In America, atheists are still in the closet

Apr 11, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Spiked

So do many other interest and identity groups. Complaint is our political lingua franca: it's what Occupiers, Tea Partiers, Wall Street titans, religious and irreligious people share.

Comments (Page 903)

Showing posts 18,041 - 18,060 of47,734
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

barefoot2626 wrote:
<quoted text>Give us a break then and stop posting.
The majority here would rather you did.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Nontheist wrote:
<quoted text>Here's an idea...

You try it.
I've been trying to get him to do that for a while now.

He won't because he knows he'll drown and go to hell

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>He is called "ignorant of the concept of deities".
Atheist works.

Without theism.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Nobody was tortured.
So when are you going to let me water board you?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Judged:

Nontheist wrote:
<quoted text>
I snipped the rest of your post because it just illustrated over and over what those two passages exampled pretty well.
Yeah, I mean, after the angel strike, the little mishap in the garden, then the flood fiasco, your deity was just out there slingin' anything against the wall hoping it'd stick.
What was it thinking?
OH, yeah, you can tell me.
Funny, that.
Does an omniscient deity even think?
<quoted text>
HAHAHA...for all you know your mythical deity has tossed the Jesus on the scrap heap and is gonna try a pyramid scheme or lottery tickets.
<quoted text>
What a hoot.
I will just copy my last reply to yet another poster:

"Again, if this was meant as an insult try again. Although I am noticing a trend. If you don't have a legitimate argument simply resort to trying to insult someone's beliefs. As shocking as this may sound, what people I have never meant think about what I believe spiritually doesn't matter to me. It is actually shocking how many people seem to think it would, even setting aside the immaturity of the tactic."

:)

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Religion has obviously "affected" you quite a lot.

To the point of making you a spiteful fool.
And you're such a loving, considerate, just plain wonderful human being.

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>
When you and your dad were your sister, who went first?
.. was that really necessary ??..

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're wonderful that way!
Now...can I have some?!?
.. yes, tonight, 7:00 your time ..

“free your mind.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Judged:

True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Slavery can indeed be a very broad term if one thinks about it. Let alone religion and philosophy, many people are slaves to the bank. If they don't pay, they can very well lose all their possessions, depending on how deep in debt they are. It's a contract they willingly signed.
In certain arab and egyptian tribes, a hired person doing menial things like housework or gardenwork, is called a slave, merely because of the simplicity and meagerness of the work. It has nothing to do with self imposition or not.
We are all slaves in one way or another. Many people do a job everyday that they hate but have to do it otherwise they'll have no money to survive.
In the west we think of slavery as half naked men being whipped to do a job, in bondage for life, treated as possessions, sold from cages, getting paid only in food. But slavery is a lot more broader than that.
I agree.
Although there is no real comparison between the abuse of slavery in the commonly understood definition, and so called 'free' people living their everyday lives, nevertheless most of us are 'slaves' to something.
Most of us are 'slaves to the system'.. The system encourages young people to have an extended education, to get a responsible job, to have a family, to buy a house. The parent spends 40 years in employment to keep the job to keep paying the mortgage to maintain the family. When older the children of that family are further maintained and inducted as slaves to the system by having their university expenses paid by the parents.. and so the system is maintained and the slavery continues to the next generation. Once the parent becomes to old to work and can no longer contribute to the system, they are expected to use the collateral in their property to keep them in their old age in a residential/ nursing home. It's a racket...Without the cooperation of the 'slaves', the system would collapse.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Nontheist wrote:
It's fascinating to see each obsession you develop on this thread.
For someone that seems to be so hung up on the nuances of words and language, I'm amazed at how rigid you can be with such an ever evolving medium.
We'd likely be speaking and writing in some variation of Eald Englisc, be gode, gif ■&#363; habban Úower w&#299;se, nß?
<quoted text>
It's okay. This response isn't for you, either.
<quoted text> Insofar as it's impossible for a newborn to have the belief of the theist, by default it would have no theistic belief. Is that atheist?
It certainly isn't theist.
So what? A newborn baby has little *thought* of anything, other than hunger, bowel movement, sleep, succor. None of that qualifies as reasoned thought. A newborn baby doesn't believe in Santa, prefer football over baseball and doesn't care what your clothes look like. It doesn't know if it'll like scrambled eggs or pancakes or anything of that sort and more until it is introduced to those things and taught what they are, exposed to them and told what or how to think of them, or can experience them and decide for his or her self what to think of whatever it may be.
At the least, this suggests that theism and *pretty much* all else is taught or learned, as you will so eloquently point out in your last statement.
Newborn --to--> children are really impressionable early on. Whatever you tell them, they generally and literally accept as unshakable fact, at least until an older age.
A newborn is like a blank slate.
<quoted text> Are you saying that rocks or pool tables are theists?
Did you catch my use of *blank slate*^up^ there? It was a cue. HAR HAR HARRRR!
You set me up for that. Chalk one up for the old eagle eye and luck. I love the way you can spin stuff with the right application of English. What a bust. I felt it, did you?
Thanks for the bump and chance to run that much slop with so little effort.
OH, and make sure to try the waitress and tip the punch before you leave!
<quoted text>You answered your first question just now, and the key word is,*teacher*.
Children are taught.
Thanks for the comment. For reasons that defy conventional theist thought, my son makes very good grades, is very polite, cares about people and gets in none, and I mean freekin none of the trouble that other of his friends have or do.
The friends I mentioned earlier, allŚ>theists, and from birth Ś as you seem to think.
Your opinion of my parenting capabilities is exactly what I'm used to. I've come to expect it, and that tells me I've done the right things. He'll soon be 16.
Not too bad for a single dad(AN ATHEIST!...lions and tigers and bears, OH MY!), eh?
He shoots better than I do, too, at pool and things utilizing velocity and spin.
People tell me he has my eyes.
At least one of them.
Praise the fnord.
Rack'em, Chauncey.■)
"HwŠt! We Gardena in geardagum,
■eodcyninga,■rym gefrunon,
hu ­a Š■elingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing scea■ena ■reatum..."

“free your mind.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. was that really necessary ??..
Hi HL.. ignore the comments of those of no consequence.

You responded to one of my posts a couple of days back re 'the ego' which i meant to respond to but is now too far back to find.. so apologies for not doing so..
unless you can remember your points and refresh my memory..!

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>My ass is an atheist.

Coincidentally, it has the same intelligence as you.
We know it's what you talk out of, but all it talks is shit.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Judged:

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say it contradicts itself. But yes I do think some verses are open to interpretation. Why do you care? You don't believe or follow the bible. Again, if this was meant as an insult try again. Although I am noticing a trend. If you don't have a legitimate argument simply resort to trying to insult someone's beliefs. As shocking as this may sound, what people I have never meant think about what I believe spiritually doesn't matter to me. It is actually shocking how many people seem to think it would, even setting aside the immaturity of the tactic.
If you view what I wrote as an insult, you either have a remarkably thin skin or you're just looking for a fight.

I was merely pointing out that the bible is vague and contradictory.

“free your mind.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
We are humans. Everyone has some irrational attributes to them. Some believe in an infinite God, others in an infinite universe. Then there's football zealots, even resorting to hooliganism for a team they own no shares in. Hell, some people even have a favourite colour. I have yet to learn what the hell that means.
It's the product of imagination and free independent thinking.
Some people are so afraid to admit it. I don't fully understand why. They like to think of themselves as logical, rational, having a perfectly rational explanation for everything they stand by. They get embarassed when their irrationality gets revealed to them. Perhaps it implies a lack of self control.
The way I see it, for most humans it isn't all that important to strive to eliminate rationality and assert logic. The most successful people in history have all become successful not by suppressing emotional and irrationality, but rather by harnessing both emotion and rationality at the correct time and circumstance. And they challenged and pushed the boundaries of rationality.
If God exist, I don't think God would ever be understood completely.
Yes the irrationality of humans is something that bewilders and frustrates me.
Is it irrational to have a favourite colour..? I like green and yellow myself..(if i can have two..!.. hey wait, isn't that the springboks..? coincidence i assure you..!)
The furore of football seems irrational.. all that fuss surrounding kicking a ball about..a boys game elevated to patriotic like fervour and big business..
As life goes on i increasingly see the bizarre in what is considered ordinary.
Pure rationality can be limiting, as you imply.
I also consider that emotion and imagination can inspire and motivate human beings... help us to feel more connected, to regard each other compassionately, to enjoy beauty and mystery.
I guess rationality is what keeps us grounded,.. however my imagination wanders I ultimately examine its rationality before committing those ideas to logical acceptance.

I think we are agreed about the proposed nature of god, here..

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Judged:

Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It's still infinite even after you take a bite.
The path just turns and goes the other way; then back again, repeatedly for infinity.
There is just no way a donut can cease to be infinite in length.
I've racked my brain on it.
Darwin's DickSuck and IAnus are right.
The Infinite Length Donut Theory stands.
Tell me, Buck, why do you feel the need to keep lying about what I have said? Does it fill some deep seated need for you? Or are you just a pathological liar and can't help yourself?

And tell me this...Just what does the "length of a donut" mean?

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Nontheist wrote:
<quoted text>((EDITED))So, I dunno, was he born an atheist?Or, was he not told he was a theist after he was born?You tell me.
.. as usual, awesome post Nontheist ..

.. hoping HFY & AIN will provide some insight regarding the brain's development ..

.. hoping Buck will give his input on the spiritual capacity of the young brain ..

.. would be an interesting debate ..

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

madscot wrote:
<quoted text>
You were when you posted your gay sex fantasy.
.. how did you find our Topix thread ??..

.. who told you? HFY? River? Nymph ??..

.. please, don't let anyone else know ..

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Just Think wrote:
<quoted text>
If you view what I wrote as an insult, you either have a remarkably thin skin or you're just looking for a fight.
I was merely pointing out that the bible is vague and contradictory.
I think you meant it as an insult. If it bothered me I would have thin-skin, it didn't.

But jumping into a conversation to say this:

"So the bible is unclear, vague, AND contradicts itself?

Um...yeah..."

based on my post saying i think some verses are open to interpretation is looking to be congenial? If you say so.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

IRYW wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, I had no idea you were as dense as bareass. Of course it wasn't an actual argument. It was sarcasm. Fallacy of equivocation; how can you not recognize it since it permeates your posts?
Buck has suffered from repeated head trauma in his life.

We should maybe cut him some slack. That tiny brain has a lot of room to slosh around in that overgrown skull.

With Established Harem

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2012

Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow you sound like some Christians do when talking about gays. But I don't we need more people deciding things that are legal and guaranteed under the constitution should obliterated because you don't like them. Pretty ironic huh?
.. so, you support same-sex marriage ??..

.. good for you !!..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 18,041 - 18,060 of47,734
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••