Venus brightest in evening sky late April and early May

Apr 29, 2012 | Posted by: Manny Gt | Full story: earthsky.org

If you've been watching the north western sky after sunset, then you have seen the planet Venus.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
KJR

Citrus Heights, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2012

Judged:

Venus is a little farther north than I usually see it at this time of year. It's also much bigger and brighter than I have ever seen it before. At first I thought it was a huge UFO, but when I realized that it was not moving much (other than the appeared movements caused by the rotation of the Earth) I then realized that it had to be Venus.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2012

I always mistake it for another star.

“When I Rest... I Rust ”

Since: Apr 07

SacTown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2012

The planets in our solar system look like stars, so it is difficult to differentiate between the two. The brightest, not biggest, star in our northern skies is apparently Sirius. It's one of the dog stars in Canis Major, which follows the constellation Orion the Hunter.

I love viewing this during the winter months.

http://astrobob.areavoices.com/2012/01/28/the...

“M.A....Rise”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Venus is so big this year, even todays the risin of venus at dawn time, it looks very big too

“M.A....Rise”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 9, 2012

Manny Gt wrote:
The planets in our solar system look like stars, so it is difficult to differentiate between the two. The brightest, not biggest, star in our northern skies is apparently Sirius. It's one of the dog stars in Canis Major, which follows the constellation Orion the Hunter.
I love viewing this during the winter months.
http://astrobob.areavoices.com/2012/01/28/the...
Bigger objects or stars in our sky:

Venus

Juipter

Sirius

“When I Rest... I Rust ”

SacTown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 10, 2012

Yes, Venus is very bright in the early morning sky. Jupiter can easily be seen just above Venus this month. And slowly approaching the two is the crescent(third quarter) moon.

This triple conjuction framing the moon with Venus and Jupiter, is enhanced by the surrounding of about half a dozen first magnitude stars... a beautiful sight indeed.

“M.A....Rise”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 11, 2012

Manny Gt wrote:
Yes, Venus is very bright in the early morning sky. Jupiter can easily be seen just above Venus this month. And slowly approaching the two is the crescent(third quarter) moon.
This triple conjuction framing the moon with Venus and Jupiter, is enhanced by the surrounding of about half a dozen first magnitude stars... a beautiful sight indeed.
its very amazing sight :) i enjoy staring at it

do you have a telescope?

“When I Rest... I Rust ”

SacTown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 15, 2012

I owned a nice pair of binoculars, but I have not yet invested in a good scope.

When I do, I will make sure that it is geared towards astro-photography :)

“M.A....Rise”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 16, 2012

ok, its better to stay away from newtonian scopes cuz i have one and its boring....heavy and big and need lot of focous,fixing angles too boring need lot of free of time
Manny Gt

Roseville, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2012

That's good to know.

I've heard some good reviews regarding the Intelliscope-dobsonians from Orion. In particular, the XT8i telescopes.

What type of newtonian do you have.

“M.A....Rise”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2012

Manny Gt wrote:
That's good to know.
I've heard some good reviews regarding the Intelliscope-dobsonians from Orion. In particular, the XT8i telescopes.
What type of newtonian do you have.
i have local assembled device,its probably chinese equipments

its six inch newtonian with german mount EQ3,i have used it for few times, only saw planets and moon and stars brighter than we see by naked eye, im looking to see to galaxies, i only use one eyepiece 15mm, have to buy more eyepieces for better sight

i was going to buy a telescope from orion but the price will be doubled due to customs and shipping

“M.A....Rise”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2012

are binoculars good for watching the moving nighty objects?

“When I Rest... I Rust ”

SacTown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 21, 2012

I apologize for the delay, have other things going on right now.
Egyptian_lad wrote:
i was going to buy a telescope from orion but the price will be doubled due to customs and shipping
Bummer!
are binoculars good for watching the moving nighty objects?
A low powered/wide viewing angle pair, say about (7x50mm) would work good.

The pair I had were of high power (20x50mm). At this range it is best to use a tripod in order to keep the objects being viewed... "stable". With the naked eye I could not see the Andromeda galaxy, with binoculars I could. With the naked eye I could only see about 5 stars in the Plaidese open cluster, with binoculars well over 10 stars. With the naked eye I saw only Jupiter, with binoculars it was Jupiter and about ten of its moons.

The best for me was sharper details of the moon's mares and impact craters. Binoculars are excellant for the beginner who is interested in moving up to a telescope.

Have you looked into building your own telescope, in order to cut down on the cost of buying one already assembled?

“M.A....Rise”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2012

Manny Gt wrote:
I apologize for the delay, have other things going on right now.
<quoted text>
Bummer!
<quoted text>
A low powered/wide viewing angle pair, say about (7x50mm) would work good.
The pair I had were of high power (20x50mm). At this range it is best to use a tripod in order to keep the objects being viewed... "stable". With the naked eye I could not see the Andromeda galaxy, with binoculars I could. With the naked eye I could only see about 5 stars in the Plaidese open cluster, with binoculars well over 10 stars. With the naked eye I saw only Jupiter, with binoculars it was Jupiter and about ten of its moons.
The best for me was sharper details of the moon's mares and impact craters. Binoculars are excellant for the beginner who is interested in moving up to a telescope.
Have you looked into building your own telescope, in order to cut down on the cost of buying one already assembled?
no problem

nice, im interested to buy binocular cuz i sometimes see moving objects in night sky

No i didnt try to focous on building or any place by daytime as its warned to use it in hot weather, we have lot of heat on those days, im going to discover more of it, i only used my telescope two times LOL

On friday, im going to use my telescope all night :D

Yesterday, i was in a place in desert runnin by bus at midnight, Wow amazing scene!!!!! the stars look very close to the earth, Venus was so big!

Pleaidese stars were bright and appeared clear,the amazing orion belt was rising from east with very nice looking

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 14 of14
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••