Conference attendees react to anti-gay comments

A recent YouTube video is generating a lot of attention at The University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond. Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Okiebug

Williamsburg, IA

#1 Mar 8, 2008
I feel like I need to say I am sorry for the entire state of Oklahoma. This is not how we feel. I can only hope that this person will be stopped from spreading hate.

“Fundie SMACKER..”

Since: Mar 08

Sunshine city, St Petersburg

#2 Mar 9, 2008
Okiebug.. we know! there are idiots in all 50 states. Just do your best to terminate her abilities and job!

Since: Feb 08

Del City, OK

#3 Mar 9, 2008
I knew okie politicians were corrupt now their bigots as well. Go figure.
Vinita 2

Tulsa, OK

#4 Mar 9, 2008
1noteasilyfooled wrote:
Okiebug.. we know! there are idiots in all 50 states. Just do your best to terminate her abilities and job!
Great job Rep. Sally Kerns!!!! You keep up the great work and may GOD bless you!!! Keep standing for what YOU and many of us believe in. "They" do why can't we? We need more people in our government like you! GREAT JOB!

“Fundie SMACKER..”

Since: Mar 08

Sunshine city, St Petersburg

#5 Mar 9, 2008
Vinita 2 wrote:
<quoted text>
Great job Rep. Sally Kerns!!!! You keep up the great work and may the KKK bless you!!! Keep standing for what YOU and many of us believe in. "They" do why can't we? We need more people in our government like you! GREAT JOB!
fixed your post
Scott

Oklahoma City, OK

#6 Mar 9, 2008
1noteasilyfooled wrote:
You mean to tell everyone that lives in this Great country that we can't speak our opinion? Don't we still have the constitution, that says we can say what we feel without being pursecuted?

...and you just showed us how big of an idiot you are. why don't you go terminate yourself from your job for your stupidity!
Now We Know

Welch, OK

#7 Mar 9, 2008
Ah, now we know........the legislator doth protest too much! Rather than trying to come to grips with her own son, and perhaps other in her family, she choses to attack the entire group of individuals with whom he associates as more dangerous than the terrorists we are currently fighting to our country; perhaps more dangerous to Salacious Sally, but NOT to our country. Please people, wake up; this country was founded NOT for the promotion and/or protection of one religion, but to promote freedom for all from religious persecution!! Does the following sound like a supportive parent/citizen to you?? Perhaps counseling and mandatory PFLAG meetings would benefit the Sallys of the world!

x poser
Oklahoma City, OK Reply
|Report Abuse |#243 3 hrs ago
I have to wonder how many of you would still stand in support of her if you knew she has a gay son that is not even allowed to stay in this state, to avoid any embarrassment to her family????
Disgusted American

North Wales, PA

#8 Mar 9, 2008
How come no-one asked Ms Kerns..about her "Gay" son...and what her relationship is with her? Maybe you should "Interview" him....I hear he doesn't have any contact with her....nice mother,what an example...NOT!
Disgusted American

North Wales, PA

#9 Mar 9, 2008
..and I for one would NEVER go to such a Bigoted state...again, another state to add to my long list to NEVER visit/tour.....ad that to the "Fly Over" state list!
Rick K

New York, NY

#10 Mar 9, 2008
This congresswoman repeatedly says that Oklahoma is a conservative state and that a gay "lifestyle" is risky and deadly. If we're going to be honest...Oklahoma has some of the highest divorce rates in the nation and also high rates of obesity, heart and lung disease. Isn't the body to be regarded as the temple of Christ? Sounds like a matter of a speck in the eye of the one being judged when there's a lumber mill in the one making the judgments.
Yes, her comments SHOULD put her career in jeopardy because her views are antiquated, naive and misinformed. If you are going to get your nose out of joint about homosexuality, you might want to look at some of the other dozens of "sins" on the same footing as stated in "scripture."
Can her claim about the indoctrination of children hold up against the fact that religious parents indoctrinate their children, claiming to save their souls, before the children have any idea of what they are even believing in or worshiping? Shouldn't something as important as what one believes on a spiritual level be reserved for when children are at an age of appropriate discernment and accountability?
Typical puritanical narrow-mindedness. It's just sad that, in this day and age, someone of that limited intellectual capacity is electable. But then again, look who Americans put into the highest office twice (if you in fact, believe it wasn't a rigged election).
Charlie Chuckles

Papeete, French Polynesia

#11 Mar 9, 2008
Rick K wrote:
This congresswoman repeatedly says that Oklahoma is a conservative state and that a gay "lifestyle" is risky and deadly. If we're going to be honest...Oklahoma has some of the highest divorce rates in the nation and also high rates of obesity, heart and lung disease. Isn't the body to be regarded as the temple of Christ? Sounds like a matter of a speck in the eye of the one being judged when there's a lumber mill in the one making the judgments.
Yes, her comments SHOULD put her career in jeopardy because her views are antiquated, naive and misinformed. If you are going to get your nose out of joint about homosexuality, you might want to look at some of the other dozens of "sins" on the same footing as stated in "scripture."
Can her claim about the indoctrination of children hold up against the fact that religious parents indoctrinate their children, claiming to save their souls, before the children have any idea of what they are even believing in or worshiping? Shouldn't something as important as what one believes on a spiritual level be reserved for when children are at an age of appropriate discernment and accountability?
Typical puritanical narrow-mindedness. It's just sad that, in this day and age, someone of that limited intellectual capacity is electable. But then again, look who Americans put into the highest office twice (if you in fact, believe it wasn't a rigged election).
Welcome to your brave, new world.
Scott is uneducated

United States

#12 Mar 9, 2008
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean to tell everyone that lives in this Great country that we can't speak our opinion? Don't we still have the constitution, that says we can say what we feel without being pursecuted?
...and you just showed us how big of an idiot you are. why don't you go terminate yourself from your job for your stupidity!
Do not call others idiots, when you haven't finished a fifth grade grammar class yet.

Forget the gays and concentrate on finding an adult literacy class. Maybe if you weren't so obsessed with gays you'd be educated by now.

“Son of Abraham”

Since: Aug 07

Natural Deviant

#13 Mar 9, 2008
Scott wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes we live in a country where even the most feeble minded people are allowed to speak their minds therefor those of us who are better educated are also allowed to speak our minds and tell you exactly what's wrong with your viewpoints.

btw, love this pastor in this article who tells us the Bible tells us exactly what a relationship should consist of. Guess someone needs to clue him in the mos passionate love story in the Bible happens to be between David and Jonathan. Sorry but simple feeble minded narrowness just doesn't cut it anymore.
Kern is an IDIOT

United States

#14 Mar 9, 2008
It is too bad that she can hate her son so much that she lashes out to all who share his sexual orientation. What a contrast between her actions and those of Jesus. Look up John 13 where it says the world will know you are christians by the love you have for one another and see if this even comes close to this standard. Kern is a hypocrite just like most Christians. I wouldn't give you a plugged nickel for them all.
Nathaniel Batchelder

AOL

#15 Mar 9, 2008
Sally Kern's beliefs are unscientific, uncharitable and unchristian. Not one in ten American Christians would agree with her fundamentalist Old Testament judgments. She was born in the wrong millennium.
Jon

Plano, TX

#16 Mar 10, 2008
Sally,

I conducted a little bit of research before writing this letter to you because I want to be fair in what I say.

I live in Texas and when I read the article and saw the video about your comment toward gays, I was sure you were some crackpot or fringe radical conservative.

I was surprised to read that you have a college degree and even more surprised that you are a teacher and chair a legislative committee, are married and have two children, and are a Christian on top of everything.

With that level of education and those credentials, why and how can you hold onto the hatred and prejudice you carry in your heart?

Please seek guidance and reach out to find a way to accept people who are different from yourself. Particularly as an elected official, you owe it to yourself, and more importantly to your constituents, to be fair, impartial and inclusive of all people.

Fairness is not an attitude. It's a professional skill that must be developed and exercised.

The comments you made are beneath you, Sally. I know you are better than that. Stop hiding behind the First Amendment. This is not the time to be a rogue legislator, playing to the fringes of your party. This is your chance to show real leadership and join the call for tolerance and acceptance for all of God's children.
Open Letter

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Mar 10, 2008
An Open Letter to All Supporters of Rep. Kern:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?

i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them?(Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws?(Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
Michael

United States

#18 Mar 10, 2008
As a 55 year old gay man I cannot believe that we are still dealing with the homophobia exhibited by this woman. My goodness, it is 2008 and we are still subjected to the ignorance and hate of her, as well as some of those posting comments. Imagine if what she said was directed at Blacks or Jews. It would not be tolerated for a minute. I am seasoned enought to know that there will always be people who are against homosexuality....just like there are racists and always will be. But we do not have to excuse it.

Since: Feb 08

Del City, OK

#19 Mar 10, 2008
Open Letter wrote:
An Open Letter to All Supporters of Rep. Kern:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific laws and how to best follow them.
a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?
b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
c) I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
d) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?
e) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
f) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?
g) Lev 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
h) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev 19:27. How should they die?
i) I know from Lev 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?
j) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them?(Lev 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws?(Lev. 20:14)
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
There is only one worthy reply to this article:
BRILLIANT!!!
Thank you

Choctaw, OK

#20 Mar 10, 2008
Thank you for having the courage to speak out.
We all have keep silent for to long.
I see gay people hating on my religion all the time.
They show even more hate than any one else in this country.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

News 9 Oklahoma City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Follow Burgess Case From Beginning (Jan '09) Oct 21 Curious 32
The haunted house in Eldorado (Jan '09) Oct 12 Nick 6
Boy shot with arrow leaves hospital (Nov '08) Jul '14 Somebody 22
Infant swim classes teach survival (Apr '08) Jun '14 AHM 76
City says no parking in the yard (Aug '08) Mar '14 WarForOil 24
Lawsuit forms around anti-depressant (Jan '09) Jan '14 Inger 7
Police to crack down on tinted windows (Aug '08) Jan '14 jokes 15

People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE