What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

Apr 19, 2008 Full story: www.christianpost.com 83,830

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Full Story

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#80998 Aug 12, 2012
Anonomous 2 U wrote:
<quoted text>
You probably do have the choice of accepting or rejecting the baptism once you are old enough to have understanding. I felt the need to reject the baptism from SDA and the Mormons. I feared I would go to God with the baptism of heretics. Since you were Catholic for so long, I have to ask, what changed your mind and, caused you to leave?
I was convicted of the Holy Spirit at the age of about 30, that my life style was leading me straight into hell.

It took 10 years for me to be led to a point where I was born again of the Spirit of God. During those ten years, I talked with any Catholic priest who would talk to me. None could answer my questions. I made a 300 mile trip to talk to a Monsignor, who, as a priest taught me the Catechism. After listening to me for about an hour, his only words were "The answers are within you!!!!!

I finally arrived in the office of a SBC Pastor. He listened to me as the priests had...He began with my first question, by reaching for his Bible, opened it, and said "This is what God says regards your question." After about 45 minutes of my "Yes but" and his "This is what God says" he asked if I was ready to accept Jesus Christ as my Savior...I answered "yes"....and there in that office I was born again...spiritually...

He did not tell me to leave my religion...he did say to attend a church that worships Christ..He said for me to start reading my Bible beginning with John, and when I finished, to come back and talk with him. After reading through John and most of Acts, I joined the SBC church...gave my testimony and was baptized...
Anonomous 2 U

Atlanta, GA

#80999 Aug 12, 2012
Anti Delusional wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like you're in a delirium..Do you really think the great white shark, with three rows of razor sharp teeth, was grazing on kelp before a human ate a forbidden fruit for lunch? I hate to say it and mean no insult, but that's pretty whacky..
That's the power of sin.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#81000 Aug 12, 2012
Question...

What part of a human's body is stained when sin enters into a person's life????

“Wear white at night.”

Since: Jun 09

Albuquerque

#81001 Aug 12, 2012
Oxbow wrote:
Question...
That's not a stain, Oxbow, it's a rash. You need to see a doctor.
Anonomous 2 U

Atlanta, GA

#81002 Aug 12, 2012
Oxbow wrote:
Question...
Their Heart?

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#81003 Aug 12, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>

THERE IS ONLY ONE SPIRIT:
Spirit is the breath of life. Anything that breaths has a spirit. This includes animals.

The Holy Spirit is the breath of God.

You should try to figure this stuff out before handing a born again label on yourself.

Since: Dec 09

United States

#81004 Aug 13, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
If you come up with a purpose for life other than praising God and paying tithes be sure to let me know.
If you come up with a purpose for religion other than saving souls and accumulating wealth be sure to let me know.
"If you come up with a purpose for life other than praising God...."

Hmmmmmm......
Well,.. the purpose of life can't be to praise God unless God exists.
So if it's true praising God is life's purpose, then God is a fact; meaning - God definitely IS.

P.S. "X" por mi preciosa Milagra.

Since: Dec 09

United States

#81005 Aug 13, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Spirit is the breath of life. Anything that breaths has a spirit. This includes animals.
The Holy Spirit is the breath of God.
You should try to figure this stuff out before handing a born again label on yourself.
But if "Spirit is the breath of life", wouldn't it have to mean that ALL living things have a spirit,, regardless of whether they breathe or not?

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#81006 Aug 13, 2012
janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
But if "Spirit is the breath of life", wouldn't it have to mean that ALL living things have a spirit,, regardless of whether they breathe or not?
All living things do have a spirit.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#81007 Aug 13, 2012
janeebee wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently not. The Hebrew scribes thought the defining characteristic of life was movement. For this reason they did not attribute life to plants but rather to stars.

Isaiah 34:4
.....all the starry host will fall like withered leaves from the vine.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#81008 Aug 13, 2012
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>All living things do have a spirit.
Good morning Nettie. Good morning Janee.

Aquila, by strangling some camels and then asking Hadrian to set them on their legs again, proved to the emperor that the world is based on spirit.
-- Jewish Encyclopedia

Spirit and breath are synonymous. Inspire and expire share the common root 'spirit'.

Greek translations use pneuma to represent breath as the animating spirit. Thus we have words like pneumonia and pneumatic.

“God Loves Ilks!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#81009 Aug 13, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently not. The Hebrew scribes thought the defining characteristic of life was movement. For this reason they did not attribute life to plants but rather to stars.
Isaiah 34:4
.....all the starry host will fall like withered leaves from the vine.
All living things have a soul, or they would not be living. It is just that three types of souls are recognized: Rational - human; sensitive - animals, and vegetative - plants.

Re: Do animals have souls?
All living things have souls, but only angels and humans have spiritual souls. Animal and plant souls are material principles that cease to exist at death. Angels do not die, and human souls survive the death of the body.

We do not know God's plans for creation, including animals and plants. A hint that creation may be glorified at the end of time can be found in the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Quote:
For the cosmos, revelation affirms the profound common destiny of the material world and man:

For the creation waits with eager longing for the revealing of the sons of God ... in hope because the creation itself will be set free from its bondage to decay.... We know that the whole creation has been groaning in travail together until now; and not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the first fruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies (CCC 1046).

The visible universe, then, is itself destined to be transformed, "so that the world itself, restored to its original state, facing no further obstacles, should be at the service of the just," sharing their glorification in the risen Jesus Christ (CCC 1047).
In short, it is possible that God may re-create and glorify creation, including animals and plants. We may hope then that it may be possible to meet deceased animal friends in the next life.
from Catholic Answers

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#81010 Aug 13, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>Revelation 3:1 "...These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God,..."
We're thinking the seven spirits of God are the five visible planets along with the Sun and Moon.

In Revelation 5:16 and Zechariah 4:10 they are called the seven eyes of God.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#81011 Aug 13, 2012
Nettiebelle wrote:
<quoted text>
All living things have a soul, or they would not be living.
Quote:
For the cosmos, revelation affirms the profound common destiny of the material world and man:
from Catholic Answers
That's real unfortunate because www.vatican.va capitalizes 'Revelation'.
Even before looking that up I translated:

'Made-up shít affirms the profound common destiny of the material world and man.'

Father M will be so disappointed.
barry

Rainsville, AL

#81012 Aug 13, 2012
15th Dalai Lama wrote:
<quoted text>
We're thinking the seven spirits of God are the five visible planets along with the Sun and Moon.
In Revelation 5:16 and Zechariah 4:10 they are called the seven eyes of God.
interesting except that there are names given to Spirits of God in the Bible. three of them can be found in Isaiah 11:2.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#81013 Aug 13, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
then name them
Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Sol and Luna.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#81015 Aug 13, 2012
servant wrote:
<quoted text>
then name them
As preacherman would say:

Wheres does yous comes froms, Mars?

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#81016 Aug 13, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>interesting except that there are names given to Spirits of God in the Bible. three of them can be found in Isaiah 11:2.
"And the spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD."

We could argue the pros and cons of each interpretation all day but we'd end up right where we started.
Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#81017 Aug 13, 2012
Catholics are bigots who hide child molesters in their ranks and tries to interfere with the politics of sovereign nations like the United States for their head of state, the pope.

“Wear white at night.”

Albuquerque

#81018 Aug 13, 2012
barry wrote:
<quoted text>interesting except that there are names given to Spirits of God in the Bible. three of them can be found in Isaiah 11:2.
Actually, I'll concede that point. I won't concede spirit and Holy Spirit are one in the same.

Back to John 3, the first birth is of the spirit and the second birth is of the Holy Spirit.

John 3:10
Jesus answered and said unto him, Art thou a master of Israel, and knowest not these things?

Probably a year ago this verse told me the key will be found in the Old Testament and start praying for Nettie and the rest of you yokels. I've come a long way. Saturday I switched from the Parish to the Mission congregation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 25 min Michelle Watson 542,021
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 1 hr bmz 202,015
Saint of the Day thread (May '10) 3 hr MichelleMC 2,451
Catholic Cardinal McCarrick Embraces Islam 7 hr Joaquim Toledo 3
Catholic Charities refuses to place children wi... (Jun '11) 10 hr nOgOd 809
Vatican and Vietnam continue to strengthen ties... 15 hr NGUCAPSHlTSKINKYO... 2
Before the Downfall of a Priest, a Fondness for... (Jul '06) Sun Tippy Faulker 20
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Roman Catholic Church People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••