Americans heading to Mexico for discount dentistry

Aug 24, 2007 Full story: ABC15.com 113

“There is a whole world out there that has equally qualified dental professionals.”

Click the play button on the video window to the right to see the story More than a million people in Arizona do not have health insurance. via ABC15.com

Full Story
ShawLan

Irving, TX

#26 Feb 19, 2008
I live in Texas and have some church members that got their treatment in Mexico. They got a root canal treatment and gold crowns done with half the price in the US. One of them is doing fine but the other had to redo all the work here in the U.S. because of an infection and was put on antibiotics for some time. Seeing that I think it's a bit risky since the Mexican dentists don't have any resposibilty over malpractice. At least if that happened here in the U.S. you could always ask the dentist to redo the work unless they want their insurance fees to go up. So instead of going to Mexico I'd rather go look for a relatively affordable dentist in the U.S
Diane

Cape Coral, FL

#27 Mar 16, 2008
NO ONE HAS TO ANSWER FOR DENTAL CARE IN THE UNITED STATES UNLESS A LAWYER THINKS HE CAN MAKE 50,000 OFF IT. I LIVE IN NAPLES. MY DENTIST PUT ON A SMALL CROWN IT CAUSED A MALOCCLUSION THAT BROKE OFF THE TOPS OF 2 NEIGHBORING TEETH FRACTURED THE ROOTS OF THE MOLAR OVER IT AND LOOSENED UP THE CANINE AND INCISOR NEXT TO THAT. i LOST 4 TEETH FOR NADA AND TO TOP IT OFF WHEN I HAD A TEMPORARY MADE THE WIRE WAS PLACED SO BADLY IT BROKE PARTS OF THE PORCELAIN OFF 2 MOLARS ON THE OTHER SIDE. NOW I NEED 12,000 i VE BEEN TO MEXICO BEFORE AND iM GOING BACK. OH YEAH i M LOSING HAIR OVER THE SIDE WHERE THE ROOTS FRACTURED... A METAL POST WAS DRIVEN UP INTO MY CHEEKBONE 2 YRS LATER 3 PANORMAICS AND 5 FULL SETS AND THE DENTURIST POINTS IT OUT! FEVERS NIGHTSWEATS BLINDING HEADACHES SEE NAPLES AND DIE iTS A LIVING NIGHTMARE i WENT TO ALGODONES MEX JUST TRY TO GET AN ENGLISH SPEAKING DENTIST IT MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE,
fite4sis

Easton, PA

#28 Mar 17, 2008
johnathan wrote:
Oh come on now!! You are lying like a rug regarding American Dentistry and you know it!! If you messed up my mouth, I couldn't do anything about it and you know it! The laws in Mexico are barely there to protect the Dental Consumers. At least in America, they have to answer to someone when they do shoddy work!
<quoted text>
Unfortunately Johnathan, dentists really DON'T have to answer to ANYONE when they do "shoddy" work. There are dentists out there who deliberately inject innocent patients with a toxic substance called Sargenti Paste, comprised of paraformaldehyde and lead. Would YOU agree to having that introduced into your body?
When this substance causes irreparable harm to the patient, destroying their health forever, these dentists are usually slapped on the wrist.
That, to me, is appalling.
Patient Advocate

Saddle Brook, NJ

#29 Mar 17, 2008
nyscof wrote:
Who do dentists have to answer to in America when they do shoddy work?
Unfortunately nobody holds them accountable.
State dental boards are suppose to protect the patient, but their track records show otherwise!
Dentists and doctors know they can get away with almost anything nowdays.
thingsdogowrong

Montgomery, AL

#30 Mar 17, 2008
Confirm that the Mexico dental industry is not using this....

www.sargentipaste.org

It can cause extremely life alternating conditions, include death. You are playing root canal roulette if you let this be used on you. It has been REJECTED by the FDA because the proponents could not demonstrate how putting formaldehyde in a living being was safe. Our accredited endodontic specialty organization is strongly against it. Read this before you decide to take the cheap route for root canals.

http://www.aae.org/NR/rdonlyres/14F3726F-DA2D...
Shawn

Burnaby, Canada

#31 Mar 27, 2008
"You get what you pay for"
If this indeed the case then the United States should have by far the best rated health care system in the world. Unfortunatley this idea is very far from the truth. The American health care system according to W.H.O. ranks behind many countries including Cyprus, Morocco, Chile, Dominica, Costa Rica, and the real kicker Colombia. Americans can pack up their bags and travel to these countries knowing that their getting a higher standard of care at a much lower price.
"You know why that is, because if they mess up there are no laws for you to be taken care of or reimbursed"
Now before I refute this ignorant statement, may I ask where you got your information from?
" I know my dentistry here is guaranteed"
Really! oh please tell give me your dentists contact information as this may make me reconsider traveling abroad for my dental work.
You get what you pay for wrote:
You know why dentistry is so cheap in Mexico is because they don't have to worry about malpractice insurance. You know why that is, because if they mess up there are no laws for you to be taken care of or reimbursed. So have fun on your Mexican vacation risking your health for a cheaper deal, that is typical of America today, always wanting a deal and something free. At least and I will keep my teeth. But I guess if you need cheap dentistry in another country especially Mexico you really don't care about what happens to your teeth! PS to the guy that actually had the nerve to ask his American dentist how the Mexican work was your dentist probably said good job done to get your rude self out of his office. Amazing the complete lack of respect for people these days.
DCSOCAL

San Diego, CA

#32 Mar 30, 2008
Youre presuming that only in the USA are all dentists profesional and "maintain best standards of practice" which is absurd. There are some very professional dentists in Mexico and just as in the USA there are some less than professional dentists.. Unfortuantley it does coast more to go to school and maintain a practce in the litigious USA so therein lies some of the problem. I personally have found good and bad in both usa and Mexico and have done my "homework' to try to be a informed consumer..
dental traveler

Edmonton, Canada

#33 Apr 10, 2008
Google Mexican Dental Vacation. It has been more than a year, and I have had no problems with the dental work they did for me. I saved more than 50%
Artist

Concord, CA

#34 Apr 18, 2008
How and where can I check a Mexcan Dentists credentials?? I speak only English.
Thanks
Artist

Concord, CA

#35 Apr 18, 2008
If a Mexican dentists is found to be guilty of malpractice, there Mexican licence is taken away - forever.
wondering

Racine, WI

#36 Apr 21, 2008
I am having bleeding problems 5 weeks after crown placed on root canal tooth. Now I am having sinus problems as well. I believe dentist used N2 or some form of formaldehyde.
I went back and dentist gave me an antibiotic injected into gumline. Have to return for two more injections- second and then third month.
What do I do now? Go to endodontist? Can this process be reversed to save surrounding tissue if in fact formaldehyde was used? Should I inquire to dentist for material placed in my tooth? Will they be honest?
Will this develop into more serious medical problems? Do I need a lawyer? What would you do? I live in Wisconsin. Thank you.
Dinah

Monkton, MD

#37 Apr 21, 2008
No honor here.

With the government of Mexico actively seeking to take over this country I don't see how anyone with any ounce of personal integrity can go NEAR Mexico with any conscience.

I think the whole thing's pretty selfish.
John Pack

United States

#39 May 11, 2008
Due Diligence. Think, research and ask questions.

I have had several procedure done in Mexico, all with great success, even years later. I can not say the same for a couple of bad experiences I've had with dentists in the states.

And you're wrong, you can sue in Mexico. The difference is when you do, only the bad dentist pays, not everyone that wants to use a dentist.
John Pack

United States

#40 May 11, 2008
Here is a good resource for Mexico related info, on June 1, 2008, they'll have a Mexico Living Health & Wellness Special Edition which will do head to head comparisons of US Vs. Mexican medical and dental care.

http://www.mexicoliving.info/Magazine/Magazin...
m Graham

Lake Geneva, WI

#41 May 11, 2008
Looking for help with dental Spanish? I have free Spanish language links on my website: www.ahorahablo.com
Tijuana Mama

San Diego, CA

#42 May 17, 2008
I have found that Mexican Dr.s and Dentists are up-front with the diagnosis (and/or professional opinion) They genuinely enjoy informing the patient of options, benefits, and consequenses of all treatments. And encourage the patient to stay aware and be responsible for their own heathcare by using education as a tool....I have had much worse luck in the hands of American Dentists-especially as a child in th 1970's... I will probably be losing all my top teeth because of some very sturdy white fillings that I am certain are Sargenti cement,and damage from a long gone childhood root-canal tooth....I remember the procedure and it was very quick. My Maxilary jawbone is losing it's hold on my teeth.
Also American dentists are ridiculous and cruel in their desire to push patients into keeping all their own teeth.(a pulled tooth earns no money!) I actually had a dentist refuse to pull a WISDOM TOOTH-because it was "well-placed"
resulting in an emergency extraction in Mexico on a Sunday evening.
As for shoddy dental work- I am sure that it is a matter of trust anywhere you go. Choose wisely. Ask questions. As for root canals and caps. You may be better off without that putrid tooth. Reaching the age of 90 "with all my own teeth" is not much of a goal if you stink because your dead mummified teeth are rotting away still and you can't feel it.And are immune to the stench of your own fetid breath...

Since: May 08

San Diego, CA

#43 May 17, 2008
You are sadly uninformed when it comes to world politics- Mexico is not actively (or otherwise)seeking to take over America. Have fun sqandering your money to fatten the pockets of rich American Dentists who are laughing all the way to the bank!- Or maybe even for a lovely Mexican vacation themselves!.....This American lady will be enjoying my personal integrity by finding the best Dr.s for ME! Not hiding behind uninformed rhetoric!

..........Why would anyone wit
Dinah wrote:
No honor here.
With the government of Mexico actively seeking to take over this country I don't see how anyone with any ounce of personal integrity can go NEAR Mexico with any conscience.
I think the whole thing's pretty selfish.
Debbie

Fresno, CA

#44 May 23, 2008
Hi, I am living on the limited income. I need the bridge done on my front teeth. i cannot afford the treatment here. i like to know if some can guide me to excellent dentist in mexico. or is some already got treatment from there. i dont speak spanis. so i have hard time. plz help with your knowlesge about dental treatment.
Debbie

Fresno, CA

#45 May 23, 2008
Hi, I am living on the limited income. I need the bridge done on my front teeth. i cannot afford the treatment here. i like to know if some can guide me to excellent dentist in mexico. or is some already got treatment from there. i dont speak spanis. so i have hard time. plz help with your knowlesge about dental treatment.plz email me at sweetie559@yahoo.com
NE Red

United States

#46 May 23, 2008
Debbie wrote:
Hi, I am living on the limited income. I need the bridge done on my front teeth. i cannot afford the treatment here. i like to know if some can guide me to excellent dentist in mexico. or is some already got treatment from there. i dont speak spanis. so i have hard time. plz help with your knowlesge about dental treatment.plz email me at sweetie559@yahoo.com
I'm not certain if you're for real or not, but I'll assume you're making an honest request. Do not go to Mexico for any reason! Isn't there a Dental College/University in CA? If it's like it is here in NE, you can go at a much discounted rate. Everything done is supervised by the instructor and I've found the work performed equal to or above that I've paid a dentist to do in his practice. It's not based on your income. They need patients for their schooling! Look on the internet. I'm sure you have a med center, etc. you can get the work done at. Good luck!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Phoenix Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Deep Within Recovery Inc (May '10) 1 hr larry jim 24
William Wayne Macumber (Jun '10) 2 hr harley 21
Shooting at busy Peoria shopping center injures 1 4 hr yup 2
Internet and TV Provider in Scottsdale 9 hr dorktones 1
Former Fugitive Sentenced to Prison for Health ... (Feb '09) 13 hr tammy 123
pictures Sat jeremy rand 2
91-year-old snakebite victim recovering in Phoe... Sep 12 JSanchez 1
•••

Flash Flood Watch for Maricopa County was issued at September 15 at 2:47PM MST

•••
•••
•••

Phoenix Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••
•••

Phoenix People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Phoenix News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Phoenix
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••