Nicaragua: New "Friends" Lure Victims into Taxi Kidnappings

Jul 28, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: WorldTravelWatch.com

The U.S. Embassy in Managua reported that nearly a dozen taxi kidnappings occurred in the past month in several areas, including around the international airport, along bus routes to and from San Juan del Sur, San Jorge, Granada, Managua, Esteli and Masaya, and in the city of Managua.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of44
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Robin

Chandler, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 4, 2010

Judged:

I was looking to buy property in Nicaragua. I had hear it is trying to change it's image. It's a poor country and needs the tours income. But reading the new report shows me that I need to take my dollars else where!! Nicaragua is not safe!!
Dear Robin

Managua, Nicaragua

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2010

Judged:

I was looking to buy property in Chandler, AZ but then I heard about all the gangs...http://www.topix.com/f orum/mesa/TSGMBI7ADIFJJAKAG

Chandler is not safe!!

Nicaragua is so much safer than many countries, most crimes in your city probably just dont get reported because there are so many...
Pedro Garcia

Managua, Nicaragua

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2010

Atravez del voto secreto, debemos elegir al candidato de la oposicion en Nicaragua, y que quede quien goza del respaldo del votante.

Los ungidos vengan de donde vengan deben ser historia en nuestra Nacion.
green

San Francisco, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2011

Judged:

i heard about this crimes happening where taxi drivers are the bad people, what a shame that so many useless, excuse of a human beings are taking over entire countries.
this is the side effect of overpopulating the world without accountability for self responsibility and proper education.
poverty will never end since people don;t care about improving their lives as much as they care to having unprotected sex, unwanted and unplanned pregnancies and blaming others for their failures and inability to create a wonderful life.
Tonto

Managua, Nicaragua

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2011

Judged:

Put Nicaragua on the back burner for now. DO NOT invest anything you are not willing to lose. DO NOT bring anything you are not willing to have stolen. Do NOT under any circumstances believe a single word from anyone there. Apart from that have a good time!
True Story

Homer, AK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

Thank you for sidelining someone who just wouldn't get the poetry of Nicaragua and her beautiful people!! There is danger around every corner and if you obeyed the "travel warnings" from any government, you would never leave your house!!! I love Nicaragua and it's sense of freedom, beautiful people... always remember, you are only a guest in another country and can not change it around to your values and ways of living :) Tranquilo !! Travel smart and be aware of your surroundings !!!! D'oh!

Since: Jun 08

Tulsa OK. & Lugano Switzerland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 2, 2011

Judged:

Robin wrote:
I was looking to buy property in Nicaragua. I had hear it is trying to change it's image. It's a poor country and needs the tours income. But reading the new report shows me that I need to take my dollars else where!! Nicaragua is not safe!!
Been watch House Hunters International?
David

Ireland

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2011

Judged:

Nicaragua is one of the safest places I have ever been to. I have no spanish at all and found the local people great. Just avoid Managua and you'l be fine. If you read news reports on any country they would put ye off.
Nicaragua Fan

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2011

Judged:

We just got back from 4 weeks in Nicaragua and we traveled to Managua, Leon, Las Penitas, Poneloya, Granada, Rivas, San Juan del Sur and the beaches close to Managua. Then we went for a 2nd time to Managua. Last year we also traveled to Nicaragua. We are aware of what the government travel warning sites say about Nicaragua and a lot of other countries. We had absolutely NO problems. People were nice & friendly. No tourist ripoffs. We even shared taxis because that's the way it's done in Managua. It's also the safest country in Central America. Mexico, for example, is as dangerous or more so than Iraq (tons of killing going on there), but tourists are still going there. The golden rule when traveling anywhere, say Europe, America, Canada, the Caribbean or anywhere else: be prudent and don't be stupid.
LMM1968

Louisville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2011

Judged:

My aunt and uncle are working in Managua for the time being. The first month they got there,they took a shuttle cab to see some of the country. While taking pictures of a volcano,they were robbed and roughed up. As far as their life in Managua, they are living with bars and wire surrounding their house for protection and if they are lucky, they may even receive the mail that was sent to them. Which that as well has been stolen from them at times along with the mailbox. This may be a beautiful country, but as far as safety, I'm not so sure I will ever visit myself.
Tonto

Silverthorne, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 20, 2011

Judged:

ok then...
If you decide to move there and build your life down there,and WHEN they enter your home and assault you violently for having something to take- maybe your wife!- and WHEN the Nicaraguan reality comes crashing down on you... remember all of these people with their utopian Nica- dream drivel. Really, the only way to find out if it's dangerous or not, is, well... to go give it a try.
Good luck sucka!!!
redhammy

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 24, 2011

Judged:

True Story wrote:
Thank you for sidelining someone who just wouldn't get the poetry of Nicaragua and her beautiful people!! There is danger around every corner and if you obeyed the "travel warnings" from any government, you would never leave your house!!! I love Nicaragua and it's sense of freedom, beautiful people... always remember, you are only a guest in another country and can not change it around to your values and ways of living :) Tranquilo !! Travel smart and be aware of your surroundings !!!! D'oh!
Totally agree - Have visited over 60 countries across the world and this is the safest and most lovely country I have encountered. I was so impressed I bought a house there and spend part of my year there. Most people who have not visited think there are still sandinistas with AK47s running around in the hills. The crime rates in other central american countries are much higher, but they do not get this bad publicity - the negative propaganda around Nicaragua is misleading and very disappointing.
For the last 7 years, I have only had fabulous experiences - I urge people to try it out before jumping to conclusions.
rich

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2011

Judged:

green wrote:
i heard about this crimes happening where taxi drivers are the bad people, what a shame that so many useless, excuse of a human beings are taking over entire countries.
this is the side effect of overpopulating the world without accountability for self responsibility and proper education.
poverty will never end since people don;t care about improving their lives as much as they care to having unprotected sex, unwanted and unplanned pregnancies and blaming others for their failures and inability to create a wonderful life.
The taxi drivers I hired were quite nice, although I did not ride around at night, only during the day. I was charged $15 US for the ride from the airport to the Hilton, and only $7.50 from metrocenter for the ride back to the airport, and a couple of dollars around town while I was there, but I am sure there are some bad taxis, but if you get into the licensed red taxis, and note the license numbers on the taxi license, you should be fine, and Nicaragua is certainly safe compared to most US cities, just dont flaunt cash or wealth.
ex-nica

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 26, 2011

Judged:

Visiting a country and living in a country are two entirely different worlds. when the romance wears off and reality comes crashing down.. everything changes.This holds true in every country in the world.. including the U.S.
Would I travel in Nicaragua again? Maybe. Would I live there again? would i raise children there? Would i feel comfortable leaving my wife alone at home Never.
Barbara

San Clemente, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2011

redhammy wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally agree - Have visited over 60 countries across the world and this is the safest and most lovely country I have encountered. I was so impressed I bought a house there and spend part of my year there. Most people who have not visited think there are still sandinistas with AK47s running around in the hills. The crime rates in other central american countries are much higher, but they do not get this bad publicity - the negative propaganda around Nicaragua is misleading and very disappointing.
For the last 7 years, I have only had fabulous experiences - I urge people to try it out before jumping to conclusions.
redhammy, you are a kindred spirit to my brother and I. Both of us have also visited over 60 countries and chose to purchase a home in San Juan del Sur after putting our California home on the market for sale. The people, we've had contact with in Nica have been friendly, helpful, and especially the younger ones like talking to us in order to practice their English. Never have we felt threatened. We do however, as in any place we visit or live for that matter, let our guard down. Trust your gut feelings about situations.

Go and enjoy a new country. The more one travels, the more one realizes not everyone is out to kill, rob, or kidnap you.
Joannes

Managua, Nicaragua

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 26, 2011

Judged:

Robin wrote:
Your are not good informed. I am from Europe and live 2 years in Nicaragua now. I feel here more save as in New-York. Also international statistics say the same, Nicaragua is after Canada the safest place to be.

"With 450 miles of coastline, charming Spanish colonial towns, a cost of living up to 60% less than in the U.S. and a good reputation for safety; it's an exotic Florida on the cheap." FORBES
anon

West Roxbury, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2011

Judged:

green wrote:
Just wanted to say not everyone needs to live in the first world to lead a wonderful and happy life.
Nica Friend

Parksville, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2011

Judged:

Robin wrote:
Well I guess you should keep your money and not invest anywhere for that matter......Nicaragua is safe matter of fact its the safest country in Central America so don't be so quick to judge!
Lorine

Managua, Nicaragua

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2011

Judged:

Robin wrote:
Robin: Nicaragua is one of the safest countries in Central and South America and safer than many parts of the US. We have lived here for over 3 years. Our experience is that violent crime is less than the yuppy neighborhood we lived in the US. The news only reports "unusual" things or else it would not be news. We have been assisted by many caring people.
Lorine

Managua, Nicaragua

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2011

Judged:

Reality is that is the same as anywhere. Good neighbors and good security are your best defense. Get involved with your neighborhood and get to know your neighbors. Don't buy until you know what really works for you. We found touristy places were more "dangerous" from the stand point that people would watch to see when to "share" your possessions... like leaving Christmas presents in plain sight in your car at a mall in the US. We have found that we like the quiet rural life with vry few extranjeros... learn the language and have good friends that are Nica and life will be more fun and less foreign!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of44
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Managua, Nicaragua Discussions

Search the Managua, Nicaragua Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Today is Saturday, July 19, the 200th day of 2014 Jul 20 Carl Hardy 1
Los ninos la cucaracha tueres loco Jul 10 Michelle Obama 1
Los ninos adoptcion africano americanos Jul 10 Michelle Obama 1
Suspect in NY slayings arrested in Nicaragua Mar '14 Faith 2
What would it cost YOU to live in Nicaragua? (Dec '13) Feb '14 hi there 2
Nicaraguan lawmakers reform constitution, allow... Jan '14 Danny Bones 6
Inside the Ring: Russia boosts Cuba ties (Aug '13) Oct '13 Hot Rod 1,289
•••
•••