... (Apr '09) Apr '14 Lynne Loss 8
Feds nix credit card debt forgiveness plan (Nov '08) Mar '14 Billie 3
•••

Santa Fe Conditions

(updated 4 min ago)

Weather
Cloudy 69°F
Hi: 84°F
Lo: 61°F
Feels like: 67°F
Visibility: 10 mi

See Tomorrow's Forecast »