What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

Apr 19, 2008 | Posted by: Paul Zannucci | Full story: www.christianpost.com

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Comments (Page 3,957)

Showing posts 79,121 - 79,140 of83,860
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Patriot

Clarksville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Anonomous 2 U wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm so glad you brought this up. I don't think the question is whether or not Jesus is present. He is present. No I don't think he becomes "more present". What I'm talking about is the power behind the symbology. 1 Corinthians 11:29 For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, notdiscerning the Lord's body. 1 Corinthians 11:34 And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come.
I don't know of anywhere in the bible that prayer or attending church is spoken of this way. For me the Eucharist is more than a "memorial" but also a joining of our spirit with the spirit of Jesus. Your suggestion that I read John 6 was excellent. Maybe it's all in how you interpret it but, John 6:56 Whoever feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood abides in me, and I in him. This tells me that though we use symbols, what is happening spiritually is quite real and tangible.
The Lord's supper is spiritual food, by "eating his flesh and drinking his blood" per se, we are totally "taking him in". Taking him into our conscience minds,actions, thoughts, etc. I am well familiar with the passage in 1Corinthians you listed. Since it is spiritual food,we must examine ourselves, not to take it in a flippant manner and our minds need to be on his sacrifice and his coming again when we partake. I think Paul is saying that when we are partaking we do not need to have our mind of the football game,etc .
Patriot

Clarksville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Anti Delusional wrote:
<quoted text>
Love does not create brutality & suffering. How can you/she say the overly loving, merciful god you/she believe in, created a life design which requires brutality?
When evil and sin came into the world, the world was no longer the pink and blue padded nursery where the lamb and lion would lay side by side in perfect harmony. This principle worked it way all the way up to the top of the food chain.
Patriot

Clarksville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Anonomous 2 U, I forgot to add in response to your last sentence about what happens spiritually is tangible and real though we use symbols.That is the communion part, where we "connect" spiritually with him. That is best way I can put it into words.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Anti Delusional wrote:
<quoted text>
And your overly loving, merciful god looks down on this and says well done, right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch...
Love is mutually exclusive with this creation design of predator VS prey/survival of the fittest..Only the delusional mind could believe otherwise.... Watch it until you puke, the proof is in the pudding..
All life is sacred because it came from the hand of God. But it is not all equal in value. Man is set apart as the recipient for which it was intended.
My mother used to say that it is sad that something has to die so that we can live...meaning either animals or plants.
And, she had a good point.
But, that is the nature of life on this planet.
Anti Delusional

Payson, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>When evil and sin came into the world, the world was no longer the pink and blue padded nursery where the lamb and lion would lay side by side in perfect harmony. This principle worked it way all the way up to the top of the food chain.
You sound like you're in a delirium..Do you really think the great white shark, with three rows of razor sharp teeth, was grazing on kelp before a human ate a forbidden fruit for lunch? I hate to say it and mean no insult, but that's pretty whacky..

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

Anti Delusional wrote:
<quoted text>
Love does not create brutality & suffering. How can you/she say the overly loving, merciful god you/she believe in, created a life design which requires brutality?
Beats me. Elijah was wishing he was dead in this morning's first reading but an angel sent him to Mount Horeb.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

924 819
Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>The apostle Paul for example used the simile of a runner in a race as illustration of us living the christian life. Christ used everyday things that the people understood to teach his point, for example he used the simile of a shepherd knowing a shepherd was a common thing back then and he used that to teach that he looked over his own as a shepherd does his sheep.There are some passages such as the rich man and Lazarus that is not easy to tell if it is a parable or an illustration.Christ used different means to convey his teaching.You are right,when the truth is "right there" and each has the choice of remaining ignorant of the truth or just simply ignoring the truth.
So, you understand that not all Scripture is to be taken literally. From what you are saying it appears you are using your natural God given abilities to understand, reason, use logic,and arrive at a conclusion as to if the message is a metaphor, an allegory, is symbolic, a parable, or is to be taken literally...is that correct??
Bear with me on this....I need to know "is this correct" so I can know how to proceed. I don't want to "assume" anything..

From what you are saying it can be assumed that your answer is "correct"..I do not want to start our discussion on an assumption. If you are uncomfortable with a straight forward answer, say so...
Anti Delusional

North Kingstown, RI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
They probably thought they were doing God's work. I have heard that the ships cargo of the early explorers was required to be at lest ten percent religious iconography to assist in converting the indigenous people. Some of the less scrupulous, Don Oñate for example, unsuccessfully attempted to enslave the Indians.
By the early 1600's, Mexico and the Southwest had achieved a situation of relative tranquility. To put this in perspective, the notorious Trail of Tears death march following Andrew Jackson's 'Indian Removal Act' did not begin until 1830.
Are you an atheist pretending to be a catholic, or just confused?

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Oxbow wrote:
924 819
<quoted text>
So, you understand that not all Scripture is to be taken literally. From what you are saying it appears you are using your natural God given abilities to understand, reason, use logic,and arrive at a conclusion as to if the message is a metaphor, an allegory, is symbolic, a parable, or is to be taken literally...is that correct??
Bear with me on this....I need to know "is this correct" so I can know how to proceed. I don't want to "assume" anything..
From what you are saying it can be assumed that your answer is "correct"..I do not want to start our discussion on an assumption. If you are uncomfortable with a straight forward answer, say so...
Yes. Correct. Precisely.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

Anti Delusional wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you an atheist pretending to be a catholic, or just confused?
I'm a born again non-denominational sola scriptura evangelical fundamentalist Jesus freak basher.

What are you?
servant

Mérida, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

barry wrote:
<quoted text>the law enslaved the people because they missed the purpose of the law. Christ has set us free by fulfilling the law.

Oh well....then continue to use your minister of lights own twisted definition of 'grace' to nullify Christs' teachings of the commandments. I'm sure, that's what the "one who takes away the sins of the world" wanted. A false doctrine that teaches baby Christians that it's okay to keep sinning because they're not under the law, but are under their ministers own twisted definition of grace. They say "Just utter our "Lord's name" and you're good to go to heaven". Yeah right.

THERE IS ONLY ONE SPIRIT:

John 14:15-17 “If you love Me(Jesus), you will keep My commandments. I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth

Hebrews 10:27-29 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?

1 John 5:19 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commandments .The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him.

1 John 5:3 This is love for God: to keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome,

Since: Dec 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text> All life is sacred because it came from the hand of God. But it is not all equal in value. Man is set apart as the recipient for which it was intended.
My mother used to say that it is sad that something has to die so that we can live...meaning either animals or plants.
And, she had a good point.
But, that is the nature of life on this planet.
Hi Nettie!
Your comment got me to thinking.....
Maybe all life IS equal in value, the only difference being in the purposes life is intended for?
servant

Mérida, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

barry wrote:
<quoted text><quoted text>can you find the pharisees in the OT? do you know who the saducees were? salvation is of the jews because the messiah was promised to come from the jews.
there is no salvation in being jewish. just like there is no salvation in being baptist, catholic or whatever name happens to be on the meeting house."
a simple no to the first question would have sufficed.
the pharisees didn't even exist in the OT.

I was explaining who they were in New testament times. And yes, they did "claim" to be children (descendants) of Abraham and teachers of the Law. But as we all know, their hearts weren't circumsised by the Spirit of grace.

And as I said earlier they believed they had to keep the laws (commandments) concerning sacrifices for sins in the Jewish Temple (Hebrews 9 & 10) after the crucifixion. They didn't recognize our Passover Lamb (Jesus).

barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

servant wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh well....then continue to use your minister of lights own twisted definition of 'grace' to nullify Christs' teachings of the commandments. I'm sure, that's what the "one who takes away the sins of the world" wanted. A false doctrine that teaches baby Christians that it's okay to keep sinning because they're not under the law, but are under their ministers own twisted definition of grace. They say "Just utter our "Lord's name" and you're good to go to heaven". Yeah right.
THERE IS ONLY ONE SPIRIT:
John 14:15-17 “If you love Me(Jesus), you will keep My commandments. I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth
Hebrews 10:27-29 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left, but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God. Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses. How much more severely do you think a man deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God under foot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified him, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?
1 John 5:19 We know that we have come to know him if we obey his commandments .The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him.
1 John 5:3 This is love for God: to keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome,
Revelation 3:1 "...These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God,..."
Anti Delusional

Netherlands

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Correction: was not set apart as the recipient,
servant

Mérida, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

barry wrote:
<quoted text>Revelation 3:1 "...These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God,..."

then name them

servant

Mérida, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

barry wrote:
<quoted text>

Ephesians 2:18 For through him (Christ) we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit--just as you were called to one hope when you were called--one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Nettie!
Your comment got me to thinking.....
Maybe all life IS equal in value, the only difference being in the purposes life is intended for?
Maybe so, janee.

Since: Dec 09

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

Patriot wrote:
<quoted text>When evil and sin came into the world, the world was no longer the pink and blue padded nursery where the lamb and lion would lay side by side in perfect harmony. This principle worked it way all the way up to the top of the food chain.
Evil was in the world BEFORE man first sinned.
Had evil (Satan in a serpent suit) not already been in the world, man would not have sinned.
barry

Rainsville, AL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 12, 2012

Judged:

servant wrote:
<quoted text>
then name them
why?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 79,121 - 79,140 of83,860
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••