Did Jesus Christ only come to save Jews and not Gentiles.

Posted in the Seventh-day Adventist Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
SDAdventist

Fort Myers, FL

#1 Oct 8, 2008
Luke 4:14-21 "And Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit into Galilee: and there went out a fame of him through all the region round about. And He taught in their synagogues, being glorified of all. And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath Day, and stood up for to read. And there was delivered unto Him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when He had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He hath anointed Me to preach the gospel to the poor; He hath sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of the Lord. And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. And he began to say unto them, this day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears."

Hence we see that when Jesus customarily went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, he didn't go as a Jew, on behalf of the Jewish nation, but as the Son of man, as the second Adam, representing the entire race to God.

This particular Sabbath Day, Jesus declared Himself to be, the long awaited for Messiah to Israel according to the prophecies in Isaiah. The Father Anointed Him, making Him Messiah, and the Father sent Him, making Him the Holy Apostle of our Faith. See Hebrews 3:1

We shall see the role of Sabbath relative to the Gentiles, now that Messiah had come. Acts 13:40-52 "Beware therefore, lest that come upon you, which is spoken of in the prophets; Behold, ye despisers, and wonder, and perish: for I work a work in your days, a work which ye shall in no wise believe, though a man declare it unto you. And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next Sabbath. Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. And the next Sabbath Day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God. But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming. Then Paul and Barnabas waxed bold, and said, it was necessary that the word of God should first have been spoken to you: but seeing ye put it from you, and judge yourselves unworthy of everlasting life, lo, we turn to the Gentiles. For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth. And when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad, and glorified the word of the Lord: and as many as were ordained to eternal life believed. And the word of the Lord was published throughout all the region. But the Jews stirred up the devout and honourable women, and the chief men of the city, and raised persecution against Paul and Barnabas, and expelled them out of their coasts. But they shook off the dust of their feet against them, and came unto Iconium. And the disciples were filled with joy, and with the Holy Ghost."

Many Adventist use verses in Acts 13:42-44 to confirm the truth, that Gentiles after their conversion to Christ, kept the Seventh Day holy. But you also have to look at the surrounding verses referenced from the prophecies of Isaiah to show that it was foretold of the Gentiles worshipping on the Sabbath after Messiah had brought His Salvation. This event was in fulfillment of many Old Testament prophecies:
SDAdventist

Fort Myers, FL

#2 Oct 8, 2008
Isaiah 49:6-9 "And he said, It is a light thing that thou shouldest be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel: I will also give thee for a light to the Gentiles, that thou mayest be my salvation unto the end of the earth. Thus saith the Lord, the Redeemer of Israel, and his Holy One, to him whom man despiseth, to him whom the nation abhorreth, to a servant of rulers, Kings shall see and arise, princes also shall worship, because of the Lord that is faithful, and the Holy One of Israel He shall choose thee. Thus saith the Lord, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages; That thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go forth; to them that are in darkness, shew yourselves. They shall feed in the ways, and their pastures shall be in all high places."

Clearly, Jesus desired His gospel to go out to all nations, to lighten them that sit in darkness, and thank God, that His light has shone upon Gentiles (strangers).
SDAdventist

Fort Myers, FL

#3 Oct 8, 2008
Isaiah 61:1-3 "The Spirit of the Lord God is upon me; because the Lord hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all that mourn; To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the Lord, that he might be glorified."

This is the context Jesus quoted in Luke 4:16 on the Holy Sabbath, proclaiming Himself as the Messiah. Please note the reference to the opening of the prison. The deliverance to the captives, and liberty to them that are bruised was to be preached to the Gentiles after the disciples had first preached to Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria (formerly the northern kingdom), and then to the uttermost parts of the earth. See Acts 1:8. These Messianic verses clearly point to the fact that Jesus did not come to change His Commandments, to benefit the Gentiles, but that He would rule them the same way as He did the Jews, as their God, and they as His people, obedient to His law.
SDAdventist

Fort Myers, FL

#4 Oct 8, 2008
Isaiah 56:1-7 "Thus saith the Lord, Keep ye judgment, and do justice: for My salvation is near to come, and My righteousness to be revealed. Blessed is the man that doeth this, and the son of man that layeth hold on it; that keepeth the Sabbath from polluting it, and keepeth his hand from doing any evil. Neither let the son of the stranger, that hath joined himself to the Lord, speak, saying, The Lord hath utterly separated me from his people: neither let the eunuch say, Behold, I am a dry tree. For thus saith the Lord unto the eunuchs that keep my Sabbaths, and choose the things that please me, and take hold of my covenant; Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off. Also the sons of the stranger, that join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him, and to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants, every one that keepeth the Sabbath from polluting it, and taketh hold of My covenant; Even them will I bring to my holy mountain, and make them joyful in my house of prayer: their burnt offerings and their sacrifices shall be accepted upon mine altar; for mine house shall be called an house of prayer for all people."

This fulfillment was first introduced in Nazareth , by the Messiah, and then was preached in the temple in Jerusalem. Jesus proclaims Himself Messiah first to His own, and His own (the House of Israel) received Him not. But to as many as received Him (both Jews and Greeks/Gentiles-by Faith), to them gave He power to become the sons and daughters of God.
Paul from California

San Jose, CA

#5 Oct 8, 2008
Yes, the Old Testament points to Christ

And God reveals the mystery of His hardening
the Jews for the sake of saving the Gentiles

Rom 11-25

For I do not desire, brether, that you should
be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion,

that the hardeding in part has happened to Israel
until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in

And so All Israel will be saved as it is written

Paul

Since: Aug 08

Ramat Gan, Israel

#6 Oct 12, 2008
Paul from California wrote:
Yes, the Old Testament points to Christ
And God reveals the mystery of His hardening
the Jews for the sake of saving the Gentiles
Rom 11-25
For I do not desire, brether, that you should
be ignorant of this mystery, lest you should be wise in your own opinion,
that the hardeding in part has happened to Israel
until the fullness of the Gentiles has come in
And so All Israel will be saved as it is written
Paul
++++++++++

First of all, the name is not "Old Testament." It's Tanach, or Hebrew Scriptures. "Old Testament"
is a perjorative expression tha justifies
Replacement Theology, which means Antisemitism. It
started with Paul in Galatians 4:21-31.

If at the end all Israel will be saved why Paul never left the Jews alone? 98 percent of his work was among the Jews. Isn't it a contradiction to his statement that all Israel will anyway be saved at the end?
SDAdventist

Fort Myers, FL

#7 Oct 24, 2008
Scripture shows otherwise..

Acts 13
42And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath.

43Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God.

44And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

45But when the Jews saw the multitudes, they were filled with envy, and spake against those things which were spoken by Paul, contradicting and blaspheming.
job

Cairns, Australia

#8 Oct 24, 2008
yet you say that those things I have spoken about are blasphemous.
Jesus is alleged to have come to save all peoples who have acknowledged thier sins and asked God forgiveness

Those who refuse to acknowledge that they have sinned are doomed to damnation.

Christchurch New Zealand

#9 Oct 24, 2008
job wrote:
yet you say that those things I have spoken about are blasphemous.
Jesus is alleged to have come to save all peoples who have acknowledged thier sins and asked God forgiveness
Those who refuse to acknowledge that they have sinned are doomed to damnation.
PERFECTLY correct.
EternalMind

Houston, TX

#10 Dec 26, 2008
The gentiles that will be saved are the Israelites that have been scattered on account of the curse God placesd on them through Moses. From the first time Israel went into slavery until now the curse has been in effect. The true people of God are in a steady state of bondage. It should not be hard to see who those peoples are today. For any one who has doubt should read Deut. 28. And if you read the Gospels carfully, you will see that Christ was sent unto the Lost sheep of who?? Israel! Therefore, you gentiles whom have been marked from the beginning will arise as though it were the beginning. Read the prophets. The Gospels had to be preached to the nations in order to gather the Lost sheep Of Israel.

Since: May 08

Location hidden

#11 Dec 26, 2008
EternalMind wrote:
The gentiles that will be saved are the Israelites that have been scattered on account of the curse God placesd on them through Moses. From the first time Israel went into slavery until now the curse has been in effect. The true people of God are in a steady state of bondage. It should not be hard to see who those peoples are today. For any one who has doubt should read Deut. 28. And if you read the Gospels carfully, you will see that Christ was sent unto the Lost sheep of who?? Israel! Therefore, you gentiles whom have been marked from the beginning will arise as though it were the beginning. Read the prophets. The Gospels had to be preached to the nations in order to gather the Lost sheep Of Israel.
God created Adam and Eve ... so you and I descended from these two people .... Now tell me how is this the case ? For if we go back track 20 generations we would have 500 Thousand sets of G G G G G G G .... Grandparents .... so tell me how in the dickens do we go back to only 2 people ... one set of original parents been Adam and Eve .... so maybe you need to work this mystery out before you decide who is or is not the Lost sheep of Israel...for if you cannot work it out, then God and the Bible and all that everyone goes on with concerning the Bible is a whole pile of rot!!!
Terrilyn

Australia

#12 Dec 27, 2008
Most, not Some people, will never be able to work it out, that doesn't make the Word of God void, wrong, or deception.

Location hidden

#13 Dec 27, 2008
Terrilyn wrote:
Most, not Some people, will never be able to work it out, that doesn't make the Word of God void, wrong, or deception.
Please explain the mystery then Terrilyn how you see it to be ... going back to Adam and Eve ... only 2 people in the beginning.

:-)

Christchurch New Zealand

#14 Dec 27, 2008
CINDERS wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain the mystery then Terrilyn how you see it to be ... going back to Adam and Eve ... only 2 people in the beginning.
:-)
A familt tree is wide at the bottom but as you go back toward the top there are less and less till you get the the original COUPLE>

How can it be any other way ?
Are we on the Christmas cheer ?

Location hidden

#15 Dec 27, 2008
robert two wrote:
<quoted text>
A familt tree is wide at the bottom but as you go back toward the top there are less and less till you get the the original COUPLE>
How can it be any other way ?
Are we on the Christmas cheer ?
Crap!

How can it go from "me" then back to less?

You go back from "you" to only your great great grandparents and how many do you have ? Is it less or more?

Tell me Robert how does that get less and less ... it gets more and more.

Explain it!

Cinders :-)

Christchurch New Zealand

#16 Dec 27, 2008
CINDERS wrote:
<quoted text>
Crap!
How can it go from "me" then back to less?
You go back from "you" to only your great great grandparents and how many do you have ? Is it less or more?
Tell me Robert how does that get less and less ... it gets more and more.
Explain it!
Cinders :-)
OKAY

I am the yougest of three.
The my father had 12 borthers and sisters.
All their children are on my level.
Next stage up from my AUNTS & UNCLES is my GRANDPARENTS the all their brothers and sisters. Next stage up from the is their parents.
At the top of the tree in this case.
Or we can use a single male line back to ADAM. AS females change their surnames it is not practicale but still possible to do it in a single line.]I hardly see WHERE the CRAP comes in ?

Location hidden

#17 Dec 27, 2008
robert two wrote:
<quoted text>
OKAY
I am the yougest of three.
The my father had 12 borthers and sisters.
All their children are on my level.
Next stage up from my AUNTS & UNCLES is my GRANDPARENTS the all their brothers and sisters. Next stage up from the is their parents.
At the top of the tree in this case.
Or we can use a single male line back to ADAM. AS females change their surnames it is not practicale but still possible to do it in a single line.]I hardly see WHERE the CRAP comes in ?
OK at least you care to share not like some on this forum!

Where does the CRAP come into it OK

I really thought about this today and If we go back from me to my parents then their parents and then their parents How many do we have ? We have 8 already It just grows OR as you say you can follow just one line back been one set of parents only all the way and we can come to Adam and Eve BUT everyone comes from Adam and Eve Hmmmmm so we can get a diamond shape effect but not a christmas tree shape effect hmmm maybe BUT NOW this is where I say it is CRAP after having a good think about it today and that it is INCEST with only starting off with two only ... Adam and Eve, then their children then what????

INCEST How does one avoid this at the start of creation of man ?

Some say well it was pure and perfect and it did not matter but I say it does matter for we do not tolerate incest now a days for it is WRONG and so it should have been back then.

What a terrible thought ...

I am starting to think the Bible is a load of crap once again ... too many questions that no one has or cares to answer.

Christchurch New Zealand

#18 Dec 28, 2008
I am interested in this subject.
To be fair we are looking back after thousands of years with our thinking.
Now in regard to INCEST stsart of with laying law down on this subject. When in the BIBLE does that start?
LOTS daughters were not concerned about INCEST.
This should be looked into properly.
CAIN went of with his sisters.Things were LIBERAL in those days.
Get a starting date for the laws of INCEST.

Christchurch New Zealand

#19 Dec 28, 2008
WellEVE was made of ADAM,s rib so they were in INCEST for a starter.

Location hidden

#20 Dec 29, 2008
robert two wrote:
WellEVE was made of ADAM,s rib so they were in INCEST for a starter.
Hmmm Robert How do you see this as incest ?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Seventh-day Adventist Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MANY SDA's believe WEDNESDAY Crucifixion, WHY? (Feb '11) 8 min Gerhard Ebersoehn 3,967
...The number OF A MAN (Jun '14) 18 min Kevin McMillen 777
Exposing the Skeleton in the S.D.A. Closet of 1888 26 min Kevin McMillen 32
merry christmas all 27 min Kevin McMillen 85
What is God's sign? 43 min Lay Worker 95
1Co 5:8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not w... 1 hr Eyeswideopen 4
Christmas: Should Christians Celebrate It? 1 hr Kevin McMillen 1
SDA main PILLAR coming DOWN! (May '14) 5 hr DANNO 2,853
More from around the web