Save Onion the Dog From Euthanasia?

May 10, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Suburban Journals

Oak Parker Les Golden at Center of Nationwide Effort of Dog Lovers Onion the dog of Henderson, Nevada, became an international focal point for animal welfare advocates in their struggle against municipalities and their animal control departments after the death of the family child who was injured by the dog.

Comments
21 - 40 of 55 Comments Last updated Thursday Aug 7
royal bitch

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2012

Judged:

you suck wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU disgust me..the dog "lunged" at her?? did he bite her? you couldnt surrender the dog to a shelter? do everyone a favor and dont ever own a dog again, you suck! that poor rot, had to be stuck with you
YOU are ignorant if ANY dog shows the slightest aggression towards a child then they deserve to be euthanised. I would take that dog in my back yard and personally beat the living pulp out the useless creature. I am a mother if a two year old,that dog would be DEAD!
dean

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

Judged:

I understand your feelings but we all have our own opinions and I DISAGREE with you....nothing will be gained by another death.Who knows what happened..even the family doesn,t know....PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE ALL THE TIME...GET 20 YRS AND ARE OUT IN 5 AND ' THEY KNOW BETTER'they,ve been seen by Drs. and are supposidly changed their ways..well an animal is just that...get mad all u want but when the owners and parents want the dog spared then theirs more to it and I would do the same.
Glad I,m not your pet and hope you never get one...but i do respect your thoughts..so respect ours...you may be Happy and Onion will lose his life..., but I hope not...I believe that animals and peoples lives aren,t ours to take anyways...thats left to God....he,ll do what he deems right antways...it,s not our choice.....
Raydot

California City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 18, 2012

Judged:

It's the fricking parents fault, not the dog. Put the parents to sleep. Oh and the damn police dog that attacked the cop, that dog seen to much action. Retire it please. It will never be right again. And for the cop that shot and tayzered the poor animal and his partner, I would lay them both off without pay for being two of the dumbest nut heads idiots ever. Have them evaluated and sent to have their brains checked for stupidity. They are both a DANGER to the public. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid! Drug test both of them. Please Las Vegas Review Journal, run that story again. Halarious for sure, can it get any better. Yeah, shoot the ice cream mans wife and kill her. Don't shoot her in the leg. Henderson PIGS are a threat to the public.
Julie

Scottsdale, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 21, 2012

Anyone know if Onion was rescued or put down :(
Rita

Port Jefferson, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 23, 2012

Judged:

A lot of people blame the parents. They say that the parents left the child alone with the dog and that's when he was attacked and killed. Not in this case.

See this article and video: http://www.lvrj.com/news/henderson-boy-killed...

It seems that the grandmother was right there in the act of bending over to pick up the child and that is when the dog attacked. The dog may have been startled by being awakened, but startled, normal dogs, in my experience, may snap and retreat, rather than crush the victim's head and kill him.

It could also be said that the sheer size of the dog vs the size of the victim was the reason for the extensive damage, but, look at the size of an adult wolf vs the size of wolf pups in a pack. The huge adult wolves manage to reprimand the pups without killing or maiming them. Same with a 500 pound lion and a rambunctious cub. Normal, balanced animals can, and do inhibit their "strike force" when they want to in order not to damage their social partners and family members.
selwyn marock

South Africa

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 24, 2012

Judged:

Duh wrote:
Fk this dog, if it bit my kid I'd kill the bastard on the spot and there would be NO debate.
Of course you would Kill it on the spot,"Cos you can" what a brave man you are.Normally a Coward.

“I miss you lil bro”

Since: Apr 09

Vegas baby

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 28, 2012

Judged:

Where are all of these people when they are putting NON-VIOLENT dogs to sleep just because there is no more room for them. They want to save a baby killer instead,Instead of finding homes for the hundreds of dogs in our shelters.
SMRT

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 29, 2012

Judged:

Laury wrote:
I agree with CECE. Onion's owners should be prevented from owning pet animals. They simply aren't responsible enough.
Don't talk if you don't know the details. Ignorant cece.
dean

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 7, 2012

Judged:

Sorry Rita...but just saw video of babes dad and he said they left baby alone with dog for what he said was just a moment...child was learning to walk and dad thinks baby must have pulled on dog to pull himself up..dad heard commotion and ran in to find dog and child....Horrific but WATCH VIDEO of the Dads explanation...his last words were he lost his child and his dog same day and by the way was at the grams home and dogs home...brought child there for his party...horrible,,this is all such a mess....I want Onion to go to a place to live his life out like people go to jail for murder for the rest of there life and they know better....people better then animals ..all happened because of people again..sorry but on Onion,s side..not sorry...
Rita

Port Jefferson, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 10, 2012

dean wrote:
Sorry Rita...but just saw video of babes dad and he said they left baby alone with dog for what he said was just a moment...child was learning to walk and dad thinks baby must have pulled on dog to pull himself up..dad heard commotion and ran in to find dog and child....Horrific but WATCH VIDEO of the Dads explanation...his last words were he lost his child and his dog same day and by the way was at the grams home and dogs home...brought child there for his party...horrible,,this is all such a mess....I want Onion to go to a place to live his life out like people go to jail for murder for the rest of there life and they know better....people better then animals ..all happened because of people again..sorry but on Onion,s side..not sorry...
Dean, did you read the story too? Here is a direct quote from the story, "Jeremiah's grandmother gave him a bottle and laid him down in the living room. The baby crawled over to Onion and - as he had done many times before - grabbed onto the 120-pound dog to help himself stand up."

"Just then, Jeremiah's grandmother leaned over to pick him up. Onion suddenly attacked."

It clearly states that the "grandmother leaned over to pick him up" and that's when Onion "suddenly attacked."

Obviously, there is a discrepancy between the video and the story, or maybe the father meant that HE left the child alone, but the grandmother was there.

In any event, I still cannot understand the ferocity of the attack. If the dog was trying to reprimand the baby for pulling his hair or startling him, I don't think the punishment fit the crime. Animals can, and do, inhibit the force of their jaws when they want to. I've seen it with dogs and I've seen it with wild animals, much larger and more powerful than dogs.

I'm not going to judge what Onion's fate should be, but I will say that I wouldn't trust any dog that would put that much ferocity into a reprimand. He also had the option of getting up and scrambling away from the situation. Fight or Flight.

Since: Jun 12

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 12, 2012

Judged:

I saw this story on the news and it broke my heart. I don't want to be mean and bash the parents after their terrible loss. But all could have been prevented by not having the dog so close to the baby. Baby's latch on to things while they are learning to walk and a dog has bad days too and can't talk like us so it lashes out the only way it can. Point again never trust your baby with your dog.
Raydot

California City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2012

Alot of parents leave their babies in the car with the windows rolled up and end up cooking the baby at 200 degrees or more. Anyways baby is well done in about 15 minutes. Please people do not leave your dog in the car while shopping at Walmart this summer, or your baby. Walmart has baskets and carts to push baby and doggy around. Remember if baby gets out of hand while shopping, shake! do not spank. Spanking only grooms tomorrows serial killers. So remember shake vigorously. If you leave baby with a baby sitter, it's the same as leaving baby with a serial killer. I'm glad I could help. Have a wonderful hot afternoon shopping at Walmart. Oh and if shopping at the super Walmart by Sams Town, always remember, your car may not be in the parking lot when your done shopping. The mexicans and blacks will try and key or jack it. The gaurd that rides around on the motor scooter and blue vest is 95 years old. Be smart, Shop wise.
dean

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

I,m done with this..it,s in God,s hands...I trust him...
People lets killers go back on street and into society...and they knew better..thinking then there should be no 2nd chance for them either....
Dog will never go back to whom he loves and will never understand why abandoned .....nor will he be sent back with another family..let him live out his life amongst other animals ....nothing will be mended by another killing...will just be ANOTHER HUMANS MISTAKE....AGAIN......we just keep making bad choices......
Rita

Port Jefferson, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2012

Judged:

dean wrote:
I,m done with this..it,s in God,s hands...I trust him...
People lets killers go back on street and into society...and they knew better..thinking then there should be no 2nd chance for them either....
Dog will never go back to whom he loves and will never understand why abandoned .....nor will he be sent back with another family..let him live out his life amongst other animals ....nothing will be mended by another killing...will just be ANOTHER HUMANS MISTAKE....AGAIN......we just keep making bad choices......
I understand where you are coming from. You are obviously a very kind hearted, good person.
Abby

Colorado Springs, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2012

Judged:

you suck wrote:
<quoted text>
YOU disgust me..the dog "lunged" at her?? did he bite her? you couldnt surrender the dog to a shelter? do everyone a favor and dont ever own a dog again, you suck! that poor rot, had to be stuck with you
As for having to put down the dog people of VEGAS DO NOT VOTE for that JUDGE again..... Hell she'd let O.J. go, scarey.... If you are so dumb as to NOT WATCH your CHILD GRANDCHILD whatever put the animal in another room or hold the party some other place
dean

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2012

Judged:

Feel bad for all involved...Parents and grandmother, deceaced child and Onion.
They need too make a decision and NOW...enough is enough.
Parents know they made a mistake ...Gramma lost her grandson because of whatever..we,ll never know the truth.....everyone is brokenhearted...including Onion..can,t say for sure but don,t think he,s being well taken care of....just a horrid situation...
Everyones sad and even though I believe that nothing will come of Onion,s death...just let a decision be made so no one suffers anymore waiting for Onion,s fate.
I still believe that the family is in the public eye and if they show any kinda remorse towards Onion then they,ll be in the center of attention and a bunch of people criticizing them... a mistake was made and I hope another won,t follow...God Bless family, Child and Onion...what a MESS
dean

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 3, 2012

No news on Onion......whats going on.....
Just decide already...feel really sorry for this pup.......
People again...always screwup.....blah, blah.....
Just let him go and start fresh....
ziggs

Redondo Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 27, 2012

Judged:

first of all you can never compare a human life to a animal's I do believe it is the parents fault the dog's instinct is very unpredictable I have a large german shepherd that has always obey me one day he saw another dog on the other side of the road me thinking im the master trusted him guess what yelling his name and running after him he got to the dog almost killin him.The lesson I learned and that everyone should know is that you cant trust a dog and that we are not masters
Noel Anschutz

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2012

Judged:

Unfortunately you assume certain amount of risk when you own an animal. I'm surprised Siegfried and Roy have not Weighed in on this issue
dean

Henderson, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2012

still no news on Onion...hes been stuck in that crate now for almost half a yr..let him go for crying out loud to Co.just decide already.......Again stupid humans,,,what a sad mess we are

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••