Minor Quake Rattles Louisa County - NBC29 WVIR Charlottesville, VA News, Sports and Weather

Louisa County has been rattled by another minor earthquake. The U.S. Geological Survey says the 2.4-magnitude earthquake occurred around 12:43 a.m. Tuesday. Full Story
Gru

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jul 31, 2012
Well, THAT explains why the farm animals were all fussy this morning . . .
heh

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jul 31, 2012
Gru wrote:
Well, THAT explains why the farm animals were all fussy this morning ...
me too
Melissa

Barnesville, OH

#3 Jul 31, 2012
When do they stop being aftershocks and start being their own earthquake? I mean it has been almost a year.
WOW

United States

#4 Jul 31, 2012
Well being from So Cal the town can shake for years and even have a aftershock just as strong as the earthquake so just make sure your ready so your not caught off guard next time we have one
Frank

Waynesboro, VA

#5 Jul 31, 2012
So was this a aftershock, or a earthquake?
nervous

Rocky Mount, VA

#6 Jul 31, 2012
all the weird things that have happened lately makes me sure that the planet really is in turmoil.
Mitt Romney

Nokesville, VA

#7 Jul 31, 2012
I'm an authority on earthquakes so let me answer your questions. First, an aftershock is an aftershock until another aftershock occurs. Earthquakes occur only once unless the earthquake quakes the earth longer than an aftershock which then makes it a fore shock. Fore shock's, middle shocks and shock absorbers are usually found in the frozen food section of your local hen house. I hope I have helped you all!

Romney/Eartha Quake 3321
WOW

United States

#8 Jul 31, 2012
Mitt Romney wrote:
I'm an authority on earthquakes so let me answer your questions. First, an aftershock is an aftershock until another aftershock occurs. Earthquakes occur only once unless the earthquake quakes the earth longer than an aftershock which then makes it a fore shock. Fore shock's, middle shocks and shock absorbers are usually found in the frozen food section of your local hen house. I hope I have helped you all!
Romney/Eartha Quake 3321
What?lol.... ok if that's what you say.almost right
s gomez

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jul 31, 2012
i work a rotating shift job in charlottesville, and a little after midnight, i felt something minor. i thought it was nothing, except i clearly heard my plate on the table rattle. wow! i was on site during the initial quake a year ago too!
Dude

Bumpass, VA

#10 Jul 31, 2012
Frank wrote:
So was this a aftershock, or a earthquake?
LOL, both. I don't know, but here's some good reading
http://live.washingtonpost.com/japan-aftersho...

http://www.cmth.ph.ic.ac.uk/people/k.christen...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftershock

It appears that a "short period of time" is subjective to time itself.
sville

Hillsville, VA

#11 Jul 31, 2012
earthquakes, Derecho, Microburst, Tornado Iam just waiting for a Volcano to come out of the ground and erupt. Will the world end December 21 2012???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geology Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
4.2 Magnitude Earthquake Shakes Near Guthrie 3 hr Dan 1
Southwest's Earthquake Spike Linked to Injectio... 3 hr go figger 1
Small earthquake rattles Northern California 19 hr Faridmuti 1
Earthquake: 3.1 quake strikes San Jacinto, Calif. Sun Kelly 1
Small earthquake rattles Northern California Sun him 1
Astrophysicist Invents a $110 Earthquake Warnin... Sun her 1
Irish company optimistic about oil discovery (Dec '12) Sun SallySam 2
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••