Carrollton Free Press Standard News | County auditor to present information on real estate tax bi...

Full story: Carrollton Free Press Standard

Commissioner Jeff Ohler said during Monday's meeting he has received numerous questions from residents about the increase in real estate taxes as it relates to oil and gas development.
Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Feb 1, 2014
Archie Bunker

Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2014

Judged:

Van Horne will simply say it is not him. The state has evaluated the land values for CAUV differently. They have severely increased farm land values, and we are not alone. It is happening to the whole state. Someone is getting a whole lot more revenue. It is hard to say where it is going, but definitely the local and state agencies are benefiting. And the school systems want to know why levies don't get passed. Be lucky if Carroll Hills gets another one!

Call your state senator and congressman.

My TAXES on CAUV have more than tripled since 2009! So someone is getting a whole lot more money and giving it away to someone else.
James

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2014

Judged:

I agree Archie. Mine have gone up tremendously. Can you imagine if the school levy passed? Our state and county government is so corruptly abusive.

And nice to have the meeting at a time when the people WHO ARE PAYING THE TAXES ARE WORKING!

Worthless, all of them.
Joseph

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

Judged:

I agree with Archie, Van Horne will pass the blame to someone else and spend the whole meeting deflecting questions until those asking are tired of getting no answer from him. One of the funniest things about this article was that Commissioner Ohler said he did not understand the process. This is the commissioner who asked in open session what a purchase order was after three years of signing them. DUH! Do any of them have a clue what is going on? Could any of the commissioners find their butts with both hands? These are the same three that also closed the courthouse two days because it was cold outside, meanwhile the average county resident went to work at inside or outside jobs. Who is leading this county?
hmmm

Galion, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

Judged:

Well, Our local government has been bought, sold and bought by the oil and gas industry and I have rendered their services to our communities useless. They are so bent on helping the oil and gas, that they are forgetting that this industry is really hurting the locals! I mean the people who have not received royalty checks. Citizens of Carroll County need to wake up and look around! Things are gonna get bad before they are good!
Vince

Dover, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 30, 2014

Judged:

You can bet that the county (at least the workers in the auditors office) are benefiting. What do they care as long as they get paid. It is amazing how many work in that office now, and I assure you the only thing they care about is their paycheck and benefits. They have no knowledge, care or concern what is going on. You can go to anyone of them and NOT ONE can understand the tax bill THEY send you. THEY ARE PART OF THE PROBLEM.
Howdie Do

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2014

Judged:

I don't believe they could locate their butts given a topographic map and a GPS, as thier hands are occupied with one in the cookie jar and one scratching thier head with all the "difficult" questions thrown at them...
Mike

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 31, 2014

Judged:

I know it may seem like piling on, however has anyone ever talked to jeff ohler in person about county affairs? I have and my result has either been that he doesn't have time to listen or pay attention to you or he looks at you with a simple blank stair. I have to think that he has no clue what is going on most of the time. I mean our county government is nothing near competent but he must be the leader of the not understanding. Makes me fear who it is that is really fighting for citizens rights against the gas and oil. The gas and oil leaders have gone all over the country and I am sure can easily confuse our leaders and their stupidity. Who is representing me and my family? Will there be any improvement in the county? Can the gas and oil at the very least bring some stores to town to make citizens lives a little easier so we dont have to got to canton for everything? Is there a chance that a bigger store or two could expand the tax base and at the very least relieve citizens of a little tax burden? Or will the auditor's office get excited and just keep raising taxed? Someone tell our auditor that we are not all millionaires in carroll county and we cannot afford their taxes, new schools, and all the other crap they think of to take our money and give it away for stupid stuff like fake broadband contracts.
Archie Bunker

Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2014

Judged:

Well I'm not going to pile on the commissioners, though I believe they should have known this was coming. When you put signs up at the county lines promoting agriculture and then when tax increases hurt that group you should know about that.

Nothing going to happen here. We can file a reevaluation with the State but this would mean a lot of work by farmers. These rates are based on crop production so we would have to prove lower than stated production levels. The real question for Van Horne would be to tie him down on next year's increases. Also, he is our elected auditor so he needs to be instructed to report back to the state auditor that this tax increase didn't go over so well.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••

Seattle Conditions

(updated 54 min ago)

Weather
Cloudy 80°F
Hi: 86°F
Lo: 62°F
Feels like: 80°F
Visibility: 10 mi

See Tomorrow's Forecast »