Future of religion questioned as atheists gather

Apr 13, 2012 | Posted by: Palawa | Full story: www.abc.net.au

Religion will be a non-event in Australia within two generations according to the head of the country's atheist foundation.

Comments (Page 29)

Showing posts 561 - 580 of724
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Celtic bard

Moorabbin, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#581
May 9, 2012
 

Judged:

4

4

1

ZombieBabyJesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Define "right wing".
ZBJ
Opposing to left wing principles
JJJ

Sydney, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#582
May 9, 2012
 

Judged:

3

3

1

sairla wrote:
<. I certainly don't believe in any deity as manifested in religious faiths - but I respect those who do provided they don't attempt to impose their beliefs on others - and that has, and continues to be, the situation with the major religions - insisting they have a monopoly on knowledge of the unknown.
I think respect has nothing to do with the content of person's beliefs but is all about how they conduct themselves. The word 'enlightenment' is often associated with discussions pertaining to spirituality and the origins of existence...

The thing is I have never met a person that is genuinely on the path to enlightment that does not already conduct themselves in a respectful and courteous manner.

Good manners and respect cost nothing in fact they add value to society, on the other hand bad manners and a lack of respect have a high negative cost to society and the aspect of all this that ill mannered disrespectful people seem to be ignorant of.....

Is the fact that they are the ones being hurt the most.

“Politics and Religion”

Since: Apr 12

http://aussie-site.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#583
May 9, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Celtic bard wrote:
<quoted text>
Opposing to left wing principles
LOL. Which "left wing principles" do I oppose?

Oh and BTW what has it got to do with lack of belief in a deity?

ZBJ

“Politics and Religion”

Since: Apr 12

http://aussie-site.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#584
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

carync wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a trip. First time a heard right wing and atheist described in the same breath about someone. Unfortunately, right wing has come to mean religious fundamentalist. And come to generally be viewed as the repulican party. It wasn't always that way. Times change, sides get picked.
I used to consider myself republican, because I am certainly a fiscal conservative. Reagan days. I am unaffiliated now. I cannot subscribe to any political party, just like any religion. Libertarian describes me best. But I'm not a card carrying member of that group either. I will vote for the person that reflects my views on the issues that are most important to me. And offends me by their views the least. Thank goodness Santorum didn't get the nomination. Or Huckabee before. Nobody will reflect all my views, but one will bother me least. Sad.
Thing is this is the aussie forum and republicans in australia are anti-monarchists. Liberals are supposedly the "right wing" but both major parties are the same I dunno what what they are - fascist maybe. Certainly doesnt have anything to do with religion though. Our PM is an atheist (labour party).

ZBJ
pysch

Camberwell, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#585
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

ziffle wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you enjoy nitpicking over spelling, thought you might want to know that that "cretan" (sic) is spelt C-R-E-T-I-N.
If you have a predilection for name calling, at least spell it correctly.
Thank you.
Now that you have my attention, what exactly do you want?
pysch

Camberwell, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#586
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

ziffle wrote:
<quoted text>
This comment is dumb. "Gawd" is merely implying the tone in which he would like it read.
You are discrediting yourself by nitpicking like that.
Thankyou, now we all can sleep much easier tonight.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#587
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

ZombieBabyJesus wrote:
<quoted text>
Thing is this is the aussie forum and republicans in australia are anti-monarchists. Liberals are supposedly the "right wing" but both major parties are the same I dunno what what they are - fascist maybe. Certainly doesnt have anything to do with religion though. Our PM is an atheist (labour party).
ZBJ
It has everything to do with religion, how do you think Gillard got into power and why she won't support gay marriage, nor reduce funding to religious school, instead of increasing it to almost double that goes to public schools in this budget.

All our parliaments are controlled by the religious, that's why they get away with so many lies and abhorrent acts without every being brought before the courts. If a normal person failed to report an abuse or crime, they would end up in court themselves, but the religious elite, they are immune to prosecution, as it seems are politicians and bureaucrats in most cases.

They control them via the cross party prayer groups they have, which meets at east once a week to pray and discuss religious political directions and how to implement their control.

How do you think the churches ended up running government unemployment agencies, they have also taken over welfare housing, got government paid preachers into government schools who have no useful qualifications at all.

The religious control the gambling industry and alcohol industry, check out who owns shares in some of the worst companies on the planet.
pysch

Camberwell, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#588
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

ZombieBabyJesus wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Which "left wing principles" do I oppose?
Oh and BTW what has it got to do with lack of belief in a deity?
ZBJ
So Atheism has a lot to do with politics et al?
I don't care wether you are a god believer.
I am only interested in the way society now operates without the god / church factor. Read previous comments from De botton.
Are sure you want to live in world as illustrated by Rand and to a lesser degree Hitchins??
In fact Rand has been dubbed a right wing atheist, her antics, policies bear evidence of this according to many writers....believers and non believers.
To believe this will not have a flow effect from the US is somewhat insular.
pysch

Camberwell, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#589
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

Palawa wrote:
<quoted text>
It has everything to do with religion, how do you think Gillard got into power and why she won't support gay marriage, nor reduce funding to religious school, instead of increasing it to almost double that goes to public schools in this budget.
All our parliaments are controlled by the religious, that's why they get away with so many lies and abhorrent acts without every being brought before the courts. If a normal person failed to report an abuse or crime, they would end up in court themselves, but the religious elite, they are immune to prosecution, as it seems are politicians and bureaucrats in most cases.
They control them via the cross party prayer groups they have, which meets at east once a week to pray and discuss religious political directions and how to implement their control.
How do you think the churches ended up running government unemployment agencies, they have also taken over welfare housing, got government paid preachers into government schools who have no useful qualifications at all.
The religious control the gambling industry and alcohol industry, check out who owns shares in some of the worst companies on the planet.
I think we know this?

“Politics and Religion”

Since: Apr 12

http://aussie-site.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#590
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Palawa wrote:
<quoted text>
It has everything to do with religion, how do you think Gillard got into power and why she won't support gay marriage, nor reduce funding to religious school, instead of increasing it to almost double that goes to public schools in this budget.
All our parliaments are controlled by the religious, that's why they get away with so many lies and abhorrent acts without every being brought before the courts. If a normal person failed to report an abuse or crime, they would end up in court themselves, but the religious elite, they are immune to prosecution, as it seems are politicians and bureaucrats in most cases.
They control them via the cross party prayer groups they have, which meets at east once a week to pray and discuss religious political directions and how to implement their control.
How do you think the churches ended up running government unemployment agencies, they have also taken over welfare housing, got government paid preachers into government schools who have no useful qualifications at all.
The religious control the gambling industry and alcohol industry, check out who owns shares in some of the worst companies on the planet.
But gillard is an atheist apparently. I do not understand her stance on gay marriage. I agree with the rest prolly.

ZBJ

“Politics and Religion”

Since: Apr 12

http://aussie-site.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#591
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

pysch wrote:
<quoted text>
So Atheism has a lot to do with politics et al?
I don't care wether you are a god believer.
I am only interested in the way society now operates without the god / church factor. Read previous comments from De botton.
Are sure you want to live in world as illustrated by Rand and to a lesser degree Hitchins??
In fact Rand has been dubbed a right wing atheist, her antics, policies bear evidence of this according to many writers....believers and non believers.
To believe this will not have a flow effect from the US is somewhat insular.
No. It has nothing to do with politics. I did not say that. I ask asking some weirdo why they said I was "right wing" just because i dont believe in fairy tales.

I have no idea who rand is. Is it some american? Why do you have Australia as your location?

ZBJ

“Politics and Religion”

Since: Apr 12

http://aussie-site.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#592
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

Just to be clear. I have made 1 point so far. Ppl have abused me and ppl have failed to grasp it but just so you are clear here it is again.

Atheism is a lack of belief in a deity.

Thats it. Its not a group. Its not a religion. Its not an ideology. Its just a lack of belief in a deity.

ZBJ

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#593
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

ZombieBabyJesus wrote:
<quoted text>
But gillard is an atheist apparently. I do not understand her stance on gay marriage. I agree with the rest prolly.
ZBJ
The only reason she is in power is because of the religious right, in a world which is increasingly becoming disturbed by religion, to have a supposed non believer as the figure head, gives them the ability to push their agenda's whilst claiming non involvement in policy or direction and therefore avoid blame. Because of her greed for power and ego, she's the scape goat for them, once they are in the position they think the need to be, she will be gone and in will come a real nutter.

Gillard happily gave our money for the pope to come, she attends various religious functions and services. You see her lots of times with the religious elite, no real non believer would do that, it's so hypocritical.

“Politics and Religion”

Since: Apr 12

http://aussie-site.com

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#594
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Palawa wrote:
<quoted text>
The only reason she is in power is because of the religious right, in a world which is increasingly becoming disturbed by religion, to have a supposed non believer as the figure head, gives them the ability to push their agenda's whilst claiming non involvement in policy or direction and therefore avoid blame. Because of her greed for power and ego, she's the scape goat for them, once they are in the position they think the need to be, she will be gone and in will come a real nutter.
Gillard happily gave our money for the pope to come, she attends various religious functions and services. You see her lots of times with the religious elite, no real non believer would do that, it's so hypocritical.
Yeah. Bit hard to debate you on this because i agree.

ZBJ
pysch

Camberwell, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#595
May 10, 2012
 
Palawa wrote:
<quoted text>
The only reason she is in power is because of the religious right, in a world which is increasingly becoming disturbed by religion, to have a supposed non believer as the figure head, gives them the ability to push their agenda's whilst claiming non involvement in policy or direction and therefore avoid blame. Because of her greed for power and ego, she's the scape goat for them, once they are in the position they think the need to be, she will be gone and in will come a real nutter.
Gillard happily gave our money for the pope to come, she attends various religious functions and services. You see her lots of times with the religious elite, no real non believer would do that, it's so hypocritical.
Yes.
pysch

Camberwell, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#596
May 10, 2012
 
ZombieBabyJesus wrote:
Just to be clear. I have made 1 point so far. Ppl have abused me and ppl have failed to grasp it but just so you are clear here it is again.
Atheism is a lack of belief in a deity.
Thats it. Its not a group. Its not a religion. Its not an ideology. Its just a lack of belief in a deity.
ZBJ
I admire your sincerity, but please go and read about those ppl....rand etc.. I wish it was not as simple as not believing in a god....I think it is much more complex than that and troubling too.

While Palalwlalalawa plays the blame game, he is essentially correct (LOL) BUT BUT we need to also look beyond the god / church factor ..........De botton is in some ways on the right track, that is: A post theist society..........But retaining cultural practices which never belonged to the church any way.

Rand and co. use atheism as a vehicle for power......this is clearly wrong problematic in the political sphere.

Since: Jan 12

Where The Wild Things Grow

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#597
May 10, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

JJJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I think respect has nothing to do with the content of person's beliefs but is all about how they conduct themselves. The word 'enlightenment' is often associated with discussions pertaining to spirituality and the origins of existence...
The thing is I have never met a person that is genuinely on the path to enlightment that does not already conduct themselves in a respectful and courteous manner.
Good manners and respect cost nothing in fact they add value to society, on the other hand bad manners and a lack of respect have a high negative cost to society and the aspect of all this that ill mannered disrespectful people seem to be ignorant of.....
Is the fact that they are the ones being hurt the most.
I think you are right, I'm sure that if, for example, a truly devout Catholic were to have a conversation with an equally devout Buddhist, the dialogue would be entirely respectful - as you say, it's about personal conduct more than the beliefs each hold.
LMR

Altona, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#598
May 10, 2012
 
ZombieBabyJesus wrote:
<quoted text>
But gillard is an atheist apparently. I do not understand her stance on gay marriage. I agree with the rest prolly.
ZBJ
She doesn't really have a stance on anything and denying the right of gays to marry probably seemed, to her, the safer option politically.
LMR

Altona, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#599
May 10, 2012
 
pysch wrote:
<quoted text>
I think we know this?
By "Pysch" do you mean "psych"?
pysch

Camberwell, Australia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#600
May 10, 2012
 
LMR wrote:
<quoted text>
By "Pysch" do you mean "psych"?
no.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 561 - 580 of724
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••