Prominent Southern Bapist minister survives ouster attempt

Members of a Southern Baptist megachurch have voted by a nearly 4-to-1 margin to keep their prominent pastor, despite allegations that he misspent church funds. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Hooter Johnson

Linden, TN

#45 Oct 30, 2007
It's 2007 and "church" is over. Sunday is just too precious to waste at those institutions of judgement and hypocrisy.

“Tullahoma--my new home”

Since: Oct 07

Knoxville, TN

#46 Oct 30, 2007
Power and Control wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a deceptive method in which they presented and voted on the elders. It was done with a lot of behind the door political based moves.(Quote shortened for the sake of brevity)
Doesn't this remind you of our local governments in general?
No Trust

Clifton, TN

#47 Oct 30, 2007
Bout time wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't this remind you of our local governments in general?
Exactly. Thank you for the feedback. it is a lot of closed door stuff. You can't trust government officials or church leaders to be up front and honest.
Religion vs Jesus

Linden, TN

#48 Oct 30, 2007
If you are tired of religion try Jesus for a change.
Atheist Alcoholic

Knoxville, TN

#49 Oct 30, 2007
Wow. I was thinking of going to church this Sunday, but after this discussion, I think I'll head back down to Barley's and knock back a few more beers. The people are a heck of a lot nicer.
Holy Crap

Parsons, TN

#50 Oct 31, 2007
I am going to dress up as a Baptist Minister tonight for Halloween and see if I can get me some of that action they are always getting. Any married women out there interested in a little healing action?
High N Mighty

Parsons, TN

#51 Nov 1, 2007
Attention to everyone on here that defended the incompetent leadership at Bridgewater Church. They are selling the building and the property to pay the debts off. Anyone interested in buying a church building? It is zoned residential so an nice apartment complex would fit great there.
Cyndi Smith

Knoxville, TN

#52 Nov 11, 2007
I shouldn't even make a remark however.. I am. I never "defended" the leadership of Bridgewater. I believe that there were many major issues that were never addressed and when the "inappropiate relationship" thing happened (a symptom of the underlying canyons in OUR foundation as a church)... we found that what we thought we were.. we weren't. This didn't have to be like this, it wasn't the "Pastor who drove a stake through the heart of Bridgewater"... it was bitterness, unforgivness and an unwillingness to accept one's own responsibility in the healing of God's church- not one man's church (if it was that then it was because we all accepted it and let it happen).
Every bit of all of this could have been Bridgewater's defining moment, our legacy. Instead, those who left... are on the road to healing... others, just beginning to have their eyes opened.
This is my opinion, and you know what... it does matter. The focus has got to change from others to self. We all had a part in the rise and fall of Bridgewater (some more than others) BUT... it's time to take up the cross and move ahead willing to heal and forgive (not for anyone but yourself - you have to or it will destroy you). I am not intending to be preachy or in any way judgmental(Lord knows I don't want to be judged - I always learn the hard way)... I am just passing on what I have had to do myself. Maybe it looks different to everyone but I am at peace. Forgiveness and change work from whatever perspective you start from.
Cyndi Smith

Knoxville, TN

#53 Nov 11, 2007
Religion vs Jesus wrote:
If you are tired of religion try Jesus for a change.
Wow! enough said.

“God's Wisdom is in the Cross”

Since: Apr 07

New Jerusalem

#54 Nov 14, 2007
Moose wrote:
Another reason I, as a Christian, avoid all denominations.
Which makes you a denomination of ONE. <wink>
Child of God

Knoxville, TN

#55 Nov 16, 2007
Oh how the Soveriegn, Holy, Righteous, Just, Supreme God must weep. Do you know Him at all? I agree with Religion vs. Jesus. It's not about a denomination, a building, church group or leaders. It is about whether or not you have a personal relationship with Jesus. I can only pray that those who have written & read all the negative comments & gossip will turn their computer off and open God's Holy Word. Instead of listening to what sinful men & women have said, listen to God, who allowed His Son Jesus to die in your place so you could know Him and know truth. And as Jesus once said "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
We Are the Body of Christ

Knoxville, TN

#57 Nov 20, 2007
"Confuse the wicked, O Lord, confound their speech, for I see violence and strife in the city. Day and night they prowl about on its walls; malice and abuse are within it. Destructive forces are at work in the city; threats and lies never leave its streets.

If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were raising himself against me, I could hide from him. But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship as we walked with the throng at the house of God." (Psalm 55:9-14)

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. Get rid of all BITTERNESS, rage and anger, brawling and SLANDER, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you." (Ephesians 4:29-32)

There's obviously a lot of bitterness here, and I'm sorry it has such a hold on some people. However, we are the body of Christ, no matter what fellowship we are apart of. The Bible NEVER makes slander an ok thing to do, especially when it's about our brothers and sisters in Christ. Christ's commandment to us was to love Him with all our hearts, soul, mind and strength, and to love others as ourselves. It's all about a love relationship with Him, and none of this other stuff matters. I really hate the "Jesus" this blog is portraying to the lost.

"We love God because He first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, who he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. And he has given us this command: Whoever loves God must also love his brother." (I John 4:19-21)
James Prophet of Yeshua

Franklin, TN

#58 Nov 20, 2007
Thus says the Lord God Almighty Paul like his father Satan is a liar and the truth is not in him. All who follow after him will fall into darkness and parish.

I AM the way the truth and the Life NO MAN comes unto the Father but by ME. I am the only way to salvation not any other.

I have called you as brothers and sisters unto me never to seek to lord it over one another as do the gentiles but instead to love one another as I LOVE you.

There is but one head on my fellowship and that is me and I will have no others to stand in my place. For I am and always will be. My Father has sent you His Holy Spirit to teach you all things and to bring into your remembrance all that I have taught you. He is the only incorruptibles teacher, leader and comforter you will ever have. Learn to trust in his guidance and in his teachings.

Forgive and you will be forgiven. Forgive not and neither will you be forgiven your sins.

James a Prophet of Yeshua Ha'Mashiach
http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/james

New Jerusalem

#59 Nov 24, 2007
OK... who left the Zoo open?
Northstar Member

Smyrna, TN

#60 Jan 5, 2008
We visited NorthStar, it's a Baptist church. They try not to be Baptist but when the Praise and Worship music started (with drums, electric guitar and the band) and everyone stood there like statues and did not actually "worship" it was obvious they are Baptist. It drove me crazy. How can you play Chris Tomlin, Lincoln Brewster and others and stand still and not clap, raise your hands or move at all. Oh, they are Baptist.

Guess our church doesn't fit everyone but it fits me just fine. Of course if you go with the attitude that you are not going to like it because it might be Baptist then I guess you might have a hard time finding a place... Just a thought
GRANDMOTHER OF 9

Orlando, FL

#61 Jan 7, 2008
AMEN! AND AMEN!

New Jerusalem

#62 Jan 10, 2008
Northstar Member wrote:
We visited NorthStar, it's a Baptist church. They try not to be Baptist but when the Praise and Worship music started (with drums, electric guitar and the band) and everyone stood there like statues and did not actually "worship" it was obvious they are Baptist. It drove me crazy. How can you play Chris Tomlin, Lincoln Brewster and others and stand still and not clap, raise your hands or move at all...
I pastor within a SBC Church. Previous to that I was a Worship Leader with several different Churches; Calvary Chapels, Foursquare, AoG, etc.- they ALL have some standard of worship format they will and will not accept.

One thing I soon began to realize in leading various worship bands/groups is often-times it can become more about the performers than than One to whom they are supposed to be "leading" others to worship.
Without realizing it perhaps, YOU demonstrated this very point when you stated "How can you play Chris Tomlin, Lincoln Brewster and others and stand still and not clap, raise your hands or move at all". I suspect that those who simply stood there did so rather than walking out as a sign of respect to the Pastor. Worship should never in the least be about the persons leading it... that was Lucifer's mistake.
And form & fashion IS very important, to God, if no-one else. Read the story of what became of two prominent worship leaders who willfully ignored this fact in Lev. 10:1-3. THEY WERE CONSUMED BY FIRE.

No, we may not always agree on some things which seem archaic to us; but we must learn to genuinely RESPECT that fellowship's right to worship God reverently as they deem fit, and limit our criticism to that which is patently un-Biblical.
In the end: It is it's acceptability to GOD and not us which is what matters most.[Nu 3:4; 26:61]
Worship musicians need to remember: God is a JEALOUS God. And when at any time someone else assumes center-stage in such a manner as to bring attention unto themselves... they are in grave danger.

"I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images." [Isa 42:8 KJV]
Knox County Native

Paducah, KY

#63 Jan 11, 2008
High N Mighty wrote:
Attention to everyone on here that defended the incompetent leadership at Bridgewater Church. They are selling the building and the property to pay the debts off. Anyone interested in buying a church building? It is zoned residential so an nice apartment complex would fit great there.
FYI: Bridgewater Baptist Church was seeking approval to be zoned commercial. I believe they got it before I moved my membership. Any car dealers need a place to run a business?
Iwastheresoiknow

Knoxville, TN

#64 Aug 20, 2011
Todd Stewart was a youth minister at Grace and did use his authority as a youth minister to take advantage of teen girls. This is a fact I could swear to in court because I witnessed it and when he and his parents were confronted they admitted it. Todd left the church shortly after that with fanfare praising him for the wonderful job he had done as a youth minister. I find it very disturbing that he continues to work for his dad at Grace Baptist. Mr. Todd Stewart needs to get a real job and stop living on the coat tails of his father and the good people of Grace Baptist Church.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Southern Baptist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What Divides Catholics and Protestants? (Apr '08) 6 hr kent 83,903
Why do Southern Baptists dislike Catholics? (Feb '10) Dec 16 NingNang 111
Southern Baptist Convention Compromises Improvi... Nov '14 REVAVERY 2
Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on gays Oct '14 Fundiementally ill 3
Southern Baptists tell pastors: hold line on gays Oct '14 RalphB 21
Southern Baptists change their tone but not the... Oct '14 SDO 1
Pastor & Tithing (Nov '08) Oct '14 Insider21 27
More from around the web