'The War Is Not Over'

'The War Is Not Over'

There are 276683 comments on the Los Angeles Times story from Sep 12, 2006, titled 'The War Is Not Over'. In it, Los Angeles Times reports that:

WASHINGTON - President Bush led the nation on Monday in marking the fifth anniversary of the Sept.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Los Angeles Times.

“One For the Money”

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#282546 Aug 19, 2012
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
You think talking stupid is why 'Monday Night Football' fired the dumbass?
ESPN suspended Hank Jr for one week,so Hank made the decision ESPN could no longer use his song.

Hanks Statement.
“After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment
Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run.”— Hank Williams Jr.
John_Schuylkill County_Pa

Ashland, PA

#282547 Aug 20, 2012
-Web wrote:
Hank Williams Jr.:‘We’ve Got a Muslim President Who Hates Farming, Hates the Military, Hates the U.S. and We Hate Him!’
Posted August 19,2012
Nearly a year after country music singer Hank Williams Jr. courted controversy by comparing President Barack Obama to Hitler, he’s unleashed more fiery criticism, this time calling the president an anti-American Muslim.
The comments reportedly went over well with the crowd, which responded with “loud and enthusiastic” cheers.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/hank-williams...
We all know there are "57 states"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_of_...

“French Cocoa Party”

Since: Jan 08

Keynesian Fields

#282548 Aug 20, 2012
Ramafuchs wrote:
nothing to do with the intellectual exchange of views about the main subject..
In this forum i had never used my main language
TAMIL
Here is a tongue twister to twist your brain.
"Pachai Kulanthai Vazhai pazhathirkaga vizhundhu vivizhundhu azhuthathu.
=Small Baby Cried asking for Banana
Very deep, Rama.

“French Cocoa Party”

Keynesian Fields

#282549 Aug 20, 2012
John_Schuylkill County_Pa wrote:
<quoted text>We all know there are "57 states"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_of_...
From the Bidenisms archive:

"If we do everything right, if we do it with absolute certainty, there's still a 30% chance we're going to get it wrong." --Joe Biden, speaking to members of the House Democratic caucus who were gathered in Williamsburg, Va., for their annual retreat, Feb. 6, 2009

http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/joebiden/a...

“French Cocoa Party”

Keynesian Fields

#282550 Aug 20, 2012
"Look, John's last-minute economic plan does nothing to tackle the number-one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S, jobs." --Joe Biden, Athens, Ohio, Oct. 15, 2008
Paul Ryan Hates Medicare

Islip, NY

#282551 Aug 20, 2012
arbitrageur wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't agree with Romney on immigration. Obviously Romneycare is a concern.
Why would you vote for him?
As you well know, I will never ever vote for a corporate hack Republican or Democrat.

That includes Obama, Biden, Clinton, Pelosi, Reid, Romney, Ryan, Bush, Cheney, Reagan, John Boehner, Senator McConnell and Eric Cantor.

THEY ALL WORK FOR WALL STREET AND NOT MAIN STREET!
Paul Ryan Hates Medicare

Islip, NY

#282552 Aug 20, 2012
frank wrote:
<quoted text>
And you know that because ....?
Everything that was prophesied hundreds and hundreds of years before JESUS all came TRUE with the Virgin Birth, Life, Death and Resurrection of JESUS The Messiah!

Frank, why don't you pray and ask JESUS if He is real?

=======

John 10

14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father —and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life —only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282553 Aug 20, 2012
arbitrageur wrote:
<quoted text>
Very deep, Rama.
PricewaterhouseCoopers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The firm was created by the merger of two large firms, Price Waterhouse and
Coopers ... By the late nineteenth century, Price Waterhouse had gained
significant ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PricewaterhouseC... - 145k -
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282554 Aug 20, 2012
arbitrageur wrote:
"Look, John's last-minute economic plan does nothing to tackle the number-one job facing the middle class, and it happens to be, as Barack says, a three-letter word: jobs. J-O-B-S, jobs." --Joe Biden, Athens, Ohio, Oct. 15, 2008
Ryan Rages Against the Machine - CNN.com
2 days ago ... Although Rage thinks Paul Ryan is just another cog in the "Machine," that doesn't
stop the Paul Ryan from rocking out to their ...

http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/16/politics/ryan-m... -
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282555 Aug 20, 2012
Republican todd atkin says “Legitimate rape victims don't need ...
16 hours ago ... Todd Akin On Abortion:'Legitimate Rape' Victims Have 'Ways To Try To Shut
That Whole Thing Down' Reposted from The Huffington Post | By ...

http://disabledaccessdenied.wordpress.com/201... -
30 Republicans Vote Against Rape Bill!(John McCain, Tom Coburn ...
6 days ago ... 30 Republican Senators Voted Against the Anti-Rape Amendment. When a
young women was raped in Iraq Senator Al Franken created this ...

- 144k -
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282556 Aug 20, 2012
Nothing wrong with a little fun, except if it is hypocritical. Kevin Yoder, House Republicans Reprimanded For Drinking, Nudity ...
10 hours ago ... Eric Cantor, House Republicans, GOP, Israel, Republicans, Video, Michael ...
eventually ran for the House of Representatives and won in 1937.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/19/kevi... -
Washington Times on Franklin Case
Washington Times article on the Franklin Affair, 6/29/1989 (full text below).
Scanned image of full front page Washington Times article available here ...

http://www.wanttoknow.info/890629washingtonti... - 76k - Cached - Similar Pages
Call Boys Take Midnight Tour of Reagan/Bush White House- NBC ...
May 6, 2008 ... NBC's Tom Brokaw in a 1989 TV news report on the infamous Washington Times
Story; June 29, 1989 'HOMOSEXUAL PROSTITUTION ...

- 161k - Cached - Similar Pages
The Washington Times, June 29, 1989 (Front page story ...
Jun 29, 1989 ... The June 29, 1989 issue of The Washington Times newspaper seen below was
gathered up and collected from news stands and newspaper ...

http://educate-yourself.org/tg/franklincoveru... - 44k -
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282557 Aug 20, 2012
Paul Ryan Hates Medicare wrote:
<quoted text>
Everything that was prophesied hundreds and hundreds of years before JESUS all came TRUE with the Virgin Birth, Life, Death and Resurrection of JESUS The Messiah!
=======
John 10
14 “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father —and I lay down my life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. 17 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life —only to take it up again. 18 No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”
Mary became pregnant without having sex after Jesus was born, The proof is her words to Jesus after sitting on the out-house seat, "Jesus Christ if Joesph would have wiped off the toilet seat I wouldn't be pregnant again".-------- Only debate left is, Did Mary get pregnant the same way when Jesus was concieved or did Joesph f--k her brains out?
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282558 Aug 20, 2012
Paul Ryan Hates Medicare wrote:
<quoted text>
=======
John 10
Sounds like Mary was listening to Fathers commands, only thing is she should have kept an asprin between her knees everytime she heard the words "lay down for me".
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282559 Aug 20, 2012
Libertarian jargon----- AVAL AVILANDHAL IVAL AVILALAPPAL
IVAL AVILANDHAL AVAL AVILALAPPAL
AVALUM IVULUM AVIL ALAKKAVITTAL
EVAL AVILALPPAL
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282560 Aug 20, 2012
Sanskrit is a member of the Indo-Iranian sub-family of the Indo-European family of languages. Its closest ancient relatives are the Iranian languages Old Persian and Avestan.

In order to explain the common features shared by Sanskrit and other Indo-European languages, many scholars have proposed migration hypotheses asserting that the original speakers of what became Sanskrit arrived in what is now India and Pakistan from the north-west some time during the early second millennium BCE.[9] Evidence for such a theory includes the close relationship of the Indo-Iranian tongues with the Baltic and Slavic languages, vocabulary exchange with the non-Indo-European Uralic languages, and the nature of the attested Indo-European words for flora and fauna.[10]

The earliest attested Sanskrit texts are Brahmanical texts of the Rigveda, which date to the mid-to-late second millennium BCE. No written records from such an early period survive. However, scholars are confident that the oral transmission of the texts is reliable: they were ceremonial literature whose correct pronunciation was considered crucial to its religious efficacy.[11]

From the Rigveda until the time of P&#257;&#7751;ini (fl. 4th century BCE) the development of the early Vedic language may be observed in other Vedic texts: the Samaveda, Yajurveda, Atharvaveda, Brahmanas, and Upanishads. During this time, the prestige of the language, its use for sacred purposes, and the importance attached to its correct enunciation all served as powerful conservative forces resisting the normal processes of linguistic change.[12] However, there is a clear, five-level linguistic development of Vedic from the Rigveda to the language of the Upanishads and the earliest Sutras (such as Baudhayana).[13]

The oldest surviving Sanskrit grammar is P&#257;&#7751;ini's A&#7779;&#7789;&#2 57;dhy&#257;y&#299; ("Eight-Chapter Grammar"). It is essentially a prescriptive grammar, i.e., an authority that defines correct Sanskrit, although it contains descriptive parts, mostly to account for some Vedic forms that had become rare in P&#257;&#7751;ini's time.

The term "Sanskrit" was not thought of as a specific language set apart from other languages, but rather as a particularly refined or perfected manner of speaking. Knowledge of Sanskrit was a marker of social class and educational attainment in ancient India and the language was taught mainly to members of the higher castes, through close analysis of Sanskrit grammarians such as P&#257;&#7751;ini. Sanskrit, as the learned language of Ancient India, thus existed alongside the Prakrits (vernaculars), also called Middle Indic dialects, and eventually into the contemporary modern Indo-Aryan languages.

“French Cocoa Party”

Keynesian Fields

#282561 Aug 20, 2012
rider wrote:
<quoted text>Ryan Rages Against the Machine - CNN.com
2 days ago ... Although Rage thinks Paul Ryan is just another cog in the "Machine," that doesn't
stop the Paul Ryan from rocking out to their ...
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/16/politics/ryan-m... -
My progeny would vote for Ryan, if they could, just based on this.

I'd be very hesitant. If it was just Led Zepplin, okay.
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282562 Aug 20, 2012
zhu&#333; shàng y&#466;u gè pén,
pén l&#464; y&#466;u gè píng,
pèng pèng pèng,
shì píng pèng pén,
hái shì pén pèng píng.

“French Cocoa Party”

Keynesian Fields

#282563 Aug 20, 2012
rider wrote:
zhu&#333; shàng y&#466;u gè pén,
pén l&#464; y&#466;u gè píng,
pèng pèng pèng,
shì píng pèng pén,
hái shì pén pèng píng.
I understand completely. You must be channeling by now.
rider

Ishpeming, MI

#282564 Aug 20, 2012
Let’s start with that silly 113% per year: Thats a more than doubling each year, and it would have turned $1.1 billion into $9 trillion over the same time period. So please ignore that absurd silliness. As Arends explains, it derives from the way Private Equity calculates internal rates of return. You can use it to compare private equity investments to each other, but not for anything else.

Arends calculates that

“Bain Capital, as we’ve seen, produced real dollar-on-dollar investment returns that were, at best guess, somewhere between 20% and 40% a year. If we figure the money was typically tied up for five to seven years, it was below 30%.

From 1984 through the end of 1998, the stock market overall produced gains of nearly 20% a year. If you had leveraged each dollar with $2 in debt at corporate interest rates, your returns would have ballooned to nearly 30% a year. If you’d been able to borrow $3 at corporate interest rates, you’d be up towards 35% a year. That’s how much money you could have made by issuing company bonds and then spending the money picking stocks out of the paper at random.

If they look pretty similar to the returns Bain Capital earned under Mitt Romney, maybe that’s not a complete coincidence.”

In other words, Bain produced all Beta, no Alpha. They used high leverage and took big risk for what was essentially market level rates of return. Any investor who listened to Vanguard’s John Bogle would have done about the same during 1984-1998 – just buy the S&P500 index, and hold it, reinvesting the dividends. The net returns would be ~20% per year — without giant fees or excessive risks necessary.

~~~

In my opinion, the whining (from the right!) about Bain’s outsourcing, layoffs, and the fortunes produced for insiders are misguided. That’s not why Bain should be criticized. Their fundamental flaw, at least according to the math, is that they took lots of risk, use immense leverage, and charged enormous fees, for performance that was more or less the same as indexing.

Said differently: Bain’s sins are the same sins most of Wall Street committed: Too high leverage, too much risk, excessive fees for too little performance.

Bain is worth criticizing not because they are so different, but rather, because they are pretty much just like the rest of Wall Street. And THAT’S nothing to brag about ...
Spocko

Oakland, CA

#282565 Aug 20, 2012
-Web wrote:
<quoted text>
ESPN suspended Hank Jr for one week,so Hank made the decision ESPN could no longer use his song.
Hanks Statement.
“After reading hundreds of e-mails, I have made MY decision. By pulling my opening Oct 3rd, You (ESPN) stepped on the Toes of The First Amendment
Freedom of Speech, so therefore Me, My Song, and All My Rowdy Friends are OUT OF HERE. It’s been a great run.”— Hank Williams Jr.
Like the man said: "Dumbass"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrorism Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Obama expands ISIL fight into Syria; Canada won... (Sep '14) 3 hr La Femme Accident 15
News Mohammed cartoon contest: Hundreds expected out... 7 hr Donny Brook 1
News US sees need to build bridges with Russia - Lavrov 10 hr Stephany McDowell 1
News Disturbance on Ireland-Bound Flight (Mar '08) 19 hr doodley 21
News How Obama Is Vindicating Bush (Jan '09) May 27 Boring 398
News George Galloway: leaked papers reveal Canada's ... (Apr '10) May 25 George vs USA Senate 5
News Fight for ISIS, lose your citizenship, says Aus... May 24 Grassclipper 4
More from around the web