Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

My opinion is that most believers create God in their own image, and I think there is plenty of evidence on this forum to backup my claim.

"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."
Anne Lamott

I'm interested to see if the results confirm my expectations, that your "God" likes the things you like and hates the things you hate.

If you pick choice 2 or 3, I'd appreciate an explanation for your response.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

I chose 'other' because I do not believe God hates.
That is a human emotion.
God is always the same/never changing.
Idi O Syncrasy

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
That is a human emotion.
Good call, Nettie. I agree.
God is love.
Informed

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

read an op-ed in the newspaper not long ago, allegedly written by a Christian. This person wrote in opposition to a billboard placed by a local Church. The billboard listed seven things that God hates. The op-ed writer said he was a Christian. He said that the Church should not have placed such a billboard because his God was a God of love and "his God did not hate." Well I wondered what god he worshipped.

Does the LORD really hate? The best way to find out about someone is to go directly to that person and heed that very person's own words. Let us go directly to the Words of God and see what God Himself says about our question.

Proverbs 6:16-19 "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:{17} A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,{18} An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,{19} A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."

The word rendered "hate" is Strong's 8130, sane. It means to personally hate. This verse or God's Own Word, says that God hates six things and that seven are abhorrent to Him. The word translated "abomination" means something abhorrent. To abhor means to loathe or to hate. So there are seven things listed here that God hates. They are:

A proud look

A lying tongue

Hands that shed innocent blood

A heart that devises wicked imaginations

Feet that are swift to spread mischief

A false witness that speaks lies

One who sheds discord among the brethren

Note that each of these seven items is an attribute of men. This hatred of God is directed at men who do these abominations. Let us see if we can clarify these items. The seven things God hates are:

A Prideful Person

A Liar

A Murderer

One Who Always Makes Criminal Plans

A Mischief Maker

A Slanderer

God does have hatred toward something. He hates all evil, but these seven things are especially repugnant to Him. Not only does He hate evil; it is anathema to Him. That is why a sinner cannot come into His presence. Because of His holiness, He cannot allow evil in His presence because it destroys His holiness. So, yes, the LORD does hate. He hates all evil.

bibleword.org
Sola Scriptura

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster wrote:
My opinion is that most believers create God in their own image, and I think there is plenty of evidence on this forum to backup my claim.
"You can safely assume that you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do."
Anne Lamott
I'm interested to see if the results confirm my expectations, that your "God" likes the things you like and hates the things you hate.
lol You can tell an atheist made out this poll.
Sola Scriptura

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
That is a human emotion.
Love is a human emotion too. So, God doesn't love or hate. According to you, He is just an indifferent spectator.
Sola Scriptura

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
God is love.
And God hates. "spiritual" or Universalists use "God is love" when in actuality the phrase is only found twice in scripture.

1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is love.

1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.

But, does God love sin? Does God love immorality? Does God love iniquity?

Sola Scriptura

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Informed wrote:
read an op-ed in the newspaper not long ago, allegedly written by a Christian. This person wrote in opposition to a billboard placed by a local Church. The billboard listed seven things that God hates. The op-ed writer said he was a Christian. He said that the Church should not have placed such a billboard because his God was a God of love and "his God did not hate." Well I wondered what god he worshipped.
Does the LORD really hate? The best way to find out about someone is to go directly to that person and heed that very person's own words. Let us go directly to the Words of God and see what God Himself says about our question.
Proverbs 6:16-19 "These six things doth the LORD hate: yea, seven are an abomination unto him:{17} A proud look, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood,{18} An heart that deviseth wicked imaginations, feet that be swift in running to mischief,{19} A false witness that speaketh lies, and he that soweth discord among brethren."
The word rendered "hate" is Strong's 8130, sane. It means to personally hate. This verse or God's Own Word, says that God hates six things and that seven are abhorrent to Him. The word translated "abomination" means something abhorrent. To abhor means to loathe or to hate. So there are seven things listed here that God hates. They are:
A proud look
A lying tongue
Hands that shed innocent blood
A heart that devises wicked imaginations
Feet that are swift to spread mischief
A false witness that speaks lies
One who sheds discord among the brethren
Note that each of these seven items is an attribute of men. This hatred of God is directed at men who do these abominations. Let us see if we can clarify these items. The seven things God hates are:
A Prideful Person
A Liar
A Murderer
One Who Always Makes Criminal Plans
A Mischief Maker
A Slanderer
God does have hatred toward something. He hates all evil, but these seven things are especially repugnant to Him. Not only does He hate evil; it is anathema to Him. That is why a sinner cannot come into His presence. Because of His holiness, He cannot allow evil in His presence because it destroys His holiness. So, yes, the LORD does hate. He hates all evil.
bibleword.org
Great post.

But you will soon learn the Word of God does not count for much around here.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

"God" hates just like Wayne does. "God" hates the very same things Wayne hates. Yep, "God" is Wayne.
OKAY

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
God is love.
Hmmm, love is an emotion.
OKAY

Fort Worth, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Sola Scriptura wrote:
<quoted text>
Great post.
But you will soon learn the Word of God does not count for much around here.
Corr-the Word of God does not count for much "if anything" around here.
Strel

Tallahassee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

tickedoffchic wrote:
"God" hates just like Wayne does. "God" hates the very same things Wayne hates. Yep, "God" is Wayne.
Looking at it objectively, I think maybe God hates Wayne.
Sola Scriptura

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

tickedoffchic wrote:
Biblical illiterate. Why do you despise a book you don't have the intelligence to understand?
Sola Scriptura

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

OKAY wrote:
<quoted text>
True.
Yesu Kristo Mwokozi wangu

Shelby, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Idi O Syncrasy wrote:
<quoted text>
God is love.
Hi Idi O Syncrasy and Nettiebelle too.

If God is love, how can He hate?

"There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers." (Proverbs 6:16-19)

The Bible outlines seven things the Lord hates: pride, lying, murder, evil plots, those who love evil, false witness, and troublemakers. But that’s not all. In Deuteronomy and Psalms we find that God hates “idolatry” and “those who do evil”.

If God is love, how can He hate and why does God hate these things?

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

OKAY wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you referring to the Protestant Bible or the Holy Spirit?
Sola Scriptura

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

OKAY wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmmm, love is an emotion.
Shame on you! You'll ruin Netties daydreams of grandeur.

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Sola Scriptura wrote:
<quoted text>
Biblical illiterate. Why do you despise a book you don't have the intelligence to understand?
I don't hate the Bible, Wayne. I reject your understanding of it.
Why do all you rabid fundies think others are not rejecting your personal take on the Bible and religion?
Yesu Kristo Mwokozi wangu

Shelby, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Flying_Spaghetti_Monster wrote:
Anne Lamott
Hi FSM,

The image I have of God is not self-created within my mind as you suspect. The image I have of God is found within the pages of the Bible. God wants us to know Him, what He’s like, his attributes and even what He’s thinking. It’s way too important to trust to word of mouth, so He had it written down. For Christians the Bible is the source of that information for the image we have of the omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent God.

Reading through some of the names of God can be helpful in our search of what God is like:

Elohim - strong One, divine (Genesis 1:1)
Adonai - Lord, indicating a Master-to-servant relationship (Exodus 4:10, 13)
El Elyon - Most High, the strongest One (Genesis 14:20)
El Roi - the strong One who sees (Genesis 16:13)
El Shaddai - Almighty God (Genesis 17:1)
El Olam - Everlasting God (Isaiah 40:28)
Yahweh - LORD “I Am,” meaning the eternal self-existent God (Exodus 3:13, 14).

That’s just a sample.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 4, 2012

Judged:

Yesu Kristo Mwokozi wangu wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Idi O Syncrasy and Nettiebelle too.
If God is love, how can He hate?
"There are six things the LORD hates, seven that are detestable to him: haughty eyes, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked schemes, feet that are quick to rush into evil, a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers." (Proverbs 6:16-19)
The Bible outlines seven things the Lord hates: pride, lying, murder, evil plots, those who love evil, false witness, and troublemakers. But that’s not all. In Deuteronomy and Psalms we find that God hates “idolatry” and “those who do evil”.
If God is love, how can He hate and why does God hate these things?
Written by men who used the only thing they had or knew about in describing God/speaking of God/explaining God.....themselves.
No one has ever adequately explained/described God.
Love is our very best emotion so naturally we would hope that God, being the best there is, is love.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the Christian Forum right now

Search the Christian Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Cookie's Place (Oct '13) 6 min FSM 10,543
A Message from Nettie 14 min loveismygoal 858
Is the Bible always literally true or correct? 55 min Big Al 1,338
What do you think about Dollarsbill? 3 hr suomynona 4
jebus crise the christian 4 hr suomynona 5
About Dollarsbill .... 6 hr joe 7 52
Religion and the New World Order (Feb '12) 7 hr Anita in Tongzhou 11
WHAT GOD SAID to ME TODAY 8 hr stupid is not a disease 236
•••