Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Full story: www.smh.com.au 26,601

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Full Story

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#9710 Jun 27, 2012
Brett wrote:
<quoted text>If you didn't believe that homosexual behavior was serious sin, you wouldn't obsess on posting on Bible threads, consider yourself waste water, and post hate.
You are paranoid. God's Word is not intended to 'hurt' you. It is intended to save you from horrible suffering both in this life and in the next.
The Bible clearly condemns all homosexual behavior in the plainest of terms and in both Testaments. You know that well enough!
1. Projection. I believe no such thing.

2. Projection. There is no such thing as God's Word. Why would I be afraid of something which obviously doesn't exist.

3. Irrelevant ontological argument.

In order to prove that homosexuality is a sin, first you have to prove these in order:

1. That there's a god, using evidence which is testable and objectively verifiable.
2. That this god is interested in what humans do.
3. That the ideology you attribute to this god is the correct one.
4. That this deity created a concept called "sin".
5. That the creator of the concept of sin specifically communicated that homosexuality is a sin.

Start with #1, and good luck. Be objective. Use empirical evidence, not ontological arguments

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#9711 Jun 28, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Very interesting points. So you are also talking about using our gifts.
Yep, that follows with the story of the man who buried his talent out of fear.

I believe that the opposite of love is fear.

Those who fear God don't know Him.

People like David, who uses his fear of God (and he deserves to fear) are working for the opposite team.

Doesn't matter to me what religion someone is, or if they are none at all, Love is the most powerful thing we as humans can do..

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#9712 Jun 28, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, that follows with the story of the man who buried his talent out of fear.
I believe that the opposite of love is fear.
Those who fear God don't know Him.
People like David, who uses his fear of God (and he deserves to fear) are working for the opposite team.
Doesn't matter to me what religion someone is, or if they are none at all, Love is the most powerful thing we as humans can do..
Well said. It is amazing when I come here and find someone who actually knows Scripture.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#9713 Jun 28, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, that follows with the story of the man who buried his talent out of fear.
I believe that the opposite of love is fear.
Those who fear God don't know Him.
People like David, who uses his fear of God (and he deserves to fear) are working for the opposite team.
Doesn't matter to me what religion someone is, or if they are none at all, Love is the most powerful thing we as humans can do..
Yea, might be. When I observe Manito I observe a man that cannot communicate.

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#9714 Jun 28, 2012
Manmanman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, might be. When I observe Manito I observe a man that cannot communicate.
I disagree with your statement my friend. Manito communicates he has a closed mind. He communicates his arrogant beliefs. He communicates his disdain for anyone who disagrees with his ideology.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#9715 Jun 28, 2012
Manmanman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, might be. When I observe Manito I observe a man that cannot communicate.
Was I right when I told you what would happen? I have been feeding his obsession as you can plainly see.
Austin

Lacon, IL

#9716 Jun 28, 2012
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, that follows with the story of the man who buried his talent out of fear.
I believe that the opposite of love is fear.
Those who fear God don't know Him.
People like David, who uses his fear of God (and he deserves to fear) are working for the opposite team.
Doesn't matter to me what religion someone is, or if they are none at all, Love is the most powerful thing we as humans can do..
Jesus said, John 14:15, "If you love me, you will obey what I command.

Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.

Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.

Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.

I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
Jenny

El Segundo, CA

#9717 Jun 28, 2012
heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
so why do you obsess about homosexual acts?
So you admit that homosexual acts are gay?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#9718 Jun 28, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree with your statement my friend. Manito communicates he has a closed mind. He communicates his arrogant beliefs. He communicates his disdain for anyone who disagrees with his ideology.
Yea, it's fair enough to disagree; Maybe the way I can develop is to dialogue i.e. with people I disagree with. If I am secure in my conviction, I might not need to be agressive, and if I dialogue and discuss I might get challenged and can learn and develop? And I might learn to be more conscious about what I believe in? If I feel threatened I might become aggressive. That might be if I am insecure in my faith.

If I am secure in my conviction I might dare to search and ask questions and let other ask questions and check out; If I am not secure in my faith, if I believe it is weak, I might get aggressive and feel threatened if/ when people check out/ ask questions?
Victor

Lacon, IL

#9719 Jun 28, 2012
Manmanman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, it's fair enough to disagree; Maybe the way I can develop is to dialogue i.e. with people I disagree with. If I am secure in my conviction, I might not need to be agressive, and if I dialogue and discuss I might get challenged and can learn and develop? And I might learn to be more conscious about what I believe in? If I feel threatened I might become aggressive. That might be if I am insecure in my faith.
If I am secure in my conviction I might dare to search and ask questions and let other ask questions and check out; If I am not secure in my faith, if I believe it is weak, I might get aggressive and feel threatened if/ when people check out/ ask questions?
So do you really disagree with God Almighty?

Do you think your lustful opinions somehow supersede those of *GOD*?

How foolish!

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#9720 Jun 28, 2012
Manmanman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, it's fair enough to disagree; Maybe the way I can develop is to dialogue i.e. with people I disagree with. If I am secure in my conviction, I might not need to be agressive, and if I dialogue and discuss I might get challenged and can learn and develop? And I might learn to be more conscious about what I believe in? If I feel threatened I might become aggressive. That might be if I am insecure in my faith.
If I am secure in my conviction I might dare to search and ask questions and let other ask questions and check out; If I am not secure in my faith, if I believe it is weak, I might get aggressive and feel threatened if/ when people check out/ ask questions?
So are you maintaining the position Manito has no ability to communicate?
Victor

Lacon, IL

#9721 Jun 28, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you maintaining the position Manito has no ability to communicate?
It's God's Word that I have posted, you dope.

Do you think you really know better than the God of the Universes?

Yeah, I suppose you do, but just imagine where THAT is going!

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#9722 Jun 28, 2012
Victor wrote:
<quoted text>It's God's Word that I have posted, you dope.
Do you think you really know better than the God of the Universes?
Yeah, I suppose you do, but just imagine where THAT is going!
No you didn't. There is no such thing as God's Word.

You are very funny.

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#9723 Jun 28, 2012
Victor wrote:
<quoted text>It's God's Word that I have posted, you dope.
Do you think you really know better than the God of the Universes?
Yeah, I suppose you do, but just imagine where THAT is going!
... besides, I wasn't addressing you. Why do you always butt in with your stupid remarks?

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#9724 Jun 28, 2012
Manmanman wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea, it's fair enough to disagree; Maybe the way I can develop is to dialogue i.e. with people I disagree with. If I am secure in my conviction, I might not need to be agressive, and if I dialogue and discuss I might get challenged and can learn and develop? And I might learn to be more conscious about what I believe in? If I feel threatened I might become aggressive. That might be if I am insecure in my faith.
If I am secure in my conviction I might dare to search and ask questions and let other ask questions and check out; If I am not secure in my faith, if I believe it is weak, I might get aggressive and feel threatened if/ when people check out/ ask questions?
I can relate to that. I hope you didn't think I was questioning your faith.
The Great Christardo

Santa Cruz, CA

#9725 Jun 28, 2012
Austin wrote:
<quoted text>Jesus said, John 14:15, "If you love me, you will obey what I command.
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
That's funny.

I don't have those passages in my Bible.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#9726 Jun 29, 2012
Not for Manito: I observe that Manito is attacking, trying to violate my personal boundaries. I don't want to have any contact with him as long as he doesn' repent of his behaviour; I am not talking about his opinion.

So guys; What should be done with those who doesn't show respect? How should that kind of behaviour be treated? What do you think?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#9727 Jun 29, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you maintaining the position Manito has no ability to communicate?
As far as I can see communication is sharing thoughts and life; There might be a definition of communication; Not sure what that is, but Manito doesn't have much ability to share thoughts and life as far as what I have seen.

He is more like a machine that says the same again and again, but I have no idea what he thinks. There must be a lot of questions that people might wonder about. It might be fair, and when trying to get him to share some of his thoughts about subjects , it seems to me he doesn't. Don't know why, but I register that he doesn't share, as far as I can see, much of his thoughts. Fair enough, but maybe that is little communication?

Or is he good at communicating because he is sharing one message again and again; I don't know.

He is hiding behind some statements and is not sharing anything about himself, his thoughts, his feelings, his wonders? Maybe that is bad communication?

I don't know; It might be about the definition of communication. Is it to scream as high as possible? As specific as possible? As much as possible?

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#9728 Jun 29, 2012
As far as I can see it is not possible to get in contact with Manito? He is hiding, and that's fair enough, but then I will respect that, I think and not be in contact with him, let him be alone as he seems to wish?

Not sure why he wants that eventually, but I think I will just leave him until he eventually want to communicate.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#9729 Jun 29, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
So are you maintaining the position Manito has no ability to communicate?
Sorry, maybe I wasn't good at my definition of communication. It seems to me that communication might be important to build relations, and relations might be important?

Good relations might be very important?

If I shall relate to someone, I guess I need to communicate? If not, they cannot know who I am, who they shall relate to?

Manito is saying some few sentences again and again. I am not saying he is wrong, but if I should get to know him and maybe make a relation to him, he'd maybe share how he applies those truths in his life?

How he fights the challenges that might follow. How does he relate to doubt, fear? How does he deal with that? Does he find support, strength somewhere?

How does he relate and deal with and apply those truths or what he thinks is the truth? How does he deal with the challenges of life? Then it might be possible to support and build relationsships, but it doesn't seem to me that he is there, and that is okay.

I think I can never change him. That's okay, so I don't get contact with him. The only contact I get is him trying to violate my boundaries and attack me and judge me. It's okay, but I wouldn't be fair to him or honest to him if I pretended that was okay, I think.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 20 min Squach 12,056
Driving While Black - And Poor 21 min luigi 31
Anti-gay Tenn. billboard stirs religion debate 1 hr Cowobunga 2,794
Zen Buddhist Temple in Japan Offers Symbolic Sa... 2 hr Switches 30
Carrollton Free Press Standard Letters to the E... 3 hr Carroll-Co-Vietna... 5
Man charged in 10 year old assault of Fayettevi... 4 hr S gratman 2
GCC Trade and Industry Ministers participate at... 5 hr MOMIN ANSARI 1
More from around the web