Carlsbad man killed in tanker crash

Full story: Carlsbad Current-Argus

A wreck involving two tanker trucks resulted in the death of a Carlsbad man in a head-on collision on the highway between Jal and Carlsbad Thursday evening.
Comments
1 - 20 of 75 Comments Last updated Mar 1, 2012
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Michael

Hobbs, NM

#1 Jan 29, 2011
The citizens have been asking for improvements to this dangerous road for generations. The previous governor felt it was more important to spend $400million on a train from Belen to Santa Fe, meanwhile good people continue to die on HWY 182-Jal Highway.
very sad

Carlsbad, NM

#2 Jan 29, 2011
well said

“Think before you write!”

Since: Nov 08

Carlsbad, NM

#3 Jan 29, 2011
Michael wrote:
The citizens have been asking for improvements to this dangerous road for generations. The previous governor felt it was more important to spend $400million on a train from Belen to Santa Fe, meanwhile good people continue to die on HWY 182-Jal Highway.
From the article:
"For reasons unknown at this time, the two trucks collided head-on on the south side of the roadway after Gonzalez's vehicle was driven left of the center (of the road)," said Hooper. "The force of the collision caused catastrophic damage to both tanker trucks."

How can a road be dangerous? Roads are inherently just sitting there... the danger is in the driver who is inattentive, distracted, driving too fast for conditions, etc. While certainly the reasons here are still TBD, the fact is that a road in itself is not dangerous, but rather the manner in which folks use it.

(my reasons for making this point are not to strike out against "Michael", but rather because in general this is the reasoning used whenever a biker or pedestrian is struck... "they shouldn't be on that 'dangerous road'" is a typical reply, which of course takes redirects the discussion away from the true cause of the accident, which is generally one of the above reasons)
MLE1

Lovington, NM

#4 Jan 29, 2011
Something needs to be done with all of these needless wrecks happening. I know in my SUV that I am scared to death of someone getting into my lane and me going on the shoulder wrecking my truck, especially when I have my children due to the road not being wide enough, the wind or the driver of ANY truck accidently going over towards on in my lane of traffic. These comanies needto allow for their drivers to get some rest instead of always wanting their employee to go to the last bit of energy is used up and they are exhausted. It seems that these companies do not care about lives of these drivers and it is cheaper to allow them to get some sleep because these lives are priceless, at least to me they are.

I am sorry for the wreck and the aftermath.

I hope the patient stops bleeding and the other RIP. It is not only the truck drivers, but contractors. One contractor almost hit us head on going over the speed limit to one of the mines. Too many people think it wont happen to them, and not realize the MORE they travel down the road, the MORE RISK of getting killed is increased because they are in a hurry or have so much more on their minds.
very sad

Carlsbad, NM

#5 Jan 29, 2011
WOW CANT DISAGREE WITH THAT ONE EITHER. When in a big water truck that road slaps you all over it even when slowing down to a very slow speed. I dont know what the solution would be, But, I have to make a living, so I guess I will just keep my faith in God, and know he will keep me safe
Dexter

Alto, NM

#6 Jan 29, 2011
Having driven this road in excess of 600,000 miles, I feel excess speed is a major problem, especially where the road has not been widened. I have had many near misses.
Worker

Carlsbad, NM

#7 Jan 29, 2011
Yes, better roads are needed. I hope that neither of these men hadn't been pushed to too much OT. This happens a lot with truck drivers.
valeria alvarado

United States

#8 Jan 29, 2011
my step dad walberto went into sugery this morning he will need many more and he is still in critical condition.. thanks to all who have been praying for him and wanting him to get better
ted bundy

Carlsbad, NM

#9 Jan 29, 2011
Michael wrote:
btw, jal hwy is 128.
agreed

Waxahachie, TX

#10 Jan 29, 2011
Worker wrote:
Yes, better roads are needed. I hope that neither of these men hadn't been pushed to too much OT. This happens a lot with truck drivers.
Heard the driver that died had fallen asleep. You are correct, some of the trucking do "push too much". But still, I am hoping that this accident will awaken others that drivers DO need sufficient rest between days.
Worker

Carlsbad, NM

#11 Jan 29, 2011
valeria alvarado wrote:
my step dad walberto went into sugery this morning he will need many more and he is still in critical condition.. thanks to all who have been praying for him and wanting him to get better
Prayers to him and your family. Please keep us posted. Your familiy is in all of our thoughts.
chavez

Carlsbad, NM

#12 Jan 29, 2011
agreed wrote:
<quoted text>
Heard the driver that died had fallen asleep. You are correct, some of the trucking do "push too much". But still, I am hoping that this accident will awaken others that drivers DO need sufficient rest between days.
is this same gut that were burglarizing a vending machine at a motel on national parks highway about 1 year ago??
chavez

Carlsbad, NM

#13 Jan 29, 2011
that name rang like i remember maybe im wrong if i am i apologixe, but i dont thnk so
valeria alvarado

United States

#14 Jan 29, 2011
my stepdad walberto gonzalez as i said went to surgery this morning.. he has many broken bones and cuts but the worst part is tht his organs were moved from when the gear change stick punctured his stomach.. we love you walberto and we your family are waiting for you
ur shallow

Carlsbad, NM

#15 Jan 29, 2011
chavez wrote:
that name rang like i remember maybe im wrong if i am i apologixe, but i dont thnk so
do u think it rlly matters if it was the same guy? y r u tryin 2 bring up sum1s history wen it has no relivance 2 this accident anyways?? thats low man!!!
Worker

Carlsbad, NM

#16 Jan 29, 2011
valeria alvarado wrote:
my stepdad walberto gonzalez as i said went to surgery this morning.. he has many broken bones and cuts but the worst part is tht his organs were moved from when the gear change stick punctured his stomach.. we love you walberto and we your family are waiting for you
God Bless him. Praying for a speedy recovery.
traveler

Midland, TX

#17 Jan 29, 2011
Michael wrote:
This highway has been completed and is a really good highway now. Sounds like a heartattack.
re-read paper

Carlsbad, NM

#18 Jan 29, 2011
agreed wrote:
<quoted text>
"For reasons unknown at this time, the two trucks collided head-on on the south side of the roadway after Gonzalez's vehicle was driven left of the center (of the road)," said Hooper. "The force of the collision caused catastrophic damage to both tanker trucks."

looks like Gonzalez fell asleep...
best wishes

Carlsbad, NM

#19 Jan 29, 2011
valeria alvarado wrote:
My prayers go out to your stepfather, you, your family, and friends of Walberto. I hope he recovers soon.
miller time

Carlsbad, NM

#20 Jan 29, 2011
There was another wreck on Mckittrick..It was a tanker truck and person was trapped in it? Does anyone know who this person worked for or how they are doing?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Carlsbad Current-Argus Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
March to FLETC in support of undocumented immig... 8 hr Confucius 201
Coach allegedly molested teen 9 hr Old Manriver 67
Equipment worth $40k stolen from Carlsbad work ... 17 hr Yeah Right 3
Carlsbad: Mistrial declared in Curtis Jones case (Feb '13) Wed Pfaffy 9
Snake sightings on the rise, including more ven... Wed Pfaffy 6
Carlsbad teacher charged with touching female s... Aug 26 Earl Pitts 69
Police investigating shooting at Tia Maria Apar... Aug 26 SouthNMOil 49
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••