Doctors often prescribe methadone

Feb 19, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: HeraldTribune.com

This is in response to the guest column Wednesday by pharmacist Dan Gregory, titled "Needless overdoses and deaths won't stop without intervention." I take exception to all of Gregory's derogatory comments ... via HeraldTribune.com

Comments
1 - 20 of 224 Comments Last updated Dec 15, 2013
First Prev
of 12
Next Last
roger mason

Pittsburgh, PA

#1 Mar 5, 2008
i want to be prescribed methadone for pain and addiction but theres nobody that will do it, unless its controlled by once a day by going to the dr. and it cost money and gas,,, any sugestions
beth c

Kansas City, MO

#2 Mar 7, 2008
Roger, Have you tried the SAMHSA site? Google SAMHSA they have a Dr. finder and clinic finder. I understand about the cost involved in going to a clinic for daily dosing, unless you find a Dr. to evaluate your pain and prescribe medications to you there is not very many alternatives? Have you tried any other ways to treat your Pain ?
Wishing you the best, I am sure that others will come along who can give you better advice than I.
Take CAre, b
Thomas

Friendswood, TX

#3 Mar 25, 2008
Yes, I have a problem with that as well. I live in Houston TX. I have chronic pain, and have two plates in my head, and my right eye socket is constructed of titanium mesh. The problem lies because I have head pain, and I have always been a migraine sufferer, and was prescribed MS Contin for pain. I was prescribed 2 X 100mg MS Contins a day. Shockingly enough after years of use NOT abuse I became physically addicted. I wanted to take care of the addiction because I don't like anything to dictate my life, but myself. I have now been taking Suboxone for over a year now, and have been in constant pain, and have been plagued with crippling migraines.

So, now I no longer take MS Contin, but I'm back at square one in just as much pain as ever. I have come to find out that Suboxone actually is known to trigger migraines in people who are prone to them. Also while I'm on Suboxone no other pain reliever will work including IB Proffen etc.

I would like to be on Methadone, but the only way I can seem to find to get it is through a Methadone Clinic. Are there Doctors that can prescribe Methadone other than SKID ROW STYLE CLINICS? I would love to have a Doctor that can take care of my issues on a 1 to 1 bases, and take advantage of the expensive insurance I have!

Thanks,
Thomas
Maximilian

Montgomery, AL

#4 Mar 26, 2008
Thomas wrote:
Yes, I have a problem with that as well. I live in Houston TX. I have chronic pain, and have two plates in my head, and my right eye socket is constructed of titanium mesh. The problem lies because I have head pain, and I have always been a migraine sufferer, and was prescribed MS Contin for pain. I was prescribed 2 X 100mg MS Contins a day. Shockingly enough after years of use NOT abuse I became physically addicted. I wanted to take care of the addiction because I don't like anything to dictate my life, but myself. I have now been taking Suboxone for over a year now, and have been in constant pain, and have been plagued with crippling migraines.
So, now I no longer take MS Contin, but I'm back at square one in just as much pain as ever. I have come to find out that Suboxone actually is known to trigger migraines in people who are prone to them. Also while I'm on Suboxone no other pain reliever will work including IB Proffen etc.
I would like to be on Methadone, but the only way I can seem to find to get it is through a Methadone Clinic. Are there Doctors that can prescribe Methadone other than SKID ROW STYLE CLINICS? I would love to have a Doctor that can take care of my issues on a 1 to 1 bases, and take advantage of the expensive insurance I have!
Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas, I have no idea why they would give you suboxone for pain as it has naloxone in it and does very little for pain. You were probably better off with the MS Contin. I only ask that you be careful before you enter down the methadone path, because guess what? It won't allow anything else in the receptors either, your breakthrough pain meds will be ineffective, though I'm sure people will tell you otherwise, its just a fact which it why it was so effective in the first place for treating addiction. Many people build tolerance quickly and are raised to astronomical doses, go to methadone sucks and read Cheryl's story. I used to be certified in pain management and have a Dr. that keeps me updated. Please read others stories on the forum, give us some more info on yourself regarding your pain and why you were place on suboxone. Is the pain visceral(doesn't sound like it) somatic(maybe) or nerve pain? These are things even pain management Dr's often fail to ask but should, and because methadone is cheap, they just pull out the pad without thinking of the ramifications. Max
Maximilian

Montgomery, AL

#5 Mar 26, 2008
Thomas wrote:
Thanks,
Thomas
I have to get my son ready for school right now, I see now why you were given the suboxone in your answer, still think it was a bad call on the Dr's part. but I do have more information for you on using opiates for chronic pain and I think everyone will find it most enlightening as it comes from an expert in psychiatry and addiction. He is both an MD and PhD, look for my answer soon. Max

“PAIN RELIEF IS A HUMAN RIGHT”

Since: Feb 08

Kalispell, MT

#6 Mar 26, 2008
Thomas wrote:
Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas, I can totally understand your situation. I am a chronic pain patient as well. Try going to www.pain.com and there you will find a doctor locater. Check to see if you can find a doctor in Houston who will prescribe. But there are other medication coming out now that are able to help with addiction control. The drugs names are Remoxy and Oxytrex. One is more apt to be less abused than the other. Google those. I believe its King Pharmaceuticals that are making them. Dont quote me tho. Its been a while since I checked on the drug and am not sure its even out yet. Methadone is a pretty strong drug and while it sounds like you suffer excruciating pain, I am not so sure its good for migraine pain. I would try something else since 200mgs of MS contin helped your pain. Hope this helps.
Maximilian

Montgomery, AL

#7 Mar 26, 2008
Thomas wrote:
Thanks,
Thomas
Thomas, sorry I didn't get back with you but my answer is under methadone please help, post # 19 Sincerely Max
April

AOL

#8 Apr 16, 2008
My husband has been too rehabs and detoxes and seems to be right back where he was with opiote addictions but not as serious. We have been looking terribly for the last few days for a doctor that can prescribe methadone because he is convinced that its the only way he can do it. He has pain issues and has had them for about six and half years now. The only clinic is 50 miles away and has you come at 3 am every moring for your dose and yo have to wait in a huge line for it. We have three small children and simply cannot do that. I will find a doctor directory and hopefully find one. If anyone finds out anything to help please let me know. We need help soon. God Bless~~

“GET TO THE CHOPPA!!!”

Since: Apr 08

Still there......

#9 Apr 17, 2008
Dear April, if it is not possible for your husband to go the clinic route, maybe you guys should look into suboxone. You can go to suboxone.com and there is a link there that will locate a doctor close to you. I'm not sure what suboxone will or won't do for his pain issues, cut there are actually dr.s that are licensed to prescribe suboxone out of their offices. I hope this helps, please look into it. Oh, as far as finding a dr. that will prescribe him methadone, most places a dr. has to be affiliated with a clinic in order to legally subscribe it.
Mister MEDS

Troy, MI

#10 Apr 24, 2008
I would go to a doctor that's licensed to prescribe SUBOXONE. Those doctors are specialized in addiction and will treat you like a patient, not an addict. I was able to get put on SUBOXONE and got off of it successfully. The only thing, was the nerve pain I suffer from quickly came back. Suboxone is very expensive and I told my Doctor that I can't afford it. I asked him for an alternative. The Doctor says "The only alternative is Methadone". So I was put on Methadone but at a very low dose. Most doctors won't prescribe the amount of Methadone that a clinic will. If you can live with taking 30 to 40 mg's a day, I would try a Suboxone Doctor. I HATE THOSE METHADONE CLINICS. I used to be at a clinic taking 80mg's a day. After I got out of the clinic and quit SUBOXONE, half the amount of methadone prescribed by my Doctor has the same effect as double at a clinic.
JImBob

United States

#11 May 1, 2008
I was taking my wife to the clinic for methadone everyday, for a year. She quit going before they told her to. Now she is having a problem. I am trying to find a DOC to get metadone for her and it is beyond my mind that I can not go to a medical practice to help her sickness. I just don't really understand this. I think that everyone some how has to bring everyone to be aware of this hidden addication. XXXX OXY'S

“Respect My AUTHORITY!”

Since: Mar 08

Rockville Centre NY

#12 May 1, 2008
Have you considered the suboxone route for your wife. Myself and others took it for a short time, now I'm hearing this is the way to go, as they may put her on it for several days and wean her off. That, change of diet, support from either A/A or N/A, friends and family that don't use can actually help. I will say this about suboxone, it did give me the courage to jump off all narcotics(excuse me, I smoked 1 joint during recovery). We have a thread called best damn detox thread for those withdrawing from methadone. It is full of helpful ideas. Go to wwwdotsuboxonedotcom, they will give you a free brochure, access to a nurse to answer questions and if you give them your zip code they will give you a list of Dr's that prescribe it your area. Good luck and God Bless.
Martin

Houston, TX

#14 May 20, 2008
Thomas, I have a doctor that prescribes methadone. He gives me 180 tabs a month. I take 60 mg of metahdone a day.
Email me martinguzmaniii@yahoo.com
Michelle

United States

#15 Aug 3, 2008
roger mason wrote:
i want to be prescribed methadone for pain and addiction but theres nobody that will do it, unless its controlled by once a day by going to the dr. and it cost money and gas,,, any sugestions
I'm having the same problem here in IN. I have found one Dr. and medicaid will even cover it,but once you owe him a bill he will never take you as a patient again. The Dr. is Dr. Ipple just to let anyone in IN know. If anyone knows of any other Dr. please email me and let me know. mlyall75@yahoo.com

“METHADONE=DEATHA DONE”

Since: Feb 08

Portsmouth

#16 Aug 3, 2008
***SKID ROW STYLE CLINICS***

Yet another new phrase...

“HELPING PREVENT DIVERSION”

Since: Jun 08

Tampa, FL

#17 Aug 3, 2008
Michelle wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm having the same problem here in IN. I have found one Dr. and medicaid will even cover it,but once you owe him a bill he will never take you as a patient again. The Dr. is Dr. Ipple just to let anyone in IN know. If anyone knows of any other Dr. please email me and let me know. mlyall75@yahoo.com
If you are addicted and in pain, I would suggest you find an addictionologist to help w/ both. Many have done a fellowship in pain mgmt. and are certified in dealing w/ addiction. A pain management clinic cannot prescibe you medication to detox, only for pain. An addictionologist will address both your pain and addiction.

But there are far and few between. If you call your local pain management doctors, they should be able to recommend you to someone in your area. Good Luck and Take Care!

PainFree
Pain Free is a Fake

UK

#18 Aug 4, 2008
Aw lookey here, Pain Free is attempting to be intelligent with a passionate twist. You aren't fooling anyone honey, your transparency is disgusting.
Pain free is a Fake

UK

#20 Aug 4, 2008
And MJ would be what? Methadone Junky such as yourself?

It seems as though we have a Topix romance on our hands here.
Ruby

Wolfeboro, NH

#22 Aug 4, 2008
Terry Wright wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, between your arse and your mouth.
You're a real class act aren't you?

“HELPING PREVENT DIVERSION”

Since: Jun 08

Tampa, FL

#23 Aug 4, 2008
Terry Wright wrote:
<quoted text>
Unlike you, she has the ability to be intelligent.
And I wouldn't go talking about transparency, when you are signing in under a pseudonym yourself MJ.
What the hell is going on here? "Pain Free is a Fake".......nice try, but Im' pretty sure I know myself better than that nutcase....lol What a weirdo!!!lol I literally cant' stop laughing...omg

Great ending to a hard day. Wow, I guess I should be flattered......lol

Have a Good Night Terry......

PainFree

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 12
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Opinion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Texas law professor calls for repeal of Second ... (Nov '13) 25 min Marauder 10,374
Nurse anesthetists aren't the same as anesthesi... (Sep '10) 38 min Butch_MD 114
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 55 min NE Jade 24,935
What lesbian couple wants doesn't trump religio... 1 hr Rainbow Justice 6
Armed and valorous 1 hr Le Jimbo 10
Gay Marriage and the Limits of Tradition 2 hr Reverend Alan 130
Franklin County towns schedule trick-or-treatin... (Oct '10) 2 hr ancient history 29
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Opinion People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••