Faith and Religion - Student Wants to Know Why 'God' Was Edited...

Full story: First Coast News Jacksonville

By Doug Carroll The Arizona Republic PHOENIX, AZ -- A Higley High School senior claims that God was edited out of his biography in the school's yearbook, prompting him to seek an explanation from the school on ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Doug

Raritan, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

So much for freedom of speech. this was his words not the school's and by changing even one word they have misquoted him.
RH in MN

Mabel, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

This sounds more like something you would read in a communist country, not in America, the land of freedom! It's only going to get worse until people get some backbone and stand up to such control over our freedom!
SJC

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Hats off to the editor of the newspaper that ran this. Because, now more people know who this young man gives credit to rather than a few that would have gotten the year book.
Michelle S

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

This is ridiculous.

I'm sure had this boy been a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Shintoist--whatever minority religion you can think of--they would have printed his thanks to his higher authority. Because he's a Christian, though, he's not allowed to thank God.

Why is this country becoming so anti-Christian? Why, as mentioned by the boy himself in this story, do Christian children have to feel like they can't discuss their faith anymore? Are we regressing to pre-Christian Rome here? Why can't we be tolerant of ALL religion? More importantly, why can't we have free speech, especially of something so harmless as thanking God?
JOESPH STALIN

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

YES WE ARE WINNING YOU OVER WITH THE HELP OF OUR WONDERFUL LIBERAL FRIENDS AND YOUR LIBERS SCHOOLS IT WILL ONLY BE A FEW MORE YEARS AN YOU COUNTRY WILL BE A SHELL OF WHAT IT WAS. WITH THE HELP OF THE ARAB'S
Barbara

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

I wish the people of this country would read their laws. By seperation of church and state it doesn't mean that we can not be christians and mention God or Jesus. It means that christians get just as much clout as a muslim or budhist. Christians need to stand up and be heard. God isn't the problem. Most Americans beleive in God they just don't want to have any back bone. I dare anybody to tell me that I can't mention my God or my Jesus as my savior. If they do they will get slapped with a law suit. Seperation of Church and State or not....
Donna

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2007

Separation of Church and State has been used erroneously for all the athiests you can imagine. This was not originated to keep church out of schools, politics, etc., but rather to keep the government out of the people's business. People need to go back and read where this originated and use it accordingly rather than stupidly.
Barbara

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2007

Donna wrote:
Separation of Church and State has been used erroneously for all the athiests you can imagine. This was not originated to keep church out of schools, politics, etc., but rather to keep the government out of the people's business. People need to go back and read where this originated and use it accordingly rather than stupidly.
I could not agree ever more.
navychief

Jacksonville, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

If I may be so bold as to give a little bit of a lesson here.

The doctrine of "separation of church and state" is not law. It is not written into anything including the constitution. It was and is a political doctrine that Thomas Jefferson wrote in a letter to a Baptist group in his day. If referred to the 1st amendment and freedom of speech. the point is that government and the church must remain separate entities, so that other religions including Christianity would be respected and no one religion could influence or write into COMMON low(law of the people that which is also "Religious Law". that is obviously a fine line, such as states having laws against adultery (one of the ten commandments). The doctrine is never more clear than in the first amendment which prohibits the federal government from creating ANY law that prohibits, free speech, freedom exercise of religion and freedom to assemble. To me, it is totally believable that a TEACHER does not enough know the law enough to interpret that someoneís WRITINGS fall under the first amendment. If the boy wanted to say god 800 times it should be allowed. He was told the document (the yearbook) while "produced" by the school (and subject to editing) would allow him a page to EXPRESS himself. There is no rule of law that applies except the schools assumption that being Public they have a duty to edit and use the separation doctrine as Law. It isnít. Itís sad that this teacher doesnít even know our own basic fundamental laws. Itís not like they havenít been around for 200 years. So whatís next? Will NBC edit the next athlete who quotes "god" as his source of success?
Michelle S

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2007

navychief wrote:
So whatís next? Will NBC edit the next athlete who quotes "god" as his source of success?
Actually, that's been done. Someone censored the word "God" in that movie recently made about Queen Elizabeth II. Every time someone used the word "God" (as in, "God save the Queen," for example) it was bleeped out. How's that for Christian suppression for you? Hindis can say "Krishna" or "Lakshimi," Buddhists can say "Buddha," Muslims can say "Allah," but Christians cannot say "God."

Its very troubling, and very sad.
Sammy

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2011

Perhaps god needed to be blotted out!, god if he does exist is not worth
Mentioning,he will answer people that's never missed a meal in their life, god will literally perform oral sex on them!!! Yet god will not answer those poor Africans who are starving to death, god just spits in their face! God is an unfair monster! He needs to go burn forever that big bright sadist!!! Satan is a lot more kind then that stupid,rotter and low life god ever thought about being.

Since: Sep 09

Orange Park, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 8, 2011

Michelle S wrote:
This is ridiculous.
I'm sure had this boy been a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Shintoist--whatever minority religion you can think of--they would have printed his thanks to his higher authority. Because he's a Christian, though, he's not allowed to thank God.
Why is this country becoming so anti-Christian? Why, as mentioned by the boy himself in this story, do Christian children have to feel like they can't discuss their faith anymore? Are we regressing to pre-Christian Rome here? Why can't we be tolerant of ALL religion? More importantly, why can't we have free speech, especially of something so harmless as thanking God?
The only reason this country is great is because of the Christians that settled the land and made it the greatest country in the world. If Islam or any other religion is so great why are they polluting our country by moving here, not many Christians are leaving the US and moving to countries controlled by rag heads or Jews.Muslims hate westerners and they're building terrorist cells
here in this country, and we're allowing it to happen. We're our own worst enemy.
robert downey jewr

Phoenix, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2012

Michelle S wrote:
This is ridiculous.
Thats because jews hate christians and jews run this country. destroy the jew = a better america

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 13 of13
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Phoenix Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Phoenix Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Phoenix People Search