The Softs Review
For the week of December 5, 2011

By Jurgens H. Bauer

While outside markets had a big up week last week, the soft complex continues to experience price declines. The prospect of any sustained rally among members of the soft markets looks to be short lived and likely a selling opportunity. Open interest levels for the most part indicate long liquidation in the group. Technical bias is for lower prices. Fundamentally, I can see no solid reason to approach any of these markets from the buy side with any conviction. I lean bearish towards the entire complex.

Already hearing rumors of Fed today cutting by 0.25 additionally interest on swaplines. This will certainly chase nervous shorts, but will it be sufficient to attract meaningful buyers? I remain a skeptic and as such will look for opportunities on the short side.

Disclaimer: Past performance is not indicative of future results. Trading futures and options involves substantial risk of loss and is not suitable for all investors. Fundamental factors, seasonal and weather trends, daily news, and other current events may have already been factored into the markets. The use of stop loss or contingent orders may not protect profits and may not limit losses to the amount intended. Certain market conditions make it difficult or impossible to execute such orders.