In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 Full story: Spiked 47,724

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Full Story
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#34155 Aug 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Cheers, Wolvie!
Although like most big cities, it has its less savoury parts.
Yes, But Most Big Cities Attract Some Scum.....Lets Just Say It Looked Great On The O'le Telly....And Has Sparked An Intrerest To Visit.

“The eye has it...”

Since: Jan 12

Russell's teapot.

#34156 Aug 6, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
And just as I said, exposing a fake seance says not one thing about the existence of spirit or God or survival of consciousness after death.
Not one thing.
Well...it does point out that people can be fooled and deceived into thinking that whatever "supernatural" aspect of reality they think exists was being shown to them.

That says more about the perceptions of the people who believed that what they were witnessing or experienced was real, not the "supernatural", I'd agree.
wolverine

Greeley, CO

#34157 Aug 6, 2012
HTS wrote:
<quoted text>Define "supernatural"
The Intensity And Awesome Moves, As I Satisfy My Woman....LOL

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#34158 Aug 6, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
The biggest difference with Nixon is that he had to resign because members of his own party had a conscience and turned on him.
But the similarity is what is relevant. He also escaped justice.
Buck Crick wrote:
With Clinton, they closed ranks to harbor a felon.
You misspelled "Reagan".

Yes, with Nixon, both parties wanted justice.
By the time of Reagan, only one party wanted justice,
And by the time of Bush, neither.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#34159 Aug 6, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure here.
Are you faulting the Democrats for circling the wagons?
Or faulting the Republicans for having a conscience?
If you are PRAISING those Republicans, then why don't you man up and also praise John Dean instead of calling him a rat? What, his allegiance was to his boss, not to his country?
My memory is not clear on it, but it seems to me Dean had some involvement himself, or made false statements about his involvement. Then he turned and ratted.

There was some kind of court case with Dean and G. Gordon Liddy. Can't recall the details. G. Gordon says he's a rat and a liar. I suspect, as usual, the G-man is right.

The judge (Cirica?) put G. Gordon in a tough D.C. jail with some bad dudes to sweat him and make him talk. Went back in a few weeks, the G-man was running the place.

Fennario

#34160 Aug 6, 2012
HTS wrote:
I never suggested that ID was science. I don't think it is.
OK. It's hard to keep track of the players without a program.
HTS wrote:
Both ID and evolution are religions. If you think evolution is science, then let's see the math. I freely concede that I can't prove ID through math.
I think evolution is science. There is no math.

Fennario

#34161 Aug 6, 2012
Skombolis wrote:
[Skeptic] just wants to create an "us vs them" situation in hopes that will get him back into the good graces of the "us".
Skeptic is already OK with me.
Skombolis wrote:
I can only imagine what those on the same side of the issue feel. The only reason he has been tolerated this long I am sure if because he jumps in to try to defend people or is so vocal for being an atheist.
There's no tolerating involved. He's an ally.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#34162 Aug 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
You're speaking our language.
PS: It isn't really 'your' language. Like your DNA, English is a sloppy drunken mix of French & Spanish & German & other imports.

Location hidden

#34163 Aug 6, 2012
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't respect any members of the oreo cookie society. They are nothing but self-loathers. We have a great one of those here in Socal by the way, a radio guy by the name of Larry Elder. Check him out, he seems just the type of guy you admire. Identifies with the feed-the-rich, screw-the-little-guy, never-give-minorities-a-break Republicans.
And gee dude, I thought you were having your consciousness raised on homosexuality. Have you seen your West guy's comments and views? For Happy Lesbo's sake, at least distance yourself from his views on that one. Or else, here's a very public "shame on you" to you.
"Oreo Cookie"?

That's a tinge racist.

"Feed the rich"? They got you with that class envy crap, huh?

You got half the people in this nation living off the wealthier half by government force, Cletcher. What do you want? 60% on the dole? 80%?

How has voting as a block for democrats for 50 years served minorities? Have you looked at their poverty and unemployment rates? Is it working out? Blacks were better-off under Jim Crow than today by electing democrats.

"We might think of dollars as being "certificates of performance." The better I serve my fellow man, and the higher the value he places on that service, the more certificates of performance he gives me. The more certificates I earn, the greater my claim on the goods my fellow man produces. That's the morality of the market. In order for one to have a claim on what his fellow man produces, he must first serve him. Contrast that moral standard to Congress' standing offer, "Vote for me and I'll take what your fellow man produces and give it to you." -- Walter Williams (black guy)

Location hidden

#34164 Aug 6, 2012
Mikko wrote:
<quoted text>
nope you liar fŲr jesus
stalin = communist
pol pot - theravada buddhist
mao = communist who though himself a god
Stalin = atheist
Pol Pot = atheist
Mao = atheist

Do stop comparing apples to oranges, we aren't talking political parties.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#34165 Aug 6, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>There's nothing left for man to adapt "to". All genes, including the worst ones, make it into the gene pool now. There's nothing left to challenge genes except viral disease and considering the high birth rate of the genetically unlucky I don't see a positive future in store for the masses of aimless fckrs.
Man to vampires. Read that somewhere. Seems appropiate.

Location hidden

#34166 Aug 6, 2012
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you're going to be waiting a long time because the first thing that needs to happen is for you to demonstrate your intention to actually honour a bet.
Sweetgums: you don't know a damn thing about honor.

BUCK BUCK BUCK BUCK-ALLL!

Fennario

#34167 Aug 6, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
And in that spirit, you are equivalent to a suicide bomber.
barefoot2626 wrote:
Sure, that makes sense. The majority of the world's population (some 90 percent, conservatively) are suicide bombers because they believe in a holy book.
Did you think my claim was irrational? It was. That was the point, although apparently Skomboli had no problem with it. From http://www.topix.com/forum/religion/atheism/T... :
Skombolis wrote:
I believe in God based on faith. A suicide bomber believes in God based on faith. We do have that in common.

Just because I have some things in common with a suicide bomber doesn't mean I share the characteristics that must exist for an extremist to justify killing innocent people.
What I would have said to Skomboli had I answered his post when I saw it was that that association will demean him. And if that were my purpose, I would yoke him to suicide bombers repeatedly, as the Christians attempt to yoke reason to guessing by calling them both faith - obviously.

Location hidden

#34168 Aug 6, 2012
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
The prize is real.
The ability to win it is not.
It's been investigated. There is no money.

Amazing Randi is a proven liar and fraud.

He (his committee) gets to select who tries for the prize, and gets to decide if it is a satisfactory demonstration. Satisfactory will never occur.

He has faked people's evidence, then gone on his website and trashed them. People have tried to get elgible to compete for the prize, he turns them down, then goes on his website and lies about them.

He has been sued at least twice and a verdict rendered that he lied and slandered people about their work.

Incidentally,'Amazing' offered the Smithsonian $20,000. if they would not show a film about Intelligent Design.

He's for open investigation - yeah, right.

Location hidden

#34169 Aug 6, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I said he had to resign because members of his party had a conscience - republicans in Congress.
YOU ARE FULL OF CRAP.

He resigned because HE knew he would be impeached. The "conscious" of the GOP party had absolutely NOTHING to do with Nixon resigning.

ZERO.

He resigned because his handful of GOP supporters told him that there was not a thing they could do to keep him out of jail should the impeachment proceed and other charges pressed.

And the "conscious" of the GOP spoke loudly when Ford pardon him.

Location hidden

#34170 Aug 6, 2012
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
But the similarity is what is relevant. He also escaped justice.
<quoted text>
You misspelled "Reagan".
Yes, with Nixon, both parties wanted justice.
By the time of Reagan, only one party wanted justice,
And by the time of Bush, neither.
The difference is also relevant to our changing political culture.

Nixon's fate was sealed because of his staunch anti-communist history. He outed Alger Hiss as a communist spy, and the left was out to get him for it. He handed them the sword.

Liberals don't like communists being exposed, for some reason.

Democrats harbored a felon, the only one adjudicated to have been a felon in the office of the president.

Reagan committed no crime that anyone has determined.

Location hidden

#34171 Aug 6, 2012
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Before Reagan and Bush I - U.S.S.R. and it's threat of world domination.
The Cold War was over by 1980.

It warmed up when that senile old twad gave his evil empire speech.

Fennario

#34172 Aug 6, 2012
RHill wrote:
You gotta admit that entering all this "junk DNA" vrs "fully functional DNA" as evidence for ID ... the average godbot ain't coming up with it and it's "echoing" down the chain of command to the foot soldiers. Is that not the gist of what you were saying?
Exactly. The propaganda just appears one week in venues like Topix. First, one poster uses a phrase you haven't seen before, and by week's end, two more. That's how you know that something new is rattling through the echo chamber.

And of course, the poster doesn't know why. Most of this propaganda is probably for them. I doubt that the Christians generating this drivel expect it to convince you or me. But the Christians need reassurance. Here's something I posted to one about 18 months ago. See if this sounds right to you :

"Dude - the material is written for you, not us. It's authors are no so inexperienced as to send you out there armed with blanks, or to not know that their arguments are ineffective. They already know their crap never works - on rationalists. So who is it written for? You.

"But you're already a beleiver, right? Why do you need propaganda? Because the ranks believers are falling fast from the ranks and becoming nonbelievers. And it is due in large part to the triumphs of science embarrassing your clergy time and again. This material is to assuage YOUR doubts, not mine.

"So, why don't they tell you? Why should they? First, it makes the arguments less believable to you, their intended target, if you are told that the reason they are rejected is that they are not convincing or logically sound. And second, your handlers know that you'll never notice the evidence or reason any of this out. Like a good little magical-thinking, faith-based thinker, you will never question any of what you have been told or question the idea that your arguments fail because of Satan.

"Why is it that your apologetics only work on people that want to believe them, yet nobody in your camp seems concerned or surprised by this obvious fact?"

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#34173 Aug 6, 2012
ChristineM wrote:
Why are you still promoting that Ehrman vid? Itís a blatant ad for one of his books, itís sketchy and in some places downright wrong and contradictory to evidential fact
Ehrman is on your side. Yes Ehrman writes books and they sell. He makes money. Besides being a PH.D. with thirty or so years experience. He actually writes books people read and discuss.
On further investigation I find that Bart Ehrman is a Ďformerí christian
Are you suspicious of ''former christians''? With allies like you, who needs enemies?
Bart Ehrman's Did Jesus Exist? The Historical Argument for Jesus of Nazareth was criticized by both atheists and fundamentalist Christians alike for itís ignorance of known facts;.
Criticized yes. What known facts?
He is a hero in Moslim circles for his anti christian rhetoric.
Hero? A dubious honor? Muslems read too? Buy his books?
Yeah go shoot yourself in the foot.
Are you writing symbolicially?
The wiki pages are as I expected. Not only written with a distinctly christian bias
Wiki Christian bias? LOL!!!
but even the wording is taken out of context as is the christian way.
Wiki, secret Christian site. Who'd a thunk?
A one book source does not constitute a history. Much of what is written in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_Jesus has alternate and independently documented sources.
There are footnotes. What is it with you? You are deep in denial.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_J... is worse in that it tries to prove the gospel texts (already known to be carefully selected by committee) are historical proof.
Wiki is evil!

“Jesus is Love”

Since: Jul 12

Hutchinson, MN

#34174 Aug 6, 2012
nanoanomaly wrote:
<quoted text>Jews have kept immaculate, detailed genealogical records of all births since long before Jesus was born.
" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliyah" ;
It's how they track their Messiah's "coming" and rights to "the Homecoming". The rabbis know Jesus existed; they just don't recognize him as their prophesied Messiah.
Exactly.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Atheism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atheists Aren't the Problem, Christian Intolera... 1 hr serfs up 2,617
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 2 hr thetruth 233,133
Is 'naturalism' a bleak philosophical outlook? ... 2 hr thetruth 10
Christians More Supportive of Torture Than Non-... 2 hr thetruth 21
Evidence for God! 2 hr thetruth 371
Science Disproves Evolution (Aug '12) 2 hr thetruth 1,456
Atheism to Defeat Religion by 2038 (Apr '12) 2 hr thetruth 23,261
More from around the web