It's for the birds - Pacifica Tribune Online

Full story: Pacifica Tribune

The Western snowy plover, a small bird that dwells in the sands of Pacifica State Beach, has a friend in the Pacifica Open Space Committee.
Comments
1 - 20 of 39 Comments Last updated Apr 14, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Pacifica Truth Police

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 2, 2009

Why a dog, sorry, dog owner, would ever want to live in Pathetica sure beats the hell out of me! We have truly become the dog unfriendliest city in the U.S. We're number one! We're number one! Makes one proud, doesn't it?
pet kitty

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 2, 2009

Nobody should follow this law. Everybody should fight this. We never had snowy plovers, the beach was always for the people and dogs. This is OUTRAGEOUS!
Jonathan Swift

Half Moon Bay, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 3, 2009

uhm why is the Open Space Committee even making this suggestion? where in their bylaws are they even given the authority to look into this? useless titwillows, the lot of them! ban the committee.
Pacifica Truth Police

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 3, 2009

Just talked to someone who was ticketed out at Sharp Park Beach the other day for "off-leash violation". The fine is an unbelievable $246.00.

You all remember SPB don't you? It's the one that the 2002 City Council voted unanimously as off-leash dog park with the blessing of the owners -- the City of San Francisco (btw, the "Yes" vote included Jim Vreeland; Pete DeJarnut was conveniently absent for the vote so I guess that counts as a "No"). SPB is also the beach that the current Council is attempting to eliminate for off-leash without requisite due process - i.e., public notice and comment. This complete lack of due process to eliminate the already authorized dog park should certainly be challenged in court by anyone receiving a like $246.00 ticket by Pacifica's finest. This whole thing is enough to make a skunk vomit!
pet kitty

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 3, 2009

Oh! Ask them to fight the ticket!
Pacifica Truth Police

Berkeley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 3, 2009

pet kitty wrote:
Oh! Ask them to fight the ticket!
They are!
pet kitty

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 3, 2009

Yeah, Let us know what happens.
Jonathan Swift

Half Moon Bay, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 4, 2009

fight the power. our city is going broke, crime is rapidly overrunning Fairmont, Manor, and Sharp park ... but let's attack the doggies!
pet kitty

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 5, 2009

City Council needs to forget about hassling the good citizens of Pacifica and go after all the reprobates instead. This town is becoming more like a communist city, forced unwanted taxes, strict beach rules. I want to be able to have a bonfire on the beach with my dog like we used to be able to. This is a small town, the beach is our only playground left were we feel free. Tired of this mess. Take the beach away and there will be a depression for sure.
Jonathan Swift

Half Moon Bay, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 5, 2009

you say you want a revolution, well ya know . . .
Pacifica Truth Police

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 5, 2009

pet kitty wrote:
City Council needs to forget about hassling the good citizens of Pacifica and go after all the reprobates instead. This town is becoming more like a communist city, forced unwanted taxes, strict beach rules. I want to be able to have a bonfire on the beach with my dog like we used to be able to...
PK, the extreme environmentalists who have hijacked this City's government do not want you to recreate with your dog or in any other way. They believe that recreation and human presence in any permutation of open space is counter to the survival of their warped, self-serving view of biology, and, invariably, the planet. This will no doubt be the century of "No", i.e. "No life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness -- and anyhing that falls under these categories", if these extreme radicals continue to go unchecked. It's time the silent majority spoke up and proclaimed, "Enough already!".
pet kitty

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 6, 2009

Jonathan Swift wrote:
you say you want a revolution, well ya know ...
Quit singing and pay attention! LOL!
Plover Lover

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 11, 2009

I am sorry to see that people are not willing to share the shoreline with a bird species that is threatened with extinction and protected by the Endangered Species Act. We all love to let our dogs run, but there is a time and place for everything. It is not anti-dog or extreme environmentalism to ask that we find alternative locations for dog walking that are not wildlife habitat.

There are plenty of non-dog activities that also deserve a place to happen. As much as I love dogs, I was injured by an off-leash dog on the beach in Pacifica. There has to be a place for families to go where they know that there won't be off-leash dogs. I want my child to enjoy the beach, too, and I want to know there are places that we can go without off-leash dogs. Dogs should not be the dominate beach activity on every beach and there are other places to take dogs besides beaches.

Let's be fair and share. There's nothing extreme or outrageous about being part of a society and balancing everybody's needs.
F the BIRDS

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 11, 2009

Plover Lover wrote:
I am sorry to see that people are not willing to share the shoreline with a bird species that is threatened with extinction and protected by the Endangered Species Act. We all love to let our dogs run, but there is a time and place for everything. It is not anti-dog or extreme environmentalism to ask that we find alternative locations for dog walking that are not wildlife habitat.
There are plenty of non-dog activities that also deserve a place to happen. As much as I love dogs, I was injured by an off-leash dog on the beach in Pacifica. There has to be a place for families to go where they know that there won't be off-leash dogs. I want my child to enjoy the beach, too, and I want to know there are places that we can go without off-leash dogs. Dogs should not be the dominate beach activity on every beach and there are other places to take dogs besides beaches.
Let's be fair and share. There's nothing extreme or outrageous about being part of a society and balancing everybody's needs.
You lost me at "there is a time and place for everything". Listen idiot, Pacifica Linda Mar Beach is a very poplular place for locals to enjoy walking and running with their dogs and family, friends, for generations. F the dang bird. There are sooooooo many beaches up and down our Cali Coast. YOU DO NOT NEED OUR LINDA MAR BEACH!
Pacifica Truth Police

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 11, 2009

Plover Lover wrote:
PL:
So what beach areas are you proposing and supporting for off-leash dog recreation? If the answer is none, which I'm confident it will be, then so much for your fair shared/balanced rhetoric.

BTW, US Fish and Wildlife service has never designated Pacifica State Beach as critical habitat for the plover. Extremists like Plover Lover are simply using revisionist junk science and a "build it and they will come" propaganda campaign to hide behind this phony concept of a plover habitat at PSB and, in the end, justify their extreme hatred for man and his best friend.
Pacifica Truth Police

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 11, 2009

One more point, PL. Did it ever occur to you that the plovers actually prefer the presence of dogs since they actually deter the true predators of the plover, e.g., ravens, gulls, crows, etc.? As F the Bird stated, with so many thousands of miles of coastal beaches, as well as a multitude of suitable inland habitats (e.g., the Salt Lakes of Utah) why does the plover seem to choose the densely populated urban areas to hang out at?

Many of us are sick and tired of extremists like you foisting your value systems on us and incessantly attempting to take away our few remaining urban recreational opportunities in the name of "feel good", "save the planet", junk science hyperbola. I suggest that you and the rest of the obsessive birder community pool your taxpayer funded bank accounts, buy the Quarry from Peebles, and turn it into the plover sanctuary you yearn. Of course, I doubt if the plovers will partake in your generous hospitality. But it really isn't about the plovers, is it?
My name is Fox

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 12, 2009

Oooh! I cannot wait for the snowy plovers. I will come at night and trample all over every little bird and then eat them up.
Realitychick

South San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 20, 2009

Unfortunately the attitudes be these cretins will run it for all dog owners who can appreciate both the concept of sharing the beach and finding compromise. Idiots like these posters will ruin it for everyone.
Poor Folk

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 20, 2009

Realitychick wrote:
Unfortunately the attitudes be these cretins will run it for all dog owners who can appreciate both the concept of sharing the beach and finding compromise. Idiots like these posters will ruin it for everyone.
Yo a Idiot! Us po folk need help, not no dang bird. I will eat them.
Old Local

Oakland, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Feb 20, 2009

Realitychick wrote:
Name calling will get you nowhere. Go away.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Pacifica Tribune Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man leaving bar notices he has been shot May '14 Enzo49 7
Maureen McCafferty passes away - Pacifica Tribu... (Jun '09) Mar '14 Diana Kalos 4
Michael Joseph Thibodeau May 19, 1965 -- Nov 22... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Destiny 1
Off-leash dog plan in GGNRA decried by San Mate... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Heart Broken 1
Services last week for Corene Piccolotti (Jan '14) Jan '14 Teri Bravo 1
Mary Baeza passed away (Jan '14) Jan '14 DC Memo csr x 2000 7
Gladys Hall (Nov '13) Nov '13 janie and David f... 1

Search the Pacifica Tribune Forum:

Pacifica Conditions

(updated 46 min ago)

Weather
Fog 59°F
Hi: 69°F
Lo: 58°F
Feels like: 66°F
Visibility: 3 mi