'Why Chinese Mothers are Superior' article hits a sensitive nerve among Asians

Jan 11, 2011 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Oregonian

My friend had barely greeted me Sunday when she said, "Have you seen the Chinese moms story?" Between the two of us, we have five kids -- and yes, we're both of Chinese descent.

Comments (Page 3)

Showing posts 41 - 52 of52
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Bob Burns

Kunming, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2011

Judged:

What a joke! Loony dim libs trying to put the best face on their feel-good BS "strategy" that produces only losers. Fact check. Which kids are always in the top 10% in US colleges? Chinese! Liberals killed America. The Chinese Way may eventually save it
Diversity

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2011

Bob Burns wrote:
What a joke! Loony dim libs trying to put the best face on their feel-good BS "strategy" that produces only losers. Fact check. Which kids are always in the top 10% in US colleges? Chinese! Liberals killed America. The Chinese Way may eventually save it
Well, yes, most liberals don't like Asians only when it suit their agenda.

Well, if America doesn't get its act together, China might eat this country alive including those looney libbies with their jive talk.
smallville

Shanghai, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2011

Her two daughters are half Jewish and raised as "Jewish". Ask the Jew.

End of discussion.
smallville

Shanghai, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2011

Diversity wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, yes, most liberals don't like Asians only when it suit their agenda.
Well, if America doesn't get its act together, China might eat this country alive including those looney libbies with their jive talk.
In fact you are already in the stomach of Jew. Jew Bernanke is busying printing money.
Diversity

Kansas City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2011

smallville wrote:
<quoted text>
In fact you are already in the stomach of Jew. Jew Bernanke is busying printing money.
This is the reason why America will be eaten alive by China. What do you think? Who will be eaten, America or China?
Diversity

Kansas City, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2011

America owes money to China. What can the liberals do?

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2011

They will print money pay off the debt and cause inflation! Why cause inflation, to make American good cheaper therefore increasing export at eh same time as a price of bread with quadruple it could also cause real estate prices to increase, causing less to be upside down.

Your not giving these Wharton, Harvard , Stanford etc MBA's enough credit, you really think they don't know the outcomes of certain actions?

This whole meltdown things was part of a master-plan, the puppet makers knowing every move and reaction, so far their plan is working perfectly.

Many of us before this all blew up already knew this, although everyone else laughed us out of the room as conspiracy nuts, well the laughs now on the public!
Diversity wrote:
<quoted text>
This is the reason why America will be eaten alive by China. What do you think? Who will be eaten, America or China?
Diversity

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 25, 2011

J_a_n wrote:
They will print money pay off the debt and cause inflation! Why cause inflation, to make American good cheaper therefore increasing export at eh same time as a price of bread with quadruple it could also cause real estate prices to increase, causing less to be upside down.
Your not giving these Wharton, Harvard , Stanford etc MBA's enough credit, you really think they don't know the outcomes of certain actions?
This whole meltdown things was part of a master-plan, the puppet makers knowing every move and reaction, so far their plan is working perfectly.
Many of us before this all blew up already knew this, although everyone else laughed us out of the room as conspiracy nuts, well the laughs now on the public!
<quoted text>
Is anarchy a good start? I'm sure people will wake up one day and when they do, start the chaos. How will these elites benefit when most people in America will suffer? Just a note, Europe isn't all the different too.
Jan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

They benefit like any third world country does, the right become richer and the poor become poorer.

The richest man in the world is in Mexico, the country were dirt floors and no running water are not uncommon. Same with China today, make billions off the backs of cheap labor.
Diversity wrote:
<quoted text>
Is anarchy a good start? I'm sure people will wake up one day and when they do, start the chaos. How will these elites benefit when most people in America will suffer? Just a note, Europe isn't all the different too.
Prosperity

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

There certainly needs to be equilibrium between the ‘western’ and ‘eastern’ parenting. Some of the statements Chua makes I find difficult to digest and often unacceptable. However, I cannot help but agree with much of what she has to say…

Parents who teach their child a second language or even, if they can, send them to a Montessori as a youngster are giving a valuable gift to their children. However, far too many children are leaving education without a second language. I don’t agree that the piano and the violin are the only musical instruments an accomplished person should play. However, being musical is another amazing gift a parent can pave the path to. It’s all well in saying an interested child could choose to play an instrument for themselves when they’re ready, but few children these days will actually have the desire, let alone the patience to learn an instrument without parental intervention. Chua’s view of performing arts I don’t agree with. A child who can dance, sing and act is certainly opening more doors for themselves. I would encourage dancing of some kind, even as a hobby. It beats Facebook as a main hobby. Chua points out that the western tradition has become completely reliant on school education for all teaching, and parenting becomes about making them happy, save for the odd piece of homework.

I think people would benefit from taking a leaf out of this book rather than rejecting it because of some of the more radical statements. People need to realise that as important as a child’s emotional development is, how happy their childhood was doesn’t fare well alone on a CV.“It doesn’t matter, as long as you try” doesn’t boost self-esteem either. Like Chua said, nothing is better for boosting self-esteem than thinking you can’t do something and then finding that you can. Parents are too scared of upsetting their children - although I would permit a break. It helps the brain adjust.

Letting children be throughout their entire childhood is detrimental. Doing absolutely nothing and having hours of careless fun are important as they have been for me personally, but pushing a child academically and introducing them to a wider range of hobbies and interests doesn’t need to compromise having a childhood.
Claiming that a child may not want to be pushed in a certain direction is unfair. Suppose they do, then valuable gifts, impetus and learning they might have grasped growing up need to be obtained themselves because their parents assumed they might not be capable of it or weren't willing to put in the effort. I’ve grown up with many intelligent people who if their parents were enthusiastic about their learning and personal accomplishment, could have been more successful than they are. But there parents are fine,“as long as they’re happyŁ, which is debateable.

Whether people like it or not, success in adult life is largely based on academic achievement. The most prestigious universities are inundated with grade A students, but hobbies and interests are also crucial and more often than not down to the parent rather than the child or school. Playing Xbox and hanging out with friends on a Saturday night compared to a second language and playing the clarinet… I know which child I would enrol.
smallville

Shanghai, China

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 1, 2011

Again. It is not about western and eastern. It is about semitic, Jewish. Her two daughters were raised as Jew. Nothing to do with China. Go and ask Rabbi how to raise Jew kids. Are we clear?

If you check the interview of Chua, you will find even the reporter was a Jew. It is about Jewish medias promote Jewish education.
Prosperity

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

I agree with that. I read that their father is Jewish and knowing quite a bit about raising children the Jewish way (which is much deeper than just academic achievement alone), this did come to mind so it makes sense to see that it's so. This is why I put western and eastern in commas. I still believe there needs to be a balance between Chua's method and the over-protective liberal approach by others, whatever it's labelled as.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 41 - 52 of52
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Asa, Sweden Discussions

Search the Asa, Sweden Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Body odor, Asians, and earwax (Oct '10) Apr 12 Ainu 25
Dare to Ask: Do Native Americans have facial an... (Sep '09) Jan '14 Real Truth 104
Train system's 'yellow line' angers Asians | Th... (Feb '10) Jan '13 Can you believe he said 65
Lauderhill symbolic of changing demographics in... (Dec '07) Aug '12 str8upknowledge 23
The shame Japan can't dodge (Mar '07) Aug '12 Vivek Golikeri 55
Asian Americans: No Longer Silent (Oct '08) Feb '12 TheJazuma 14
Ohio.com - Racial makeup changes in Ohio (Aug '07) Feb '12 Diogenes 48
•••
•••
•••
•••