Lawsuit filed against ex-minister, school district and church

May 8, 2012 Full story: The News-Gazette 10

One of the victims of Andrew L. Thomas, a former youth minister and coach convicted of sexual abuse and sexual exploitation of children, has filed a lawsuit against Thomas and his former employers, the Rossville-Alvin school district and Rossville Church of Christ, alleging negligence.

Full Story
Thats Funny

United States

#1 Jun 19, 2012
Hear I thought the victims family wanted justice....turns out they want money.

Im just curious how the school district and the church were negligent in hiring someone with no criminal record, and no history of any problems?
Thats Funny

Chicago, IL

#3 Jun 20, 2012
Not if it wasnt the people he's suings fault...might as well sue the internet provider, the cell phone provider, the local, county and state police, Vermilion county, and the state of Illinois....all of whom bear just as much responsibility as the places he worked...Who actually had the gall to hire someone with no previous criminal record.

Who sends their kids for overnights with a non-family member without doing some checking?
Sounds like they should sue themselves.

If you feel so bad, send them a check. You bear as much responsibility as the entities they're suing.
Thats Funny

Chicago, IL

#4 Jun 20, 2012
[QUOTE who="???"]<quoted text>
So you feel that the minor isn't worthy of compensation for the damage that was done?[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I'd be curious to know how they were negligent? Do you have a criminal record? No? So should your employer never have hired you anyway? Do employers have some secret way of reading thoughts now?

Are Trayvon's parents suing George Zimmerman's employer and church? Why not? They would bear the same responsibility.

Why not sue the man who committed the crime?
Probably because there is not enough money in it.

Sorry if this seems cold...Im sorry for the victim, but that doesn't mean its time to cash out. The perp is in jail. He's not going to hurt anyone else.

And explain to me how putting a dollar amount on a tragedy doesnt cheapen it?
???

Alvin, IL

#5 Jun 20, 2012
Well just as everyone in the community felt Mr Thomas wasn't guilty of such a horrific crime, let's just ask "what if". What if they were negligent? Maybe again, we shouldn't judge the motives of the family. I imagine there are a lot of things that could play into their decision. That is the purpose behind lawsuits, let the courts decide.
Jane Doe

New Ross, IN

#6 Jun 20, 2012
Walk a mile in our shoes and then judge us!
This Doe knows

Saint George, UT

#7 Jun 23, 2012
I know alot of what happened, as I am related to "ONE" of the boys, yes there were more than one. This boy was put thru hell for finally standing up against that church, the school, the town, the church and the school had "some" knowledge of what was going on, their comments during the trial and actions proved it. This monster thomas knew exactly what he was doing and will rot in jail the rest of his life. The only compensation that is being requested is for a college fund for the boy, I feel that what innocence was taken from him is at least worth that much.
Jane Doe

Alvin, IL

#8 Jun 23, 2012
This Doe knows wrote:
I know alot of what happened, as I am related to "ONE" of the boys, yes there were more than one. This boy was put thru hell for finally standing up against that church, the school, the town, the church and the school had "some" knowledge of what was going on, their comments during the trial and actions proved it. This monster thomas knew exactly what he was doing and will rot in jail the rest of his life. The only compensation that is being requested is for a college fund for the boy, I feel that what innocence was taken from him is at least worth that much.
Just goes to show you...the above comment posted by a family member isn't even accurate.
Rossville Mom

United States

#9 Jun 26, 2012
How can you put a price tag on the emotional & mental damage that was caused to this victim & the family? When a criminal has to pay restitution for damaging property, no one seems to argue that. The damage inflicted to these children cannot be measured.
"The perp is in jail. He's not going to hurt anyone else" YES HE IS!!!!! Thanks only to this amazingly brave child!!! And so do you think the hurt & anguish he caused immediately ended & was completely erased? If you have not been through it yourself, you have no idea the cost of what actually CAN be measured- the cost of therapy for the child & the entire family, the cost of lost wages, doctor's appointments, medications, etc. etc, All expenses that were the result of having to go through something so horrible, something they did not ask for. And how can you put a price tag on the effects it will have on the child in the future? No one will ever know the extent to which this child has been traumatized.
Do I condone suing McDonald's over hot coffee? Absolutely not! Is being awarded money going to take any of their pain away? Absolutely not! And the people who understand that more than anyone are the victims! But in my opinion, if a law-suit makes organizations think twice about their responsibility in keeping our children safe then so be it. I guarantee policies are now & will be put in place because they are having to really consider the risk of this happening again. It's all too easy to return to the mentality that it won't happen here in our town, in our school. But dealing with real consequences may be the only way to ensure real change and vigilance. I love that Church & I love that school, but I love my child more. And no one can put a price tag on the peace of mind from knowing that my child is safe in the two places we should trust the most.
And honestly, if you have not been through something like this yourself, your opinion really has no merit at all. "Who sends their child for overnights with a non-family member without doing some checking?" Seriously?? You obviously dont know much about the statistics of child abuse. And beyond that, Thomas was a Church leader, born & raised here whom everyone trusted. The victims are not to blame! Have you or has anyone you know ever let their child stay overnight with a friend who has an older sibling? Because it can happen in a situation as simple as that, and it happens all of the time, more than most people realize. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I just hope the families involved realize they should continue to do whatever is best for them & for their child because their child's well-being is the only thing that matters here- not the comments of some who couldnt possibly understand what you have been through.
This doe knows

United States

#10 Jun 29, 2012
Jane Doe wrote:
<quoted text>
Just goes to show you...the above comment posted by a family member isn't even accurate.
sorry I guess I misunderstood what I had been told a long while ago,i knew I should of let go the comment from the ass in chicago and not respond, im not sorry for careing about what happens in his life
Jane Doe

Alvin, IL

#11 Jun 29, 2012
This doe knows wrote:
<quoted text>sorry I guess I misunderstood what I had been told a long while ago,i knew I should of let go the comment from the ass in chicago and not respond, im not sorry for careing about what happens in his life
Just don't want there to be any confusion! I fully appreciate 90 % of the post...and no one is questioning your care and concern. It is appreciated. Unfortunately you can't control people's opinions. They obviously have never been in our shoes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Federal Prisons Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
40-Year Sentence Upheld For Drug Dealer Milburn (Jan '09) Wed MaidennameMilburn 6
SUNY Canton sophomore charged with making anony... Oct 26 beardawg 1
Ex-Bridgeport official cleared of sex abuse Oct 23 American Gentlema... 1
Confidential informants a valuable asset walkin... Oct 17 maskedtex 1
Alleged gang members go before federal judge (Aug '08) Oct 14 Belle 55
Soldiers smuggle immigrants: Conspiring US mili... Oct 12 What In THE Hell 3
Tallmadge massage parlor owner charged after po... Oct 11 June Bug Fong 4

Federal Prisons People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE