It's not hunting

Pennsylvania is a bastion of sport hunting fishing, and trapping. We have centuries of history - families have centuries of history - involving blood sports. Full Story
jack

United States

#1 Sep 15, 2010
whose OPINION is this? why is this posted here with no indication of who is making this animal rights driven argument?
Wade Gustafson

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Sep 15, 2010
jack wrote:
whose OPINION is this? why is this posted here with no indication of who is making this animal rights driven argument?
It's an unsigned editorial published in the opinion pages of the Lebanon Daily News of Lebanon, Pennsylvania, a town of about 25,000 about 100 miles northwest of Philadelphia.

I'm a hunting advocate that happens to agree with most of this editorial. Except that in the newspaper business, you lose a lot of credibility with me when there are typos in the piece.(...we run photographers of the large bucks...) Where are the proof readers? Oh, that's right, they have spell check, but that doesn't work so well when the mistakes do no include misspelled words.
Sebastian

Fort Washington, PA

#3 Sep 16, 2010
You reveal your true feelings about hunting by calling it a "blood sport." Blood sports are activities like dog fighting, bear baiting, cock fighting, and bull fighting, all of which would be animal cruelty under existing Pennsylvania law. You also repeat the Humane Society of the United States' lie that Pennsylvania is the only state to allow pigeon hunting.

Why align your paper with a radical animal rights group like HSUS? You are aware they supported a law that would have made it a federal crime to publish the very hunting pictures you claim to be proof of your support of the hunting community.

I'm unconvinced you paper are true friends of hunters, since you are clearly aligning yourselves with the people who are out to destroying hunting, one species at a time.
Sebastian

Fort Washington, PA

#4 Sep 16, 2010
Sorry, pigeon shooting, not hunting. Though I would point out that HSUS lead an initiative in Michigan to outlaw dove (pigeon) hunting there. That's the next step.

If you're real friends of hunters, you'll renounce HSUS and their radical agenda.
iLL Eagle

Lebanon, PA

#5 Sep 16, 2010
Sebastian wrote:
I thought you were awesome in the Little Mermaid. I also thought you carried the whole documentary.
Sick Humans

Camp Hill, PA

#6 Sep 24, 2010
People tend to think that it's ok to do horrible things to animals, because, you know, they are JUST ANIMALS. They don't have feelings, or nerves in there little bodies that send pain signals to their brains as bullets tear through their flesh. Nope. Not animals. Animals are here for us to torture and kill as we please. It's quite okay to allow the pigeons to flop around, bleeding and torn with broken bones. Funny, though that many of the people who attend these live pigeon shoots also call themselves Christians. God put animals on the planet for us for meat and companionship. Not to mindlessly torture. You people who support this should be ashamed of yourselves.
trolls

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Oct 27, 2010
Sick Humans wrote:
People tend to think that it's ok to do horrible things to animals, because, you know, they are JUST ANIMALS. They don't have feelings, or nerves in there little bodies that send pain signals to their brains as bullets tear through their flesh. Nope. Not animals. Animals are here for us to torture and kill as we please. It's quite okay to allow the pigeons to flop around, bleeding and torn with broken bones. Funny, though that many of the people who attend these live pigeon shoots also call themselves Christians. God put animals on the planet for us for meat and companionship. Not to mindlessly torture. You people who support this should be ashamed of yourselves.
1Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
general

Harrisburg, PA

#8 Oct 29, 2010
trolls wrote:
<quoted text>
1Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. 2One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. 3The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. 4Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.
And you got your head up your ass.
Wolverine

Cumberland, MD

#9 Oct 29, 2010
general wrote:
<quoted text> And you got your head up your ass.
Methinks that it is you, instead, who has his head firmly jammed up hisass to the shoulders. Good luck retrieving it.
trolls

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Nov 2, 2010
general wrote:
<quoted text> And you got your head up your ****.
Is everyone from PA a wimpy vegan, or just the folks who post on Topix?

Since: Mar 08

Lebanon, PA

#11 Nov 3, 2010
A question on a double standard. Why is it cruelty to animals to shoot a domestic animal to euthanize it, while it's not considered cruelty to basically assassinate a wild creature from ambush? What hunting consists of today very closely parallels JFK and his hunter's hiding place on November 22, 1963, the Texas School Book Depository. There is no fair chase or hunt.

These "hunters" have even taken to trying to shoot some barn cats WHILE THEY ARE EATING on my mother's front deck, as my mom is humane enough to feed them to keep the vermin down! I found an air gun pellet in the rails of my mom's front deck which had an obvious trajectory back to the next-door neighbor's garage. There was another hole in my mom's vinyl siding near the same place. A kitten showed up injured as if that same neighbor had struck him, and several others have shown up appearing to be poisoned.
Morbius

York, PA

#12 Nov 3, 2010
trolls wrote:
<quoted text>
Is everyone from PA a wimpy vegan, or just the folks who post on Topix?
Just the liberal pinheads who post on Topix.

Personally, I like liberals - they taste like chicken...
Wolverine

Cumberland, MD

#13 Nov 7, 2010
Morbius wrote:
<quoted text>
Just the liberal pinheads who post on Topix.
Personally, I like liberals - they taste like chicken...
I beg, politely, to differ w/you. I suggest that liberals taste like shit, as they are full of it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Lebanon Daily News Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Tire company employees accused of spying via e-... (Feb '11) Sep 14 mannix 66
Cedar Haven Union needs to go Sep 8 Union no good 2
Lebanon County judge nixes plea deal (Nov '09) Sep 5 lady 63
Obama promises more than 600,000 stimulus jobs (Jun '09) Sep 2 OPERATION BID RIG 109,595
Colo. woman, 20, accused of taping dog to fridge (Apr '09) Aug '14 Helms-enator 8
'Dog the Bounty Hunter' shot at in Colo. Springs (Apr '09) Aug '14 The right is wrong 184
Keystone addressing per-capita complaints (Jun '10) Aug '14 Jack Dupp 10

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE