What Divides Catholics and Protestants?

Apr 19, 2008 | Posted by: Paul Zannucci | Full story: www.christianpost.com

As Pope Benedict XVI continues with his highly publicized visit to the United States, some may wonder what the major differences are between Catholicism and Protestantism - the two main Christian bodies in the ...

Comments
1 - 20 of 83,830 Comments Last updated Sep 29, 2013
First Prev
of 4192
Next Last
Divine Alien

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 19, 2008
 

Judged:

11

9

8

What are the main protests of the protestants against the catholic? Are the protests really the big issues in believing/following/obeying Jesus? What types of spirits that brings human to be divided in the worship of Jesus? The Holy Spirit of Jesus will not/never do that. It will never protest for the sake of Jesus and the glory of God the Father. The Holy Spirit is only urging mankind to love God and thy neighbors only; therefore, there should be no killing/murdering/much protests/complaining for the sake of Jesus. The xtians are even not allowed to kill any humans of different faiths/beliefs. Jesus's love is not limited to any groups of humans on earth/universe. Jesus must be made known to the whole world that He is God who brings salvation to all mankind. There is no guarantee of salvation if one denies Jesus; those who never heard of Jesus are exception; God will handle their case accordingly.
PAD

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

8

8

5

Divine Alien wrote:
What are the main protests of the protestants against the catholic? Are the protests really the big issues in believing/following/obeying Jesus? What types of spirits that brings human to be divided in the worship of Jesus? The Holy Spirit of Jesus will not/never do that. It will never protest for the sake of Jesus and the glory of God the Father. The Holy Spirit is only urging mankind to love God and thy neighbors only; therefore, there should be no killing/murdering/much protests/complaining for the sake of Jesus. The xtians are even not allowed to kill any humans of different faiths/beliefs. Jesus's love is not limited to any groups of humans on earth/universe. Jesus must be made known to the whole world that He is God who brings salvation to all mankind. There is no guarantee of salvation if one denies Jesus; those who never heard of Jesus are exception; God will handle their case accordingly.
Your all alone on this thread,DA. I hope you don't mind if I join you?_________First of all I agree with you about Jesus, and the will of God that we should not be in the spirit of protest, and negativity.The ageless battle between Catholics and Protestants is so typical of sibling rivalry. You have seen no doubt that in one family, two siblings can be diametrically opposed to each other about many issues. It is amusing to watch PLAYS which have portrayed much over the years about sibling rivalry, the worst battles are fought during HOLIDAY gatherings in the parents house.My brother and I could not be in the same room without some sort of conflict. We had terrible fights, and one time my grandmother had a hard time trying to separate us when we fought.When I converted from the RCC to a non-Cath church, my brother decided I would be better off dead. Although he did not get the opportunity to kill me, he told family members that he would kill me on the spot if I showed up at our mother's house and he was there.MY brother was killed in an auto accident at 21 years of age. He had just come home from Viet Nam. A year later I was sent to Viet Nam with Army forces.Personally knowing my brother and his incensed hatred for me at times, I would not doubt that he would have hospitalized me, or even could have killed me. But the fact is DA the rivalry between Catholics and Prots is much like the feud between brothers or sisters as I have personally shared in my own life._________Most Christians do not have a problem with the many denominations in Christianity, but there are some who bitterly oppose any expression of faith outside their own particular affilitation. It is a problem I have noticed in every persuasion, and it reminds me of my brother and I and our opposing views in life.
Light Sensitive

Staten Island, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

23

16

11

what divides them? what divides all people? the overwhelming desire to be right. in this case its all about things that no one can be right on. no one.

what then divides them are the lies they tell about each other...propaganda, plain and simple.

christianity has always been about taking power, being the RIGHT one, the leader...the one in control of others beliefs...doesnt matter which sect you favor...you simply want to be RIGHT and damn those who say otherwise...damn them to hell.

natural human weakness divides them...
Wayne

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

42

27

21

I'll only list a few particulars.

Transubstantiation= the belief that while taking the communion the cookie and wine become the physical, actual flesh and blood of Jesus Christ.

Calling the pope holy father while scripture is plain in telling us to call NO MAN our father.

Mariolatry, or the worship and veneration of Mary. They say they don't but try to get them to give up their rosary beads and quit saying the hail Marys.

Praying to Mary to ask her to mediate between them and her Son, Jesus Christ to gain favor for them. It is plain there is only ONE Mediator between God and man and that IS Jesus Christ, not Mary.

There are many, many more.
brianisha

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

8

2

2

The Reformation and the Counter Reformation.
Divine Alien

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

2

2

1

PAD wrote:
<quoted text>Your all alone on this thread,DA. I hope you don't mind if I join you?_________First of all I agree with you about Jesus, and the will of God that we should not be in the spirit of protest, and negativity.The ageless battle between Catholics and Protestants is so typical of sibling rivalry. You have seen no doubt that in one family, two siblings can be diametrically opposed to each other about many issues. It is amusing to watch PLAYS which have portrayed much over the years about sibling rivalry, the worst battles are fought during HOLIDAY gatherings in the parents house.My brother and I could not be in the same room without some sort of conflict. We had terrible fights, and one time my grandmother had a hard time trying to separate us when we fought.When I converted from the RCC to a non-Cath church, my brother decided I would be better off dead. Although he did not get the opportunity to kill me, he told family members that he would kill me on the spot if I showed up at our mother's house and he was there.MY brother was killed in an auto accident at 21 years of age. He had just come home from Viet Nam. A year later I was sent to Viet Nam with Army forces.Personally knowing my brother and his incensed hatred for me at times, I would not doubt that he would have hospitalized me, or even could have killed me. But the fact is DA the rivalry between Catholics and Prots is much like the feud between brothers or sisters as I have personally shared in my own life._________Most Christians do not have a problem with the many denominations in Christianity, but there are some who bitterly oppose any expression of faith outside their own particular affilitation. It is a problem I have noticed in every persuasion, and it reminds me of my brother and I and our opposing views in life.
Hello PAD, thank you for dropping by; you got some points right, I agree. I sympathize you for the lost of your beloved 'hostile' brother. In Jesus, we are brothers and sisters but we can be very 'hostile' with each other in the same way like a relationship between you and your brother. One can be very hostile towards his own brother perhaps coz they compete for the love from their parents. If I were to do that to my own brother, I acknowledge that I have failed to 'see' the love of my parents for us. If the xtians are doing that to other xtian brothers/sisters of different denominations, they also fail to see/experience the love that Jesus/God has for them and they fail to love in the manner Jesus has urged them in His two commandments: Love God and Love thy neighbors. Now, your brother is no longer with you, pondering the old good times together before the incidence and I think you would miss him a lot although he was hostile coz you love Jesus in your new denomination. To me, no matter how bad is my brother, I still love him coz he is my blood brother and coz of Jesus. I think your brother was wondering why you have to switch denomination after all your family are one in faith in Jesus. I think, we are divided coz of the way we worship. Although the RCC appears to worship following certain rites (Holy communion, Holy Eucharist, Rosary, Veneration etc), these things are all symbolics. They also believe in the Holy Spirit dwelling in every believers; individual devoted RCC members do experience inner spiritual generation in themselves in Jesus. In my personal opinion, the RCC is still praying the Hail Mary today coz it is a spirit of acknowledgement of God being made flesh/human in the womb of His mother. In my personal opinion, a catholic should not imagine/think that a cross, statue, etc can be possessed by the Holy Spirit and become divine or powerful items coz a satan can also disguise himself in the cross/statues. The most important theme/focus in our life as a xtians is Jesus. In Jesus, we can forget all the dispute/hostility with anybody and be loving coz God loves us.
Divine Alien

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

10

8

7

Wayne wrote:
I'll only list a few particulars.
Transubstantiation= the belief that while taking the communion the cookie and wine become the physical, actual flesh and blood of Jesus Christ.
Calling the pope holy father while scripture is plain in telling us to call NO MAN our father.
Mariolatry, or the worship and veneration of Mary. They say they don't but try to get them to give up their rosary beads and quit saying the hail Marys.
Praying to Mary to ask her to mediate between them and her Son, Jesus Christ to gain favor for them. It is plain there is only ONE Mediator between God and man and that IS Jesus Christ, not Mary.
There are many, many more.
Wayne, I am a catholic; however, I am not going to dispute/debate/argue with you too far about whether I am correct in my worship or you are right/wrong in yours. I am aware that both of us are devoted follower of Jesus.

As in your opinion, Jesus does not require a mediator, for the Lord Jesus alone is the only mediator between you and God. How true is that perception, I feel/think, it is open for question/debate. Let me ask you: Do you pray for your own family, parents, brothers/sisters, friends, others, love, peace, etc? If you do those things, you are also attempting to mediate for them. I pray for my wife to God so that God/Jesus would touch her heart so that she would be loving towards me. I pray for you Wayne so that you are better equipped/prepared to answer our oppositions in this forum. These are my common sense and personal comment. Forgive me for pouring those weird thoughts of a common sense from my consciousness.
Anthony

Pendleton, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

28

19

19

I'm rather surprised this is even a topic. The divide between Catholic and Protestant doctrine is so vast that it cannot.. and should not be bridged.

Purgatory...

Praying to Mary and the "Saints"...

Confession to a human priest...

Tradition being equal to Scripture...(a doctrine people have been killed over)

Supremacy of Priest over the laity...

Works based salvation (requirement of sacraments)...

Transubstantiation (another doctrine people have been killed over)

Obedience trumps truth...(read what one must vow to become a priest)

I had to shorten the list just to get it to post..

I believe there are Christians in the Roman Catholic church... but the church itself and its doctrines are not a Christian organization anymore.
Anthony

Pendleton, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

17

11

9

Grr typo in last line.. where is that edit button...

Wanted to make sure to add,

Ascension of Mary and her perpetual virginity...

The mystical belief in relics of saints...(tons have been faked to gain pilgrims and their money)

The belief that the Holy Roman Church can excommunicate you and remove you from heavens roster.

I am conviced that if people would read their Bibles for themselves they too would protest the Roman Catholic teachings... perhaps that is why that church tried so hard to keep the Bible from being printed in English for so long.

Notice I did not refer to their past Inquisitions, Crusades, and killing of believers who disagree with them as a reason not to be a part of it. Though some would cite those as reasons as well.
Anthony

Pendleton, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

16

10

8

Final post..

In response to Divine Alien:

"As in your opinion, Jesus does not require a mediator, for the Lord Jesus alone is the only mediator between you and God. How true is that perception, I feel/think, it is open for question/debate"

Wayne was not presenting "his opinion" he was referencing scripture, and it is open to debate.

I Timothy 2:5
"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"

I'm sorry that my post sound so confrontational.. but there can be no joining together with Catholics without compromising biblical doctrine.
Anthony

Pendleton, OR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

5

4

3

"and it is open to debate.. was suppose to say NOT open" sigh.. to tired and to riled by the subject sorry.
PAD

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

9

4

3

Anthony wrote:
"and it is open to debate.. was suppose to say NOT open" sigh.. to tired and to riled by the subject sorry.
Anthony, I am 59 an ex-Cath and truly I am tired. It does pay however to share our knowledge of these things.Someone reading or listening just might have the Light turn on in their mind.You have every right however not to get into any debate, I am tired of it as well.But I am also prepared to share the truth. God richly bless you and your loved ones!!!
Divine Alien

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Anthony wrote:
Final post..
In response to Divine Alien:
"As in your opinion, Jesus does not require a mediator, for the Lord Jesus alone is the only mediator between you and God. How true is that perception, I feel/think, it is open for question/debate"
Wayne was not presenting "his opinion" he was referencing scripture, and it is open to debate.
I Timothy 2:5
"For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus;"
I'm sorry that my post sound so confrontational.. but there can be no joining together with Catholics without compromising biblical doctrine.
Hello Anthony, no problem with me for you being confrontional but be prepare if there are any differences in ideas. I hate to interpret the verse individually/singly. It would be really a havoc in our mind to interpet using a single verse and let it overrule other verses coz there would seem to be some contradicting verses around. I am aware that it is a perfect sentence in/of Timothy. I could not understand fully why Timothy had written it in such structure. If I were to interpret the verse singly, my interpretation is that Jesus is not God or Lord at all. Jesus is just an ordinary man like you, Wayne and me who mediates us with God. I cannot accept such interpretation coz I still believe that Jesus is Lord and God.
PAD

Rockford, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Divine Alien wrote:
<quoted text>
Wayne, I am a catholic; however, I am not going to dispute/debate/argue with you too far about whether I am correct in my worship or you are right/wrong in yours. I am aware that both of us are devoted follower of Jesus.
As in your opinion, Jesus does not require a mediator, for the Lord Jesus alone is the only mediator between you and God. How true is that perception, I feel/think, it is open for question/debate. Let me ask you: Do you pray for your own family, parents, brothers/sisters, friends, others, love, peace, etc? If you do those things, you are also attempting to mediate for them. I pray for my wife to God so that God/Jesus would touch her heart so that she would be loving towards me. I pray for you Wayne so that you are better equipped/prepared to answer our oppositions in this forum. These are my common sense and personal comment. Forgive me for pouring those weird thoughts of a common sense from my consciousness.
There is no longer a simple way to define the difference between prots and rcs.500 years or so of debate has left a huge gap, but it also has given us all an opportunity to follow Jesus, and to fulfill His desire for the body of Christ. His desire is that we OBEY the Father, in doing His Will, and keeping His commandments.His desire is that we fulfill scripture as well, as He fulfilled it FIRST.We can all do of His good pleasure by doing what Ephesians 2:8-9 says. After by the Grace of Him we are saved, we do that which is ordained in good works to accomplish what The LORD wants done on this planet. The Good Works:feeding the hungry,giving drink to the thirsty both physical and spiritual. clothing those who have little,putting a roof over those who are homeless,visiting those who are incarcerated,bringing healing to the sick and infirmed.We are peacemakers!!! Bridge builders. The attributes of God:compassion,mercy,reconcili ation,forgiveness,courageousne ss,valor....all these things are to be manifested in US. And wonderfully we all are seeing these things happen through our churches, and in our lives, when we by faith give,love and do the Works the LORD has pre-ordained we do!
Divine Alien

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 20, 2008
 

Judged:

5

4

4

Be there are RCC or protestants, the groups are united under one roof, Jesus. I don't want to argue further about the rites of any denominations. Do as they want/wish as long as they are happy or pleased to worship God/Jesus in their own ways. PAD, you are great. If I were to judge you, I see that the spirit of Jesus is living in you. Praise be Jesus.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 21, 2008
 

Judged:

20

14

14

The Roman Church has made up 'doctrine' that is against what Jesus taught, sickening move for politcal gain...
Dan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Apr 21, 2008
 

Judged:

8

4

3

Wayne wrote:
I'll only list a few particulars.
Transubstantiation= the belief that while taking the communion the cookie and wine become the physical, actual flesh and blood of Jesus Christ.
Calling the pope holy father while scripture is plain in telling us to call NO MAN our father.
Mariolatry, or the worship and veneration of Mary. They say they don't but try to get them to give up their rosary beads and quit saying the hail Marys.
Praying to Mary to ask her to mediate between them and her Son, Jesus Christ to gain favor for them. It is plain there is only ONE Mediator between God and man and that IS Jesus Christ, not Mary.
There are many, many more.
You forgot authority; Catholics believe in apostolic succession that gives priests authority to teach (not just the ability, but some credibility vs. the 114th Street Theological Seminary and Secretarial School)
Dan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Apr 21, 2008
 

Judged:

12

9

7

Anthony wrote:
Grr typo in last line.. where is that edit button...
Wanted to make sure to add,
Ascension of Mary and her perpetual virginity...
The mystical belief in relics of saints...(tons have been faked to gain pilgrims and their money)
The belief that the Holy Roman Church can excommunicate you and remove you from heavens roster.
I am conviced that if people would read their Bibles for themselves they too would protest the Roman Catholic teachings... perhaps that is why that church tried so hard to keep the Bible from being printed in English for so long.
Notice I did not refer to their past Inquisitions, Crusades, and killing of believers who disagree with them as a reason not to be a part of it. Though some would cite those as reasons as well.
Anthony-

While the Bible was not printed in ANY language for centuries past the death of Christ, this doesn't stop Protestants from assuming their "Bible alone" beliefs, which effectively makes the start of Christianity dependent upon the invention of the printing press and the establishment of universal literacy.
Light Sensitive

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Apr 21, 2008
 

Judged:

6

5

4

Anthony wrote:
Grr typo in last line.. where is that edit button...
Wanted to make sure to add,
Ascension of Mary and her perpetual virginity...
The mystical belief in relics of saints...(tons have been faked to gain pilgrims and their money)
The belief that the Holy Roman Church can excommunicate you and remove you from heavens roster.
I am conviced that if people would read their Bibles for themselves they too would protest the Roman Catholic teachings... perhaps that is why that church tried so hard to keep the Bible from being printed in English for so long.
Notice I did not refer to their past Inquisitions, Crusades, and killing of believers who disagree with them as a reason not to be a part of it. Though some would cite those as reasons as well.
and in some form the Protestant sects can be shown to hold similar but not exact beliefs/teachings. the difference is you all scattered yourselves to the wind of dispute over other silly details of worship.
Light Sensitive

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 21, 2008
 

Judged:

9

8

7

Divine Alien wrote:
Be there are RCC or protestants, the groups are united under one roof, Jesus. I don't want to argue further about the rites of any denominations. Do as they want/wish as long as they are happy or pleased to worship God/Jesus in their own ways. PAD, you are great. If I were to judge you, I see that the spirit of Jesus is living in you. Praise be Jesus.
so why did you ask the Q, if you didnt want to hear all the reasons why there is a division...?

silly...did you think all these Prots wouldnt take the time to show you how WRONG your version is? thats on their top 5 list of priorities, to condemn all versions but theirs....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4192
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Roman Catholic Church Discussions

Search the Roman Catholic Church Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Who Is Allah? (Aug '07) 20 min bmz 200,075
'Running Priest' In Philippines Campaigns For Poor 32 min ELIAS IBARRA 36
Catholic bishops, educators vow to strengthen p... 55 min ELIAS IBARRA 22
Totus Tuus...all yours (Mar '12) 1 hr ELIAS IBARRA 140
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr marge 533,291
Pope to visit Sri Lanka, Philippines in... 2 hr Jaffna Fake Brahmin Dog 3
Bishop warns of priest sex abuse cases in Asia (Feb '12) 2 hr ELIAS IBARRA 170
•••
•••